Polishing inside of Intake Manifold????

Matt Beizaee

Dec 18, 2000, 1:56:49 AM12/18/00
I have an 90 civic. I was thinking of getting another intake manifold(thats
where your throttlebody attached to) And polishing out the inside to smooth
out the air flow into the engine. Would i be able to tell a difference in
performance?

Andrew

Dec 18, 2000, 2:03:11 AM12/18/00
Nope, not a bit. AS a matter of fact the turbulent air caused by the rough
wall inside the manifold help mix the atomized fuel into the air. A polished
manifold works well when you use it consistantly at high RPMs.

Andrew

"Matt Beizaee" <vwb...@aculink.net> wrote in message

Dagon7

Dec 18, 2000, 2:55:25 AM12/18/00
>Subject: Re: Polishing inside of Intake Manifold????
>From: "Andrew" an...@home.com
>Date: 12/17/00 11:03 PM Pacific Standard Time

Ahh, but if it's like most modern intakes the fuel is mixed with the air in the
cylinder, not the intake.

TeGGeR

Dec 18, 2000, 5:24:13 AM12/18/00

"Dagon7" <dag...@aol.comEatSpam> wrote in message

Not quite. A lot of the mixing still takes place in the manifold immediately
above the valve head, hence you still want some turbulence in the manifold.
One thing Matt Beizaee could do is make sure the manifold, gasket and ports
all line up properly at their junction with no casting flash or bits of
gasket sticking into the airflow stream. Careful filing and gasket cutting
will do the trick. Don't get bits of aluminum inside the head!

Not sure you'd notice a difference in performance without a dyno or good
stopwatch.

Andrew

Dec 18, 2000, 5:37:05 AM12/18/00

"Dagon7" <dag...@aol.comEatSpam> wrote in message

Kind of... The fuel is injected into the air just before the cylinder. The
mixing takes place from then on. The more turbulent the air, the better the
mix you're going to get. Think of it as a wooden spoon compared to a blender
for mixing.

Tegger is correct about port matching the intake though. This is free
horsepower and can be a fairly simple process.

J. Davis

Dec 18, 2000, 10:17:24 AM12/18/00
TeGGeR wrote:

> Not quite. A lot of the mixing still takes place in the manifold immediately
> above the valve head, hence you still want some turbulence in the manifold.

If I absolutely had nothing better to do I'd do a quick Dremel of any
casting roughnesses and seams I could get at. You still want to leave
that 400 grit finish on the manifold runner & head's intake port. We
aren't in the days of direct injection yet.

> One thing Matt Beizaee could do is make sure the manifold, gasket and ports
> all line up properly at their junction with no casting flash or bits of
> gasket sticking into the airflow stream. Careful filing and gasket cutting
> will do the trick.

That'd be 90% of any improvement on the intake. Making sure of
a smooth transition across the TB is vital for high-rpm naturally
aspirated engine.

> Not sure you'd notice a difference in performance without a dyno or good
> stopwatch.

Agreed.

Joseph

--

Warning: reply-to address needs despamming,
remove irrelevant religious referrence for

George Macdonald

Dec 18, 2000, 4:06:33 PM12/18/00

He didn't specify model but unless it was an EX, (or maybe Si?) all '90
Civics had TBI so you were right in the first place.

>Tegger is correct about port matching the intake though. This is free
>horsepower and can be a fairly simple process.

Rgds, George Macdonald

SubVersion29©

Dec 18, 2000, 6:21:45 PM12/18/00
And that this model happen to have an angle plate to divert air inside the
throttle body. This plate is practically in front of the air hose inlet.

Pankoski

Dec 18, 2000, 10:40:23 PM12/18/00
Some times, the intake manifolds are designed rough to 'cause' turbulence and
therefore aid better mixing of the air/fuel mixture. This would only be true
for designs where the air/fuel mixture passes thru the intake - like for
carburator or throttle body types. It would be to your benefit to only polish
and fit the manifold to head joint so that there are no flow restrictions at
that point. Same with the exhaust manifold. Many current designs mix the
fuel with the air closer to the head or at the intake valve. Posibly these
types of intakes may benefit from some polishing?? Again with these designs,
the mating of the manifold/head transition is much more important.