Someone tried to break into my car

Joe Luna

Jan 11, 2001, 10:51:08 PM1/11/01
This morning I woke up to go to work and went to put the
key the drivers side door of my 97GT. When I looked down the lock was
hanging out, it looked like someone had pried it out with a screwdriver
or something. I called the police to see if I could get them to come and
fingerprint the car or something but it was cold and semi-moist last
night and when they came they just took a report, there was no real
usable evidence but I figured I might as well get it documented.

I pushed the lock back in and put the key in and it
worked fine but the lock won't stay in the door, it keeps coming out
partially. I went to my passenger side door to let my wife in later in
the day and the damn lock on the passenger side won't work. so I take a
close look and it looked like someone tried to force a key or something
into it and now its all f*cked up and doesn't work at all.

My question is Do I need to buy 2 new locks or just the
passenger side? Will I be stuck having 2 different keys for the car now?
How are the locks secured in the door? I dont think crazy glue would be
too sensible for the drivers side door, so what do I use to secure it in
the door?
TIA for any help. Having a string of bad luck, first my
windshield got cracked, now this, and you know what they say," Bad
things come in 3's." . . . cross your fingers for me.------JOE

Justin Starkey

Jan 11, 2001, 11:51:23 PM1/11/01
You woudl have to have two different keys for the car or you could also
replace the ign. cylinder but that would require buying two new pats keys
too plus the ign. cylinder
the ign key cylinder is not hard to replace, if you turn the car to on,
stick a pin up in the offset hold on the direct under side of the steering
colum and then pull on the key and pull the pin out the cylinder comes right
out, good way to scare your friend if youre in their car, don't worry it
pops right back in

--
Justin - 2000 Mustang V6 AODE Bright Atlantic Blue
GT 2.25" Dual Exhaust, Coldpower II w/ K&N, B&M Tranny Cooler, Jacobs Wires,
Joe Luna <JL...@webtv.net> wrote in message

A Guy Named Steve

Jan 11, 2001, 11:50:44 PM1/11/01
JL...@webtv.net (Joe Luna) wrote:

> This morning I woke up to go to work and went to put the
>key the drivers side door of my 97GT. When I looked down the lock was
>hanging out, it looked like someone had pried it out with a screwdriver
>or something. I called the police to see if I could get them to come and
>fingerprint the car or something but it was cold and semi-moist last
>night and when they came they just took a report, there was no real
>usable evidence but I figured I might as well get it documented.

If it was near freezing, fingerprints are nearly impossible to get. The best
conditions are during the summer when it's nice and warm.

>My question is Do I need to buy 2 new locks or just the
>passenger side? Will I be stuck having 2 different keys for the car now?
>How are the locks secured in the door? I dont think crazy glue would be
>too sensible for the drivers side door, so what do I use to secure it in
>the door?

Do you have insurance to cover this? It'd be better to pay the deductible
(unless it's insanely high) and have it done right, along with having the new
lock cylinder rekeyed to match.

Steve
'71 Buick GS 455
http://members.aol.com/SEEverist/index.html
"I'll add that to my threat collection." Harry Callahan

a l e x

Jan 12, 2001, 12:24:59 AM1/12/01
That really sucks. I had to replace just the trunk cylinder for my 66
mustang but my local locksmith was able to make me a new key that could open
both the new, unmatched trunk lock and my old doors and ignition - I have no
idea how, but it may be possible to go get just one new lock, give a
locksmith both keys (old and new) and have one new key made that will work
for everything. Everyone else is right though, if you have insurance you
might as well get it done right. Do yourself a favor and go out and rent
Robocop II this weekend. You'll have a good laugh at what happens to
attempted car theives in the future. I think it was II anyway....

- a l e x

Brian

Jan 12, 2001, 9:43:30 AM1/12/01
About 5 years ago, some assholes busted my trunk lock
I went to the dealer for a new lock, and somehow they made the new lock work
with my existing door key - so it CAN be done. I have no idea how, I just
remember the guy needing my key for about 10 minutes and then giving me a new
trunk lock with my old key in it.

(it was a um chevy dealer.... pre-stang years)

Brian

My question is Do I need to buy 2 new locks or just the
>passenger side? Will I be stuck having 2 different keys for the car now?

(remove MMM to reply)
97GT Conv. Black/tan
Lightbar, Borla side exhaust, aeroshield, B&M,
3.27's, cobra rims, March underdrives, C/C plates,
headers, Tokicos, Jamex, MAC cold air+K&N

http://communities.msn.com/schlolssweetpics/home.htm

}{amer

Jan 12, 2001, 12:22:47 PM1/12/01
On Thu, 11 Jan 2001 22:51:08 -0500 (EST), JL...@webtv.net (Joe Luna)
wrote:

> I pushed the lock back in and put the key in and it
>worked fine but the lock won't stay in the door, it keeps coming out
>partially. I went to my passenger side door to let my wife in later in
>the day and the damn lock on the passenger side won't work. so I take a
>close look and it looked like someone tried to force a key or something
>into it and now its all f*cked up and doesn't work at all.

Buy a 99/00 Mustang - there is no keyhole on the passenger side
(another one of Ford's brilliant ideas) :-)

But seriously, sorry to hear about your misfortune. I don't think you
have much choice than replace the ignition and two door locks. They
sell it as a set from your Ford dealer.

Good Luck,

}{amer

Marc Warden

Jan 12, 2001, 2:34:01 PM1/12/01
Joe Luna wrote:

I have changed the tumblers in house locks to make the new lock fit an
existing key so I wouldn't have to carry around two different keys.

You take out the cylinder, remove the tumblers and experiment with them to
find out in what new order they have to be installed to fit the existing
key.

Be careful -- the tumblers are small and if you lose one (and I did!) you
could be in trouble. Or not. I just left one of the tumbler's holes empty,
so instead of there being 5 tumblers which had to be brought to the right
height in order to allow the cylinder to turn, only 4 had to be. It would
have made picking the lock a little easier, but most crooks do not come
through the front door by picking the lock, but twisting the knob off with a
large pair of channel lock pliers, or busting through a back window. (They
like to go out the front door which is why I have a double-key deadbolt on
the front and in fact all outside doors. The bastards are going to have to
crawl out carrying my stuff the same way they crawled in...)

I'm not a locksmith but I would check with one or a knowledgable car repair
shop (maybe the dealer's service department but maybe not) to see if the new
door locks can be changed to work with your existing ignition/door key.

Sincerely,

MarcW.

BtotheC

Jan 12, 2001, 3:13:44 PM1/12/01
Get new door lock's and take them and your ignition key to any locksmith. He
can adjust the tumblers inside the lock to work with your old key..There is
no reason to get a new ignition..

"}{amer" <Hamer@Hush*Mail.com> wrote in message

Fred

Jan 12, 2001, 4:18:37 PM1/12/01
I'm pretty sure that if you take your car to the dealer and tell them your
situation they will know exactly what info to get and will be able to get
you new locks that fit the same key you are using now. It's just like if you
had lost your keys and needed new ones. They could order just the keys by
using your VIN. They can do the same with your locks.

Good Luck and get a motion/impact sensor capable alarm for the future.

"Joe Luna" <JL...@webtv.net> wrote in message

: This morning I woke up to go to work and went to put the

:

Windsor Fox

Jan 12, 2001, 6:09:06 PM1/12/01
Joe Luna wrote:

As a certified locksmith I can tell you, you may only need the passenger
lock, and only if a lock smith can't repair it by removing what's in it
and/or replacing a marred pin. The driver door has the clip yanked off and
it's in the door. If the cylinder isn't scarred and the clip not broken it
can be put back on. You do NOT have to buy all or deal with different keys,
the new cylinder can be keyed like the rest. Do NOT try to rekey it
yourself by changing the pins around, there are about 50 different sizes of
pins, at best you will have to remove one or two. As a bonus, if you don't
have an alarm (though you may get one now) you can replace the cylinder in
the steering colum with one for a door and key it to the door key and then
the same key works everything. That's how the cop cars work. Another bonus,
take one door key and cut one side for car A and the other side for car B,
you can now no longer insert and use the key in either direction, but you
can work 2 cars with one key.

--
"Shut her down Mr. Scott, she's suckin' mud..."

"The frozen North will hatch a flightless bird, who will spread his wings
and dominate the Earth.
He will cause an empire by the sea to fall, to the astonishment and delight
of all."

BOYCOTT Excessive Motorsports !!

JD Fensty

Jan 13, 2001, 1:40:17 AM1/13/01
>large pair of channel lock pliers, or busting through a back window. (They
>like to go out the front door which is why I have a double-key deadbolt on
>the front and in fact all outside doors. The bastards are going to have to
>crawl out carrying my stuff the same way they crawled in...)

Hmmmm...I dunno. You may regret that some day if there's a fire or some
other reason you need to get out that door FAST and you don't have your
keys handy...

On the other hand I do understand your logic. Shame booby traps are
illegal isn't it?

JD

--
JD Fensty
www.fensty.com

RAMFM / A.C.F-P:

00 GT 'vert - http://mustang.fensty.com
K&N and Tri-Ax

89 PGT Turbo - http://probe.fensty.com
Still "bone stock"

Fred

Jan 13, 2001, 12:01:19 PM1/13/01
Wow... that 2 car with one key thing is pretty neato. IU never though about
that. I guess on older cars that have a different door and ignition key you
could do the same and have one key for both. Interesting.

"Windsor Fox" <windsorf...@home.com> wrote in message

:
:

Joe Luna

Jan 14, 2001, 11:19:02 AM1/14/01
Thanks for all the help guys, I am paying for the lock out of pocket
because I have made 2 insurance claims in the past 2 months and don't
want them to try and raise premiums or start questioning my integrity, I
appreciate everyones input and advice. THANKS AGAIN----JOE

Goose

Feb 5, 2001, 6:27:25 PM2/5/01
Get an alarm without a siren, but a pager. What you do beyond that is up to
you...