1999 Saturn SL2 - knocking sound from front of vehicle

Halcyon

Apr 20, 2001, 4:32:48 PM4/20/01
I've got a 1999 Saturn SL2 (manual transmission) which has given me nothing
but headaches. (I traded a fantastic 1993 Saturn SL1 in for this piece of
crap--still kicking myself). Anyway, problems started off with an
incorrectly seated driver's side front door, and it's been downhill from
there. I've had numerous parts of one kind or another replaced on this
car--it's been a constant source of problems. The latest now is a loud
knocking sound that I hear from the front of the vehicle that is audible
only at speeds under 25 miles per hour. It's not associated with either
braking or cornering, although it does occur during those times, but I hear
it frequently when I'm decelerating without braking or simply driving at
speeds below 25 mph--for example in heavy traffic or in residential areas.
I've had my local Saturn dealership inspect the car on 5 separate occasions.
First they told me that they couldn't duplicate the noise (which I knew had
to be crap), and then they told me that they'd replaced the torque axis
mount, and that should resolve the problem. Of course it didn't. I had the
car back in the shop just a few weeks ago--they insisted they'd inspected it
from top to bottom but couldn't find anything wrong. I have a hard time
believing this--it sounds serious to me, and the noise is quite audible.
Something's loose somewhere. Anyway, if anybody out there has a clue what
it might be, or has been through something similar themselves, I'd
appreciate some help with this one. Thanks in advance!

Diane

Bobbi Carothers

Apr 20, 2001, 5:15:15 PM4/20/01
On Fri, 20 Apr 2001, Halcyon wrote:

> it frequently when I'm decelerating without braking or simply driving at
> speeds below 25 mph--for example in heavy traffic or in residential areas.

It may be the odometer cable or head. I've had a soft, rhythmic clicking
from the front of the car for almost as long as I've had it, that I can
only hear at low speeds at a low RPM (less engine and road noise). I took
it in to have it fixed, they replaced the odometer head, and the noise was
gone for a few months. Then it came back. The dealer said it's not a big
deal and won't affect the car's performance. It hasn't changed over the
last four years, so I just turn the radio on when it bugs me. :)

-Bobbi, 96 SL1
Fear is that little darkroom where negatives are developed.
- Michael Prichard

#1ACGuy

Apr 20, 2001, 8:20:58 PM4/20/01
l feel your pain. lt's a shame that we have to buy a high end luxury car
before we get out of 'shitbox' level when it comes to small cars. The 01 SL2
we bought for my wife reminds me of a Celica we/she had, and l couldn't
stand that piece of crap. l'll bet this thing has as many squeeks and
rattles after 60,000 or so that the Toyota did. Just like a tinny beer can
on wheels, but the Saturn was a cheap car, and that's what we need at this
time.
Anyway, the problem you describe, (if it's not the engine itself) sounds
like it could possibly be a CV joint. They often gyro at higher speeds, so
you don't hear it then. Maybe you can get the service writer, (or better yet
the mechanic) to go for a ride with you. Good luck, but keep at it. lf it's
not warranty, l'll bet a private shop doesn't have any trouble hearing it.
Dealers seem to have selective hearing------Alex

"Halcyon" <winged...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Blue87T

Apr 21, 2001, 8:05:45 PM4/21/01
>Halcyon

>The latest now is a loud
>knocking sound that I hear from the front of the vehicle that is audible
>only at speeds under 25 miles per hour.

Noises are tough to diagnose over the computer . As inconvient as it may be I
think your best bet is to take it to the dealer, maybe a different one if you
can , and ride with the tech that will work on your car . That is a sure fire
way to make sure they hear the same noise you are hearing. If I were to guess ,
maybe a strut bearing , strut or in an extremely odd situation an inner tie
rod. But they would just be guesses.

As far as the speedo goes- the noise there is scraping from the odometer .
Yours is digital so that rules that problem out.

Rebecca Krill

Apr 22, 2001, 2:51:44 PM4/22/01
Yes, definitley have the mechanic go with you on a test drive. That is how
he finally heard the noise coming from the engine. Before that they didn't
hear a thing. This saves a lot of time bringing it in and not having
anything done to it other than a wash.