audio switch

Overdog

Sep 3, 2004, 3:27:19 AM9/3/04
Hi all,

I like to use both headphones and speakers on my computer.
Since there is only one audio out, I spend a lot of time fiddling
around at the back of the computer, plugging and unplugging things.
Also there is a lot of wear and tear on the cables from being plugged
and unplugged. I mostly use 1/8th inch headphone jacks.

When I switch to headphones, I have to turn the sound on the computer
down as low as it can possibly go before it is acceptable. My
headphones are fairly good, but they don't feature any kind of
external volume control. (To the best of my knowledge, an external
volume control is just a potentiometer in series with the speaker. But
nobody seems to sell this.)

My question is, is there some way for me to electronically switch
between speakers and headphones without paying for a full-blown mixer?
I don't need an equalizer or anything like that, just something that
would let me choose between channel A and channel B, for example. If
it had volume settings for both channels, that would be ideal.

- Overdog