Chevy Blazer 4x4 to 4x2 conversion???

mrpeabody

Sep 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/4/98
I have a 1976 GMC Jimmy that I would like to convert to a 2 wheel drive
vehicle. Does anyone know what it takes to do this concerning the chassis
changes? I heard that the only thing you have to do is swap the front
cross-member and put the 2 wheel drive suspension on. Is that all?

Thanks,

Don

--
mrpe...@centuryinter.net

Chris Phillipo

Sep 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/4/98
mrpeabody wrote:

> I have a 1976 GMC Jimmy that I would like to convert to a 2 wheel drive
> vehicle. Does anyone know what it takes to do this concerning the chassis
> changes? I heard that the only thing you have to do is swap the front
> cross-member and put the 2 wheel drive suspension on. Is that all?

Sacrilege! :-)

--
__________________________________
Remove "delme" from email address to reply.

DYeager535

Sep 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/4/98
>> I have a 1976 GMC Jimmy that I would like to convert to a 2 wheel drive
>> vehicle. Does anyone know what it takes to do this concerning the chassis
>> changes? I heard that the only thing you have to do is swap the front
>> cross-member and put the 2 wheel drive suspension on. Is that all?

No, that shouldn't be it. The frame is entirely different. The 4wd uses leaf
springs, 2wd doesn't.(along with a-arms, spindles, etc) The mounting holes
MIGHT be there for the a-arms and such, but I doubt it. Since they were more
than likely riveted on from the factory, have fun cutting them all to get the
parts you need off of a 2wd truck.

MDMead

Sep 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/4/98

I agree I doubt this is an easy task. Depending upon what your ultimate goal
is for this truck, you may want to consider an aftermarket front suspension.
Those guys building street rods have everything in kit form these days, and I
bet they have something that could be easily adapted.

Matt
'96 GMC...........

Diane Noble

Sep 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/5/98
mrpeabody wrote:

> I have a 1976 GMC Jimmy that I would like to convert to a 2 wheel drive
> vehicle. Does anyone know what it takes to do this concerning the chassis
> changes? I heard that the only thing you have to do is swap the front
> cross-member and put the 2 wheel drive suspension on. Is that all?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Don
>
> --
> mrpe...@centuryinter.net

Good God have you completely lost your mind!!! Why not sell the 4x4 and
take the cash and buy down to a 4x2

mrpeabody

Sep 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/8/98
The main reason I dont sell the 4x4 and buy a 2 wheel drive is that I can
buy two 4x4's for the same price a 2 wheel drive would cost me. Have you
checked the price on an original 2 wheel drive classic full size blazer or
jimmy lately. As a matter of fact, have you even seen one for sale. If you
see one for around 3k dollars....email me immediately!!!! I will buy it
sight unseen!!!

Don

Philip de Cadenet

Sep 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/10/98
In article <6t3g5o$2ed$1...@newsread1-mx.centuryinter.net>, mrpeabody
<mrpe...@centuryinter.net> writes
Don,
I wish you lived here in the UK as I've just picked up an original 80
Blazer 2WD for the equivalent of 500 bucks.
But boy, is it in a sad state, someone's gone and shoehorned a chrysler
360 and auto box in the rascal, and the body's not to hot either.
I'm now thinking is it worth restoring?
My intention was to source a 6.2 or 6.5 GM diesel and install that. I'm
afraid I'm an oil burning freak and what with the cost of gas here,
you'd be to.

Phil / UK

kbra...@gmail.com

Jul 11, 2019, 3:22:56 PM7/11/19
I just bought a 1974 full top removal K5 what i thouhgt about doing is putting k5 body on truck frame and making the short bed truck a 4×4 if anyone know if that will work any info would help

DELETEKITS DEF

Jan 21, 2021, 2:19:56 AM1/21/21
Vào lúc 02:22:56 UTC+7 ngày Thứ Sáu, 12 tháng 7, 2019, kbra...@gmail.com đã viết:
> I just bought a 1974 full top removal K5 what i thouhgt about doing is putting k5 body on truck frame and making the short bed truck a 4×4 if anyone know if that will work any info would help
Which Truck Bed Size is Right for You?
It really depends on how you plan to use your truck. If you do light hauling but mostly use it as a daily driver, you might benefit most from choosing a mid-sized pickup with a 5- or 6-FT box. If you need something a little more demanding, a full-sized truck with a 5.5- 6.5- or 8-FT bed might be best. If you frequently find yourself hauling a massive load, and need the extra payload capacity, you might consider an HD with either 6.5- or 8-FT of storage.