about the room to sleep in a ford explorer

Cécile Allera

Jun 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/20/99
Hello,

My wife & I are expecting to use a Ford Explorer during our next travel to
Canada.
We'd like to know how it is possible to sleep in that car (do the front seat
recline enough or do the rear seats go to horizontal, on which version of
Explorers ?).

Thanks for your answer.

Rick

Jun 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/20/99
"Cécile Allera" <all...@club-internet.fr> wrote:

My wife (5'8) and I (6'1") have spend a few nights comfortably in the
back of our 91 explorer.

Rick Streifel
lock...@bc.sympatico.ca
N 49.16.34.2
W123.01.36.9

Frank

Jun 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/20/99
You get about 6' in the rear bed with an essentially flat surface.

Paul

Jun 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/20/99
Cécile Allera wrote in message <7kjnvk$9jt$1...@front2m.grolier.fr>...
>My wife & I are expecting to use a Ford Explorer during our next travel to
>Canada.
>We'd like to know how it is possible to sleep in that car (do the front
seat
>recline enough or do the rear seats go to horizontal, on which version of
>Explorers ?).

I'm 6'5" and have slept comfortablty at least 25 times in my 1991 4 door.
Neither my head nor feet are touching, though I put the front passenger seat
foreward for a little extra room. I reccommend a therm-a-rest to aleviate
the small bump where the back seat and hinged back seat cover meet. Just
remember that with a therm-a-rest the secret is to let most of the air out,
until your shoulders and rear are on the ground. (When thermal insulation
isn't an issue) With two people you'll have to put most of your gear up on
the front seats, or pile it at your feet against the rear door.

In my 91 you can't open the rear door or glass hatch from inside the
vehicle so your egress is through the side doors.

Paul

lcs Mixmaster Remailer

Jun 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/21/99
lock...@bc.sympatico.ca (Rick ) wrote:

>My wife (5'8) and I (6'1") have spend a few nights comfortably in the
>back of our 91 explorer.

Details!

David

Jun 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/21/99
On 21 Jun 1999 00:00:06 -0000, lcs Mixmaster Remailer
<m...@anon.lcs.mit.edu> wrote:

I bought a 98 and I had to leave on an Emergency trip to NC to pick up
my mother who totalled her 1990 Crown Vic going 55 MPH into a stopped
vehicle, and obtained no injuried except for Chemical burn from a 1st
Gen airbag.

I got tired about 6 hours on the road. Decided to pull over in a rest
area and catch some shut after a friendly SC State Trooper suggested
it. I get lead feet when i get sleepy. Anyhow I folded down the back
seat, I'm 5'11", and I put my clothes bag up ,as I had no pillow, for
a pillow for me. I slept from one to 5:30am.

I would imagine ou could put in a blow up mattress and sleep quite
fine with 2 people comfy. You could also fuel it up and run the A/C
and keep it nice and cool too while you sleep.

Something to think about

David
TDC Keeper of the Fountain of the Nations

cust...@hotmail.com

Jun 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/21/99
On Mon, 21 Jun 1999 02:28:46 GMT, snoo...@bellsouth.nospamnet (David
) wrote:

>I would imagine ou could put in a blow up mattress and sleep quite
>fine with 2 people comfy. You could also fuel it up and run the A/C
>and keep it nice and cool too while you sleep.
>
>Something to think about

I don't think you would want to try this very often with the danger of
carbon monoxide poisoning....

Rick

Jun 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/21/99
lcs Mixmaster Remailer <m...@anon.lcs.mit.edu> wrote:

>lock...@bc.sympatico.ca (Rick ) wrote:
>
>>My wife (5'8) and I (6'1") have spend a few nights comfortably in the
>>back of our 91 explorer.
>
>Details!

Well, I move the front seats forward as far as they will go and then
tilt the backs forward to give as much room as possible. I have two
thermarest camping mattresses, but I prefer to let them self inflate
and give them one extra breath of air for a slightly firmer feel. Try
and find a level parking spot, or at least put your head uphill. I
also open the sun roof for air.

JAY585COOL

Jun 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/21/99
>>Details!
>>
>Well, I move the front seats forward as far as they will go and then
>tilt the backs forward to give as much room as possible. I have two
>thermarest camping mattresses, but I prefer to let them self inflate
>and give them one extra breath of air for a slightly firmer feel. Try
>and find a level parking spot, or at least put your head uphill. I
>also open the sun roof for air.
>

>Rick Streifel
>lock...@bc.sympatico.ca
>N 49.16.34.2
>W123.01.36.9

I'm just about willing to bet that's not what he meant when he said "details",
Locksmith. heh, I think he meant something more along the lines of "hey..you
and your wife fuck, or what?" Just my crude, yet honest observation.

Jay - 1999 Explorer Sport. Black on grey leather, CD, cassette, loaded with
every option. It's quick, but it's not a Mustang. Damn, how i miss the rumble
of the exhaust

Jacob Suter

Jun 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/21/99
> I'm just about willing to bet that's not what he meant when he said
"details",
> Locksmith. heh, I think he meant something more along the lines of
"hey..you
> and your wife *edited*, or what?" Just my crude, yet honest observation.

Hmmmmm... I hadn't thought of that... *squeek squeek squeek*

naah, squeeky rear springs, I'd lose the mood.

JS

Joseph Almanzo

Jun 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/22/99
Jacob Suter wrote:

> Hmmmmm... I hadn't thought of that... *squeek squeek squeek*
>
> naah, squeeky rear springs, I'd lose the mood.
>
> JS

My 96 XLT made no squeaks. But the carpeting in back is hell on your
knees.

Joe :-D

Bob Moser Jr.

Jun 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/24/99
Hehe! Had to chuckle on that note... I have to agree there is enough room in
our '92 to sleep and or test the rear leafs for squeaks! :)

Bob.

Lori Harding

Jun 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/24/99
10-4 ...... yup, i agree. :-) put down the seat.. and two fit perfectly in
the back !

--
Lori Harding

Jason

Jun 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/25/99
I don't know how tall you guys are, but my 96 probably only has about
5'10 inches of room. I'm 6'3" and I have to bend my knees to fit in
there. I guess I could always open the hatch and turn the light out and
be happy, but then I'd have those darn mosquitos bugging and biting me
all night.

Happy sleeping (or whatever you do in the back of your Explorer)!

John Knox

Jun 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/25/99
I too have spent a few (3 or 4) nights in the back of our '96 Sport. I'm 5'11",
she is 5'2" I have to curl up a bit but it works. The only problem we have is
when mother nature calls. Getting out of the back of the Sport can be
challenging.

John K

"Cécile Allera" wrote:

> Hello,

> My wife & I are expecting to use a Ford Explorer during our next travel to
> Canada.
> We'd like to know how it is possible to sleep in that car (do the front seat
> recline enough or do the rear seats go to horizontal, on which version of
> Explorers ?).
>

> Thanks for your answer.

Zorak03

Jun 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/26/99
i think a ford explorer would be ok to sleep in, but the little metal things on
the floor in the rear cargo area would be a pain

David Zap Czaplicki

Jun 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/26/99
>i think a ford explorer would be ok to sleep in, but the little metal things
>on
>the floor in the rear cargo area would be a pain

Just use an ensolite pad or air mattress and you won't even feel the metal
hooks. I'm 6'3'' and sleep in the back at traiheads if I need to get an early
start on a climb.

Zap
Seattle

hehaman

Jun 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/26/99
My car recently developing that kind of noise, it seem a common problem in
this car , so would Ford fix this problem for free? I have extended warranty
too.

ubject:Re: scraping noise on right turns only (Ford
Contour)Date:1998/07/15Author:RacerDave6 <racer...@aol.com>  Posting
History <Picture>

Most likely the sway bar is hitting the subframe. This was a common problem
with this model, as the sway bar stops would crack and the bar will slide and
contact the frame. Look at the right side frame for wear/shiny spot from the
rubbing. The bar needs to be replaced to fix this right, and it's not really
something you can do at home, as the subframe needs to be lowered to get it
in. It's a real pain in the butt job to do.   Dave

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Phil Up Heer

Jun 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/28/99
In article <19990625201003...@ng-fj1.aol.com>, zor...@aol.com (Zorak03) babbled on and on:

>i think a ford explorer would be ok to sleep in, but the little metal things on
>the floor in the rear cargo area would be a pain

The double size air blue velvet mattress they sell at Academy, Walmart ( if
you like to subsidize Religious right-wing censorship), or Kmart for $19.99 fits
just right.
And a $14.99 cigarette lighter air pump, and you'll sleep like a baby.