how good are these speakers?

t1000

Sep 19, 2002, 1:46:58 AM9/19/02
I have a pair of old technics SB-2070 speakers whose woofer foam surrounds
have perished, now I am wondering whether to replace the woofers, repair the
foam surrounds which may not be feasible for me or buy complete new
speakers. Now I bought these speakers about 7 years ago secondhand and don't
really know how good they are and what sort of money I would need to spend
on current new speakers to get something as good. Anybody have any
experience with these speakers.
I am running a pioneer a-717 amplifier with 120watts per channel output into
8 ohms although I rarely have the volume as high as 1/2 way.

Geoff Wood

Sep 20, 2002, 1:58:01 AM9/20/02

"t1000" <t1...@cyber.future> wrote in message

Probably never great sound even when new. For the cost of replacement
drivers, you'd be better off going to Cash Converters, or a 'used' hi-fi
shop (such as WT Audio in Lower Hutt) and replacing them with 'new'
speakers. Or buying brand new good quality speakers.

geoff

t1000

Sep 19, 2002, 2:09:05 AM9/19/02

"Geoff Wood" <ge...@paf.co.nz-nospam> wrote in message
Thought they might have been not too bad since the era that these come from
I thought was populated with better quality speakers generally. So what
would you suggest as a good replacement set of speakers, obviously if I buy
secondhand I could just end up with the same foam rot problem again.

You_Know_Who ~

Sep 19, 2002, 9:21:16 PM9/19/02
I agree that era had good speakers, but the Technics were good, not very good,
certainly not excellent.

--

You_know_who~
Computer help, software, cat stuff & Purgatory Chasm

kyser

Sep 19, 2002, 10:21:26 PM9/19/02
"You_Know_Who ~" <you_kn...@att.net> wrote in message

> I agree that era had good speakers, but the Technics were good, not very
good,
> certainly not excellent.

Actually, they were pretty ordinary. Look for something better (eg old
Advents, provided their woofers don't have rotted surrounds like the
Technics).

t1000

Sep 20, 2002, 12:45:39 AM9/20/02

"kyser" <kys...@kyser.com> wrote in message
So where would these speakers fit into the grand scheme of things in today's
speakers, how much money or model/brand of speaker would equal this, I ask
this because I intend to replace them at some stage and have no idea what I
will need to spend to get something better, would be annoyed if I went and
bought some new speakers and found them to be no better than my current
ones.

Geoff Wood

Sep 20, 2002, 1:43:25 AM9/20/02

"t1000" <t1...@cyber.future> wrote in message news:3d8a...@clear.net.nz...

> So where would these speakers fit into the grand scheme of things in
today's
> speakers, how much money or model/brand of speaker would equal this, I ask
> this because I intend to replace them at some stage and have no idea what
> will need to spend to get something better, would be annoyed if I went and
> bought some new speakers and found them to be no better than my current
> ones.

They fit pretty low in the hierarchy of even plain domestic hi-fi speakers.
Really not worth any effort or cost at all.

geoff

t1000

Sep 20, 2002, 3:11:14 AM9/20/02

"Geoff Wood" <ge...@paf.co.nz-nospam> wrote in message
I didn't think they were anything other than plain domestic hifi speakers
but still that's all I will ever have by some peoples standards, I would
never go for anything more costly than say monitor audio bronze speakers so
if you are coming from the perspective of someone who spends thousands on
speakers then we are not on the same wavelength. So I would still like to
know where they rank amongst today's speakers, I don't expect you to answer
that though for if I guess right you don't have much experience with
speakers at this end of the market, nor care, which is fair enough, totally
understand. I am in a similar situation with minisystems, don't know squat
about these and don't want to.

Geoff Wood

Sep 20, 2002, 6:09:30 AM9/20/02

"t1000" <t1...@cyber.future> wrote in message news:3d8a...@clear.net.nz...

> I didn't think they were anything other than plain domestic hifi speakers
> but still that's all I will ever have by some peoples standards, I would
> never go for anything more costly than say monitor audio bronze speakers
so
> if you are coming from the perspective of someone who spends thousands on
> speakers then we are not on the same wavelength. So I would still like to
> know where they rank amongst today's speakers, I don't expect you to
answer
> that though for if I guess right you don't have much experience with
> speakers at this end of the market, nor care, which is fair enough,
totally
> understand. I am in a similar situation with minisystems, don't know squat
> about these and don't want to.

No, I am coming from where you are coming from. They were never more than
mediocre speakers. For a few hundred bucks you should be able to pick up
some gems of quality speakers from a 'used hifi' shop. For the price of
your proposed replacement woofers, you could probably pick up something
better than they ever were.

geoff

Kalman Rubinson

Sep 20, 2002, 9:16:50 AM9/20/02
On Fri, 20 Sep 2002 07:11:14 GMT, "t1000" <t1...@cyber.future> wrote:

>I didn't think they were anything other than plain domestic hifi speakers
>but still that's all I will ever have by some peoples standards, I would
>never go for anything more costly than say monitor audio bronze speakers

They aren't anywhere as good as the MA.

>so if you are coming from the perspective of someone who spends thousands on
>speakers then we are not on the same wavelength. So I would still like to
>know where they rank amongst today's speakers, I don't expect you to answer
>that though for if I guess right you don't have much experience with
>speakers at this end of the market, nor care, which is fair enough, totally
>understand. I am in a similar situation with minisystems, don't know squat
>about these and don't want to.

They are in the class with the <$200/pr speakers offered by the big
box stores like Circuit City and BestBuy. Low end audio. Nothing
special.

Kal

WindsorFox {SS}

Sep 20, 2002, 12:57:42 PM9/20/02

www.partsexpress.com www.mcmelectronics.com
you can get repair kits especially made for Advent.

--

"The frozen North will hatch a flightless bird, who will spread his
wings and dominate the Earth. He will cause an empire by the sea to

I like cows, but it's ok that people eat them.
They are stupid. If cows were smart they would get
together and have everyone crap in the same spot.
After a while they would be able to walk up the crap pile,
over the fence and on to freedom. - ARIZONA

t1000

Sep 20, 2002, 6:49:07 PM9/20/02

"Kalman Rubinson" <k...@nyu.edu> wrote in message
Cool that is what I wanted to know, thanks a lot, I am presuming you are
talking US dollars.

t1000

Sep 20, 2002, 6:49:07 PM9/20/02

"Geoff Wood" <ge...@paf.co.nz-nospam> wrote in message
I do not intend to replace the woofers now, if I do anything it will be to
get the foam surrounds repaired professionally, as long as the cost is less
than what I can get for the speakers when I sell them. I intend to buy new
speakers in the not to distant future. When you say a few hundred bucks are
you talking NZ dollars?

Geoff Wood

Sep 20, 2002, 8:45:13 PM9/20/02

> I do not intend to replace the woofers now, if I do anything it will be to
> get the foam surrounds repaired professionally, as long as the cost is
less
> than what I can get for the speakers when I sell them. I intend to buy new
> speakers in the not to distant future. When you say a few hundred bucks
are
> you talking NZ dollars?

Whatever dollars - it's was a ballpark figure. I saw some B+W DM4 (?) in
Trade and Exchange for NZ$250 the other week.

Getting foam surrounds 'professionally repaired" would be likely to cost
more than that, or replacement woofers.. A pair of similar diameter
replaceent woofers would cost nearly that much, and not be original
(therefore technically - Technicsly ?- invalid). Try Dick Smith.

Wjere are you ?

geoff

jeff...@gmail.com

Jul 31, 2019, 10:47:53 PM7/31/19
I would advice to to buy the surround foam in an electronic part store which would not be very expensive and see I. YouTube video how to fix it. In local store you can get the surrounds for less than 10 bucks and buy a adhesive cement tube in dollar store.
I have done it several times and it's the best solution. You won't regret
Trust me.

thekma...@gmail.com

Aug 3, 2019, 10:15:13 PM8/3/19
Knock on the cabinets, sides and back. Do they knock back?

If they're actually solid, the drivers can be re-surrounded if
you're handy.