What does the word Miata mean?

Eli Troychansky

May 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/19/98

chuck reed wrote:

> Ya know, for the four years I've owned my Miata I keep reading and
> hearing that it means "reward" in high German or "high reward" in
> regular German, etc. I would like just one of the people making that
> claim to prove it. I think it's another of those erroneous "facts"
> (like the one about 'there's more spouse abuse on super bowl Sunday')
> that keeps growing because nobody bothers to check out the truth. My
> brother in law was born in Austria and grew up in Germany. He has
> never

You are in English-speaker, do YOU know every Olde English word that
ever existed?

> heard of such a word. When I called two local libraries and asked them
>
> to research it they both came back blank. Do any of you really think
> the
> Miata developement team named your car after some non-existant German
> word? Come on get real. Has anybody ever asked Mazda where they came
> up

And why not? There are companies out there whose sole business is to
produce product and company names.

> with the name Miata (and does it have to MEAN something?)? Tell me
> what
> Corvette means, or 626, or RX7.

Afaik, a Corvette is a type of ship.

--
Eli Troychansky
taa at superlink dot net

Check out my nifty and conveniently easy to use Witty-Quote-O'Matic
(tm):

"<insert quote of choice here>"
-<insert obscure author here>

There.

Eli Troychansky

May 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/19/98

Vincent W Chan wrote:

> Has anyone wondering why Japan Mazda (back to like in 1990) called it
> MX-5?
> There were MX-3, RX-7. I am not sure if MX-6 was released or not.. why
>
> didn't they called MX-7 instead of RX-7...

Sure, the MX-6 predated the MX-5 by around 2 years ('88?) if I am not
mistaken..

> Lastly, would that be a better alphabet start with "?"X-5 ?
> and what would you guys suggest?

I am partial to the "M", myself. :)

> ... now , I suddenly think the M does stand as the word Mazda. But why
>
> RX-7 is R but not M? Would that be because of ...something else.. oh..
> like
> Revolution X-7 ?

Rotary [engine].

> hmm, we have 3, 5, 6, and 7 as model series,...and the one from
> concept
> is called RX-1 and it is supposed to be one that has more power than
> Mx-5, and/or MX-6 but less power than RX-7... so... Mazda can still
> develop another 5 sport car series than would be called RX-2, RX-3...
> RX-6 as long as they are less powerful than RX-7.

I believe it's RX-01, not RX-1.

Eli Troychansky

May 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/19/98

Derek Hendrickson wrote:

> I believe the MX-6 is the Millenia?

Two separate cars. The MX-6 has been killed off along with its Ford
Probe sibling; the Millenia is still being produced, afaik.

I happen to like the Millenia. I had the opportunity to drive the
Millenia S and it's suprisingly sporty.. I liked the styling as well
(wasn't influenced by Ford, apparently).

Alan K. Young

May 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/19/98

The Millenia was supposed to be the first car in Mazda's 'image brand'
to compete with Lexus, Acura, and Infiniti. Mazda rethought the idea,
deciding there was too much competition already, but the Millenia was
already done. IMO, it is one of the most stylish AND sporty sedans
around.

Alan

Shep

May 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/20/98

On Tue, 19 May 1998 03:02:02 -0400, jas...@webtv.net (Jason 00)
wrote:

>Derek Hendrickson slurred:

>> I believe the MX-6 is the Millenia?
>

>A millenia is like a fat pig I see walking down the street? I could
>yhrow a fm II turbo in my MX-6 for cheaper and blow a millenia out? Pig
>car? I blow the millenia out all the time, snob pig boy!
>
>[ Didn't think we'd let you off THAT easy, didya Derek? Rule #263 of
>usenet: Do not post while intoxicated! = ) ]

Uh, Jason, is that really you? Did the blondes come back for round
two, or what?
Note--reply to: tshep1 at pipeline dot com
Tom and Ruby, neither of whom are:
webm...@cyberpromo.com

Jim Carr

May 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/20/98

chuck reed <chuc...@ameritech.net> wrote:
}
} BODKAZOO wrote:
} > Anyone have general Miata info on what the word Miata means, if any thing.

}

dommelen@delete_spam.SPAMeng.fsu.edu (Leon van Dommelen) writes:

>According to Miata Magazine Summer 91, the word Miata was found
>by Rod Bymaster (product planning manager Mazda USA) in the
>etymology for the word "meed". He was looking through a dictionary
>in search of inspiration for a catchy name for the MX-5; Mazda USA
>was not that sure that they would be able to sell all those Miatas
>in the USA.

Bingo. We have the Oxford English Dictionary (OED) at home and
it confirms this. (But what was he doing, looking at every M
word in there?) The _english_ word "meed" means "pay" or "reward"
(in the sense of remuneration, it seems) and first appeared in print
in Beowulf. Old english. It is spelled "mede" in Beowulf.

It is derived from a number of similar words in germanic languages,
among which is OHG (Old High German). I cannot reproduce the letters
in "mede" (funny squiggle over the first e), but other spellings in
OHG are "miede" and "miata" and also "miete" -- a word that appears
in our German dictionary and means "rent" (like to lease an apartment).

I forget what languages you speak, Leon, but you might pick up some
cognates from Dutch as well as German from the longer list in the OED
if you want to look harder. I assume OHG must be "old" in the sense
that Beowulf is old so it would not be in modern dictionaries.

--
James A. Carr <j...@scri.fsu.edu> | Commercial e-mail is _NOT_
http://www.scri.fsu.edu/~jac/ | desired to this or any address

Leon van Dommelen

May 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/20/98

j...@ibms48.scri.fsu.edu (Jim Carr) wrote:

>chuck reed <chuc...@ameritech.net> wrote:
>}
>} BODKAZOO wrote:
>} > Anyone have general Miata info on what the word Miata means, if any thing.
>}
>} Ya know, for the four years I've owned my Miata I keep reading and
>} hearing that it means "reward" in high German or "high reward" in
>} regular German, etc. ...
>
>dommelen@delete_spam.SPAMeng.fsu.edu (Leon van Dommelen) writes:
>>
>>According to Miata Magazine Summer 91, the word Miata was found
>>by Rod Bymaster (product planning manager Mazda USA) in the
>>etymology for the word "meed". He was looking through a dictionary
>>in search of inspiration for a catchy name for the MX-5; Mazda USA
>>was not that sure that they would be able to sell all those Miatas
>>in the USA.
>
> Bingo. We have the Oxford English Dictionary (OED) at home and
> it confirms this. (But what was he doing, looking at every M
> word in there?)

I can tell you that. Alliteration. Oldest trick in the book.

> The _english_ word "meed" means "pay" or "reward"
> (in the sense of remuneration, it seems) and first appeared in print
> in Beowulf. Old english. It is spelled "mede" in Beowulf.
>
> It is derived from a number of similar words in germanic languages,
> among which is OHG (Old High German). I cannot reproduce the letters
> in "mede" (funny squiggle over the first e), but other spellings in
> OHG are "miede" and "miata" and also "miete" -- a word that appears
> in our German dictionary and means "rent" (like to lease an apartment).
>
> I forget what languages you speak, Leon,

None. I pretend to speak English (without great success) and I
could speak Dutch if I could distinguish what was Dutch and what was
English. :) But you probably mean: "What languages did they try to
teach you?". Dutch, German, French, English, old Latin, old Greek.

> but you might pick up some
> cognates from Dutch as well as German from the longer list in the OED
> if you want to look harder. I assume OHG must be "old" in the sense
> that Beowulf is old so it would not be in modern dictionaries.

I do not know a word close to miata/meed in Dutch and similar words
(medogenloos, medeleven) I would guess to have a different source.
But I remember from high school that medieval Dutch is often
almost ununderstandable for modern Dutch people. Also, various
words that seem to have a very obvious origin, actually originate
from a very different source according to the language experts.
(linguists?)

Leon
--
Leon van Dommelen I am not responsible for what I say
domm...@zmiata.net-->remove z! White 1996 PEP Sebring Miata: Bozo

Nick Horianopoulos

May 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/20/98
to Jason 00

Jason 00 wrote:

> Derek Hendrickson slurred:
> > I believe the MX-6 is the Millenia?
>
> A millenia is like a fat pig I see walking down the street? I could
> yhrow a fm II turbo in my MX-6 for cheaper and blow a millenia out? Pig
> car? I blow the millenia out all the time, snob pig boy!
>
> [ Didn't think we'd let you off THAT easy, didya Derek? Rule #263 of
> usenet: Do not post while intoxicated! = ) ]
>
> --
> Henek Derdrickson
> Didireallypostthat, NC
> '96 MX-6 GT 83,545/122,000

BWWWAAAAAA!!!! BWAAHHAAA AHAHHA H AHHHA AHAHAHA HAA!!

I nearly cried my baby browns out when I read this...

VERY nicely done, Jason! Ol' blondy blonde doesn't just love you for
your Miata or your dashing good looks, she likes the way you make her
laugh, I'd bet!
--
Niko

Stop in and feed the Animal! http://www.concentric.net/~Greek/

Jason 00

May 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/20/98

Shep wrote:
> Ah, Jason, is that really you?

Sorry, inside joke on Derek. Just poking some fun. You know me, the
clas... er, newsgroup clown. = )

Jason

--
'92 base
http:// members.tripod.com/~JasonZero

Jeff Burns

May 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/20/98

Eli Troychansky wrote:

> Sure, the MX-6 predated the MX-5 by around 2 years ('88?) if I am not
> mistaken..

MX-6 was the name applied to the two-door 626. Believe '97 was the last
year for the MX-6.

Didn't the Millenia-S have the supercharged Sterling engine? As I recall,
this engine was/is a gem. Very smooth power and excellent economy.

Eli Troychansky

May 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/20/98

Jeff Burns wrote:

> MX-6 was the name applied to the two-door 626. Believe '97 was the
> last
> year for the MX-6.

I am not sure if and how the MX-6 is related to the 626. I am sure that
they share some components from the corporate parts bin, but I've never
heard it referred to as the "two-door 626". Not saying that you are
wrong, but I was under the impression that it was a completely separate
model.

I believe that Mazda had an MX-6 "M edition" at one point. Blasphemy!
:)

> Didn't the Millenia-S have the supercharged Sterling engine? As I
> recall,
> this engine was/is a gem. Very smooth power and excellent economy.

Yes sir. Don't remember if "Sterling" was the official designation, but
I believe that it utilized a twin-screw (Lysholm?) supercharger. I
didn't have the opportunity to observe the mileage first hand, but the
are indeed impressive.. The Millenia is still being produced, right?

Eli Troychansky

May 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/20/98

Alan K. Young wrote:

> The Millenia was supposed to be the first car in Mazda's 'image brand'
>
> to compete with Lexus, Acura, and Infiniti. Mazda rethought the idea,
> deciding there was too much competition already, but the Millenia was
> already done. IMO, it is one of the most stylish AND sporty sedans
> around.

Amen.

As I previously mentioned, the brand was supposed to be called "Amati".
Hmm, wonder what word that is an amalgam of. :)

Felix Miata

May 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/21/98
to gr...@koncentric.net

Nick Horianopoulos wrote:

> Jeff Burns wrote:

> > Eli Troychansky wrote:

> > > Sure, the MX-6 predated the MX-5 by around 2 years ('88?) if I am not
> > > mistaken..

> > MX-6 was the name applied to the two-door 626. Believe '97 was the last
> > year for the MX-6.

The 626 and MX-6 shared mainly some powertrain stuff. Unlike the 626,
the MX-6 & Ford Probe are essentially the same car. An MX-6 2-door is
more than 200 pounds heavier (larger) than a 4-door 626, which has also
always been available in a lighter 2-door, even back to the RWD 1979
model. In the June '86 "Car & Driver", the 626 GT had a 98.8 inch
wheelbase and a 2680 pound curb weight. In the March '88 "Car & Driver",
the Probe GT had a 99.0 inch wheelbase & weighed 2940 pounds.

> > Didn't the Millenia-S have the supercharged Sterling engine? As I recall,
> > this engine was/is a gem. Very smooth power and excellent economy.

> It was a Miller-Cycle engine, I recall that. I can't, for the life of
> me, remember how a Miller Cycle engine works -- anybody care to explain?

Miller cycle is a fancy name for Mazda's supercharging system. The
intake valves close very late, much like the auxiliary ports in the
6-port rotary. When I find the article in "Road & Track" or "Car &
Driver" in the next week or so, it will be listed on my site among the
road test articles (Millenia S) at
http://www.gate.net/~mrmazda/magtests.txt
--
"It is impossible to rightly govern the world without God and the
Bible." George Washington

Team OS/2 *** Rotary ONLY since 1973

Felix Miata *** http://www.gate.net/~mrmazda

Enter Name Here

May 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/21/98

> The 626 and MX-6 shared mainly some powertrain stuff.

Not to mention that the MX6 was the first Japanese car to be classified
as a domestic in the United States due to largely American parts
content, IIRC.

S&W

AkiraRdstr

May 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/21/98

I believe that the 626 sedan was the first auto to be classified as such (my
turn---IIRC!). Both the MX-6 and 626 were built in the Ford/Mazda
joint-venture plant at Flat Rock, MI; all MX-6s were built there, while the
626 was also built in Japan at the same time until Mazda began to source all
626 production from the States.
--
"Akira"
'96 Chaste A/T http://www.eunos.com/keith/stripes/akira.html

"Open the door. Open the top. Open the mind."
---from '99 Roadster sales brochure (Japan)

Kennedy

May 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/21/98

In article <356328...@concentric.net>, Nick Horianopoulos
<gr...@concentric.net> writes

>It was a Miller-Cycle engine, I recall that. I can't, for the life of
>me, remember how a Miller Cycle engine works -- anybody care to explain?

Doesn't the Miller engine run on 6-packs? ;-)
--
Kennedy
First a 91 - Classic Red: Registration Plate - Jill RKM

Kennedy

May 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/21/98

In article <6jsr4a$55e$1...@earth.superlink.net>, Eli Troychansky
<taa****SPAMBLOCK*****@superlink.net> writes
>chuck reed wrote:
<Snip>

> My
>> brother in law was born in Austria and grew up in Germany. He has
>> never
>
>You are in English-speaker, do YOU know every Olde English word that
>ever existed?

No, but I've probably been called most of them at one time or another!
:-)

Alan K. Young

May 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/21/98

Interestingly enough, Amati is a real word, too!

Amati
(1)a violin made by a member of the Amati family of Cremona
(2) family of Italian violin makers of Cremona: especially Nicolò
1596-1684; teacher of Antonio Stradivari and of Andrea Guarneri;
improved violin and developed grand Amati

PS - Eli, as someone else posted, the Millenia engine is a Miller Cycle,
not a Sterling.

Alan

Eli Troychansky

May 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/21/98

Alan K. Young wrote:

> Interestingly enough, Amati is a real word, too!
>
> Amati
> (1)a violin made by a member of the Amati family of Cremona
> (2) family of Italian violin makers of Cremona: especially Nicolò
> 1596-1684; teacher of Antonio Stradivari and of Andrea Guarneri;
> improved violin and developed grand Amati

Let me guess. Olde Swahili? :)

Interesting bit of trivia. In all seriousness, I happen to like "Amati"
as a name for a luxury car line. It has a certain ring to it. Perhaps we
will eventually see it on a production car, unless Ford has other
plans..

> PS - Eli, as someone else posted, the Millenia engine is a Miller
> Cycle,
> not a Sterling.

Never said that it was -- someone else did. But thanks for removing all
doubt..

I did say that the engine might have been augmented with a Lysholm
(sic?) supercharger. I am not sure if that's been discredited? I haven't
seen any posts regarding the type of supercharger that it utilized..

Nick Horianopoulos

May 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/21/98

Kennedy wrote:

> In article <356328...@concentric.net>, Nick Horianopoulos
> <gr...@concentric.net> writes
> >
> >It was a Miller-Cycle engine, I recall that. I can't, for the life of
> >me, remember how a Miller Cycle engine works -- anybody care to explain?
>
> Doesn't the Miller engine run on 6-packs? ;-)

> --
> Kennedy
> First a 91 - Classic Red: Registration Plate - Jill RKM
> Now a 98 Limited Edition Berkeley #397 of 400 on the same plate.
> (to reply replace nospam with kennedym)

Gaaaaaaad, Kennedy! You're wittier than that, we've seen it!

Alan K. Young

May 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/21/98

Eli Troychansky wrote:

> Alan K. Young wrote:
>
> > Interestingly enough, Amati is a real word, too!
> >
> > Amati
> > (1)a violin made by a member of the Amati family of Cremona
> > (2) family of Italian violin makers of Cremona: especially Nicolò
> > 1596-1684; teacher of Antonio Stradivari and of Andrea Guarneri;
> > improved violin and developed grand Amati
>
> Let me guess. Olde Swahili? :)

Uhhhhhhhh..... Italian (since it is a family name of the teacher of
Antonio Stradivari and of Andrea Guarneri - if those names aren't
familiar, you don't know much about violins!- Maybe if I knew more, I
would have been familiar with Amati!) BTW, until this thread I never
knew there were so many online dictionaries! As a closet
etymology-addict, this could be worse than my dictionary-reading
tendencies!

> Interesting bit of trivia. In all seriousness, I happen to like "Amati"
> as a name for a luxury car line. It has a certain ring to it.

I agree - it sounds classy

Man, these "**** wrote:" things are hard to follow sometimes!!!

> I did say that the engine might have been augmented with a Lysholm
> (sic?) supercharger.

It *is* a Lysholm (or something spelled close to that!) supercharger.
Somewhere in my massive dust-covered archives I have several articles on
exactly how that funky Miller cycle thing works! It is basically a
normal internal combustion piston engine with very strange valve timing
that uses the supercharger to make the air go in the right direction
moreso than 'packing' the cylinders in a typical turbo/supercharger
application.

Alan

Jason 00

May 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/22/98

Just wondering... did any of you ever (originally) think the Miata name
came from the Siata (Spring)? I mean, it's a roadster just like the
Miata, and it has the round headlights, and the name sounds the same...

Ugly has hell though. = )

AkiraRdstr

May 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/22/98

>Just wondering... did any of you ever (originally) think the Miata name
>came from the Siata (Spring)? >

Societa Italiana Applicazione Trasformazione Automobilistiche. The name of the
company that built the pitiful Spring...but of course, you read the July SCC,
too?

> I mean, it's a roadster just like the
>Miata, >

"Just like the Miata?" LOL!

> and it has the round headlights, and the name sounds the same...
>
>Ugly has hell though. = )

Too bad they didn't fit pop-ups to it.... ;-)

Paul Funk

May 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/24/98
to BODKAZOO

Cruising through the net one day I found some information at a site that
suggested that the word 'miata' comes from another word - 'meed' and that both
have a connotation of meaning 'reward.' Hope that helps.

cooc...@gmail.com

Feb 20, 2015, 12:11:17 PM2/20/15
On Sunday, May 17, 1998 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-4, BODKAZOO wrote:
> Anyone have general Miata info on what the word Miata means, if any thing.

Rod Bymaster, Mazda's head of product planning and marketing for the Miata project back in the early days, claims his "biggest contribution to the project was to have found the word Miata in Webster's Dictionary, which is defined as "reward in Old High German."

Dave Christian (to reply, see sig)

May 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/17/98

In article <199805171346...@ladder01.news.aol.com>,
bodk...@aol.com says...

> Anyone have general Miata info on what the word Miata means, if any thing.

To me, it means "Bug-eating smile."

--
Dave Christian

To email me, change my domain name to what's right.
You're smart, you figure it out.

Who are
bulk...@infoback.net jo...@INFOBACK.COM d...@INFOBACK.COM
bil...@INFOBACK.COM ca...@CRHOADS.COM crh...@PRIMENET.COM
ad...@HOMEMPLOYMENT.COM in...@picmktg.com pics...@VOYAGER.NET
rem...@picmktg.com how...@HOWDEE.COM mrac...@CASINOCHICO.COM
ad...@WEBSITE-HOSTINGS.COM hostm...@WEBSITE-HOSTINGS.COM
and why were they involved in sending me unsolicited commercial email?

Patz!

May 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/17/98

It means "reward" in german.

--
Regards,
Patz!
BODKAZOO wrote in message
<199805171346...@ladder01.news.aol.com>...

dek...@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca

May 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/17/98

Miata means High Reward in old German.

Regards,

Richard Dekker, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, MCofA #41997
Founder & President, Wild Rose Chapter - MCofA

1990 MX-5 Miata - Bell Stage III+ - "Turbos Blow"
1973 RX-3 - Rally Port 13B - "Pistons Suck"

Eli Troychansky

May 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/17/98

BODKAZOO wrote:

> Anyone have general Miata info on what the word Miata means, if any
> thing.

German for "reward". Don't recall whether it's an origin or the literal
translation.

Jim Carr

May 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/17/98

bodk...@aol.com (BODKAZOO) writes:

>Anyone have general Miata info on what the word Miata means, if any thing.

Me oughta get one.

BODKAZOO

May 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/17/98

Jason 00

May 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/17/98

It is an old German word (no longer used) that basically means "high
reward".

Jason

--
'92 Base
http://members.tripod.com/~JasonZero
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Enter Name Here

May 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/18/98

chuck reed wrote:

> BODKAZOO wrote:
> >
> > Anyone have general Miata info on what the word Miata means, if any thing.
>
> Ya know, for the four years I've owned my Miata I keep reading and
> hearing that it means "reward" in high German or "high reward" in
> regular German, etc. I would like just one of the people making that
> claim to prove it.

Well, according to the first articles, written by those that drove the
production prototypes in 1989 and published in the same year, Mazda
is "one of the people making that claim."

I think it's another of those erroneous "facts"
> (like the one about 'there's more spouse abuse on super bowl Sunday')
> that keeps growing because nobody bothers to check out the truth. My

> brother in law was born in Austria and grew up in Germany. He has never

> heard of such a word.

It's archaic. It's not used anymore. There are many words in English
I gar-on-tee you wouldn't recognize if spoken, and neither would most
scholars.

When I called two local libraries and asked them
> to research it they both came back blank.

Just because you work in a library doesn't make you an expert on
language, especially one that is foreign. Hell, just because you work
in a library doesn't even mean you can *read.*

Do any of you really think the
> Miata developement team named your car after some non-existant German
> word?

In a word? Yes. Stranger things have happened. Think about it. Axxess,
Lexus, Camry, Infiniti amongst others. These aren't even words. But they
use them for cars.

Come on get real. Has anybody ever asked Mazda where they came up
> with the name Miata (and does it have to MEAN something?)? Tell me what
> Corvette means, or 626, or RX7.

626 and RX7 are numerical designations, just like MX5. I don't remember
the story behind corvette, but I do know that some ships are called
corvettes.

Peter Brusa has the original Miata article from, I believe, Road and
Track, where the definition of Miata is given. The author drove the
car and got the press kit from Mazda, so I would say he is right.
Sorry, but I can't get more real than this.

Felix Miata

May 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/18/98

chuck reed wrote:

> BODKAZOO wrote:

> > Anyone have general Miata info on what the word Miata means, if any thing.

> Ya know, for the four years I've owned my Miata I keep reading and
> hearing that it means "reward" in high German or "high reward" in
> regular German, etc. I would like just one of the people making that

> claim to prove it. I think it's another of those erroneous "facts"

> (like the one about 'there's more spouse abuse on super bowl Sunday')
> that keeps growing because nobody bothers to check out the truth. My
> brother in law was born in Austria and grew up in Germany. He has never

> heard of such a word. When I called two local libraries and asked them
> to research it they both came back blank. Do any of you really think the

> Miata developement team named your car after some non-existant German

> word? Come on get real. Has anybody ever asked Mazda where they came up

> with the name Miata (and does it have to MEAN something?)? Tell me what
> Corvette means, or 626, or RX7.

Mazda *R*otary models e*X*ported and model year first sold in the US
were:

1 1970 R-100 (Japanese Familia)
2 1971 RX-2 (Japanese Capella)
3 1972 RX-3 (Japanese Savanna)
4 1974 RX-4 (Japanese Luce)
5 1974 REPU (Rotary Engine PickUp, sold only in the US market)
6 1976 Cosmo (RX-5 in some markets)
7 1979 RX-7
--
"Without an humble imitation of the characteristics of the Divine Author
of our blessed religion . . . we can never hope to be a happy

Brian Clark

May 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/18/98

...and the corvette was named after a sleek looking sub-hunting ship from the
eara.
--
Brian Clark
(Remove "SPAMICIDE" to contact.)

Jason 00

May 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/18/98

Nice way to introduce yourself to the group, Chuck. Start off with a
bang, right?
Anyway, I stand by my answer ('high reward' in old German) because I
have Tom Matano himself answering the question on videotape. Bob Hall
has given the same reply in many an interview.

The reason you were unable to find the word is because of a variation in
the spelling. I believe it was originally two seperate words.

Why does it bother you so much? Do you feel that this is all just a big
conspiracy by Mazda to trick us?

Maybe a nice long drive would do you some good, Chief.

Leon van Dommelen

May 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/18/98

chuck reed <chuc...@ameritech.net> wrote:

>BODKAZOO wrote:
>>
>> Anyone have general Miata info on what the word Miata means, if any thing.
>

>Ya know, for the four years I've owned my Miata I keep reading and
>hearing that it means "reward" in high German or "high reward" in
>regular German, etc. I would like just one of the people making that
>claim to prove it. I think it's another of those erroneous "facts"
>(like the one about 'there's more spouse abuse on super bowl Sunday')
>that keeps growing because nobody bothers to check out the truth. My
>brother in law was born in Austria and grew up in Germany. He has never
>heard of such a word. When I called two local libraries and asked them
>to research it they both came back blank. Do any of you really think the
>Miata developement team named your car after some non-existant German
>word? Come on get real. Has anybody ever asked Mazda where they came up
>with the name Miata

According to Miata Magazine Summer 91, the word Miata was found
by Rod Bymaster (product planning manager Mazda USA) in the
etymology for the word "meed". He was looking through a dictionary
in search of inspiration for a catchy name for the MX-5; Mazda USA
was not that sure that they would be able to sell all those Miatas
in the USA.

>(and does it have to MEAN something?)? Tell me what
>Corvette means, or 626, or RX7.

Leon
--
Leon van Dommelen I am not responsible for what I say
domm...@zmiata.net-->remove z! White 1996 PEP Sebring Miata: Bozo
http://www.eng.fsu.edu/~dommelen See my list of goodies

Ron Loewy

May 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/18/98

>... now , I suddenly think the M does stand as the word Mazda. But why
>RX-7 is R but not M? Would that be because of ...something else.. oh.. like
>Revolution X-7 ?

Rotary for the engine would be my guess.

Ron.
(Which actually stands for Rotary On ;-) ).

Vincent W Chan

May 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/18/98

now I know... the meaning. not bad "high reward".

But "Miata", "Eunos" and "MX-5" .... I still like the name MX-5.

Has anyone wondering why Japan Mazda (back to like in 1990) called it MX-5?
There were MX-3, RX-7. I am not sure if MX-6 was released or not.. why
didn't they called MX-7 instead of RX-7...
Lastly, would that be a better alphabet start with "?"X-5 ?
and what would you guys suggest?

... now , I suddenly think the M does stand as the word Mazda. But why
RX-7 is R but not M? Would that be because of ...something else.. oh.. like
Revolution X-7 ?

hmm, we have 3, 5, 6, and 7 as model series,...and the one from concept
is called RX-1 and it is supposed to be one that has more power than
Mx-5, and/or MX-6 but less power than RX-7... so... Mazda can still
develop another 5 sport car series than would be called RX-2, RX-3...
RX-6 as long as they are less powerful than RX-7.

Then...May be they shall call it RX-6 instead of RX-1 if it is going to be
more power than the MX-5 ...so that MX-5 will later re-modified and
change to RX-5. (forget it... I know I say too much...)

However, I think that doesn't sound good. What one might sound good is
"Miata R" or "Miata Revolution".

my little thought ...
--
-Vincent
Miata M-II White PEP --

chuck reed

May 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/18/98

BODKAZOO wrote:

> Anyone have general Miata info on what the word Miata means, if any thing.

Ya know, for the four years I've owned my Miata I keep reading and
hearing that it means "reward" in high German or "high reward" in
regular German, etc. I would like just one of the people making that
claim to prove it. I think it's another of those erroneous "facts"
(like the one about 'there's more spouse abuse on super bowl Sunday')
that keeps growing because nobody bothers to check out the truth. My
brother in law was born in Austria and grew up in Germany. He has never
heard of such a word. When I called two local libraries and asked them
to research it they both came back blank. Do any of you really think the
Miata developement team named your car after some non-existant German
word? Come on get real. Has anybody ever asked Mazda where they came up

with the name Miata (and does it have to MEAN something?)? Tell me what

Johannes Swartling

May 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/18/98

From the online Webster:

Main Entry: meed
Pronunciation: 'mEd
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, from Old English mEd; akin to Old High German
miata reward, Greek misthos
Date: before 12th century
1 archaic : an earned reward or wage
2 : a fitting return or recompense

Johannes

Derek Hendrickson

May 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/19/98

I believe the MX-6 is the Millenia?

--
Derek Hendrickson
Greenville, NC 27834
97' STO 328/1500

Jason 00

May 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/19/98

Derek Hendrickson slurred:

> I believe the MX-6 is the Millenia?

A millenia is like a fat pig I see walking down the street? I could
yhrow a fm II turbo in my MX-6 for cheaper and blow a millenia out? Pig
car? I blow the millenia out all the time, snob pig boy!

[ Didn't think we'd let you off THAT easy, didya Derek? Rule #263 of
usenet: Do not post while intoxicated! = ) ]

--
Henek Derdrickson
Didireallypostthat, NC
'96 MX-6 GT 83,545/122,000

Charles Kelly

May 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/19/98

Brian Clark <cla...@ihug.SPAMICIDE.co.nz> wrote:

>...and the corvette was named after a sleek looking sub-hunting ship from the
>eara.

From Webster's Dictionary Online -
http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=corvette

Main Entry: cor暇ette
Pronunciation: kor-'vet
Function: noun
Etymology: French, from Middle French, probably from Middle Dutch
corf, a kind of ship, literally, basket -- more at CORF
Date: 1636
1 : a warship ranking in the old sailing navies next below a
frigate
2 : a highly maneuverable armed escort ship that is smaller than
a destroyer

====
Spam & UCE resistant header information... Reply to:

kellycp AT nbnet DOT nb DOT ca

Charles Kelly (Bingo on Starlink IRC)
====

Enter Name Here

May 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/19/98

Derek Hendrickson wrote:

> I believe the MX-6 is the Millenia?

Nopers. Entirely different critter. WAY different critter.

foreste...@gmail.com

Mar 10, 2018, 3:01:54 PM3/10/18
Reward in Germany
Message has been deleted