Tube amps for B&W 801?

N C Ong

Sep 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/25/98
I am currently using a solid state power amp to drive my B&W 801s3
speakers. I was wondering if anybody has used tube power amps to drive
them and if so, what was the effect?

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

nicolas

Tatalits

Sep 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/25/98

I used to own the 801's back in the 80's I drove them with a Beard P100A amp
(100 wpc), along with the P500 preamp (all tube units). I bought them all from
England when I was there on vacation. I've since sold the B&W's and have since
used speakers by Magnepan, Thiel, and Unity Audio. I'm selling theBeard amp
(orig $2600.) and preamp (orig $1400.) for $1600.both. I can tell you more
details if you're truly interested.

Thanks! Frank

Cameron

Sep 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/25/98
I also used to own 801s, usually driven by some SS amps I
built. Before I owned Quad 11s I borrowed a pair, and was
totally surprised how good they were with 801s, right down
to the bass reproduction.

I really like the Quad 11s (particularly on the ESLs I now
have) but they are not unique in their ability to drive the
801s very well. Personally I'd be inclined to look for a
slightly higher power output, but then I haven't tried other
options.

Regards,

Cameron

William Boyd

Sep 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/25/98
to nico...@2001netvigator.com
My B&Ws are DM7 mkIIs - use the same tweeter and similar xover to the 801,
but an 8" kevlar woofer with passive radiator - has a very similar sound
with a little less dynamic range. I regularly use tube amps now after
years of SS amps (Crown DC300A, Hafler 500, B&K ST202+, Denon pma730,
etc.). They like at least 35-40 watts per channel but still sound great
with little EL84 amps (Pilot SA232, etc.) I like the Eico HF30, Dyna ST70
(pretty extensively modded a la Kevin Kennedy's web page) and they sound
really good also with integrateds (Scott 299C, Fisher KX200, Sherwood
S5500 and S8000). I'm building a pair of PPP Ultralinear EL34 monoblocs
using Sowter trannys with 6SN7driver-inverters. I expect your speakers
will need at least the 35-40 watts I like - my speakers have a rated sens
of 86 dB/Watt/Meter. The B&W sound is extremely wellcomplimented by tube
amps in general IMO.

Bill Boyd

AMitch9448

Sep 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/25/98

I had 801's for a short time [I was talked into buying them for very short
money, then flipped them for a suprisingly small profit, no one wanted them]
My experience , limited as it was, is that these speakers are best driven with
solid state electronics. Preferably an amplifier with the capability to provide
a fair amount of power [100 watts up] and current.
The 801 and its equalizer seem to present
a pretty tough load for tube amps to handle, although admittedly I only used 2,
a Marantz8b being the most successful.
Al Mitchell
NYC

fs...@televar.com

Sep 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/25/98
In article <360B14...@netvigator.com>,

nico...@2001netvigator.com wrote:
> I am currently using a solid state power amp to drive my B&W 801s3
> speakers. I was wondering if anybody has used tube power amps to drive
> them and if so, what was the effect?

I am currently using Quicksilver M135 tube amps to drive my 801's and I love
the combination. I have also used my Manley 100/200 watt monoblock in triode
mode (100w) to drive the 801's with great results. I like the sound of the
Quicksilvers just a bit better than the Manleys so they are my primary amps.
I am selling the Manleys (can't afford to keep both sets of amps) if you are
interested.

FF

bean_c...@my-dejanews.com

Sep 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/26/98
Nicolas,

I have a pair of B&W Matrix III (floor-standing) speakers, the immediate
predecessors to the 800 series (which in part was based on the original
Matrix design). While not nearly as nice as 801's, they share similar sound
characteristics; the original owner traded up to 801's and that's how I got
'em. In spite of being a closed box design, mine are rated at 90dB; they
seem to be a bit more difficult to drive than the "numbers" would indicate.

I'm a tube "newbie", and have recently begun my 1st tube "project", a pair of
Dynaco MkII amps. I have only one operating; I've done an A/B comparison
with my SS amp, swapping channels, and there is a world of difference to the
sound - especially mids. Vocals, sax, and big band sound incredible, even
with the modestly modified Dynaco (improved coupling caps). The Dyna MkII
runs EL34's in push-pull, but can run 6550/KT88's (like MkIII's) with a
change of bias. I'm considering upgrading to the KT88's, for more power on
larger orchestral works. The B&W's seem to like more power.

Hope that helps; let me know how you come out, and good luck!

Kevin McDonald

In article <360B14...@netvigator.com>,
nico...@2001netvigator.com wrote:
> I am currently using a solid state power amp to drive my B&W 801s3
> speakers. I was wondering if anybody has used tube power amps to drive
> them and if so, what was the effect?
>

> Thanks in advance for your opinions.
>
> nicolas

N C Ong

Sep 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/27/98
bean_c...@my-dejanews.com wrote:

> Nicolas,
>
> I have a pair of B&W Matrix III (floor-standing) speakers, the immediate
> predecessors to the 800 series (which in part was based on the original
> Matrix design). While not nearly as nice as 801's, they share similar sound
> characteristics; the original owner traded up to 801's and that's how I got
> 'em. In spite of being a closed box design, mine are rated at 90dB; they
> seem to be a bit more difficult to drive than the "numbers" would indicate.
>
> I'm a tube "newbie", and have recently begun my 1st tube "project", a pair of
> Dynaco MkII amps. I have only one operating; I've done an A/B comparison
> with my SS amp, swapping channels, and there is a world of difference to the
> sound - especially mids. Vocals, sax, and big band sound incredible, even
> with the modestly modified Dynaco (improved coupling caps). The Dyna MkII
> runs EL34's in push-pull, but can run 6550/KT88's (like MkIII's) with a
> change of bias. I'm considering upgrading to the KT88's, for more power on
> larger orchestral works. The B&W's seem to like more power.
>
> Hope that helps; let me know how you come out, and good luck!
>
> Kevin McDonald

Thanks to all who have responded to my initial query. Actually I already
have my eyes on a used Music Reference RM-9 which costs the equivalent
of USD1,100 here in Hong Kong. You have now helped confirmed my belief
that the B&W 801 speakers can be driven by (high powered) tube amps to
good effect.

Nicolas