What Colour Should I Paint My Brake Calipers?

TeamEuroMeko

Sep 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/3/98
I agree with Jason here. You should probably try some sort of flat black
paint.
EazyPc Solutions - Supporting the SOHO Population
http://home1.gte.net/euromeko - euro...@gte.net

Jason 00 wrote in message
<8517-35E...@newsd-144.iap.bryant.webtv.net>...
I'd go with Black. Red and silver look 'fake' if you ask me... 'boy
racer'-ish. Calling attention to stock calipers doesn't make a whole lot
of sense.

Just an opinion.

Jason

--
'92 base
http://members.tripod.com/~JasonZero

Jonathan McCormack

Sep 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/3/98
I've got a silver car with black alloy wheels. I was gonna paint the
brakes the same colour of the car but that seems a bit boring.

Any suggestions?

Ta,

Jonathan
91 Called Taz

Eli Troychansky

Sep 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/3/98
Jonathan McCormack wrote:

> I've got a silver car with black alloy wheels. I was gonna paint the
> brakes the same colour of the car but that seems a bit boring.

That depends. Are your calipers stock? :)

I wouldn't call attention to stock calipers, myself.

--
Eli Troychansky
thirdrail at erols dot COM

Check out my nifty and conveniently easy to use Witty-Quote-O'Matic
(tm):

"<insert quote of choice here>"
-<insert obscure author here>

Jason 00

Sep 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/3/98

Pepp

Sep 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/3/98
I'm not familiar with the Miata calipers, but it would be cool with silver
calipers on black wheels with a small mazda emblem painted red on the
caliper.

Watcha think?

Pepp

Jonathan McCormack wrote in message
<35EEB315...@BelfastCity.Gov.UK>...

>I've got a silver car with black alloy wheels. I was gonna paint the
>brakes the same colour of the car but that seems a bit boring.

Sonny

Sep 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/3/98
Jonathan McCormack wrote:
>I've got a silver car with black alloy wheels. I was gonna paint the
>brakes the same colour of the car but that seems a bit boring.
>Any suggestions?

How about something exotic like Hot Pink? Been meaning to paint mine too
but haven't been able to find any colors I like yet.

--
Later...
Sonny & Bonnie (STO #679)

Jonathan McCormack

Sep 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/4/98
Eli Troychansky wrote:

> That depends. Are your calipers stock? :)
>
> I wouldn't call attention to stock calipers, myself.

I've had a closer look and they are. I think everybody's right who said
that I maybe shouldn't draw attention to them, they are a bit small.

Better get some bigger uns :)

Thanks

Jonathan

hba...@hbarta.ip.wwa.com

Sep 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/6/98
TeamEuroMeko (euro...@gte.net) wrote:
: I agree with Jason here. You should probably try some sort of flat black
: paint.

To each his own. I like yellow. See
http://www.wwa.com/~hbarta/Miata/calipers.html (And see what can be
done by someone who has *too* much free time on his hands :)

--
Hank Barta White Oak Software Inc.
hba...@wwa.com Predictable Systems by Design.(tm)

MX5 Votary

Sep 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/8/98
Fire Engine Red or
Competition Yellow.
<g>

Depends upon your car color as to which of those would look best.

To each his own though.

James
C.F.M.C.
Currently Miata-less

RichS

Sep 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/9/98

What about heat loss from the caliper during heavy brake usage,
like at a track event? Would flat black increase the heat loss
and lessen the possibility of fade? Or would any paint on a
caliper reduce heat transfer and increase chance of brake fade?
If flat black paint were beneficial, wouldn't Porsche and BMW use
it on their cars?...........Rich

Nick Horianopoulos

Sep 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/10/98
John Miller wrote:

> Nick Horianopoulos wrote in message <35F731C5...@concentric.net>...
> >I'm no mechanincal engineer, and I'm sure that Doc Carr or Doc Leon will
> >know the "black-body coefficient" off the tops of their Brain-Packed
> >Chromium Domes :@), but I suspect that color will not matter if the
> >brakes are not exposed to a large quantity of sunlight, and for them to
> >be receiving such, either the tire'd have to be off, or you'd have to be
> >racing on a flat surface, with no trees, in summer, at 7:45 P.M.
>
> I'm not a doctor, but I play one on Usenet . . . flat black
> will also RADIATE heat the best of any conventionally available
> color option. The degree to which this matters, I'll leave to
> the pair-o'-docs.
> --
> John Miller, N4VU Linux! Offense should be in
> '96 base model MCA #70258 short supply; so much
> "Shiroi Kuruma" DoD #1942 more is taken than given

You aren't a doctor, but aren't you a mech engineer? Where are all our Mech
E's in this thread?

--
Niko

They can have my Miata when they pry it from my cold, dead fingers!

http://www.concentric.net/~Greek/

If you're gonna e-mail me, you gotta rip off the "K" in "Koncentric" and
change it to "c."

Nick Horianopoulos

Sep 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/10/98
RichS wrote:

I'm no mechanincal engineer, and I'm sure that Doc Carr or Doc Leon will

know the "black-body coefficient" off the tops of their Brain-Packed
Chromium Domes :@), but I suspect that color will not matter if the
brakes are not exposed to a large quantity of sunlight, and for them to
be receiving such, either the tire'd have to be off, or you'd have to be
racing on a flat surface, with no trees, in summer, at 7:45 P.M.

Paint 'em whatever color you want, the temperature difference will be,
for all intents and purposes, zero.

John Miller

Sep 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/10/98
Nick Horianopoulos wrote in message <35F731C5...@concentric.net>...
>I'm no mechanincal engineer, and I'm sure that Doc Carr or Doc Leon will
>know the "black-body coefficient" off the tops of their Brain-Packed
>Chromium Domes :@), but I suspect that color will not matter if the
>brakes are not exposed to a large quantity of sunlight, and for them to
>be receiving such, either the tire'd have to be off, or you'd have to be
>racing on a flat surface, with no trees, in summer, at 7:45 P.M.

I'm not a doctor, but I play one on Usenet . . . flat black

John Miller

Sep 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/11/98
Nick Horianopoulos wrote in message <35F842FF...@concentric.net>...

>You aren't a doctor, but aren't you a mech engineer?

Should have been, probably. That's my inclination and
aptitude, and sometimes I even play one at work, but my
degrees are in music, and for a living, I manage embedded
controller development projects (which I do enjoy). Just
imagine the pointy-haired guy in "Dilbert."

> Where are all our Mech E's in this thread?

MEs? Hell, let's just do it in software.

John "you can't have a geek wiithout a double E" MIller

Jim Stuyck

Sep 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/12/98
In <35F9F292...@worldnet.att.net>, "Alan K. Young" <youn...@worldnet.att.net> writes:
>OK, you guys need an ME to stir the pot, eh?

[snip, snip, snip]

>Glad I could help ;) (BTW, I put about as much time researching this
>topic as it took to type it, so I will happily defer to any expert
>opinions that a more knowledgeable person would like to contribute).
>
>Alan K. Young
>Mechanical Engineer, Miata Owner

Hey, I'm a "Mechanical Engineer, Miata Owner" too. Can I play the game?
I have an "opinion," but to call it "expert" is, well, a little bit
"excessive." ;-)

Actually, Alan's discussion has merit, and I don't want to belittle
it (just in case someone following this thread is *really* concerned
about "brake fade" and the like), but a thin coat of flat black paint
from a spray can (Krylon, Rustoleum, etc.) will satisfy the esthetics
if you find the factory-finish not to your liking. My Miata's calipers
remain unpainted because MY sense of esthetics isn't upset by the
factory-finish color.

If you spray the calipers, you might mask the rotors to avoid getting
a LOT of paint on the rotors, just in case a LOT of paint got rubbed
off and tended to gum up the pads. Other than that, knock yourselves
out.

Jim Stuyck

Leon van Dommelen

Sep 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/12/98
Nick Horianopoulos <gr...@concentric.net> wrote:

>John Miller wrote:
>
>> Nick Horianopoulos wrote in message <35F731C5...@concentric.net>...
>> >I'm no mechanincal engineer, and I'm sure that Doc Carr or Doc Leon will
>> >know the "black-body coefficient" off the tops of their Brain-Packed
>> >Chromium Domes :@), but I suspect that color will not matter if the
>> >brakes are not exposed to a large quantity of sunlight, and for them to
>> >be receiving such, either the tire'd have to be off, or you'd have to be
>> >racing on a flat surface, with no trees, in summer, at 7:45 P.M.
>>
>> I'm not a doctor, but I play one on Usenet . . . flat black
>> will also RADIATE heat the best of any conventionally available
>> color option. The degree to which this matters, I'll leave to
>> the pair-o'-docs.
>> --

>> John Miller, N4VU Linux! Offense should be in

>> '96 base model MCA #70258 short supply; so much
>> "Shiroi Kuruma" DoD #1942 more is taken than given
>

>You aren't a doctor, but aren't you a mech engineer? Where are all our Mech

>E's in this thread?

Yes. Do we Aerospace engineers have to do everything ourselves?

Take a guess at temperature, estimate radiation losses due to red-hot
brake-pads, estimate energy content, take wild swing at conductive
and convective losses, report back to the rest of us that we do
not need to paint our brake pads black. Be quick about it.

Leon
--
Leon van Dommelen I am not responsible for what I say
domm...@zmiata.net-->remove z! White 1996 PEP Sebring Miata: Bozo :)

Alan K. Young

Sep 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/12/98
OK, you guys need an ME to stir the pot, eh?

Most of you are trying to figure out what color calipers will radiate
the most heat (flat black), but you have to figure in the insulation
factor from the paint itself, too. I would expect that most of the heat
transfer off of the calipers would be convective rather than radiant
anyway, especially when the car is moving.

For example, if you powdercoat the calipers, will you gain or lose heat
transfer? The color may be better, but powdercoat is a rather thick
polyester (PLASTIC) coating, and plastic has terrible heat transfer
properties. To perhaps a lesser degree, epoxy enamels and maybe even
lacquers may insulate more than help transfer heat from the calipers.

So, toss that around and see what ideas you can come up with to 'color'
the calipers and obtain maximum heat transfer. I don't have any guesses
at convective factors at speed, or the effect of stock vs. aftermarket
wheels on air currents flowing around the calipers! The rough cast
surface also helps by increasing the surface area over a polished
casting.

Glad I could help ;) (BTW, I put about as much time researching this
topic as it took to type it, so I will happily defer to any expert
opinions that a more knowledgeable person would like to contribute).

Alan K. Young
Mechanical Engineer, Miata Owner

afzalfe...@gmail.com

Jun 16, 2020, 5:22:46 PM6/16/20
I have a maroon car what color can I spray my brake calipers

Leon van Dommelen

Jun 27, 2020, 12:14:32 AM6/27/20
On Tue, 16 Jun 2020 14:22:45 -0700, afzalfelander0 wrote:

> I have a maroon car what color can I spray my brake calipers

Assuming your top is black, I would leave them black. YMMV.

Leon