I just bought a "Strictly Foreign" engine

Dan

May 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/11/99
We just put a 1600cc turn key engine built by a place called "Strictly
Foreign" in my wifes 1970 beetle. The engine looks REAL nice. It is super
clean and has run great so far (only ~300 miles). Does anybody have
anything to say about Strictly Foreign engines? It has a 1 year warranty
but you have to have proof of proper maintenance (receipts for 3000 and 6000
mile tune ups), its a good idea for them but damn, its not cheap to have
somebody adjust your valves, new points, new plugs, new oil, and so on. Oh
well.

--Dan

Alex Bartonek

May 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/11/99
I've never bought from them but also havent heard anything bad about them
:)
I bought a 1641cc with a 3year unlimited mileage warranty from Vanagon
Engine Connection..
It was ~$1024 for the engine, and $99 extra for the warranty...
I have about 1000 miles (around there...closer to 800) on it..runs great. :)

Alex

G.W. East

May 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/12/99
The owner of Strictly Foreign posts here on occasion. He has some strong
opinions and really sticks to them. So I would venture to say that if the
warranty has certain stipulations that must be followed to be valid, FOLLOW
THEM, otherwise you might be outa luck when/if the time comes to use the
warranty. I personally have no experience with the company, this is just an
opinion developed from his postings here.

--
Till the Next Time,
George East

Dan <dan...@northcoast.com> wrote in message

GDMCVB1

May 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/12/99
>The owner of Strictly Foreign posts here on occasion. He has some strong
>opinions and really sticks to them. So I would venture to say that if the
>warranty has certain stipulations that must be followed to be valid, FOLLOW
>THEM, otherwise you might be outa luck when/if the time comes to use the
>warranty. I personally have no experience with the company, this is just
>an
>opinion developed from his postings here.
>
>--
>Till the Next Time,
>George East
>http://www.matnet.com/~gwsvws

George, Are you sure you mean Strictly Foriegn? I know the owner of Strictly
German is an occasional poster (Jim Lutz? I think).

>Dan <dan...@northcoast.com> wrote in message
>> We just put a 1600cc turn key engine built by a place called "Strictly
>> Foreign" in my wifes 1970 beetle. The engine looks REAL nice. It is
>super
>> clean and has run great so far (only ~300 miles). Does anybody have
>> anything to say about Strictly Foreign engines? It has a 1 year warranty
>> but you have to have proof of proper maintenance (receipts for 3000 and
>6000
>> mile tune ups), its a good idea for them but damn, its not cheap to have
>> somebody adjust your valves, new points, new plugs, new oil, and so on.
>Oh
>> well.
>>
>> --Dan

Rob Armstrong
68 Baja

Corey & Tina Aikens

May 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/12/99
I dont know anything about the company, but that is the same requirments we
have on our rebuilt motors. BTW a valve adjust is
$20, $2 for VC gaskets if needed, unlikely on a new motor. As far as the
rest, of the maintainance it should all be checked at least ...pretty
much what VW recomended, unless you mean new points every 3K.
Corey

Jay Boudreau

May 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/30/99
Hey Dan , I bought a motor from them last summer. 1835. looked real nice. I took
the cylinder heads off, before the motor was even started to install some cool
tins. When i did this, i noticed some carbon build up on the top of the
cylinders. Needless to say, they installed used cylinders in my new motor. I
was/ am still very pissed. The engine never had any compression. (rings never
seated) So I sent it back, and he SAID he installed new cylinders, but voided my
warranty. Seems he had read one of my posts on the internet about how pissed I
was to find used parts in my engine. Who know what else is used in there. He
told me he can't guaranty how long my motor will last. As if he know it wont
last more that a couple of months.
He was a really nice guy when I first ordered my motor, but after he found
out that I know his little secret (how many people actually take apart a new
engine?!) He was a complete ass h*le. Buyer be ware
Later
Jay Boudreau