'96 Mustang GT Top Speed??

JonBoy888

May 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/17/97

I've got a Corvette owner breathing down my back saying that my stock '96
Mustang GT couldn't even do 130 mph on the track. Before taking him down
to the track, I'd like to make sure I can make him eat his words. Does
anyone know the real top-speed of the '96 Stang GT.

P.S. Even though it may not be the fastest, it's definitely the best.

-JONBOY

Gary Henderson

May 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/19/97

Your '96 should do atleast 135, probably 137-140.

Edward Kim

May 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/19/97

JonBoy888 (jonb...@aol.com) wrote:
: I've got a Corvette owner breathing down my back saying that my stock '96

: Mustang GT couldn't even do 130 mph on the track. Before taking him down
: to the track, I'd like to make sure I can make him eat his words. Does
: anyone know the real top-speed of the '96 Stang GT.

Take him up on the bet. If you have 2.73s it will take some time to get
up to 130, but you'll get there. I've gotten a 135MPH reading with both
my 2.73s and my 3.55s, but the 3.55s got there MUCH faster.

+Edward Kim +
+Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta Georgia, 30332 +
+uucp: ...!{decvax,hplabs,ncar,purdue,rutgers}!gatech!prism!+
+1996 Mustang GT White/Black interior 5-speed +
+SVO 3.55s, SVO subframes, K&N w/o air intake silencer +

Rich

May 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/19/97

On 17 May 1997 11:07:24 GMT, jonb...@aol.com (JonBoy888) wrote:

>I've got a Corvette owner breathing down my back saying that my stock '96
>Mustang GT couldn't even do 130 mph on the track. Before taking him down
>to the track, I'd like to make sure I can make him eat his words. Does
>anyone know the real top-speed of the '96 Stang GT.
>

>P.S. Even though it may not be the fastest, it's definitely the best.

You can definitely do 130. Aerodynamic limiting for a bone stock '96 should put
it about 135.

If you have lowered the car through springs or what not, you can probably get
into the 140s.

-Rich

P.S. Find a low-altitude track and do it in cold weather :-). Actually you won't
find a track that will agree to such a contest, probaby. Unless you happen to
have roll cages.

Olaf Brescia

May 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/19/97

JonBoy888 wrote:

> I've got a Corvette owner breathing down my back saying that my stock '96
> Mustang GT couldn't even do 130 mph on the track. Before taking him down
> to the track, I'd like to make sure I can make him eat his words. Does
> anyone know the real top-speed of the '96 Stang GT.
>
> P.S. Even though it may not be the fastest, it's definitely the best.
>
> -JONBOY
> A Corvette is the least of your worries. My stock VW Corrado (178hp) has yet to lose to a 4.6L GT off the line or top end. That Corvette
is gona stomp you..sorry man.

Arch Stanton

May 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/20/97

Nice try Olaf (Bang & Olafson -- did I spell it correct?). The American
stock VW Corrado's aren't going to run away from a Probe GT, how does it
defeat a Mustang GT, even if it has an automatic or better yet even if
it is an LX with a 3.8l V6?

Arch.

Jason Michael Holly

May 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/20/97
to Olaf_B...@ccm.fm.intel.com

Olaf Brescia wrote:

> JonBoy888 wrote:
> >
> > I've got a Corvette owner breathing down my back saying that my stock '96
> > Mustang GT couldn't even do 130 mph on the track. Before taking him down
> > to the track, I'd like to make sure I can make him eat his words. Does
> > anyone know the real top-speed of the '96 Stang GT.
> >
> > P.S. Even though it may not be the fastest, it's definitely the best.
> >
> > -JONBOY
> > A Corvette is the least of your worries. My stock VW Corrado (178hp) has yet to lose to a 4.6L GT off the line or top end. That Corvette
> is gona stomp you..sorry man.

I Like to stick up for fellow stangers'. I'll race your Imported German
turd, plus the Vette, and you can have a 100 ft. handicap, and I will
pass you 1/2 way through.
Both of you.

Atty. J. M. Holly Esq. J.D.
---------------------------
1995 Ford Mustang COBRA R- BOSS SALEEN-
590 H.p.
0-60 4.1
1/4 9.80 e.t.
Don't ever trash talk a Mustang especially when you have an import unless
it says Porsche 911 Turbo, or Lamborghini Diablo/Countach-

Gary Henderson

May 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/20/97

>---------------------------
>1995 Ford Mustang COBRA R- BOSS SALEEN-
>590 H.p.
>0-60 4.1
>1/4 9.80 e.t.
>Don't ever trash talk a Mustang especially when you have an import unless
>it says Porsche 911 Turbo, or Lamborghini Diablo/Countach-

If your taking 4.1 to get to 60, your going way slower then 9.8. Your
figures are a bit off.

Gary Henderson

May 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/20/97

>> P.S. Even though it may not be the fastest, it's definitely the best.
>>
>> -JONBOY
>> A Corvette is the least of your worries. My stock VW Corrado (178hp) has yet to lose to a 4.6L GT off the line or top end. That Corvette
>is gona stomp you..sorry man.

Did you read his message? He didn't say anything about his car
beating a Mustang, all he asked about was if his top speed will exceed
130, which it will. He didn't ask about your car, and I doubt he
cares.

Chris Mauritz

May 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/20/97

Gary Henderson <ga...@superlink.net> wrote:

:P~>> P.S. Even though it may not be the fastest, it's definitely the best.
:P~>>
:P~>> -JONBOY
:P~>> A Corvette is the least of your worries. My stock VW Corrado (178hp) has yet to lose to a 4.6L GT off the line or top end. That Corvette
:P~>is gona stomp you..sorry man.
:P~>>

:P~Did you read his message? He didn't say anything about his car
:P~beating a Mustang, all he asked about was if his top speed will exceed
:P~130, which it will. He didn't ask about your car, and I doubt he
:P~cares.

I'll be happy to race a Corrado. :)

Chris
--
Christopher Mauritz | For info on internet access:
Director, Internet Operations | finger/mail in...@interactive.net OR

Matthew J. Whitfield

May 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/20/97

I was racing a friend on a long stretch of new highway. I decided to show
him what he was up against. I hit 120 when I suddenly remembered someone
telling me about his friend doing a backflip in his Mustang. I decided
that the road was feeling a little too smooth so I let up. So I have no
doubt you could do over 130. Wheather you live through it or not is a
different question all together.

I have a '95 GT by the way.

@ @
( ) Matt
Impe...@msn.com

Brad

May 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/20/97

No doubt, I had my bone stock 94GT at 145 on the speedo, but the speedo
maybe off a couple of mph.

P.S I was following my best friend in his Z28, he was suprised that I could
go that fast, he said his speedo read 146. We weren't racing we were just
late getting to school.

Brad

Olaf Brescia

May 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/20/97

Arch Stanton wrote:

> Olaf Brescia wrote:
> >
> > JonBoy888 wrote:
> > >
> > > I've got a Corvette owner breathing down my back saying that my stock '96
> > > Mustang GT couldn't even do 130 mph on the track. Before taking him down
> > > to the track, I'd like to make sure I can make him eat his words. Does
> > > anyone know the real top-speed of the '96 Stang GT.
> > >
> > > P.S. Even though it may not be the fastest, it's definitely the best.
> > >
> > > -JONBOY

> > > A Corvette is the least of your worries. My stock VW Corrado (178hp) has yet to lose to a 4.6L GT off the line or top end. That Corvette
> > is gona stomp you..sorry man.
> > >

> Nice try Olaf (Bang & Olafson -- did I spell it correct?). The American
> stock VW Corrado's aren't going to run away from a Probe GT, how does it
> defeat a Mustang GT, even if it has an automatic or better yet even if
> it is an LX with a 3.8l V6?
>
> Arch.

Read this, and yes my VR6 car easily will..
http://www.wizvax.net/rwelty/scca/runoffs/96/results/ssa-race.txt

Olaf Brescia

May 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/20/97

Wow..guess I touched a nerve. I’ll address that later.
Was just trying to save this guy a little humiliation.
Also I’d be concerned about a stock GT’s high speed
stability at ~130mph. My observation was regarding
the stock '96 Mustang GT vs. a stock VW Corrado
VR6, (they cost about the same). My experience has
been that the newer 4.6L GT is just not as quick or fast
as the people buying them think they are. Also this link
shows the results of the '96 SCCA SSA Runoffs held
at Mid-Ohio.
http://www.wizvax.net/rwelty/scca/runoffs/96/results/ssa-race.txt
The stock Ford was non competitive against cars the
SCCA deems as similar in all around performance.
As for this COBRARBOSSSALEENSHELBY
ACTIONHERO dude, anybody can by speed, plus
your numbers sound a little embellished.
I’ve driven a Paxton Saleen and it goes fast,
don’t race it against a pumped Audi Quattro
on a road coarse though...

Marc2365

May 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/21/97

>> A Corvette is the least of your worries. My stock VW Corrado (178hp)
has >>yet to lose to a 4.6L GT off the line or top end. That Corvette
>> is gona stomp you..sorry man.

I'm kinda surprised about this. I've beaten VR6's in my 86 GTI Tec II
car but have yet to beat a Mustang.

>I Like to stick up for fellow stangers'. I'll race your Imported German
>turd, plus the Vette, and you can have a 100 ft. handicap, and I will
>pass you 1/2 way through. Both of you.

Ah, I love a confident Mustang owner WITH something to back it up!

>1995 Ford Mustang COBRA R- BOSS SALEEN-
>590 H.p.
>0-60 4.1
>1/4 9.80 e.t.
>Don't ever trash talk a Mustang especially when you have an import unless

>it says Porsche 911 Turbo, or Lamborghini Diablo/Countach-

9.80? I'm thinking it take more hp to than 590 to do 9.80's. I assume
this is a full drag car right? We have a 660hp motor and a 2800-2900lb
car and are expecting to BARELY be able to break 9's. What do you
think?

Marc
"I'm lost-- I've gone out to look for myself.
If I return before I get back, please ask me to wait."
.oooO
( ) Oooo.
\ ( ( )
\__) ) /
(__/

Matthew J. Whitfield

May 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/21/97

Anyone else hear about newer Stangs getting "lift-off" at high speeds?

@ @
( ) Matt
Impe...@msn.com

Brad <br...@ro.com> wrote in article <5lt6lb$vn6$1...@news.ro.com>...

Arch Stanton

May 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/21/97

Olaf Brescia wrote:

> Arch Stanton wrote:
> >
> > Olaf Brescia wrote:

> > > is gona stomp you..sorry man.
> > > >

> > Nice try Olaf (Bang & Olafson -- did I spell it correct?). The American
> > stock VW Corrado's aren't going to run away from a Probe GT, how does it
> > defeat a Mustang GT, even if it has an automatic or better yet even if
> > it is an LX with a 3.8l V6?
> >
> > Arch.
>
> Read this, and yes my VR6 car easily will..
> http://www.wizvax.net/rwelty/scca/runoffs/96/results/ssa-race.txt

My apologies, I though with the "off the line" and "top speed"
statements you were talking about a "simple" straight standing 1/4 mile
drag race. Yes I agree, VW's (the few I have been in) have great
handling.

Surely you aren't saying the stock VW Corrado is quicker than a 96-97
Mustang GT are you?

Arch.

Bill Jones

May 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/21/97

Olaf Brescia <Olaf_B...@ccm.fm.intel.com> wrote in article
<338279...@ccm.fm.intel.com>...

> Wow..guess I touched a nerve. I’ll address that later.
> Was just trying to save this guy a little humiliation.
> Also I’d be concerned about a stock GT’s high speed
> stability at ~130mph. My observation was regarding
> the stock '96 Mustang GT vs. a stock VW Corrado
> VR6, (they cost about the same). My experience has
> been that the newer 4.6L GT is just not as quick or fast
> as the people buying them think they are.

Well, many people buying them look at the specifications published in
magazines such as Car And Driver or Road & Track. The specs in those
magazines for the 4.6 Mustangs look pretty good, and they beat most of the
cars listed on that Web page easily.

> Also this link
> shows the results of the '96 SCCA SSA Runoffs held
> at Mid-Ohio.
> http://www.wizvax.net/rwelty/scca/runoffs/96/results/ssa-race.txt
> The stock Ford was non competitive against cars the
> SCCA deems as similar in all around performance.

The cars listed on this WWW page are all stock? Why all the different
aftermarket automotive sponsors then?

Bill Jones e-mail addresses:
Computer Sciences Corp. (work) wjon...@csc.com
Norwich, Connecticut (play) bi...@mindport.net
(860) 437-5650 WWW: http://www.mindport.net/~billj

David A. Lyons

May 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/21/97

Olaf Brescia wrote:

> A Corvette is the least of your worries. My stock VW Corrado (178hp)
> has yet to lose to a 4.6L GT off the line or top end. That Corvette is
> gonna stomp you..sorry man.

Next time you go up against a SOHC 281 Mustang, let him know you want to
race him.

Imagine losing to a stock VW Corrado in a late-model V8 Mustang! What
an embarassment that would be! Unless you're only firing on 3
cylinders, run out of gas off the line, have a potato stuck in your
throttle body, or dragging one of those sleds they use in truck &
tractor pulls.

--
David Lyons
mailto:lyo...@alf.dec.com

Olaf Brescia

May 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/21/97

> Surely you aren't saying the stock VW Corrado is quicker than a 96-97
> Mustang GT are you?
>
> Arch.

I'm surely saying exactly that.

Maybe the guys I've run against in their GT's
are hamburgers and can't drive. I agree the
stock 5.0L is a faster ¼ mile car...sometimes,
but the 4.6L is not. It's almost dead even ¼
mile match. The GT really comes up short in the
non acceleration areas; transient handling, high
speed stability (~140mph) and of course brakes.
The VW has all these advantages on a road race
coarse, plus it's still a sub-7 sec.(0-60) car.
Too bad for all of us the stopped making
the Corrado and the 5.0.

Gary Henderson

May 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/21/97

>>1995 Ford Mustang COBRA R- BOSS SALEEN-
>>590 H.p.
>>0-60 4.1
>>1/4 9.80 e.t.
>>Don't ever trash talk a Mustang especially when you have an import unless
>
>>it says Porsche 911 Turbo, or Lamborghini Diablo/Countach-
>
>9.80? I'm thinking it take more hp to than 590 to do 9.80's. I assume
>this is a full drag car right? We have a 660hp motor and a 2800-2900lb
>car and are expecting to BARELY be able to break 9's. What do you
>think?

His 0-60 time of 4.1 is consistent with a mid 12 to low 13s 1/4 mile
depending on traction.

John Kowalski

May 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/22/97

Matthew J. Whitfield <Impe...@msn.com> wrote in article
<01bc654a$6ac7de40$cd512299@default>...

> I was racing a friend on a long stretch of new highway. I decided to
show
> him what he was up against. I hit 120 when I suddenly remembered someone
> telling me about his friend doing a backflip in his Mustang. I decided
> that the road was feeling a little too smooth so I let up. So I have no
> doubt you could do over 130. Wheather you live through it or not is a
> different question all together.
>
> I have a '95 GT by the way.
>

> @ @
> ( ) Matt
> Impe...@msn.com

A backflip? <cringe> Hate to ask what may have caused that.

Arch Stanton

May 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/22/97

Olaf Brescia wrote:

> > Surely you aren't saying the stock VW Corrado is quicker than a 96-97
> > Mustang GT are you?
> >
> > Arch.
>
> I'm surely saying exactly that.
>
> Maybe the guys I've run against in their GT's
> are hamburgers and can't drive. I agree the
> stock 5.0L is a faster ź mile car...sometimes,
> but the 4.6L is not. It's almost dead even ź

> mile match. The GT really comes up short in the
> non acceleration areas; transient handling, high
> speed stability (~140mph) and of course brakes.
> The VW has all these advantages on a road race
> coarse, plus it's still a sub-7 sec.(0-60) car.
> Too bad for all of us the stopped making
> the Corrado and the 5.0.

Your car is show-root stock right?
Then surely the all of the new VR6 equipped VW's all must run quicker
1/4 miles than the 96-98 Mustang GTs. Interesting. What were the SAE
net hp and torque of the VW V6s? They must deliver close to the same hp
and torque of the Mustang GT's -- that's sad. I just find it tough to
believe that the VW's would stay right with and defeat the Mustang GT's.
What did the car rags get the Corrado to do in the 1/4, 0-60mph, and
0-100mph? Must have been better than the Mustang since the rags did
both. Anyone have those reviews?

Arch.

Rich

May 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/22/97

On Tue, 20 May 1997 21:28:08 -0700, Olaf Brescia <Olaf_B...@ccm.fm.intel.com>
wrote:

>Also I’d be concerned about a stock GT’s high speed
>stability at ~130mph. My observation was regarding
> the stock '96 Mustang GT vs. a stock VW Corrado

All the rest of the BS aside, this concern would stem from lack of experience
(same would say ignorance). I've been in plenty of Fox-4 chassis Mustangs doing
130mph, and they were rock solid.

-Rich

Arch Stanton

May 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/22/97

Olaf Brescia wrote:

> > Surely you aren't saying the stock VW Corrado is quicker than a 96-97
> > Mustang GT are you?
> >
> > Arch.
>
> I'm surely saying exactly that.
>
> Maybe the guys I've run against in their GT's
> are hamburgers and can't drive. I agree the
> stock 5.0L is a faster ź mile car...sometimes,
> but the 4.6L is not. It's almost dead even ź
> mile match. The GT really comes up short in the
> non acceleration areas; transient handling, high
> speed stability (~140mph) and of course brakes.
> The VW has all these advantages on a road race
> coarse, plus it's still a sub-7 sec.(0-60) car.
> Too bad for all of us the stopped making
> the Corrado and the 5.0.

What are your drag strip times? We would be very interested to know
your 0-60ft, 0-330ft, 1/8mi, and 1/4 mile times and speeds where
appropriate. Maybe I'll go down to my local VW dealer and test drive a
VR6 equipped car, then go out looking for 4.6l GTs and 5.0 LX's and what
the hey, keep up with some Cobras too. We know, we know, all on 83
octane gas while getting 46mpg.

Arch.

Matthew J. Whitfield

May 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/22/97

John Kowalski <JMKow...@worldnet.att.net> wrote in article
<01bc6658$b55f2d00$99e992cf@pc-clone>...

> A backflip? <cringe> Hate to ask what may have caused that.

He may have just been trying to spook me. But, I have heard people say
that the late model Stangs actually get "lift" at high speeds. Something
about too much air being able to get under...
Am I being too gullible?

Jonathan Mavor

May 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/23/97

I've had my car ('96 cobra) up to 145. Twas a bit
floaty but overall not too bad. Very solid at 130 though.

-Jon

Dave A.

May 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/24/97

> He may have just been trying to spook me. But, I have heard people say
> that the late model Stangs actually get "lift" at high speeds. Something
> about too much air being able to get under...
> Am I being too gullible?

Hmm.. I dunno.. I took mine pretty high (125-132, maybe) ONCE, on a
clear night, when a pesky prelude needed a lesson taught ;)

But then again, my Mustang is lowered- quite a bit, actually, with
Bilstein shocks, full body stiffeners, etc., and race brake pads (Hawk
Carbotic). I wouldn't dream of going that fast with the stock car.

It was VERY stable with my setup at high speeds, and actually still
feels 'heavy'. If you're worried about flipping, get the new front
bumper/airdam from Saleen. That looks like it would add a lot of extra
front downforce, though you may scrape it a bit more.

-Dave
'94 GT

Matthew J. Whitfield

May 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/24/97

I eventually woudl like to get the works: side exaust etc. but... not
enough digits in my bank account balance right now. :)

@ @
( ) Matt
Impe...@msn.com

Dave A. <sasaki...@earthlink.net> wrote in article
<3386DE...@earthlink.net>...

coby hughey

May 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/25/97

I wouldn't worry about it too much; I took a '74 Bronco with 4.5" of lift and
36" tall tires to 120 recently, just to see what the new motor was feeling
like. 120mph isn't all that fast.

In article <3386DE...@earthlink.net>, sasaki...@earthlink.net spouts...

--
Coby Hughey
"By US Code Title 47, Sec.227(a)(2)(B), a computer/modem/printer meets the

4.Sixer

May 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/25/97

Olaf Brescia <Olaf_B...@ccm.fm.intel.com> wrote in article

<338131...@ccm.fm.intel.com>...

> > -JONBOY

> > A Corvette is the least of your worries. My stock VW Corrado (178hp)
has yet to lose to a 4.6L GT off the line or top end. That Corvette

> is gona stomp you..sorry man.

Another lost little boy with V-8 envy. Otherwise why would he be hanging
out on a Mustang site? Go
back and play with other little weenie-mobiles before someone bursts your
bubble.

Gary Henderson

May 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/25/97

>> > A Corvette is the least of your worries. My stock VW Corrado (178hp)
>has yet to lose to a 4.6L GT off the line or top end. That Corvette
>> is gona stomp you..sorry man.
>
>Another lost little boy with V-8 envy. Otherwise why would he be hanging
>out on a Mustang site? Go
>back and play with other little weenie-mobiles before someone bursts your
>bubble.

A guy at my work has an older VW Golf GTI. Its like an '87 or so.
Its 'worked' he says. I know it has exhaust and a K&N, but he says it
has all this other stuff and its so fast etc. He raced this other guy
in his '92 Hyndaii Elantra 5 speed w/ 1.8 after work one night. I
think that car has about 130 hp. Anyways, the Elantra buried him, and
Elantra's aren't known for their power:)

Dave A.

May 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/25/97

Matthew J. Whitfield wrote:

> I eventually woudl like to get the works: side exaust etc. but... not
> enough digits in my bank account balance right now. :)

The only kit I ever liked was the '94+ saleen kit, and the factory '93
Cobra kit. I didn't like the side exhausts for 3 reasons.

They might be a bit loud, and in traffic with the window down you may
smell a few fumes here 'an there..
They don't match the lines from the front bumper to the rear- they go
down too much. It might match better with a saleen frt/rear, or the
wings west add-ons, but definitely not the factory bumpers. If you must
get a side exh., I think Roush makes a clean one. Dunno if someone does
it for them or not.
The low hanging kit might also pose another problem- it looks like you
lose ground clearance a bit- maybe 2 inches at most. Not a good thing
if you're lowered. Just a few things to keep in mind!

Good luck!

-Dave A.
'94 GT

Bill Dicks

May 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/26/97

Hi Olaf,

What, still here?!?! Oh well if you can't own a Mustang, I guess the next best
thing is to hang with others who do. It's an envy thing, we understand. And
your Corrado - what a car!!!! It was so great that Volkswagon just couldn't
bear to build it anymore. Just as the multitude of prospective buyers couldn't
bear to own it. As I said, GREAT car hehehe.

As for Volkswagons vaunted high speed stability; I guess that's why VR6 GTi's and
Jetta's now come with a 115mph speed limiter. Yep, sure sounds like Volkswagon
is real sure of their cars high-speed stability alright.

And my, my, you sure hang on to your little link for dear life don't you? But if
you feel the need for a security blanket to make you feel more, er...adequate, you
just keep posting it whenever that inferior feeling rears it's nasty head. Like
when you're thinking about Corrado ownership.

Anyway, hope you like your Corrado and feel free to buy a new one...OOPS, already
covered that did'nt we...hehehe. Oh well at least you'll always be able to buy a
Mustang. Then you'll have a real performance car. Have fun!

Olaf Brescia

May 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/27/97

No, more like a stumbled into....
If you have something educated to say...feel free.

Olaf Brescia

May 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/27/97

Hi, Bill
Glad you read the link! Guess my work
here is done...Good luck with that GT
at the Runoff's, (the 328is is very fast this
year!) Take Care / Have Fun!

Bgfair

May 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/30/97

Mine will do 143 Mike

Olaf Brescia

May 31, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/31/97

Bill, (can I call you Bill?)
Normally I’d wouldn’t entertain this thread/link anymore,
but your ignorance is humorous, and besides it’s
the net, what did you expect? True the Corrado is no longer
produced, but that nothing new. Great cars come and go. VW
unveiled their new coupe design study at last Detroit auto show...
so we’ll see. True the VWs sold in the US have top speed limits,
as do many other cars sold here. That has everything to do with
the Goodyear GA’s fitted, (for what reason I have no idea, must
be lawyers) and nothing to do with stability. The Jetta come 160mph
speedometers & the Corrado has a speed-activated wing that deploys
(like Porsche) out to push the back of car down at high speeds. People
love numbers, so here are some for the US spec. Corrado VR6 (stock);
178 bhp @ 5800 rpm
177 lb-ft @ 4200 rpm
0-60 mph: 6.4 seconds
0-100 mph: 18.6 seconds
0-120 mph: 33.6 seconds
1/4 mile: 15.0 seconds @ ? mph
top speed: 143 mph (230 km/h)
The new GT probably is a bit quicker than the Jetta/GTI's but not
the Corrado. In the interest of fairness, the link was the only thing I
could find where the stock GT actually raced against stock VWs at a
national event. If you still gota have the Ford, save your money,
and buy something less embarrassing for a 4.6 V8, like the Cobra.
If you want to try to get that stock GT to 140mph without filing
a flight plan, go right ahead. I’ll watch from a safe distance,
like my rear view mirror...
" hehehe "

Marc2365

Jun 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/1/97

Man would I be embarrased if a Hundai beat my car.... I do find if
hard to believe that the GTI was beat (I have an 86 and once upon a
time it was stock).

Now about the Corrado.... The new VR6 GTI's have the same motor.
I think it would be a pretty good race against a 4.6 Stang. The
Mustang would probably beat the VW by a car or two though. The
VR6 is a good little motor. I believe they put out 172hp. And the
VR6 GTI weighs about 450lbs. less than the Stang. Another
reason I believe it would be a close race is in the above mentioned
"modified" 86 GTI that I own, I can hold off VR6's, but not by much.
I have not been able to beat a 4.6 yet. They usually take me by a
car or two.

Eric J. Simpson

Jun 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/1/97

The Corrado SLC posted even better numbers numbers when it first hit the
press in Car & Driver magazine (June 1992). The 0-100 was in 17.2
seconds, 0-120 in 29.6 seconds, top speed: 141 mph. It was pitted
against a Diamond Star AWD Turbo (Eclipse/Talon) where it outperformed
it in almost every respect. Oddly enough, in subsequent re-tests it
NEVER again performed as it did in the ealiest test. Not in Car &
Driver, not in Motor Trend.

Later in the same year as the first test, Car & Driver retested the
Corrado SLC in a coupe comparison where it performed thus:

0-60: 6.8 seconds
0-100: 18.6 seconds
0-120: 33.6 seconds
1/4 mile: 15.3 seconds @ 92 mph
Top speed: 137 mph

As the years went on, Corrado performance dropped precipitously. In
Motor Trend (August, '94) it posted thus:

0-60: 7.2 seconds
1/4 mile: 15.6 sec. @ 91.9 mph
Top Speed: Governed @ 115.

Sorry, but I think that the first Corrado loaned to Car & Driver by
Volkswagen was a "ringer." As for the rest, I imagine that if you own a
Corrado, you're bound to believe that yours performs as the one did in
the 6/92 Car & Driver. Not likely.

I don't own a Mustang or a Volkswagen. I'm just interested in the whole
truth being known about the Corrado.

-EJS

Gary Henderson

Jun 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/1/97

>Man would I be embarrased if a Hundai beat my car.... I do find if
>hard to believe that the GTI was beat (I have an 86 and once upon a
>time it was stock).

I've talked to guys who have been in this kid's GTI and they said its
real slow, like maybe 18s. Its probably not in good running shape,
amnd needs a tune-up etc....

>Now about the Corrado.... The new VR6 GTI's have the same motor.
>I think it would be a pretty good race against a 4.6 Stang.

One of my friend's goes to Rutgers and when his '92 GT 5 speed was
stock he had a couple good races with a Corrado. The Corrado is green
and says 'Excessive Neuspeed' on the back. Anyways he said both times
it was close. His GT was much faster off the line but from 30 or so,
it was even.

Gary Henderson

Jun 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/1/97

>The Corrado SLC posted even better numbers numbers when it first hit the
>press in Car & Driver magazine (June 1992). The 0-100 was in 17.2
>seconds, 0-120 in 29.6 seconds, top speed: 141 mph. It was pitted
>against a Diamond Star AWD Turbo (Eclipse/Talon) where it outperformed
>it in almost every respect. Oddly enough, in subsequent re-tests it
>NEVER again performed as it did in the ealiest test. Not in Car &
>Driver, not in Motor Trend.

Alot of times when cars first come out the magazines test a 'ringer'
or a real quick one. Back in '92 or so I think it was C&D that tested
the new Supra Turbo and it ran 13.1. Thats pretty fast for a stock
car, and as we know is a bit quicker then they typically run.

Dave A.

Jun 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/1/97

> it was close. His GT was much faster off the line but from 30 or so,
> it was even.

The VR6 is an interesting motor.. in my friend's GTI, it has abysmal
<2000 rpm power, but really spools up above 3000, giving a real sense of
pull. What that car really needs is a whipple supercharger, or an
initial NOS boost! It is the smoothest motor I've ever driven.. 'course
I'd probably trash him in a race in my mod GT.

-Dave A.
'94 GT

Dave A.

Jun 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/1/97

> 178 bhp @ 5800 rpm
> 177 lb-ft @ 4200 rpm
> 0-60 mph: 6.4 seconds
> 0-100 mph: 18.6 seconds
> 0-120 mph: 33.6 seconds
> 1/4 mile: 15.0 seconds @ ? mph
> top speed: 143 mph (230 km/h)

I dunno about the '96+ GT, but the '95 GT (5.0)'s specs were:

215 bhp @ 4200
285 lb-ft@ 3400
0-60: 6.5
0-100: 18.4
0-130: 48.8 (sorry, no 0-120)
top speed: 137 mph

yes, these are C&D figures. By these, the 5.0 is marginally faster than
the corrado. Dunno about the 4.6

And the GTI IS quicker than the Corrado. We've driven both. A hopped
up GTI also has a more solid feel than the Corrado, but may just be due
to the GTI being 3 years newer.

BTW, a GT-40'd mustang (~2500 kit?) gets a 14.2 sec 0-100!

-Dave A.
'94 GT

Edward Kim

Jun 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/2/97

Olaf Brescia (Olaf_B...@ccm.fm.intel.com) wrote:
: love numbers, so here are some for the US spec. Corrado VR6 (stock);
: 178 bhp @ 5800 rpm
: 177 lb-ft @ 4200 rpm
: 0-60 mph: 6.4 seconds
: 0-100 mph: 18.6 seconds
: 0-120 mph: 33.6 seconds
: 1/4 mile: 15.0 seconds @ ? mph
: top speed: 143 mph (230 km/h)

And these #s come from where?

+Edward Kim +
+Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta Georgia, 30332 +
+uucp: ...!{decvax,hplabs,ncar,purdue,rutgers}!gatech!prism!+
+1996 Mustang GT White/Black interior 5-speed +
+SVO 3.55s, SVO subframes, K&N w/o air intake silencer +

Edward Kim

Jun 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/2/97

Gary Henderson (ga...@superlink.net) wrote:
: A guy at my work has an older VW Golf GTI. Its like an '87 or so.

: Its 'worked' he says. I know it has exhaust and a K&N, but he says it
: has all this other stuff and its so fast etc. He raced this other guy
: in his '92 Hyndaii Elantra 5 speed w/ 1.8 after work one night. I
: think that car has about 130 hp. Anyways, the Elantra buried him, and
: Elantra's aren't known for their power:)

That's pretty embarrassing! One time I beat a 94+ V6 Mustang in my loaner
'96 Ford Taurus LX. I egged him on to race on the highway knowing that
the Taurus had a chance of beating it. And sure enough, at around 70MPH
my car pulled ahead ever so slightly. The Duratec in that Taurus had a
little pep to it. Especially at 3K when the second intake runners opened
up. Felt like a family model of the Cobra :).

Marc2365

Jun 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/2/97

>>Corrado VR6 (stock);
>> 178 bhp @ 5800 rpm
>>177 lb-ft @ 4200 rpm
>> 0-60 mph: 6.4 seconds
>> 0-100 mph: 18.6 seconds
>> 0-120 mph: 33.6 seconds
>> 1/4 mile: 15.0 seconds @ ? mph
>> top speed: 143 mph (230 km/h)
>> The new GT probably is a bit quicker than the Jetta/GTI's but not
>> the Corrado. In the interest of fairness, the link was the only thing I
>> could find where the stock GT actually raced against stock VWs at a
>> national event. If you still gota have the Ford, save your money,
>> and buy something less embarrassing for a 4.6 V8, like the Cobra.
>> If you want to try to get that stock GT to 140mph without filing
>> a flight plan, go right ahead. I’ll watch from a safe distance,
>> like my rear view mirror...
>> " hehehe "

>The Corrado SLC posted even better numbers numbers when it first hit the

>press in Car & Driver magazine (June 1992). The 0-100 was in 17.2
>seconds, 0-120 in 29.6 seconds, top speed: 141 mph. It was pitted
>against a Diamond Star AWD Turbo (Eclipse/Talon) where it outperformed
>it in almost every respect. Oddly enough, in subsequent re-tests it
>NEVER again performed as it did in the ealiest test. Not in Car &
>Driver, not in Motor Trend.

>Later in the same year as the first test, Car & Driver retested the

>Corrado SLC in a coupe comparison where it performed thus:

>0-60: 6.8 seconds
>0-100: 18.6 seconds
>0-120: 33.6 seconds
>1/4 mile: 15.3 seconds @ 92 mph
>Top speed: 137 mph

>As the years went on, Corrado performance dropped precipitously. In
>Motor Trend (August, '94) it posted thus:
>0-60: 7.2 seconds
>1/4 mile: 15.6 sec. @ 91.9 mph
>Top Speed: Governed @ 115.

>Sorry, but I think that the first Corrado loaned to Car & Driver by
>Volkswagen was a "ringer." As for the rest, I imagine that if you own a
>Corrado, you're bound to believe that yours performs as the one did in
>the 6/92 Car & Driver. Not likely.

The "European" Corrado was very quick for a 6. Much quicker than the
American car we got. I've heard 0-60 in 6 secs and 1/4 in 14.8. Here,
the new VR6 GTI is quicker than the Corrado was.

Arch

Jun 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/2/97

Amazing how 178 peak hp and 177 ft-lbs torque get the car thru the 1/4
in 15 flat. How much did this "Corrado" weigh? 2100 lbs?

Arch.

Olaf Brescia

Jun 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/3/97

Firstly, this is rather bizarre to be discussing
a VW on a Ford Mustang news group. Again, 0-60
numbers never tell the hole story. Like buying
a power-amp... Just reading the watt per channel
doesn’t tell you how it sounds. I’ve actually have
done 140+ mph in my SLC. I’ve beaten all manner
of Ford products and well as imports..(lost some too)
Keep in mind the car was marketed in Europe & the
UK to compete against Porsche, and is why it needed
the good performance. You'll never be very near the
truth reading Motor Trend. Stick with Road & Track.
In '94 they did put on 115 mph governor on because
of the Eagle GA (crap) tires fitted to the US
bound models. You just chip the car to remove
the governor.(& remember to buy new tires).
It's a very fast car, trust me, and that's
the whole truth.

- Olaf 93 SLC

Dave A.

Jun 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/5/97

> done 140+ mph in my SLC. I致e beaten all manner

> of Ford products and well as imports..(lost some too)
> Keep in mind the car was marketed in Europe & the

Sorry to be a bubble buster, but Euro (and maybe some US and Jap. cars)
usually have very 'generous' speedometers.

The R&T top speed test showed that the 911 turbo's speedometer read 195,
whn in fact he was only going 180. Expect a +- 10mph variance in speedo
figures. Once, my INTEGRA, yes, slow crap-car that it was, got up to
138 on the speedo- do I really think that car got up there? You're
kidding, right? 130, MAYBE....

-Dave

5.0 wizzard

Oct 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/9/97

co...@holly.colostate.edu (coby hughey) wrote:

Who cares about top speed anyways!.... Noone can use it in
California anyways. All we care about is 1/4 miles times here.

5.0 wizzard

aaronc...@gmail.com

Sep 29, 2017, 4:10:06 AM9/29/17
Hahaa nailed it! Stangs are the best car to drive for the price hands down!

kaih...@gmail.com

Sep 3, 2018, 10:14:02 PM9/3/18
On Saturday, May 17, 1997 at 12:00:00 AM UTC-7, JonBoy888 wrote:
> I've got a Corvette owner breathing down my back saying that my stock '96
> Mustang GT couldn't even do 130 mph on the track. Before taking him down
> to the track, I'd like to make sure I can make him eat his words. Does
> anyone know the real top-speed of the '96 Stang GT.
>
> P.S. Even though it may not be the fastest, it's definitely the best.
>
> -JONBOY

I searched it up, the top speed of a '96 mustang gt is 140 mph(not sure if tuned, sorry)

patric...@gmail.com

Aug 6, 2019, 10:02:27 PM8/6/19
Not necessarily some cars esp depends on rear gears have slower 0-60 times depending on alot of reasons tired/ traction, read diff gearing, transmission set up , like a Lamborghini starts off not the fastest but will blow past u I’m the half mile... mustangs are not really made for drag racing they are track cars but people make them into drag and do 8’s in the quarter with as little as 500hp but we were talking about a stick 96 mustang GT weren’t we? Lol 😂 and look up police chases I remember seeing one with a similar year stang and it was doing 140 top speed and I’ve had mine maybe possibly to 115 with more to go but wasn’t taking it there I had to get off the interstate maybe or it could have been a vision I saw lol 😂 it was real I swear!! Not admitting to carap!!! Lol