Re: Hat that won't blow off

Message has been deleted

Zog The Undeniable

Apr 10, 2007, 2:54:43 PM4/10/07
Lobster Picnic wrote:
> I usually use my Miata just for around town, but even here (it's
> a big town!) I find myself doing 75 MPH and I'm constantly
> having to push my hat down as the wind tries to sweep it away.
>
> I currently use one of those flat, nearly-brimless knit driving
> caps. I have tried a tight-fitting baseball cap, which hurts my
> head it's so tight and the wind catches the bill anyway. I have
> even tried a very wintery-looking knit cap my wife made, like
> the ones I wore sledding as a kid in Buffalo. Besides looking
> rather stupid, the darn wind STILL managed to snatch it away.
>
> Anyway, I'm planning a long trip this summer which will involve
> a lot of 80 MPH highway driving. Anybody have a suggestion for
> headgear that:
>
> A - does not look colossally stupid
>
> and
>
> B - absolutely will not blow off
>
> Thanks!

Cotton cycling cap, sometimes called a casquette.

Message has been deleted

Natman

Apr 10, 2007, 11:59:24 AM4/10/07

I use a khaki colored military "boonie" hat. It has a 360 degree brim
that keeps the sun off my ears and neck and a chin strap. The useless
strap around the crown can be removed with a seam ripper.

http://www.patriotsurplus.com/Shop/Control/Product/fp/SFV/31182/vpid/1985353/vpcsid/0/rid/119871

How well it meets condition A is up to you, but it meets condition B
nicely.

Iva

Apr 10, 2007, 12:40:32 PM4/10/07
Lobster Picnic wrote:
<snippage>

> Anyway, I'm planning a long trip this summer which will involve
> a lot of 80 MPH highway driving. Anybody have a suggestion for
> headgear that:
>
> A - does not look colossally stupid
>
> and
>
> B - absolutely will not blow off
>
> Thanks!

I still haven't found a hat that fits both of those and I've had Belle
for 12 years. And a *lot* of hats.

The one thing that I found that does help is a piece of cord with
alligator clips on both ends - one end attaches to the hat, the other
to your shirt. That way if the hat does fly off, at least it's still
in your car and not on the road.

Let me know if you find something!

Iva & Belle.)
'90B Classic Red.)
#3 winkin' Miata

Lanny Chambers

Apr 10, 2007, 1:01:25 PM4/10/07
In article <Xns990E717...@earthlink.net>,

Lobster Picnic <don't...@eventhinkaboutit.net> wrote:

> Anyway, I'm planning a long trip this summer which will involve
> a lot of 80 MPH highway driving. Anybody have a suggestion for
> headgear that:
>
> A - does not look colossally stupid
>
> and
>
> B - absolutely will not blow off

ANY hat can blow off, if you're careless; leash straps can work if
you're not going too fast. I've had excellent results with a Patagonia
Spoonbill, a close-fitting nylon ballcap with an extra-long bill. It
extends quite far down the back of my head, and has an elastic
adjustment strap, so it stays put without being uncomfortably tight. I
bought it at REI.

pws

Apr 10, 2007, 4:58:44 PM4/10/07
Lanny Chambers wrote:

> ANY hat can blow off, if you're careless; leash straps can work if
> you're not going too fast. I've had excellent results with a Patagonia
> Spoonbill, a close-fitting nylon ballcap with an extra-long bill. It
> extends quite far down the back of my head, and has an elastic
> adjustment strap, so it stays put without being uncomfortably tight. I
> bought it at REI.

Not true, this baby has never come off at any speed since I finished
knitting it about 5 years ago.

http://tinyurl.com/2ogk9d

Pat

Lanny Chambers

Apr 10, 2007, 5:22:18 PM4/10/07
In article <461bfb87$0$18871$4c36...@roadrunner.com>,
pws <pwsh...@austin.rr.com> wrote:

> Not true, this baby has never come off at any speed since I finished
> knitting it about 5 years ago.
>
> http://tinyurl.com/2ogk9d

Oh Pat, I'll bet you look simply precious in that.

I'm not real big on either fashion or stereotypes, but if you ever see
me in such a thing, please just put me out of my misery. I won't mind,
since my brain will already have joined the bleedin' choir invisible.

pws

Apr 10, 2007, 5:30:25 PM4/10/07
Lanny Chambers wrote:

> Oh Pat, I'll bet you look simply precious in that.
>
> I'm not real big on either fashion or stereotypes, but if you ever see
> me in such a thing, please just put me out of my misery. I won't mind,
> since my brain will already have joined the bleedin' choir invisible.

I'll be there for ya man. :-)

Pat

Dana Rohleder

Apr 10, 2007, 10:51:09 PM4/10/07
While just about any hat protects your scalp, it is also important to
protect your ears, neck and face. I use a Tilley hat that has both a chin
strap and a strap that goes behind your head to keep it from blowing
forward. They also have a thin layer of foam in the crown that is there for
both flotation and insulation. They even are guaranteed against loss, as
long as you are using your chinstrap.

http://www.tilley.com/

--
Boreal
2001 LS 6 speed Silver/tan, Sport Suspension w/hard rear sway bar

"Lobster Picnic" <don't...@eventhinkaboutit.net> wrote in message

>I usually use my Miata just for around town, but even here (it's
> a big town!) I find myself doing 75 MPH and I'm constantly
> having to push my hat down as the wind tries to sweep it away.
>
> I currently use one of those flat, nearly-brimless knit driving
> caps. I have tried a tight-fitting baseball cap, which hurts my
> head it's so tight and the wind catches the bill anyway. I have
> even tried a very wintery-looking knit cap my wife made, like
> the ones I wore sledding as a kid in Buffalo. Besides looking
> rather stupid, the darn wind STILL managed to snatch it away.
>

> Anyway, I'm planning a long trip this summer which will involve
> a lot of 80 MPH highway driving. Anybody have a suggestion for
> headgear that:
>
> A - does not look colossally stupid
>
> and
>
> B - absolutely will not blow off
>

> Thanks!

Lanny Chambers

Apr 10, 2007, 11:18:55 PM4/10/07
In article <x3YSh.395$yM5...@newsfe02.lga>,
"Dana Rohleder" <bor...@charter.net> wrote:

> While just about any hat protects your scalp, it is also important to
> protect your ears, neck and face.

That's what SPF30 is for. Hats are for our bald spots.

Chris D'Agnolo

Apr 11, 2007, 1:07:32 AM4/11/07
OMG, Naughty Needlers? You're scaring me now!

Chris
99BBB

"pws" <pwsh...@austin.rr.com> wrote in message

pws

Apr 11, 2007, 5:18:12 AM4/11/07
Chris D'Agnolo wrote:
> OMG, Naughty Needlers? You're scaring me now!
>
> Chris
> 99BBB

Such stereotyping. Needlecraft can be very relaxing, and it produces
useful products like the devil hat. It can also help to be naughty while
needling.

Can you immediately tell if something is traditional needlepoint,
counted cross-stitch or petit point?
I didn't think so, who is the big man now? ;-)

Pat

Dana Rohleder

Apr 11, 2007, 7:57:43 AM4/11/07
Two words - bird droppings.......

--
Boreal
2001 LS 6 speed Silver/tan, Sport Suspension w/hard rear sway bar

"Lanny Chambers" <la...@hummingbirds.net> wrote in message

miker

Apr 11, 2007, 1:03:49 PM4/11/07
> Thanks also to the others who offered suggestions. The Boonie
> hats look like a good, cheap solution.
>
> As for the knitted devil horns....let's just say it's a blatant
> violation of rule A.

I suppose you won't like mine either. Matching black pudding-basin helmet,
with goggles.

miker

Scott Hughes

Apr 11, 2007, 6:24:28 PM4/11/07

> Thanks - the Tilley hats look really nice. This might do the
> trick. I assume the back brim is forgiving enough that you can
> use the headrest with no problems.

> Thanks also to the others who offered suggestions. The Boonie
> hats look like a good, cheap solution.
>
> As for the knitted devil horns....let's just say it's a blatant
> violation of rule A.
>

> '90B Silverstone

I use a bucket hat (think I paid $5 for the current one), which is fairly
similar to the Tilley & the Boonie I guess.

http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=bucket+hat&hl=en&rlz=1B2GGGL_enUS176
&um=1&sa=X&oi=froogle&ct=title

My biggest complaint about baseball hats is the reduced visibility. If
the sun is right in front of you, you have to pull the hat down to block
it, then the sides of the brim block your peripheral vision. The bucket
hat gives you the sun protection w/o sacrificing much vision. I don't
have a string/tie on mine, altho I've thought about picking one up. I've
never lost one on the road - thought I was gonna a few times but it
didn't come off all the way (probably been using that type of hat for 4-
6yrs).

Looks - well, I think it's decent at least.
Blow-off risk - very low.

-Scott

John McGaw

Apr 25, 2007, 8:28:51 PM4/25/07
Lobster Picnic wrote:
> "Dana Rohleder" <bor...@charter.net> wrote in
>
>> While just about any hat protects your scalp, it is also
>> important to protect your ears, neck and face. I use a
>> Tilley hat that has both a chin strap and a strap that goes
>> behind your head to keep it from blowing forward. They also
>> have a thin layer of foam in the crown that is there for
>> both flotation and insulation. They even are guaranteed
>> against loss, as long as you are using your chinstrap.
>>
>> http://www.tilley.com/
>>

> Thanks - the Tilley hats look really nice. This might do the
> trick. I assume the back brim is forgiving enough that you can
> use the headrest with no problems.
>
> Thanks also to the others who offered suggestions. The Boonie
> hats look like a good, cheap solution.
>
> As for the knitted devil horns....let's just say it's a blatant
> violation of rule A.
>
> '90B Silverstone

A late candidate: I think that my Sugoi runner's cap is as close to
blow-off-proof as anything I've seen. And it has no chin strap to worry
about, blocks solar radiation (an important thing for the
follicularly-challenged), and it soaks up sweat like nobody's business
if you are cruising on a super-hot day.

--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]

85mph Hats

Mar 25, 2015, 9:18:00 PM3/25/15
replying to Lobster Picnic, 85mph Hats wrote:
>We have the hat for you!! It is called the "85mph Hat" and we sell them
online at www.85mphhats.com. They look great and are designed to wear under a
helmet and a lot of people can wear them without a helmet. Check out our
website. We will be set up at the 75th in Sturgis this year!! A lot of gals
wear our hats for all types of outdoor activities. I think you will love our
hats!!

--
posted from
http://www.motorsforum.com/mazda-miata/hat-that-won-t-blow-off-6153-.htm

bo

Oct 10, 2016, 11:18:02 AM10/10/16
replying to pws, bo wrote:
Go to CAPSURZ website they have an expensive remedy for any hat.

--
for full context, visit http://www.motorsforum.com/mazda-miata/hat-that-won-t-blow-off-6153-.htm

Chandra

Oct 10, 2016, 12:18:01 PM10/10/16
replying to Iva, Chandra wrote:
Try the 85mph Hat--it is awesome!

Chandra

Oct 10, 2016, 12:18:01 PM10/10/16
You would love the 85 mph Hat!! One of the few hats on the market that really
work!! Check out our website at www.85mphhats.com

stei...@gmail.com

Aug 22, 2019, 6:32:13 PM8/22/19