Good for a laugh

CTERENZI

May 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/15/99
Today coming out of Kroger I saw a woman driving a late model GT (sorry don't
know what year) White convertible. This woman was 90 if she was a day, could
barely see over the wheel, blue hair the works. She passed right by me and as I
was staring in disbelief, she got into it pretty good as she pulled out the
side exit. No bull, I couldn't make something like this up.....go granny!!!!
Chris Terenzi
Professional Brewer
52 Ford Victoria
Atlanta, GA

HIPO28966

May 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/15/99
Hey ! That was my granda ma, !! We put a Vortec on, for her last week
end. ;-), Sure it was Kroger ?? She has been caught at Summit, on Sunday of
course.
I'm sure you will see her at the next " Fun Ford " week end.......

Anyone have slicks for sale ??

WARHORS302

May 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/15/99
>From: cter...@aol.com (CTERENZI)
>Date: 5/15/99 0:47 AM EST

Well, get this........around Fayetteville, NC there's an old oriental lady that
drives one of those Pontiac Firehawks. One day I pulled up next to it with my
dad's scrawny 92 Dakota pick up so I could get a better look when I saw her
behind the wheel with her hands at the 10 and 2 o'clock positions on the wheel.
Light turned green and the old lady took off almost as if she were drag racing
with somebody. I was surely impressed.

Helmut Roner
Fayetteville/Spring Lake, North Carolina
http://members.aol.com/WARHORS302/index.html
88 Mustang GT
E-mail configured to recieve from certain people only.

Ffud1979

May 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/15/99
I got one, when I worked as a valet I parked a nice late-model z-28. The
couple that owned it was in their mid-seventies at least. When I brought their
car back they left a nice tip and did a burnout for me as they left, I was
proud............

> Light turned green and the old lady took off almost as if she were drag
>racing
>with somebody. I was surely impressed.
>
>Helmut Roner
>Fayetteville/Spring Lake, North Carolina
>http://members.aol.com/WARHORS302/index.html
>88 Mustang GT

Samuel
Bone Stock '95 GT
who needs mods?

Z28cruisin

May 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/16/99
>I got one, when I worked as a valet I parked a nice late-model z-28. The
>couple that owned it was in their mid-seventies at least. When I brought
>their
>car back they left a nice tip and did a burnout for me as they left, I was
>proud............

im sure i'll be one of those in the distant future, wont you guys too?

Javier
94 Z28
SLP cold-air induction, Flowmaster cat back exhaust, GTS front and rear
blackouts, bandpass box with two Jensen 12" subs and a 500 watt amp. More to
come...hehehe
95 Z28 (really my girlfriends, so its still stock)

Ffud1979

May 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/16/99
>im sure i'll be one of those in the distant future, wont you guys too?

Yes sir, yes I will. The way I see it is this........ as a valet, I see that
older people tend to get big, fast, expensive, automatic land barges. If I'm
gonna get one of these why not get a Mustang/Camaro/Corvette? Something that I
can really enjoy! Sure Camaros seem really big to me, but c'mon, it's no
Grand Marquis!

>Javier
>94 Z28

PBGus

May 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/16/99
>Subject: Re: Good for a laugh
>From: ffud...@aol.coma (Ffud1979)
>Date: 5/16/99 9:55 AM Eastern Daylight Time

>Yes sir, yes I will. The way I see it is this........ as a valet, I see
>that
>older people tend to get big, fast, expensive, automatic land barges. If
>I'm
>gonna get one of these why not get a Mustang/Camaro/Corvette? Something that
>can really enjoy! Sure Camaros seem really big to me, but c'mon, it's no
>Grand Marquis!
>

>>Javier
>>94 Z28
>

>Samuel
>Bone Stock '95 GT
>who needs mods?

Hmmmm, I alway like to be the one that busts peoples' misconceptions...... >8->

Pat
'97 Camaro SS #1445

Wilbur F Lin

May 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/16/99

WARHORS302 <warho...@aol.com> wrote in message

> Light turned green and the old lady took off almost as if she were drag
racing
> with somebody. I was surely impressed.
>
> Helmut Roner
> Fayetteville/Spring Lake, North Carolina
> http://members.aol.com/WARHORS302/index.html
> 88 Mustang GT

Ffud1979

May 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/17/99
>Wilbur F Lin wrote:

well, he didn't write a damn thing. What was the point Wilbur? Even the stuff
you quoted makes no mention of Asians, or anything Oriental.
Am I missing something?

Jim Manson

May 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/18/99
"Wilbur F Lin" <wil...@NOSPAMucla.edu> wrote:

>i just personally find the term "oriental" to be very derogatory,

Why do you find it derogatory?

It's been around since the 1300s and simply comes from the Latin term
for "rises". It was used to indicate the direction "east" so it meant
anything east of explored areas back then. The term is, and has been,
used by scholars in Asia for many, many years as well.

--
'97 Cobra Convertible

Puck

May 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/18/99

Wilbur F Lin wrote
>i just personally find the term "oriental" to be very derogatory, to me
it
>sounds like calling a chinese person a "chink" or a japanese person a
"nip".
>this train of thought has been ingrained into me as i grew up. socially
>ingrained train of thought i guess.

Not to be argumentative... [1]

But you've nothing to be offended about, especially if "Asian" is fine
with you.

The area of the world now known collectively as "Asia" was for some time
previously known as "the orient". By the same token that you may be
referred to as "Asian" if you are from "Asia", the label "oriental" is
similarly descriptive. A bit anachronistic, yes, but pejorative? Not a
bit.

Whatever about it merits getting yer shorts in a bunch?

RG
[1] Me? Never!

Wood...@nospam.com

May 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/18/99
On 18 May 1999 15:12:10 GMT, ffud...@aol.coma (Ffud1979) wrote:

>>Woody93LX
>
>>How about the common use of the term "RICEBOY" around here?
>>
>>This is just another term for "Chink Mobile".
>
>Maybe in the beginning, but we've pretty much agreed that now it has more to do
>with the "decoration" of the car...........

>Samuel
>Bone Stock '95 GT
>who needs mods?

The term "Riceboy" was derived from "RiceRockets", similar to
PockeRockets (ie. VW GTI, etc). But the use of the word "rice" was
meant to depict the rivalry between the Japanese vs. American cars in
a racially insulting manner....way, way, way back during the days of
the Bulletin Board connections and Fidonet conferences, etc...

You can try to alter the meaning, but the true intentions were meant
to call Japanese cars, ChinkMobiles and the sort.

Consensus shows that racially motivated terms and slangs do not really
change, ie. like when a white person defends the usage of the term
"NIGGER" as a defining term for "any bad person" inclusive of Blacks
but not conclusive.

Asians usually don't care too much if you call them Chinks, but what's
funny is that you've gotten some Asians to share in the similar usage
of the term "Riceboy" also.

Yella99GT

May 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/18/99
>Sorry if you found that offensive. Not to seem like the typical everyday
>person, but I thought the word oriental referred to objects/people from
>around
>that area of the world. Correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks.

>Helmut Roner
>Fayetteville/Spring Lake, North Carolina
>http://members.aol.com/WARHORS302/index.html
>88 Mustang GT
>E-mail configured to recieve from certain people only.

Seemed pretty politically correct to me (half oriental - errr uh Asian).

-Ken
'99 Mustang GT (chrome yellow)
Steeda Triax shifter
K&N, Pro-M 77 MAF
Eibach Pro Kit
March ram air now just cold air

On the way:
ASP underdrive pulleys
Steeda timing adjuster

Future plans:
Bassani X pipe w/ cats

Jim Manson

May 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/18/99
J...@Manson.com (Jim Manson) wrote:

>"Wilbur F Lin" <wil...@NOSPAMucla.edu> wrote:
>
>>i just personally find the term "oriental" to be very derogatory,
>

>Why do you find it derogatory?
>
>It's been around since the 1300s and simply comes from the Latin term
>for "rises". It was used to indicate the direction "east" so it meant
>anything east of explored areas back then. The term is, and has been,
>used by scholars in Asia for many, many years as well.

I should point out that I really am curious, I'm not trying to start
an argument.

--
'97 Cobra Convertible

Yella99GT

May 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/18/99
>The term "Riceboy" was derived from "RiceRockets", similar to
>PockeRockets (ie. VW GTI, etc). But the use of the word "rice" was
>meant to depict the rivalry between the Japanese vs. American cars in
>a racially insulting manner....way, way, way back during the days of
>the Bulletin Board connections and Fidonet conferences, etc...

I thought the term "Rice-boy" (driver of Japanese car) came from "Rice burners"
(the cars made in Japan). This term has been around since I was in high school
in the early 80's.

>You can try to alter the meaning, but the true intentions were meant
>to call Japanese cars, ChinkMobiles and the sort.
>
>Consensus shows that racially motivated terms and slangs do not really
>change, ie. like when a white person defends the usage of the term
>"NIGGER" as a defining term for "any bad person" inclusive of Blacks
>but not conclusive.
>
>Asians usually don't care too much if you call them Chinks, but what's
>funny is that you've gotten some Asians to share in the similar usage
>of the term "Riceboy" also.

Well, I'm only half Asian, but I don't think most Asians would appreciate being
called "Chink" unless you were their friend and they understood the light
heartedness of the term. It's definitely offensive sounding if it's not coming
from a friend. I'm sure it's the same with African Americans and the use of
the word "Nigger". The word "Oriental" is not durogatory at all. A complete
stranger could refer to me as oriental, and it would not phase me a bit.

I have a buddy that is 2nd generation Irish. He always kids me that I know so
much about gardening, and I kid him that he's always looking for a fight. You
know, just making fun of the stereotypes. Anyway, this is my .02 on Mustangs
and race : )

WARHORS302

May 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/18/99
>From: "Wilbur F Lin" <wil...@NOSPAMucla.edu>
>Date: 5/16/99 5:44 PM EST

Sorry if you found that offensive. Not to seem like the typical everyday

SEEverist

May 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/18/99
Helmut wrote:

>Sorry if you found that offensive. Not to seem like the typical everyday
>person, but I thought the word oriental referred to objects/people from
>around
>that area of the world. Correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks.

I'm really bad with the PC myself. I have a hard time saying African-American,
because there are some African-Americans that are caucasion (or white??). They
were born in Africa... now they're American... to me that'd be AA. Right???

Then there are those not from Africa, yet still have black skin. Couldn't they
be just as offended by calling them African-American? What about calling a
Canadian a North American? It just gets too confusing.

I remember trying to tell someone who my friend Eric was. I did everything to
describe him w/o saying that he was black... once I said black, they knew
exactly who I was talking about.

Now, take the aformentioned white African American. Try telling someone about
him saying that he's AA, .... and the rest of whatever description. I
guarantee they'll be thinking of someone with black skin.

Now... on to discussing red hair.. which is more orange...

Steve
'71 Buick GS 455
'91 Mustang LX 5.0 coupe
'93 Splash 4x4
"I'll add that to my threat collection." Harry Callahan

Wilbur F Lin

May 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/18/99
i just personally find the term "oriental" to be very derogatory, to me it
sounds like calling a chinese person a "chink" or a japanese person a "nip".
this train of thought has been ingrained into me as i grew up. socially
ingrained train of thought i guess.

no harm and no foul. just my personal opinion although it was waaaay off
the mustang thought. hehehe

ok, now back to stangs!! :-P

Wilbur

> Sorry if you found that offensive. Not to seem like the typical everyday
> person, but I thought the word oriental referred to objects/people from
around
> that area of the world. Correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks.

Wood...@nospam.com

May 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/18/99
On Tue, 18 May 1999 00:47:33 -0700, "Wilbur F Lin"
<wil...@NOSPAMucla.edu> wrote:

>i just personally find the term "oriental" to be very derogatory, to me it
>sounds like calling a chinese person a "chink" or a japanese person a "nip".
>this train of thought has been ingrained into me as i grew up. socially
>ingrained train of thought i guess.
>
>no harm and no foul. just my personal opinion although it was waaaay off
>the mustang thought. hehehe
>
>ok, now back to stangs!! :-P
>
>Wilbur

Interesting.

Ffud1979

May 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/18/99
>Woody93LX

>How about the common use of the term "RICEBOY" around here?
>
>This is just another term for "Chink Mobile".

Maybe in the beginning, but we've pretty much agreed that now it has more to do

Wood...@nospam.com

May 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/19/99
On 18 May 1999 22:39:12 GMT, yell...@aol.comnospam (Yella99GT)
wrote:

>>The term "Riceboy" was derived from "RiceRockets", similar to
>>PockeRockets (ie. VW GTI, etc). But the use of the word "rice" was
>>meant to depict the rivalry between the Japanese vs. American cars in
>>a racially insulting manner....way, way, way back during the days of
>>the Bulletin Board connections and Fidonet conferences, etc...
>
>I thought the term "Rice-boy" (driver of Japanese car) came from "Rice burners"
>(the cars made in Japan). This term has been around since I was in high school
>in the early 80's.

Think about.

If there was a car made in Africa that became popular, would a driver
of said car be labelled a Negro-Boy? How about a NegroBurner? LOL.

What if Saudi Arabia produced a popular automobile. Would the drivers
now be labeled, Camel-Boys? Camel-Burners? Camel-Jockeys?

What's the easiest way to cut on an Asian in grade school?

His slanted eyes, his bowl haircut, his
dropping-silverware-down-the-stairs name.....what he eats most of.

Therefore, "Riceboy" is a lesser offensive term as opposed to
"Chinkboy" just like Negro is a little less offensive then Nigger.

But a Black guy would probably take up issue with you if you called
him a Negro-Boy or even if you called a white guy driving an imaginary
African made vehicle, Negro-Boy. How about if two white guys referring
to each other as Niggers during a conversation while in a crowded
street in Harlem?

While I guess it's ok here to use the term Riceboy.

Wood...@nospam.com

May 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/19/99
wrote:

>Well, I'm only half Asian, but I don't think most Asians would appreciate being

>called "Chink" unless you were their friend and they understood the light
>heartedness of the term. It's definitely offensive sounding if it's not coming
>from a friend. I'm sure it's the same with African Americans and the use of
>the word "Nigger". The word "Oriental" is not durogatory at all. A complete
>stranger could refer to me as oriental, and it would not phase me a bit.

Yeah, the word "Oriental" is valid. Some people might get offended,
but there are some that get offended by everything and anything.

I wouldn't call a Black guy "African American" unless he specifically
asks me to, as it's way too damn long. And I would just make a mental
note to refer to him only as that or maybe while talking only to him.

Can't please them all.

But my point was that it's funny that the Asian guy gets offended at
being called Oriental but sees nothing wrong with hearing the term
Riceboy.

What if rice crops started to significantly compete with the all
American wheat crops? RiceEaters then? Riceman? LOL.

MorganPark

May 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/19/99
>motivated terms and slangs do not really
>change, ie. like when a white person defends the usage of the term
>"NIGGER" as a defining term for "any bad person" inclusive of Blacks
>but not conclusive.

A white person might defend that term but the black man who it was said to
ain't gonna hear it! I got into trouble with one of them over my finace'
because he called her black and I said "no, she is West Indian" and he insisted
Jamacians are black people and I insisted that they are not and he insisted I
was racist because I didn't want to "admit to being married to a black woman"
and I said I would admit to it if it was true but it ain't!

Me in Atlanta GA, USA

MorganPark

May 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/19/99
>The area of the world now known collectively as "Asia" was for some time
>previously known as "the orient". By the same token that you may be
>referred to as "Asian" if you are from "Asia", the label "oriental" is
>similarly descriptive. A bit anachronistic, yes, but pejorative? Not a

From the Politically Correct Dictionary:
Oriental now Asian
Orient Express now Asian Train
Orientation now Asiantation

Rentfro

May 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/19/99
Definitions as I know them - "Oriental" - refers to any object (non-human)
from the geographic Asian region. "Asian" refers to people from Asia.

Others...

back to the eighties...
Rice rocket - bad-ass motorcycles that hauled ass...started with the Honda
Interceptor early 80s (my memory fades here - I was in college...)

Rice burner - import car from japan - somewhat derogitory but also indicates
gas mileage (superior to American cars of the day - again eighties)

Rice boy - definition batted around ad-nausium but basically one who
"stickers up" and optionally lowers the suspension of .an import car to give
the impression of increased performance - then typically talks trash to
those with more legitimate "performance vehicles" - some ad a person's race
into the definition, others do not.

Anyone???

Now, Please....back to Mustangs...

Wilbur F Lin wrote in message <7hr5n0$o98$1...@carroll.library.ucla.edu>...

>i just personally find the term "oriental" to be very derogatory, to me it
>sounds like calling a chinese person a "chink" or a japanese person a
"nip".
>this train of thought has been ingrained into me as i grew up. socially
>ingrained train of thought i guess.
>
>no harm and no foul. just my personal opinion although it was waaaay off
>the mustang thought. hehehe
>
>ok, now back to stangs!! :-P
>
>Wilbur

Joshua Lowe

May 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/19/99

PC is bullshit.

PC is why people cart their 8 children around in SUVs getting 12mpg,
turning their noses up at performance cars because they are
"wasteful", all while pounding their chests about being
environmentally conscious. PC is referring to genocide as "ethnic
cleansing" and wanting to put pants on Bugs Bunny, and ban Quake
because it somehow made kids shoot each other in school.

Fuck PC.

Joshua Lowe

May 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/19/99
<wil...@NOSPAMucla.edu> wrote:

>i just personally find the term "oriental" to be very derogatory, to me it
>sounds like calling a chinese person a "chink" or a japanese person a "nip".
>this train of thought has been ingrained into me as i grew up. socially
>ingrained train of thought i guess.
>
>no harm and no foul. just my personal opinion although it was waaaay off
>the mustang thought. hehehe

How is oriental derogatory? It's not a native term, but I've never
heard it used as an insult. Does that mean oriental rugs and
restuarants (even if they are run by Asians) that say "Oriental
Cuisine" on the sign are insults? "The Orient" was a term used by
explorers and traders, who were European, wasn't it? I guess I'm
missing something..

"Chink", "nip", etc are racial epiphets that are used for nothing but
insults based on race. I've never once heard of or heard "oriental"
used as a derogatory term.

Is the Oriental Express a racist train?

SEEverist

May 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/19/99
Joshua Lowe wrote:

>PC is bullshit.
>
>PC is why people cart their 8 children around in SUVs getting 12mpg,
>turning their noses up at performance cars because they are
>"wasteful", all while pounding their chests about being
>environmentally conscious. PC is referring to genocide as "ethnic
>cleansing" and wanting to put pants on Bugs Bunny, and ban Quake
>because it somehow made kids shoot each other in school.
>
>Fuck PC.

You might want to wait until the tailpipe cools off first.

Wait! That's what newbie steve said that sent ol' jeffy into a tailspin.

I take it back! I repeat "I take it back!"

c4t...@sprynet.com

May 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/19/99

Joshua Lowe <row...@bellsouth.net> wrote:

> Is the Oriental Express a racist train?

Weren't they a tag team in the WWF?
--
Brian
'79 Mustang 5.0L

mr...@hotmail.com
http://home.sprynet.com/~c4trans

Gary A.

May 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/19/99

Wilbur F Lin wrote:

> i just personally find the term "oriental" to be very derogatory, to me it
> sounds like calling a chinese person a "chink" or a japanese person a "nip".
> this train of thought has been ingrained into me as i grew up. socially
> ingrained train of thought i guess.
>

> i dont see anything wrong with "oriental". i guess asian does sound better,
> though. i'm japanese and i don't even know what "nip" means. i just know
> that it is an insult. when someone says "jap"... now that pisses me off. too
> much of the wwII stuff in that name.

Gary A.

95 Mustang Cobra #701
(in the shop with a busted rear sway bar)

Wood...@nospam.com

May 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/19/99
On 19 May 1999 02:38:15 GMT, morga...@aol.com (MorganPark) wrote:

>>The area of the world now known collectively as "Asia" was for some time
>>previously known as "the orient". By the same token that you may be
>>referred to as "Asian" if you are from "Asia", the label "oriental" is
>>similarly descriptive. A bit anachronistic, yes, but pejorative? Not a
>
>From the Politically Correct Dictionary:
>Oriental now Asian
>Orient Express now Asian Train
>Orientation now Asiantation
>

>Me in Atlanta GA, USA

LOL : )

Yitah Wu

May 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/19/99
Oriental derogatory or pejorative? I don't think so, although I would
say it's a sign of being somewhat less enlightened or parochial - much
like calling a black or African-American "Negro" or "Colored"

"Asian" is more neutral sounding while "Oriental" tends to conjure
images of Fu Manch, Charlie Chan or other stereotypes.

Just my 0.02

Yitah

Jim Manson

May 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/19/99
morga...@aol.com (MorganPark) wrote:

Um how exactly are you defining "black" here?

The ancestors of the West Indians came from Africa as well as the
ancestors of African Americans. A lot of African Americans have
caucasian ancestors as well.

--
'97 Cobra Convertible

MorganPark

May 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/19/99
>PC is why people cart their 8 children around in SUVs getting 12mpg,
>turning their noses up at performance cars because they are
>"wasteful", all while pounding their chests about being
>environmentally conscious. PC is referring to genocide as "ethnic
>cleansing" and wanting to put pants

No argument from me.

MorganPark

May 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/19/99
>" just like Negro is a little less offensive then Nigger.

Negro (Spanish for black) was at one time preferred by black people who were
tired of being called "colored" people. In the early 1960's you called black
people "Negroes" as a sign that you respected them. You never called them black
because it was taboo back then. But nigger has never been an acceptable term
for anybody to use in any situation.

newbie steve

May 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/19/99
Although it seems to be acceptable if the person saying "nigger" is black, like
Chris Rock's bit, if you've ever heard that one :::shrug:::

whi...@waa-waa-waa.net

May 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/19/99

> >i just personally find the term "oriental" to be very derogatory,

Good Lord... what has the world come to?

Are we now the United States of the Offended?

How would you like 'Asian American'? If so, speak some Asian
for us.... Anybody born here is an AMERICAN. Get a life, and
get over it. Oriental is NOT a derogatory term. If somebody
wanted to offend an 'Asian' person, I'm sure they could come up
with something better than 'oriental' Get real...

By the way, I'm offended by the terms 'caucasion' and 'white'
I want to be called a 'European American'

wood...@nospam.com

May 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/20/99
On 19 May 1999 22:29:47 GMT, morga...@aol.com (MorganPark) wrote:

>>" just like Negro is a little less offensive then Nigger.
>
>Negro (Spanish for black) was at one time preferred by black people who were
>tired of being called "colored" people. In the early 1960's you called black
>people "Negroes" as a sign that you respected them. You never called them black
>because it was taboo back then. But nigger has never been an acceptable term
>for anybody to use in any situation.
>

>Me in Atlanta GA, USA

Ya, but in 1999, I dare you to call a black guy negro in the busy
streets of Atlanta : )

wood...@nospam.com

May 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/20/99
On Wed, 19 May 1999 22:26:13 GMT, J...@Manson.com (Jim Manson) wrote:

>Um how exactly are you defining "black" here?
>
>The ancestors of the West Indians came from Africa as well as the
>ancestors of African Americans. A lot of African Americans have
>caucasian ancestors as well.
>

>--
>'97 Cobra Convertible

It seems that if you live in a Nation where the majority or the ruling
party is of one color, any color that is other than that of this race
is considered not of that race.

Say a 1/4 White and 3/4 Chinese person living in China would be
considered as more of a Caucasian than Asian.

MorganPark

May 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/21/99
>The ancestors of the West Indians came from Africa as well as the
>>ancestors of African Americans. A lot of African Americans have
>>caucasian ancestors as well.

Technically you are right but I just sort of got pissed off that somebody was
trying to lump my wife (29 more days) in with regular African American women.
Not that I dislike them or anything and yes, you cannot tell her from an
African American unless you look closely or hear her accent, but I feel that
she is special because of what she is. and when most people hear "black" they
automatically think "African American".

TFrog93

May 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/21/99
In article <19990519.162842...@WVNVM.WVNET.EDU>,
whi...@waa-waa-waa.net writes:

>By the way, I'm offended by the terms 'caucasion' and 'white'
>I want to be called a 'European American'

Try "old man chicken legs".

Personally, I just want to be called

dwight

Jim Manson

May 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/21/99
wood...@nospam.com wrote:

>On Wed, 19 May 1999 22:26:13 GMT, J...@Manson.com (Jim Manson) wrote:
>

>>Um how exactly are you defining "black" here?
>>

>>The ancestors of the West Indians came from Africa as well as the
>>ancestors of African Americans. A lot of African Americans have
>>caucasian ancestors as well.
>>

>>--
>>'97 Cobra Convertible
>>

>It seems that if you live in a Nation where the majority or the ruling
>party is of one color, any color that is other than that of this race
>is considered not of that race.
>
>Say a 1/4 White and 3/4 Chinese person living in China would be
>considered as more of a Caucasian than Asian.

Obvious point. However if, as in this case, black refers to those with
predominantly African ancestors why wouldn't West Indians be included?

--
'97 Cobra Convertible

Wilbur F Lin

May 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/21/99
from which part of the woods did you pop up from? everyone is entitled to
his or her own opinions, thats what makes the US a great place to live.

who ever said i was born here?

reality check, how DO you speak asian? i have no idea, maybe you and your
ethnocentric self can teach me, however i do speak mandarin chinese pretty
well though..

have a good day, european american.

Wilbur

<whi...@waa-waa-waa.net> wrote in message

> > >i just personally find the term "oriental" to be very derogatory,
>
> Good Lord... what has the world come to?
>
> Are we now the United States of the Offended?
>
> How would you like 'Asian American'? If so, speak some Asian
> for us.... Anybody born here is an AMERICAN. Get a life, and
> get over it. Oriental is NOT a derogatory term. If somebody
> wanted to offend an 'Asian' person, I'm sure they could come up
> with something better than 'oriental' Get real...

wood...@nospam.com

May 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/21/99

Probably because from a first glance, a darker complexion person with
African features would probably be labeled as Black. A second glance
or conversation might further be distinguished through language
accent, etc.

Most Vietnamese, Koreans, Japanese, etc...are often referred to as
Chinese by most non Asians, LOL, kind of funny.

This is from first impressions only.

Jim Manson

May 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/23/99
wood...@nospam.com wrote:

>Probably because from a first glance, a darker complexion person with
>African features would probably be labeled as Black. A second glance
>or conversation might further be distinguished through language
>accent, etc.
>
>Most Vietnamese, Koreans, Japanese, etc...are often referred to as
>Chinese by most non Asians, LOL, kind of funny.
>
>This is from first impressions only.

Ok - I think I'm finally getting it. By the term "black" he meant
" American " black. Makes sense then.

Got it.

--
'97 Cobra Convertible

SEEverist

May 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/23/99
Jim Manson wrote:

WAITASECOND!

Did anyone right down the rules?... I'm hoping there's a pocket version to
refer to in the correct situation.... I'd hate to be labeled an ignorant white
asshole...

Asshole would be fine.

TFrog93

May 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/23/99
In article <19990523135338...@ng-fh1.aol.com>, seev...@aol.com
(SEEverist) writes:

>WAITASECOND!
>
>Did anyone right down the rules?... I'm hoping there's a pocket version to
>refer to in the correct situation.... I'd hate to be labeled an ignorant
>white
>asshole...
>
>Asshole would be fine.

Come to think of it, I resent "white". I spend all summer trying NOT to be
white. On the last census form, I filled in "peach".

dwight
(TBA #1954)

Jim Manson

May 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/24/99
seev...@aol.com (SEEverist) wrote:

>Jim Manson wrote:
>
>>>Probably because from a first glance, a darker complexion person with
>>>African features would probably be labeled as Black. A second glance
>>>or conversation might further be distinguished through language
>>>accent, etc.
>>>
>>>Most Vietnamese, Koreans, Japanese, etc...are often referred to as
>>>Chinese by most non Asians, LOL, kind of funny.
>>>
>>>This is from first impressions only.
>>

>>Ok - I think I'm finally getting it. By the term "black" he meant
>>" American " black. Makes sense then.
>>
>>Got it.
>

>WAITASECOND!
>
>Did anyone right down the rules?... I'm hoping there's a pocket version to
>refer to in the correct situation.... I'd hate to be labeled an ignorant white
>asshole...

The PC term is "cracker" isn't it?

--
'97 Cobra Convertible