What's going on with TIRE business?

Mike Cather

Nov 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/23/98
Frustrated in Northern Virginia area.....

I've had Michelin tires (XC LT4) on 'back order' with NTB for 8 weeks. Not
looking for exotic tires, just plain old P21575R15 for 87 Jeep Cherokee.

Talked to Michelin today at home office and found out that XC LT4 tire is
special run for Sears, who also own NTB (formerly NTW until Sears bought
the company). She admits no stock of these tires, but they are due out of
factory in Canada on 11/27/98.

NTB advertises these tires everyweek, yet don't have in stock, week after
week??? I had the sales person write an order for these 8 weeks ago, yet
they haven't come in yet??? Nor has anyone called to keep me informed. I
checked on these 4 weeks ago and was told by a surly person that they were
on 'national backorder.'

Knowing that they're a special run of tires for Sears/NTB makes me leery of
them. I've enough experience with private label products and special runs
to be worried about what I'm getting. What does Sears have done
differently from the usual Michelin tires? I've found Michelin's to be
great tires, so why change the product? When a major retailer has special
runs made I suspect that corners are cut, etc, and the last thing I'd
expect is an INCREASE in the quality of the product.

My local NTB has one XCLT4 in my size, another NTB not too far away has 3
in my size. NTB manager says that when Sears took over the company they
discontinued the 'shuttle' that transferred tires between stores. This is
progress?? This is service??? (Maybe I'll try Walmart/Sam's Club next,
they seem to understand service, and they sure as hell know which one of us
is the customer.)

I inquired about other Michelin models, but local NTB did not have a set of
4 for ANY model of tire that Michelin sells that fits my Jeep? I'm trying
like hell to spend $500.00 and cannot find a tire store to take my money.
Yes, I'm sober...

If NTB is such big seller of Michelin, why do they have so few in stock?

Have also had hard time finding Michelin tires at other major retailers.

Is something going on in the tire business???
Has everyone gone overboard with just-in-time-delivery?
Have tire store chains become bad credit risks and cannot get merchandise
from makers without upfront cash??
Is the economy so hot that tire manufacturers can't meet demand?

Whole situation is unbelievable to me, I've never seen anything like it.
Anyone else out aware of similar experiences?

Thanks! s/Mike

Alex L.

Nov 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/24/98
Mike Cather wrote:

> Frustrated in Northern Virginia area.....
>
> My local NTB has one XCLT4 in my size, another NTB not too far away has 3
> in my size. NTB manager says that when Sears took over the company they
> discontinued the 'shuttle' that transferred tires between stores.

Why don't you purchase the one tire, not install. Take the tire to the
other
shop that has the 3 tires and have them install and balance all four.

just my $.02
Alex L.
'89 YJ

David Hillman

Nov 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/24/98
In article <365A0E7E...@clark.net>,

Mike Cather <band...@clark.net> wrote:
>Frustrated in Northern Virginia area.....
>
>I've had Michelin tires (XC LT4) on 'back order' with NTB for 8 weeks. Not
>looking for exotic tires, just plain old P21575R15 for 87 Jeep Cherokee.

If you are simply buying 'plain old' tires, why do you need to have
XC LT4s?

Why not cancel your order with NTB, and go either to another local
retailer, or perhaps http://www.tirerack.com? The Tirerack takes
orders online, or by phone, and will ship to your house or to your
favorite installer. They'll even recommend someone in your area to
do the installation.

--
D a v i d H i l l m a n
nma, scca, scscc, aroc, imoc

Harry Andreas

Nov 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/24/98

> Is something going on in the tire business???
> Has everyone gone overboard with just-in-time-delivery?
> Have tire store chains become bad credit risks and cannot get merchandise
> from makers without upfront cash??
> Is the economy so hot that tire manufacturers can't meet demand?

Companies make private label tires in batches. It's extremely expensive to
interrupt an ongoing production line to change molds and just make a few
of something. So production companies schedule production breaks usually
months in advance. Then they'll change molds and do a run of the private
label.

In the meantime, if the private label company [Sears] has not forcast
demand accurately, they may run out of stock. And there's no way of
hurrying up the new order without paying a big cash penalty to the
manufacturer.

Personally, I don't see why you are so hung up on Michelin tires or the
215/75 size. I recently put a new set of Pirelli Scorpion AT's on my 87
Wagoneer, they were a lot less $$ than you quoted [<< $400 out the door]
and they were 235/75's.
The Pirelli's are made here in California, btw. Not Mexico or some other
third world country.
The 235/75's work a lot better, IMO, than the 215's and certainly look
better in the wheelwell, too. Plus, almost every manufacturer makes
237/75, it's a very common size and can be got anywhere.

--
Harry Andreas
the engineering raconteur

replace baloney with computer to reply

Jeep Jockey

Nov 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/25/98
Harry is right about the private label tire manufacturing runs. I can also
through some information into the mix, and a few opinions.

Opinion: NTB is definately screwed up. Even their management isn't sure of
what they doing. You are just a victem of their new business practices.
Although I can sympathize with your plight. I am the marketing director of a
large wholesaler (we only sell wholesale) and our customers are in direct
competition with NTB.

Fact: Micheling can't make tires fast enough. They are shipping at
approximately 60% of demand for Michelin, BFGoodrich, and Uniroyal, as well
as a plethora of private label brands. They have diverted Canadian,
European, Asian manufacturing to try and fill orders for the United States.
They have added two new manufacturing facilities in the U.S. and have plans
for many more. All of their new plants use a proprietary manufacturing
process called C3M. Very secret, but very fast and with better tire quality
than the current process.

Mixed Facts: Michelin is one of the best brands of tires in the world. Right
now Bridgestone/Firestone and Michelin are the technology leaders in the
tire business. They have passed Goodyear. The rest of the companies are a
good step or so behind the leaders. It's all about money.

Opinion: If you like Michelin, shop for your tires at a number of
independant dealers. Often they are less expensive than the big guys when
all the frills are added in. If it's a local shop, you will often get more
personalized service.

Randy
Herfin Jeep TJ Jockey
Just get the Jeep out to send me email

jon...@patriot.net

Nov 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/25/98
Mike Cather wrote:

> Frustrated in Northern Virginia area.....
>
> I've had Michelin tires (XC LT4) on 'back order' with NTB for 8 weeks. Not
> looking for exotic tires, just plain old P21575R15 for 87 Jeep Cherokee.

Your lucky day....
I have a pair of Michelins in that size with about 60% tread left
sitting on a shelf. Removed them to go to a lower profile. Make me an
offer. I live in Great Falls...........

goldstein...@gmail.com

Oct 14, 2017, 3:11:49 AM10/14/17

We are business consulting and market research Company with roots in the US and vast reaches across America, Asia and parts of Europe and the Middle East.

Find the latest tire market research report, business insights, market insights, market outlook, market trends, market segmentation and demand analysis report.

Please SEND US SAMPLE REQUEST http://bit.ly/2gEXtKI

Regards,
Rebecca Cooper
(Global Sales Head)