The Harman Target Curve for headphones

Les Cargill

Oct 22, 2021, 7:20:16 PM10/22/21

I recently bought a new set of phones. Audio-Technica ATH-M40x.

They're a bit shrill. It's been too long since I heard Sony MDR-7605
but like that. I pretty much top out around 10k now, but it's still a
thing.

Turns out, this is by design.

There is a thing now called the "Harman Curve". Yes, *that* Harman.

https://audiosolace.com/harman-target-curve-explained/

It includes about *10db* of 2nd-4th order boost at what looks like about
2k and 3-8 or so db at 20Hz.

And it's purely survey-oriented subjective. From the link:

"The research involved extensive blind testing on various individuals
trying out different headphones.

Based on what they liked and disliked, researchers found and defined the
*most universally liked* sound signature."

https://headphonesaddict.com/harman-curve/

Ouch.

--
Les Cargill