Can't get in: JEEP WRANGLER DOOR LOCKS HEEEELP!!!

Upendra Garbharran

Jan 31, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/31/96
Hi....please reply if you can help.

I can fix this problem with 140$ at the local jeep dealer <70$/door>
but i can't afford this with a university budget :-)

Ok....My jeep 91 Wrangler Renegade has 2 doors <grin>....now this is
the exact problem....

- they can lock from the inside and unlock and open from the inside
fine!

-with the key, i can lock them from the out side!

- BUT MY Driver's side door cannot unlock with the key from the
outside....i looked at the "lactch" move while i turned the key in an
unlocking motion and it seems they key doesnt have the "oooomph" to
yank the "latch" totally to the unlock position and thus allow me to
pull the handle from the outside and open my door.

So in the meantime i either get in through the passenger side door
which works sometimes or at times suffers the same fate as the dirver
door OR i go through the trunk and unlock the doors ala "aerobic
style" :-)

Now from looking through the crack where the window slides downi
think theres like a "wire" that connects to the keyhole and basically
when you turn the key it exerts a force on the wire to unlock the
latch...i believe this wire is not as "taut" and "tight/stiff" as it
could be...how do i open the door panels etc to get where I wanna go
to??

Also i think this may have interfered with my alarm system which
activates upon opening the door <when armed>....do you know if the
alarm system works directly with the latch or has some other way of
detecting if the door is open <ie: if i mess with the door could i
affect the alarm set up??>

Pleez reply via email if possiblE!

Thanx...later!

Chris Rasley

Feb 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/1/96
On Wed, 31 Jan 1996 07:34:47 GMT, upe...@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca (Upendra
Garbharran) wrote in rec.autos.4x4:

>- BUT MY Driver's side door cannot unlock with the key from the
>outside....i looked at the "lactch" move while i turned the key in an
>unlocking motion and it seems they key doesnt have the "oooomph" to
>yank the "latch" totally to the unlock position and thus allow me to
>pull the handle from the outside and open my door.

The problem is with the lever on the back of the keylock itself. It's
quite soft, and will eventually bend so that the key travel isn't enough
to throw the catch. To gain access, simply remove the cardboard and metal
panels on the inside of the door (the window ratchet is held in place with
an Allan bolt, the door handle by some Torx bolts, the cardboard panel by
plastic anchors, and the metal panel by Phillips sheet screws) and cut
away the plastic sheet covering the lock. The rod connecting the keylock
to the inside lock is held in place by a plastic clip. You'll need to
disconnect this rod in order to get enough room to fit a pair of pliers
onto the keylock lever. There's nothing to measure-- just bend the lever
until it looks right, and reattach the connecting rod. Test and
reassemble.... :-)

--
Chris Rasley, Moncton, NB, Canada <cpra...@nbnet.nb.ca>
ATC (Moncton ACC), Private Pilot, Computer Geek, Coffee Addict

Edward Sayre

Feb 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/2/96
Upendra Garbharran (upe...@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca) wrote:
[...]

You just remove the interior carboard panel. this requires you remove
the window crank. Be careful to be gentle on the pannels since you
can pull out the plastic snaps on the carboard. Bend the level on the
key part of the lock to fix, or adjust the wire. which ever works
best.
The alarm system should not be inside the door since you can remove
the doors. The sensor for the alarm is at the door switch. The one that
turns the interior light on when you open it.
Good luck
-Ed

Todd Zimmerman

Feb 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/3/96
Chris Rasley wrote:

> disconnect this rod in order to get enough room to fit a pair of pliers
> onto the keylock lever. There's nothing to measure-- just bend the lever
> until it looks right, and reattach the connecting rod. Test and
> reassemble.... :-)

I have the exact same problem with my driver's door lock on my '93 Wrangler,
and I'm glad there is a solution that doesn't involve a trip to the dealer!
Thanks for posting the trick. I look forward to fixing my door soon.

-Tubes

--
Jesters do often prove prophets.
-William Shakespeare (1564-1616)

bil manderson

Feb 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/6/96
Chris Rasley wrote:

> On Wed, 31 Jan 1996 07:34:47 GMT, upe...@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca (Upendra
> Garbharran) wrote in rec.autos.4x4:
>
> >- BUT MY Driver's side door cannot unlock with the key from the
> >outside....i looked at the "lactch" move while i turned the key in an
> >unlocking motion and it seems they key doesnt have the "oooomph" to
> >yank the "latch" totally to the unlock position and thus allow me to
> >pull the handle from the outside and open my door.
>
> The problem is with the lever on the back of the keylock itself. It's
> quite soft, and will eventually bend so that the key travel isn't enough
> to throw the catch. To gain access, simply remove the cardboard and metal
> panels on the inside of the door (the window ratchet is held in place with
> an Allan bolt, the door handle by some Torx bolts, the cardboard panel by
> plastic anchors, and the metal panel by Phillips sheet screws) and cut
> away the plastic sheet covering the lock. The rod connecting the keylock
> to the inside lock is held in place by a plastic clip. You'll need to
> disconnect this rod in order to get enough room to fit a pair of pliers
> onto the keylock lever. There's nothing to measure-- just bend the lever
> until it looks right, and reattach the connecting rod. Test and
> reassemble.... :-)
>
> --
> Chris Rasley, Moncton, NB, Canada <cpra...@nbnet.nb.ca>
> ATC (Moncton ACC), Private Pilot, Computer Geek, Coffee Addict
> Wheels: '95 Ducati 900SSCR, '91 Jeep Renegade

This is precisely why the net has grown. I too have experienced door locking problems and was perusing the
group and lo and behold, somebody else has been having problems.

I'm experiencing the situation, where the lever that throws the mechanism to release the catch, just slips over
it. Has anybody else seen this.

Also, does anybody know where I can get an aftermarket replacement. I hate going to the dealership for stuff
like this. As i've yet to find a parts guy who knows what he's selling.

Thanks in advance.

Terrance A. Stedman

Feb 7, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/7/96
It's amazing to read about others having the same problem as me!
The lock on my 93 Wrangler's driver-side door rarely works. Most of the
time, turning the key doesn't quite bring the locking button all the way
to the unlocked position. I have broken one key in this lock so far by
trying to unlock it over and over. Of course, the passenger and tailgate
locks work great (it figures). This has driven me crazy since, well, 93!
Thanks to this tip, I might be able to finally fix the thing!
--
I ) I I <~ I_I Terry Stedman
I \ I_I _> I I E-mail: gt...@sunyit.edu Marillion, Rush, +Live+

Chris Rasley

Feb 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/8/96
On Tue, 06 Feb 1996 12:09:11 -0500, bil manderson <bi...@nelvana.com> wrote
in rec.autos.4x4:

>Also, does anybody know where I can get an aftermarket replacement. I hate going to the dealership for stuff
>like this. As i've yet to find a parts guy who knows what he's selling.

I doubt you'll find an aftermarket replacement for something like that,
since it's not something owners have to replace regularly. Your best bet
is to go to a wrecking yard and grab one off of a junker.

Jeepsk8

Feb 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/9/96
Bil, I had the same mechanism problem on my CJ which had the same
paddle-style handles as the Wranglers. If you look under your handle on
the outside, you'll see pin with a cross-sights pattern. This pin wears
down and also starts to pull through the handle housing, and this is what
causes the problem. The only good fix is to replace the handle. I think
they're about $35.00 from the dealer...note that if the window is down
just far enough, it prevents the rod from slipping past. Also, you can
reach the inside lever via the vent window. I used to just leave the vent
window unlocked and reach in to open the door. After you replace the
handle, check the adjustment of your door as it relates to the striker
pin...amount of effort to release the door seems to be related to life
span of the handle.

-Rodney