Gas mileage for a Ford 460?

Christian L West

Feb 28, 1995, 11:19:58 PM2/28/95
Mike Dasenbrock (151.155.190.65) wrote:
: I have a 1986 Ford F-250 with a 460 I think it has a 2 inch diameter gas
: line. I get between 9 and 11 miles per gallon. Good thing I have dual
: tanks. Is there any way to get better mileage out of a 460 without buying
: a new truck?

Convert to propane.

hollis barnes

Mar 1, 1995, 8:30:59 AM3/1/95
151.155.190.65 (Mike Dasenbrock) writes:

>I have a 1986 Ford F-250 with a 460 I think it has a 2 inch diameter gas
>line. I get between 9 and 11 miles per gallon. Good thing I have dual
>tanks. Is there any way to get better mileage out of a 460 without buying
>a new truck?

I'd like a positive answer to this question also. I have an '88 F350
with 4 speed manual trans with overdrive and a 460. If I get 11 mpg,
I'm happy! Mileage drops to about 8 mpg when I'm pulling my 16' goose-
neck horse trailer with 2 horses in it.

Hollis - another female on the list
hol...@hubcap.clemson.edu

L S Diehr (Lawrence)

Mar 1, 1995, 10:56:20 AM3/1/95
Mike Dasenbrock (151.155.190.65) wrote:
: I have a 1986 Ford F-250 with a 460 I think it has a 2 inch diameter gas

: line. I get between 9 and 11 miles per gallon. Good thing I have dual
: tanks. Is there any way to get better mileage out of a 460 without buying
: a new truck?

I think that IS good gas mileage for a 460 CID engine. :-)

Larry Diehr

haasy

Mar 1, 1995, 7:21:20 PM3/1/95
I would also like to know how to get better fuel milage out of the Ford
trucks. I own a 1985 F-150 Explorer with an in line six(300). I will
only get 13 miles to the gallon tops on the highway. And when I am
driving through town it drops to around 10. I was wondering if anyone
has tried the split-fire spark plugs, yet. I am wondering if they do
actually increase horsepower while decreasing fuel consumption. I was
thinking about trying them. Has anyone tried them?

Mike Dasenbrock

Feb 28, 1995, 7:25:56 PM2/28/95

Kevin J Dudak

Mar 1, 1995, 1:34:30 PM3/1/95
The least expensive way that I know of to increase mileage on a beast like that is to put on a high flow exaust system and headers. I have a friend that did it to his truck, and he not only got better mileeage, but more power.

dak
* E-mail: Da...@Triton.unm.edu | *
* Kevin J. Dudak | *
* (_) *
* Peace through superior firepower o----------=<_._>=----------o *
* ^---^ *
* The Bill of Rights ... it's not just for liberals anymore! *
* All trespassers will be shot... ...all survivors will be shot again *

Len Harold

Mar 2, 1995, 4:09:52 PM3/2/95
Christian L West (wild...@gladstone.uoregon.edu) wrote:

Does anyone have the $ figures for converting old V8s to propane as well as
a comparison of dollars per mile to run propane as opposed to gas?

Len

Gordon Helbert

Mar 8, 1995, 9:10:58 PM3/8/95
Here are some things that helped a bit with my F-150.

Tire pressue. Run up so the tires are hard. Ride may be stiffer.

Oil. Synthetic will help some. I ran Mobile 1 with good results.
Others, Bardall are pure synthetic and may help a bit. This stuff
is more $$$ so this may not result in actual savings. Engine life
will be better though. If there are any leaks around the pan, etc.
they should be fixed. Synthetic likes to run out of the the smallest
gaps.

Tune up. Always. You might also try playing with the timing
setting. Slightly advanced may help MPG. We used the rule to
advance to the point where pinging was just barely noticable, and
then backed off 2 degrees. Reason is some pinging will be present
before its heard. Different types of gas may effect this, as will
the garbage oxygenated fuel they sell in some areas.

Replace the OEM spark plug wires if they are more than 3-4 years
old. I like the aftermarket 9mm kits. NAPA has some good sets.

Quick fix is to clean the carb venruris(SP). They can get a bit
of build up on them. Use laq thinner with a soft brush. This can
give a few percent MPG. Next step is a carb rebuild if things in
there are really gunky.

The 'magic' aftermarket plugs have mixed reports. Some people
swear by them, but they seem to work best in only a few isolated
cases. If the ignition system is in top shape the improvement may
be nil.

Christian L West

Mar 10, 1995, 2:47:42 AM3/10/95
If you guys are going to direct mail reply to postings on the
newsgroup be careful who its going to. n If you reply direct mail to one
of the posted responses then the info goes to the wrong person. I simply
posted one smart ass remark and now I keep getting info on how to improve
gas mileage in my ford. I don't have a ford and to tell you the truth I
would not admit it if I did. Please be careful who you send your "help"
to. By the way, Mr. Dasenbrock, I have no information on propane but I
know that availability is slim and expensive.

Round headlights rule!
ww

On Wed, 8 Mar 1995, Darryl Barnes wrote:

> In article <3j0sle$j...@pith.uoregon.edu> you wrote:
> : Mike Dasenbrock (151.155.190.65) wrote:
> : : I have a 1986 Ford F-250 with a 460 I think it has a 2 inch diameter gas
> : : line. I get between 9 and 11 miles per gallon. Good thing I have dual
> : : tanks. Is there any way to get better mileage out of a 460 without buying
> : : a new truck?
>
> : Convert to propane.
>

> Buy a GMC truck. I'd say the box of your truck is one big gas tank. I
> have a loaded GMC 4x4 with a 305 and I get 22 mph.
>
> dba...@random.ucs.mun.ca
>
> Darryl G.Barnes
> 246 Queen St.
> Stephenville, NF.
> A2N-2P9
> 709-643-9225

kbpol...@gmail.com

Apr 21, 2019, 1:37:36 PM4/21/19
I had a 1976 F150 trailer special with a 460 police interceptor , factory truck
It would get 18 mpg pulling a 24 foot trailer at 55 mph. RPM was 1900 at that speed.