98 Cherokee 4L I6 Timing Chain - replace?

google...@yahoo.com

Jan 14, 2005, 9:30:49 PM1/14/05
I've read a bit on the web, and I'd like someone to confirm for me
regarding my 98 Cherokee with 4L I6 Engine (105,000 miles):

1) The timing chain does not need to be replaced like timing belts do -
it should last as long as the engine.
2) If the timing chain should break, the engine is "non-interference"
so I don't have to worry about major damage like bent valves, etc.
Is this correct?

Thanks,
Mike

DougW

Jan 14, 2005, 9:51:14 PM1/14/05
google...@yahoo.com did pass the time by typing:

That's my understanding, although the book talks about 200,000 miles as
being a recommended service interval for the chain.

--
-- DougW -- 93 ZJ 4.0 http://members.cox.net/wilsond
HESCO Supercharger - 300W IASCA Stereo - Edelbrock IAS Shocks

google...@yahoo.com

Jan 16, 2005, 5:41:18 PM1/16/05
Good to know. I'm glad I don't have to replace it or worry about it
messing up the engine if it does break.

MIke

joe simmons

Jul 20, 2017, 8:18:03 PM7/20/17
replying to googleid2003, joe simmons wrote:
my jeep has 176 k miles the chain is not broken but noisy.

--
for full context, visit http://www.motorsforum.com/jeep/98-cherokee-4l-i6-timing-chain-replace-57197-.htm