99 Interior Smell - PU

1 view

Thomas Mac Donald

Apr 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/7/99
My 99 Silver, w/Black cloth interior smells like hell. On a warm day it
smells like a plastic factory is on fire. Has anyone had tis problem
too? I beleive it's the cheap plastic on the dash, what can be done
about it? Anyone solved this problem?

Scott and Woody

Apr 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/7/99

My problem is solved. My car is 3 years old. It just takes a while for
the plastic and adhesives to gas out. Just leave the top down and
drive. It'll go away over time. The new Toyotas I used to sell stunk
for awhile as well. It's just the nature of the new interior materials
in modern cars.

Scott and Woody

LAWTLM

Apr 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/7/99
I have not run across the smell problem. I have a 99 black with cloth
interior. I have had it a year. Maybe with time your smell will go away.
Tracey

John Bobincheck

Apr 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/7/99
I agree with you, new cars make me want to vomit. Luckily you chose a car
with the biggest window available! Drop the top and enjoy the ride.
Thomas Mac Donald <Mac...@webtv.net> wrote in message

Stuart Portner

Apr 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/7/99
And the "smell" lands on the inside of the windshield as a difficult to
remove "haze".
--
-=Stu=-
To E-mail a reply, please use the E-mail link at my website.

Scott and Woody <miata...@hotmail.com> wrote in article
<370B391D...@hotmail.com>...

Tim Crews

Apr 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/8/99
There has been a big hubbub about the presence of
"phthalates" (sp?) in soft plastic toys made for
young children, because supposedly the phthalates
cause various health problems. In one article on
the subject, it was claimed that the "new car smell"
is actually the emission of phthalates from the
plastics used in the car.

I did not notice any unpleasant odor in my new
'99 Miata. I just noticed the usual new car smell,
which is quite pleasant to me.

As far as the hazy windshield problem, I have always
found it to be exacerbated by heat. Here in Phoenix,
AZ, I particularly notice that the haze on the
windshields accumulates much more quickly in the
summer. Worst of all was when I chose to use
Armor-All on the interior of my car. I will never
_never_ _NEVER_ do this again. The next two years
were spent wiping the haze off of my windshield
every morning. The haze is very difficult to remove
completely, and is absolutely terrible for visibility
when facing into any bright lights.

Tim Crews
timc...@home.com