S-10 2.8 to 3.4 engine swap - anyone actually do it?

Dennis Thompson

Feb 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/14/00
My 1986 S-10 4x4 has over 200,000 miles, but has begun to lose idle oil
pressure and smoke a bit more. I guess it's time for a rebuild/replace. I was
thinking of putting a used 3.4 V-6 engine in instead of just rebuilding the
2.8.

I know the 3.4 was used in 93-95 Camaros and will physically fit the S-10. But
what about the fuel injection and computer? Do I put my existing TBI onto the
3.4 engine? Do I use the 3.4's TBI with the old 2.8 computer? Do I use the 3.4
TBI and a computer from the Camaro?

Anyone actually do this swap and have some hard information? Any information
would be appreciated. I have searched all the S-10 info on the web that I can
find, nothing that covers specifics, just a few "Yeah, its easy to do"
postings.

Thanks,

Dennis

Dan Oglesby

Feb 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/14/00

This isn't a hard swap, just take the 3.4L block and the 2.8L fuel injection
system, and splice them together. I haven't done it, but a lot of 2.8L Camaro
and Firebird owners have done this in the past. Check out http://www.f-body.org
and see if you can find any information on this in the FAQs. If all else fails,
try http://www.thirdgen.org, and go to the V6 engine board. There was
discussion of the 2.8L --> 3.4L swap recently... Another website to check would
be http://ken.lowrance.com/1982Firebird/1982_Firebird.htm

Danno

rat...@interlog.com

Mar 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/16/00
Wouldn't the 4.3L V6 they eventually went to for the S series
trucks be easier, since they've already designed the mounts
and gear for putting it in a truck just like yours?

Dan Oglesby

Mar 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/16/00
rat...@interlog.com wrote:

> Wouldn't the 4.3L V6 they eventually went to for the S series
> trucks be easier, since they've already designed the mounts
> and gear for putting it in a truck just like yours?

Nope, because the 4.3L V6 is a 90 degree block, vs the 3.4L V6 which is a 60
degree block (the same as the 2.8L). The 3.4L will bolt right up to pretty much
everything the 2.8L did, whereas the 4.3L would involve the same effort to
convert the truck to a regular short block V8 engine. The 4.3L has pretty much
nothing in common with the 2.8L, 3.1L, or the 3.4L.

Danno

Dan Oglesby

Mar 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/16/00
Dan Oglesby wrote:

> rat...@interlog.com wrote:
> >
> > Wouldn't the 4.3L V6 they eventually went to for the S series
> > trucks be easier, since they've already designed the mounts
> > and gear for putting it in a truck just like yours?
> >

> Nope, because the 4.3L V6 is a 90 degree block, vs the 3.4L V6 which is a 60
> degree block (the same as the 2.8L). The 3.4L will bolt right up to pretty much
> everything the 2.8L did, whereas the 4.3L would involve the same effort to
> convert the truck to a regular short block V8 engine. The 4.3L has pretty much
> nothing in common with the 2.8L, 3.1L, or the 3.4L.
>
> Danno

To clarify what I meant by my post above, the 3.4L should drop right in where
the 2.8L went without changing engine mounts or the transmission bellhousing,
and the FI system should bolt right on and work (although you may need to get a
custom chip burnt to make it run top notch). The 4.3L engine wouldn't bolt up
to the transmission, wouldn't work with the computer, and may not fit well in
the 2.8L's engine mounts. Accessories may also not fit properly on the 4.3L.

Check out some of the Camaro/Firebird websites for information regarding a 2.8L
to 3.4L swap...

jed

Mar 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/17/00
37 CRATE ENGINES HT 3.4 - PART NUMBER 12363230 160 Horsepower : The perfect
upgrade from your tired 2.8 V6
HT 3.4
Tired of that tired 2.8 V6 in your S-truck? It's time for a major upgrade,
GM Performance Parts style. The HT 3.4 is a bolt in replacement for the 2.8
V6 in your 1982 - 1985 S-10 pickup or Blazer. And it's emission legal in 49
states (Yes, you guessed it, California said no.) But for the rest of us,
the HT 3.4 is the best thing going. With 160 horsepower and 194 Ft. Lbs. of
torque your truck will feel better than new, and tow better than ever.
The heads have large 1.72" intake and 1.42" exhaust valves and combustion
chambers that yield a healthy 9 to 1 compression ratio. The camshaft is a
high lift, short duration design, developed to produce lots of strong low
end torque and mid range horsepower. With .427" intake and .454" exhaust
lift, the cam ensures a strong pull to 5000 RPM. Doesn't sound like your 2.8
V6 at all does it? It isn't, when GM Performance Parts develops an engine we
focus on making power. But not power for the sake of power, but power where
you need it. For great drivability, towing performance and maybe even a
little off road fun.
The HT 3.4, a serious upgrade for your favorite little truck. With 40 more
horsepower than your 2.8 V6, why would you even consider rebuilding that old
2.8? The induction system, ignition system, exhaust, emission controls,
water pump and other parts required to bolt in your new HT 3.4 are already
on your truck. Sounds like a weekend project or talk to your GM Performance
Parts Authorized Center, they can install it for you.

"Dan Oglesby" <da...@vet.purdue.edu> wrote in message

SHill34390

Mar 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/18/00
>The HT 3.4 is a bolt in replacement for the 2.8
>V6 in your 1982 - 1985 S-10 pickup or Blazer

I've been considering the same swap for a 2.8 with 215000 miles on it, but why
does GM advertise it as a swap for 1982-1985 S-10? I thought that I had heard
there wasn't a manifold for the TBI unit that would fit it. Does anyone know
it that is true? Thanks.

Scott

Atomic Punk

Mar 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/21/00

Reasons are in 86 Chev went to the 4.3L and it used a diffrent
bellhouse pattern. Also no one bothered to tell anyone about the
aluminum heads on the 3.4 engine and all the little sealing problems.

Want the same power level without as much bullshit try running the
Camaro Port injection on the 2.8 and see what happens, you may have to
tighten your hat by one notch, this I have done and working on another
for a Jeep Comanche pickup truck. 2.8 engines like to spin and are one
of the most reliable engines next to the 350s with the advantage of
fitting into small places without alot of work.

Been there done that who wants to race?

Atomic Punk

SHill34390

Mar 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/23/00
The 4.3L came out for use in the S-10 after 1986, but I do know that there was
a redesign to the 2.8L between 1985 and 1986. I was wondering if the redesign
included changes to the intake bolt pattern, water pump, or distributer that
would prevent putting the 3.4L in the S-10 and bolting up the remaining 1986
2.8L accessories.

Scott

Atomic Punk

Mar 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/26/00

Externally they are the same just the crank was beefed up, larger
mains and better oil pump. Everything else is about the same but I
dont know if the engine has the mountpads for the rear drive or if GM
redesigned some stamped metal ones for camaros and the like with the
3.4

Atomic Punk

SHill34390

Mar 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/27/00
Thanks for the info. I think that I'll have to put a call into GM's hotline
and see if they have a definitive answer.

Scott

Thomas Newton

Mar 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/27/00

BTW the 4.3 was not an option in the S-10 till 1988.

for more S-10 info check out www.s10-4x4.com or www.s-series.org

Tom

SHill34390 (shill...@aol.com) wrote:
: Thanks for the info. I think that I'll have to put a call into GM's hotline

scorpi...@gmail.com

Mar 16, 2020, 6:38:31 PM3/16/20
Please let me know if you find anything out on your situation. I'm trying to do the same thing. I have an 1986 cammed freshly rebuilt ( 26 mi.on it) 2.8L. muffler shop tried to spin mud tires on asphalt and bent tail end of crank. Everything in this engine is brand new except crank,block, & intake. Can't find crank for it. Decided to just swap it out for 3.4L. I want to transfer all my new parts from 2.8L to the short block 3.4L, if I can get correct info on what I can keep mainly (carb intake, heads,& oil pan )it is 4x4. I need to know what model & year 3.4L ( as well as what vehicle they came in) I need to find. I hear your frustrations brother. I love my truck, I just want to be able to drive it again. I don't need to go over 65mph & the heaviest thing I need to tow is a car out of the ditch occasionally & my jet ski to the lake.