140 mph or 160 mph speedometer for 89 GT

Dennis Biles

Nov 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/19/96

Can anyone tell me where I can purchase a 140 mph or 160 mph speedometer for
my 1989 Mustang GT? I understand that motorsport used to sale them but
nolonger offers one.
thanks,
Dennis

James

Nov 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/19/96

Pull one out of a '90 or later...should fit and reads to 140 mph

Charles Rozier

Nov 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/21/96

Dennis Biles wrote:

> Can anyone tell me where I can purchase a 140 mph or 160 mph speedometer for
> my 1989 Mustang GT? I understand that motorsport used to sale them but
> nolonger offers one.
> thanks,
> Dennis

Performance Parts Inc in (I think) Herndon, VA had some recently. I
bought a police unit, works fine.

Corny Bondad

Nov 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/21/96

Dennis Biles wrote:

> Can anyone tell me where I can purchase a 140 mph or 160 mph speedometer for
> my 1989 Mustang GT? I understand that motorsport used to sale them but
> nolonger offers one.
> thanks,
> Dennis

Call

Performance Part Inc
13120 Lazy Glen Court
Herndon, VA 22071-2326
(703) 742-6207

Last time I called, they were selling 'em for about $100 though I
believe they were used speedos.

Vist their web page:
http://www.mustangparts.com

mjf...@aol.com

Nov 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/22/96

The '89 GT comes with a 140mph speedo. You can buy a 160 or 180 from
several places just look at the magazine ads.

James Seagroves

Nov 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/22/96

Dennis Biles wrote:

> Can anyone tell me where I can purchase a 140 mph or 160 mph speedometer for
> my 1989 Mustang GT? I understand that motorsport used to sale them but
> nolonger offers one.
> thanks,
> Dennis

Are you sure you have an 89' GT???? My 89' came with a 140mph speedo.
Maybe your's is from around the timeframe when they change from 88' to
89' models. Check the manufacturing date. I think its in the doorjam.
As a side note, you may want to call the Ford dealer and have them
run your VIN to verify the actual model. I know someone who was sold
a year model X(not sure about the actual year) F250, with certain
a certain gear ratio, tranny,...etc. For what ever reason, he had the
VIN checked and it was actually a year earlier and did not have some
of the options that he thought he had. Right now, I think he is taking
the dealer to court to get some of his money back.

Buddy Seagroves
89' GT

Performance Parts, Inc.

Nov 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/24/96

> Dennis Biles wrote:
> >
> > Can anyone tell me where I can purchase a 140 mph or 160 mph speedometer for
> > my 1989 Mustang GT? I understand that motorsport used to sale them but
> > nolonger offers one.
> > thanks,
> > Dennis

From 1987 thru mid year 1989, all Mustang 5.0Ls received 85 mph
speedometers. The exception to this is the Special Service Mustangs,
which received 140 mph speedometers during this period. From mid year
1989 thru 1993, all 5.0L Mustangs received 140 mph speedometers. During
this period, the Special Service Mustangs received 160 mph speedometers.

We have new Ford 140 and 160 mph speedometers for 1987-1993 Mustangs in
stock.

Performance Parts, Inc.
Herndon, VA

(703) 742-6207

http://www.mustangparts.com

Scott Ford

Nov 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/24/96

Dennis Biles (shad...@gnn.com) wrote:
: Can anyone tell me where I can purchase a 140 mph or 160 mph speedometer for
: my 1989 Mustang GT? I understand that motorsport used to sale them but
: nolonger offers one.
: thanks,
: Dennis

If yours IS an '89, it should already have a 140. '89 was the first year
for the 140mph speedo.

'86 Mustang GT Scott Ford sf...@umr.edu
Member
Alpha Psi chapter
'56 Ford F-100 Theta Xi Fraternity the...@umr.edu

Reid H Miyashiro

Nov 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/24/96

James Seagroves (ing...@bnr.ca) wrote:

: Dennis Biles wrote:
: >
[...]

You must have a GT made in the earlier part of the year, cause I have an '89
LX and it has a 85-mph speedo. Great for telling how fast you are going when
you are blasting it on the freeway! You have to see how close the needle comes
to the MPH to tell how fast your going. But back to the subject, pretty much
anywhere sells 160 speedos. Saleen has one. Better yet, you can get their
white faced meter set and have a Cobra look a like dash. =)
RHM
: 89' GT

David A. Lyons

Nov 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/25/96

On 22 Nov 1996 mjf...@aol.com wrote:

> The '89 GT comes with a 140mph speedo. You can buy a 160 or 180 from
> several places just look at the magazine ads.

Saleen has a 200mph available.

David Lyons
http://g50mc.org/members/lyonsd

tfr...@aol.com

Nov 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/26/96

I feel your frustration. My old '84 had the 85-mph speedometer, and it
was routinely pegged. Folks used to ask how fast the car was, and I never
could say, other than "it gets up to 85..." Aren't there special
restrictions on replacing a speedometer, though? Doesn't it have to be
certified, and/or installed by special mechanics? I would think that the
mileage on the replacement speedo has to be set to match the original
speedo... Dwight

Bruce Musgrove

Nov 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/26/96

Scott Ford wrote:

> Dennis Biles (shad...@gnn.com) wrote:
> : Can anyone tell me where I can purchase a 140 mph or 160 mph speedometer for
> : my 1989 Mustang GT? I understand that motorsport used to sale them but
> : nolonger offers one.
> : thanks,
> : Dennis
>
> If yours IS an '89, it should already have a 140. '89 was the first year
> for the 140mph speedo.
>
> --

> '86 Mustang GT Scott Ford sf...@umr.edu
> Member
> Alpha Psi chapter
> '56 Ford F-100 Theta Xi Fraternity the...@umr.edu

Wrongo bongo. Mid 1989 is when they first became available stock.
before that it was 85 mph.
--
Bruce Musgrove
Bmu...@mednet.swmed.edu

Josh Assing

Nov 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/26/96

I bought a 140 here on the 'net for 40bux. Popped right in (my 86 had
an 85 originally)
It was a stock one from a different year. Saleen sells them too, but it
has "saleen" on the dial.

Reid H Miyashiro wrote:

> James Seagroves (ing...@bnr.ca) wrote:

> : Dennis Biles wrote:
> : >
> : > Can anyone tell me where I can purchase a 140 mph or 160 mph speedometer for
> : > my 1989 Mustang GT? I understand that motorsport used to sale them but
> : > nolonger offers one.
> : > thanks,
> : > Dennis

Brian K. Biltz

Nov 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/26/96

On Tue, 26 Nov 1996 07:48:50 -0600, Bruce Musgrove
<bmu...@mednet.swmed.edu> wrote:

>Scott Ford wrote:

>> Dennis Biles (shad...@gnn.com) wrote:
>> : Can anyone tell me where I can purchase a 140 mph or 160 mph speedometer for
>> : my 1989 Mustang GT? I understand that motorsport used to sale them but
>> : nolonger offers one.
>> : thanks,
>> : Dennis
>>

>> If yours IS an '89, it should already have a 140. '89 was the first year
>> for the 140mph speedo.
>>
>> --

>> '86 Mustang GT Scott Ford sf...@umr.edu
>> Member
>> Alpha Psi chapter
>> '56 Ford F-100 Theta Xi Fraternity the...@umr.edu
>
>Wrongo bongo. Mid 1989 is when they first became available stock.
>before that it was 85 mph.
>--
>Bruce Musgrove
>Bmu...@mednet.swmed.edu

f.y.i.

I ordered a 89 5.0LX in nov. of 1988, and took delivery in feb. of
1989 it has a 140MPH speed'o...

bri...@cim.epcorp.com

m1...@aol.com

Nov 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/27/96

I own an 89 5.0 LX, purcashed in November 1998 (I ordered it). It was
also factory equipped a 140 mph speedometer. It was listed as optional in
the Ford literature.

Paul Prince

Nov 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/28/96

I think you meant November of 1989 but this would make your car a 1990
model where the 140 was standard. The 140 became standard in Jan 1989 as
a result of the US government changing their regulations. If you ordered
your car in November 1988 perhaps it was not built until Jan 89.

Paul Prince
1965 Mustang 2+2
1989 Mustang GT Convertible (January 1989 build)

David Keller

Dec 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/1/96

My door tag says 10/88 build date and it came with a 140 speedo...

In article <57k1pb$j...@nr1.toronto.istar.net>, pa...@cableshare.com says...

Bruce Musgrove

Dec 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/2/96

David Keller wrote:

> My door tag says 10/88 build date and it came with a 140 speedo...

<snip>

Does your speedo have the Ford Motorsport Logo on its face??? If so, its
not factory, but perhaps dealer installed. Did you buy yours used?
perhaps a previous owner may have installed it.
Factory 140's did not have the motorsport logo on the face of them.
140's were not stock until around april of 1989. My car was purchased
in 10-18-88, and had a 85 mph. speedo on it

--
Bruce Musgrove
Bmu...@mednet.swmed.edu

Joseph E. Huesmann

Dec 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/2/96

In article <32A2EA...@mednet.swmed.edu>,

To clear this up once and for all (at least for 302 Mustangs):

Until mid-model year 1989 Mustangs had 85 mph speedos. In mid '89 they
changed to 140 mph speedos. The Motorsport speedos are 160 mph, and have
the Motorsport logo on them.

Joe

Bruce Musgrove

Dec 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/4/96

True. But before mid 89 you could get it as a dealer installed option,
in which case it was the motorsport 140 with the motorsport logo on it,
or a previous owner could install it, which is what i was trying to say
to him.
-
Bruce Musgrove
Bmu...@mednet.swmed.edu