Re: Maintenance free batteries: disadvantages?

L.W. Hughes III

Oct 13, 2004, 2:02:04 PM10/13/04
Hi Bill,
Terminal Protectors, will stop corrosion:
http://www.billhughes.com/terminalProtectors.jpg
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
mailto:LWHug...@aol.com

Wblane wrote:

> Do maintenance free batteries still corrode their terminals/connectors? Are
> there any disadvantages to maintenance free batteries? I'm thinking the next
> battery I'll get for my Jeep will be maintenance free.
> -Bill (remove "botizer" to reply via email)

Jerry Bransford

Oct 14, 2004, 12:27:39 AM10/14/04
Merely replacing a battery won't (usually at least) cause any problems with
things like that.

Jerry
--
Jerry Bransford
PP-ASEL N6TAY
"Lon" <lon.s...@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Jerry Bransford proclaimed:
>
>> To me, only a sealed battery like an Optima or Exide Orbital is truly
>> "maintenance free". Those others that look like they are sealed on top
>> that are called maintenance free don't do that as well as they'd like you
>> to believe.
>
> On a ZJ, would I have to worry about resetting remote keys or anything
> if I were to install myself? Looks like the local 4Wheel Parts has
> the Optima Red...bummer they closed the store in Santa Clara and the
> only one still open is way the heck in downtown traffic.

SteveBrady

Oct 14, 2004, 4:56:41 PM10/14/04
All the vaseline does is prevent oxygen from getting at the terminals and
causing that nasty whitish oxidation!.
The clamps go tight enough around the posts that putting the vaseline on
before won't matter, as it'll just get squished outta the way!

Vaseline is the cheap solution....you can buy anti-oxidation stuff from
electrical suppliers.
Novalox is something I used to use on ground rod connections.

Some of these products have metals embedded in them. This allows conduction
but still keeps oxygen out.
You don't want one of these ones....don't want it going from your + terminal
to the chassis (essentially the - terminal).

sb

"Wblane" <wbl...@aol.combotizer> wrote in message
> Bill, I've tried those. That's what I've got over the terminals now and
> the
> corrosion is a thick and fluffy layer now! I've heard of using vaseline to
> on
> battery terminals, but where do you put it? Does it go over the terminal
> before
> you put on the clamp? Or over the whole surface after you put on the
> clamp?
> Does vaseline work or is it just BS?

>>Hi Bill,
>> Terminal Protectors, will stop corrosion:
>>http://www.billhughes.com/terminalProtectors.jpg
>> God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
>>mailto:LWHug...@aol.com

Mike Romain

Oct 13, 2004, 2:07:50 PM10/13/04
They still lose water like the older ones, just slower.

On a Jeep that has heavy battery use they will fail faster than one you
can top up easily.

That said, most of them can have the top opened so they can be topped up
with distilled water which will vastly extend their life.

I knew a company that sold used batteries to all the car lots. They
collected 'dead' maintenance free batteries, opened them, topped them up
with water, deep charged them and sold them with a 1 year warranty.

I talked to the owner and he stated he almost never has a warranty claim
and if it happens it is right away because the battery really was a dead
one.

They do not make much if any difference with terminal corrosion because
they still do outgass.

Same goes for the spiral cell lead acid batteries like Optima. Optima
has a slower terminal corrosion rate, but it still corrodes them to the
point of a failed connection on both of my Jeeps after a couple years.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Wblane wrote:

> Do maintenance free batteries still corrode their terminals/connectors? Are
> there any disadvantages to maintenance free batteries? I'm thinking the next
> battery I'll get for my Jeep will be maintenance free.

John Davies

Oct 13, 2004, 9:11:35 PM10/13/04
On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 14:07:50 -0400, Mike Romain <rom...@sympatico.ca>
wrote:

>They do not make much if any difference with terminal corrosion because
>they still do outgass.

I have never understood why aftermarket car batteries don't have
sealed lids (screw-in service plugs) and vent hoses, like motorcycle
and aircraft batteries. The oem battery on my ex-Saab 9-5 had one. The
oem battery on my wife's Audi has one.

I have _never_ seen a vented aftermarket battery. No way can sulfuric
acid venting from an unsealed batter be considered good for your
vehicle.

Rant over.

John

John Davies TLCA 14732
http://home.comcast.net/~johnedavies/
'96 Lexus LX450
'00 Audi A4 1.8T quattro
Spokane WA USA

Paul Calman

Oct 13, 2004, 1:43:44 PM10/13/04
> To me, only a sealed battery like an Optima or Exide Orbital is truly
> "maintenance free".

I'll second that, but they will also corrode at the terminals, if someone
breaks the seal around them.
This is usually caused by hammering terminals on, or twisting them off with
pliers, rather than using a terminal Spreader and puller, Items 2 and 3-5
here.
http://tinyurl.com/65lyy
or slamming it around with no hold-downs.
Be good to your new battery, and it will be ok.
--
Paul Calman, Hathaway Pines, California

L.W. Hughes III

Oct 14, 2004, 4:09:35 PM10/14/04
Hi Bill,
They work for me: http://www.billhughes.com/battery.jpg I do use
baking soda from time to time to wash off and neutralize any acid, then
paint the terminals. Using a petroleum product will cause a black like
substance to seep in and ruin the connection.

God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
mailto:LWHug...@aol.com

John Davies

Oct 14, 2004, 10:55:32 PM10/14/04
On 14 Oct 2004 19:30:54 GMT, wbl...@aol.combotizer (Wblane) wrote:

>Bill, I've tried those. That's what I've got over the terminals now and the
>corrosion is a thick and fluffy layer now! I've heard of using vaseline to on
>battery terminals, but where do you put it? Does it go over the terminal before
>you put on the clamp? Or over the whole surface after you put on the clamp?
>Does vaseline work or is it just BS?

Ue a liquid that will penetrate everywhere after installing the cables
onto the terminals. I have used Boeshield T9 for many years and I
never have even the slightest trace of terminal corrosion. The
disadvantage is that it is greasy and you should clean it off to bare
metal with lacquer thinner before reattaching a cable. Then reapply.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0002Q9F1C/102-7388128-1154517

Lon

Oct 15, 2004, 11:40:11 PM10/15/04
I've seen a combination of poorly tightened connectors and vaseline
cause a zero start syndrome. If the connector is loose enough to let
the vaseline melt down into the tiniest gaps, you can lose enough
conduct area to cause problems.

I used to use a very high temp military dow silicon grease, but
was a pita to deal with. Nowadays just use the corrosion washers
and a shot of ordinary old clear paint--cheaper than that special
battery paint.

Wblane proclaimed:

> Bill, I've tried those. That's what I've got over the terminals now and the
> corrosion is a thick and fluffy layer now! I've heard of using vaseline to on
> battery terminals, but where do you put it? Does it go over the terminal before
> you put on the clamp? Or over the whole surface after you put on the clamp?
> Does vaseline work or is it just BS?
>

>>Hi Bill,
>> Terminal Protectors, will stop corrosion:
>>http://www.billhughes.com/terminalProtectors.jpg
>> God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
>>mailto:LWHug...@aol.com

Jane

Nov 8, 2017, 9:18:03 AM11/8/17
replying to Wblane, Jane wrote:
I've been using maintenance free, sealed batteries since they first came out a
couple of decades ago. Would never go back to the old ones. They have the same
life and are much less hassle. There's never a problem of accidentally getting
battery acid on your clothes with sealed car batteries. Ruined a brand new
pair of 501 Levi jeans when battery acid got on them when refilling old
battery.

--
for full context, visit http://www.motorsforum.com/jeep/maintenance-free-batteries-disadvantages-50014-.htm