Honda Accord EX V4 vs. V6 -- pros and cons?

Krishna Prasad

Feb 11, 2003, 1:28:51 PM2/11/03

I am planning to buy a new car and Honda Accord EX V4, V6 are under
consideration.

Can someone please be kind enough to explain me the pros and cons of
each car?
Is V4 more noisy than V6? I understand V6 gives less mileage when
compared with V4 (21mph vs. 26 mph in city driving).

I am trying to understand what makes people to opt for V6 generally?
Is that better pickup? (If that's the case, I really don't care about
pickup. And, I am not going to race at speeds higher than 100mph
anyway).

Thank you in advance,
Kp/

MWhite4981

Feb 11, 2003, 1:47:51 PM2/11/03
The 4 isn't a V4, but rather an inline 4. The V6 has more torque and more hp.
If you don't need the extra power, the 4 will offer better gas mileage and
slightly better handling as there is less weight on the front wheels. Can't go
wrong either way.
Buy it and you'll love it.

Paul

Feb 11, 2003, 3:32:33 PM2/11/03

"Krishna Prasad" <kpx...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

I have heard the V6 is smoother and quieter than the 4, but I haven't driven
one, so I can't say from experience.

If you want a stick shift, I hear the 6-speed version of the V6 is very
expensive and hard to get. Finding and paying for a 4-cylinder version with
a 5-speed should be much easier.

I have a 2000 Accord SE with a 4-cylinder and an automatic and I am more
than happy with it, if that's of any help.

Paul

J Oat

Feb 11, 2003, 3:50:10 PM2/11/03
if you are using it mainly for commuting in the city or spend lots of time
in traffic jam, 4 cyl is the way to go.

V6 is strictly for performance as in faster up to speed and passing.

"Paul" <paulDONTSP...@mindspring.com> wrote in message

Krishna Prasad

Feb 11, 2003, 5:50:29 PM2/11/03
I appreciate your response.

What about the quietness? Is V6 any quieter than the other one?

Thanks,
Kp/

Pete

Feb 11, 2003, 6:34:19 PM2/11/03

"Krishna Prasad" <kpx...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I appreciate your response.
>
> What about the quietness? Is V6 any quieter than the other one?
>
> Thanks,

Possibly, since the V6 would be running on lower rpms, but I can't imagine
the I4 being loud either. Accords are pretty well sound-proofed. Question
like this would be better answered by you going out and test-driving both.

Cheers,

Pete

Timothy J. Lee

Feb 11, 2003, 7:28:06 PM2/11/03
In article <caa432ab.03021...@posting.google.com>,

Krishna Prasad <kpx...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>What about the quietness? Is V6 any quieter than the other one?

Test drive both of them to find out if the difference is something that
you notice (be sure to test drive on both city and highway if that is
what you will be driving).

Timothy J. Lee

my_google_acct

Feb 11, 2003, 10:02:50 PM2/11/03
I just purchassed a Honda Accord 2003 4 cy EX. and I see no reason to
get the V-6 unless you live in Germany and drive on the Autobahn!
hahah

Here is my thouhgts on it:

1) I test drove the 4cy. and the V-6 ad I noticed no diff with
stabliity, noise, quality, etc.

2) I I get around 23 MPG on my 4 cy. so I figure the V-6 wil get
around 20 - 19 MPG

3) the 160 hp 4 cy. is enough power for driving in city AND on the
highway, I routinely pass cars on the highway with my 2003 Accord
4-cy.

4) the 4cy. costs less than the V-6

5) if you are gonna get a V-6 get a Nissian Maxima or something, the
Accord is a very nice and great car BUT is really only a $20,000
$21,000 car. I purchased my 2003 Accord EX for $21,000. The dealer
sold it to me for cost cause he stills makes $$$ cuase Honda pays them
like 3% of the cost of the car.

Bottom line, I see no reason to buy a V-6 Accord

hope this helps

Mark Williams

Feb 11, 2003, 11:08:23 PM2/11/03
I purchased an Accord last week (albeit an LX). I had a test drive in
both the 4 cylinder and the V6. Although I am using the car primarily
for a 10 mile commute (no freeway most days) I was blown away by the
smoothness and power of the V6 and decided there and then that I
wanted the V6.

I am VERY pleased with the car. I am not really a "car guy" - but I
love this thing!

Mark

Saintor

Feb 12, 2003, 8:53:05 AM2/12/03
But some do. A great 4 would never be as sweet as a good 6.

Jerry Belluomini

Feb 12, 2003, 9:34:32 AM2/12/03
The feeling of having 240 responsive horses at your command is very nice. I
drive 125 miles every day to and from work and the V6 makes it a pleasure.
There is only one problem I can see and that is being able to keep front
tires, Jerry.....
"Mark Williams" <markw...@wednet.com> wrote in message

Pete

Feb 12, 2003, 10:35:46 AM2/12/03

> There is only one problem I can see and that is being able to keep front
> tires, Jerry.....

Hehe... yeah, even with the older 200hp Accord, I remember this was a
problem. Partially, the sucky Michelin MXV4 Energy were to blame. Their
grip is non-existent, athough it helps keep the MPG numbers high. Try
getting some grippier (more high performance) and/or wider tires when it's
time to replace. It'll make a world of difference.

Cheers,

Pete

Krishna Prasad

Feb 12, 2003, 4:08:19 PM2/12/03
Thanks all for your responses!

I checked out the standard features for both 4-cyl and V6 Accord Ex.

Aside from the powerful engine, V6 comes with "traction control" and
"power passenger seat". I really don't care about the latter but how
big a deal is "traction control"? Is that something very cool to have?

BTW, someone told me that V6 performance might come in handy on
icy/snowy roads
and on slopes. To what extent is it true!? (in other words, would V6
be a poor substitute for all-wheel drive). I live in California (bay
area) but occasinally we drive to Lake Tahoe (icy/snowy roads).

I appreciate all your responses!
Kp/

Pete

Feb 12, 2003, 4:51:08 PM2/12/03
> Aside from the powerful engine, V6 comes with "traction control" and
> "power passenger seat". I really don't care about the latter but how
> big a deal is "traction control"? Is that something very cool to have?
>
> BTW, someone told me that V6 performance might come in handy on
> icy/snowy roads
> and on slopes. To what extent is it true!? (in other words, would V6
> be a poor substitute for all-wheel drive). I live in California (bay
> area) but occasinally we drive to Lake Tahoe (icy/snowy roads).

The traction control may come in handy on icy/snowy roads, but not
necessarily the V6 engine. AFAIK, traction control will prevent your wheels
from spinning when you try to take off on slippery surfaces. The V6 really
needs it because it delivers so much power to the front wheels that it can
easily spin them. You just have to take it easy with the gas pedal in such
slippery conditions, that's all.

Besides, when driving in snow, good winter tires are much more important
than traction control or all-wheel drive. Of course, having them all would
be the best of both worlds. That's why I love my A4 1.8TQ.

Cheers,

Pete

Mark Williams

Feb 12, 2003, 7:20:07 PM2/12/03
Haven driven the two for test drives last week, this was a no brainer.
The V6 was so much smoother, seemed quieter (maybe just my perception,
I don't know) and the extra power on the freeway was real nice. So,
there as no NEED for me to go for the V6 (I can't think that anyone
REALLY needs the V6) - but there was a strong desire to get it for
comfort reasons.

I got the V6.

Mark

Krishna Prasad

Feb 13, 2003, 1:24:08 AM2/13/03
Thanks, Pete! Are you saying that I could get "traction control" as an
optional feature with Accord Ex 4-cyl?

Naga/

pars

Feb 13, 2003, 2:55:15 AM2/13/03
The V6 would need the traction control and the EBD system since the nose heavy and very torque V6 would
be more difficult to control in the snow when compared to a better balanced car. The lighter 4 cylinder
(by 200lb on the front suspension) would returns better balance/response which means better control
during emergency maneuvers. However, if you're planning on getting a torque sapping automatic tranny on
the 4 cylinder, I would lean toward the V6 just to negate that fact.

Pars
98 Hatch

dbrebel

Feb 13, 2003, 6:24:31 AM2/13/03
Traction control is standard on all V6 models, but is not available
for the I4 models. That's for the US.

On 12 Feb 2003 22:24:08 -0800, kpx...@yahoo.com (Krishna Prasad)

Pete

Feb 13, 2003, 10:08:46 AM2/13/03

"Krishna Prasad" <kpx...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Thanks, Pete! Are you saying that I could get "traction control" as an
> optional feature with Accord Ex 4-cyl?

No. I was just saying that traction control is offered on the V6 model
because it needs it more. And that it is more important to have proper
tires which will prevent you from getting into trouble, rather than relying
on traction control to get you out of trouble.

Cheers,

Pete

steve

Feb 13, 2003, 2:34:48 PM2/13/03
Last Jan 2002 we bought a used 99 Accord EX 4 cylinder coming off lease. It
has many options, including driver power seat. This is nice for me to
adjust the seat without having to sit down in it first.
It is my wife's car going to / from work, 3 miles one way, so the 4 cyl is
perfect for her. I also think the 4 cyl would be less expensive to work on
if you had problems.

MikeW

Feb 13, 2003, 5:11:10 PM2/13/03
If all you want is a pleasent, efficient transportation appliance, get
the 4-banger. The six has significantly more guts, but if you don't
have sporting pretentions, you may very well not need that. The four
is actually quite good and has enough power to move the car pretty
well. If you know how to shift yourself get the manual. The auto is
heavier and less efficient.

Either way, if you get he car, change the tires. When Honda spec'ed
the Michelins that come on the car, it made so many demands on them
(high efficiency, high wear mileage, all season, etc), that they don't
have great traction. Get a set of performance tires (Bridgestone
RE730, Yokoham ES100, Dunlop Sport 9000, etc). Again, even if you
don't have sporting pretentions, the sport tires with stop better and
handle better in emergency situations. If you have winter driving
issues, get a real set of snow tires also.

Dick

Feb 13, 2003, 6:45:31 PM2/13/03
On 13 Feb 2003 14:11:10 -0800, mwo...@yahoo.com (MikeW) wrote:

>If all you want is a pleasent, efficient transportation appliance, get
>the 4-banger. The six has significantly more guts, but if you don't
>have sporting pretentions, you may very well not need that. The four
>is actually quite good and has enough power to move the car pretty

I keep hearing this, but I have driven hundreds, if not thousands of
miles on ice and snow on the MV4's on our '99 EX V-6, and have never
wished I had better tires on the car. I have driven in truly terrible
winter conditions where other vehicles had spun off the highway,
turned over on their tops, etc. There may be better tires available,
but I sure wouldn't throw the MV4's away until they need changing.

Dick

MikeW

Feb 14, 2003, 1:40:21 PM2/14/03
In the tests I've seen of the new Accord, it's put up very
unimpressive traction related numbers. The most important of these
was a >200' 70-0MPH stopping distance (for reference, 170' is very
good 180' is acceptable). This is with good braking hardware, and a
not out of range weight. Also, all the tests I've read claimed that
the tires were definitely the limiting factor with the handling.

Also, the MXV4s on your car may not be the same. An OEM who's going
to buy hundreds of thousends of tires a year can pretty much ask the
tire companies for whatever characteristics they want. In this case,
it seems that Honda wanted too many things at the same time and got a
tire that did nothing particulary well.

David Smith

Apr 21, 2003, 8:27:49 PM4/21/03
Did u get the EX or the EX-L (leather option for $21,000) ???

"my_google_acct" <my_goog...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> [...]

bijou...@gmail.com

Jun 19, 2017, 6:23:14 AM6/19/17
I have owned 2 v6's, both coupes. A 2008 standard shift and a 2015 automatic which I currently drive.

I have test driven the 4 cylinders. The latter are good cars but the 6 Accord engine is exceptional. The car is smoother than the 4,quieter and if you like oomph the extra 100 odd hp make a huge difference. At $35,000.00 it is a relative bargain compared to the infinitys and Lexus' out there.

Elmo P. Shagnasty

Jun 19, 2017, 6:50:48 AM6/19/17
And if you want one, buy one now--because no more 6 cylinder Accords
starting in 2018.

If you want an American Honda Motor Manufacturing sedan with a 6
cylinder, you'll have to go Acura.

Anyway, the true bargain is the used Infiniti and Lexus market. WAY
better cars that Honda nowadays, *especially* in the 6 cylinder world
that Honda never truly adapted to.

Between 1998 and 2005, Honda's 6 cylinder cars had transmissions that
were all bad. Honda couldn't figure out how to build a 6 cylinder
system that worked.

Nowadays, their 6 cylinder vehicles have VCM--variable cylinder
management. Look THAT one up, and see what a disaster it is. And yet
they keep on building and selling them to ignorant people. More
important, Honda has fully adapted to the 3 year lease model--they just
don't care what happens after that initial sale and the warranty is up.