Audio file chopper wanted

Don Pearce

Aug 24, 2021, 6:57:08 AM8/24/21
I like to listen to audio books during long car journeys, but my MP3
player refuses to play long files. An audio book is typically two to
three hours long. At the moment I am laboriously editing the files
into pieces, but there has to be a better way - many people must have
wanted to do this.
So I need some software that will take a large MP3, chop it into - say
- five minute segments, then save them sequentially as 01.MP3, 02.MP3
etc which my car player can make sense of and play them out in the
right order.
Does anyone know of such an app? A batch script for Adobe Audition
would, I suppose be an alternative, but I have no idea how that would
work either.

MiNe109

Aug 24, 2021, 10:33:03 AM8/24/21
On 8/24/21 5:57 AM, Don Pearce wrote:
> I like to listen to audio books during long car journeys, but my MP3
> player refuses to play long files. An audio book is typically two to
> three hours long. At the moment I am laboriously editing the files
> into pieces, but there has to be a better way - many people must have
> wanted to do this.
> So I need some software that will take a large MP3, chop it into - say
> - five minute segments, then save them sequentially as 01.MP3, 02.MP3
> etc which my car player can make sense of and play them out in the
> right order.
> Does anyone know of such an app? A batch script for Adobe Audition
> would, I suppose be an alternative, but I have no idea how that would
> work either.

The Adobe blog has an article about a "hidden" feature:

https://blog.adobe.com/en/publish/2010/06/04/using_audition_to_save_section.html#gs.954xlw

You still have to add your own markers.

Don Pearce

Aug 24, 2021, 10:39:22 AM8/24/21
On Tue, 24 Aug 2021 09:32:57 -0500, MiNe109 <pianof...@yahoo.com>
wrote:
Thanks. I wasn't aware of this, but it doesn't seem to add anything to
my current method of selecting five minutes, hitting "Save Selection
As" to get my sequential file number, then deleting the selection from
the original. Rinse and repeat to end. That is the process I would
like to automate.

MiNe109

Aug 24, 2021, 11:04:40 AM8/24/21
Have you tried the "Silence Finder" to create label/split points? After
the split, maybe the export function will create default names for the
tracks.

My experience is limited to trying to create tracks for album-length
files which I did without knowing about the silence finder.

Tobiah

Aug 24, 2021, 12:05:26 PM8/24/21

> So I need some software that will take a large MP3, chop it into - say
> - five minute segments, then save them sequentially as 01.MP3, 02.MP3
> etc which my car player can make sense of and play them out in the
> right order.

This looks like it will do it (windows):

https://www.nch.com.au/splitter/index.html

apparently sox can do this on the command line,
(Windows, Linux, Max) which is going to be the
best in the end.

http://sox.sourceforge.net/

From the manual:

The following is an example of multiple effects chains. It will split the input file into multiple files of 30 seconds in length. Each output filename will have unique number in its
name as documented in the Output Files section.
sox infile.wav output.wav trim 0 30 : newfile : restart

Scott Dorsey

Aug 24, 2021, 1:06:29 PM8/24/21
Don Pearce <sp...@spam.com> wrote:
>I like to listen to audio books during long car journeys, but my MP3
>player refuses to play long files. An audio book is typically two to
>three hours long. At the moment I am laboriously editing the files
>into pieces, but there has to be a better way - many people must have
>wanted to do this.
>So I need some software that will take a large MP3, chop it into - say
>- five minute segments, then save them sequentially as 01.MP3, 02.MP3
>etc which my car player can make sense of and play them out in the
>right order.
>Does anyone know of such an app? A batch script for Adobe Audition
>would, I suppose be an alternative, but I have no idea how that would
>work either.

What you want is called an MP3 Cutter. There are a bunch out there.
The idea here is that you don't want to decode and re-encode the mp3
file... you just want to find the nearest frame boundary and cut there.
This is no good for precise edits but you don't need precise edits,
you just want simple cutting.
--scott

Don Pearce

Aug 24, 2021, 2:09:57 PM8/24/21
Splitter was the charm. Thank you

Rasta Robert

Aug 30, 2021, 7:08:05 AM8/30/21
On 2021-08-24, Don Pearce <sp...@spam.com> wrote:
> I like to listen to audio books during long car journeys, but my MP3
> player refuses to play long files. An audio book is typically two to
> three hours long. At the moment I am laboriously editing the files
> into pieces, but there has to be a better way - many people must have
> wanted to do this.
> So I need some software that will take a large MP3, chop it into - say
> - five minute segments, then save them sequentially as 01.MP3, 02.MP3
> etc which my car player can make sense of and play them out in the
> right order.
> Does anyone know of such an app? A batch script for Adobe Audition
> would, I suppose be an alternative, but I have no idea how that would
> work either.

MP3DirectCut
Lossless MP3 editor that can do what you want: http://mpesch3.de/
it doesn't decode and reencode your MP3 files, all the software
that does have to decode and reencode will cause quality
degradation.

Rasta Robert

Sep 7, 2021, 2:30:05 PM9/7/21
On 2021-08-24, Don Pearce <sp...@spam.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Aug 2021 09:05:18 -0700, Tobiah <to...@tobiah.org> wrote:
>

>>> So I need some software that will take a large MP3, chop it into - say
>>> - five minute segments, then save them sequentially as 01.MP3, 02.MP3
>>> etc which my car player can make sense of and play them out in the
>>> right order.
>>
>>This looks like it will do it (windows):
>>
>>https://www.nch.com.au/splitter/index.html
>>
> Splitter was the charm. Thank you

If you don't mind some loss of quality though decoding
en re-encoding you can use that, but for Windows (and Android)
Mp3DirectCut appears to be the only free direct MP3/AAC editor
that cause no quality loss whatsoever because it does not
decode and re-encode you files.

Don Pearce

Sep 7, 2021, 2:53:51 PM9/7/21
On 07 Sep 2021 18:24:19 GMT, Rasta Robert
Thanks, but quality loss is really not an issue. These things are not
great before I even start, and they are only speech to be heard in a
car - not the most discerning environment.