RIP Chuck Berry

Neil

Mar 18, 2017, 6:30:45 PM3/18/17

Nil

Mar 18, 2017, 6:50:29 PM3/18/17
On 18 Mar 2017, Neil <ne...@myplaceofwork.com> wrote in alt.guitar:

> <https://twitter.com/cnnbrk?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor>

Aw, shit. I know he hasn't been doing well lately and it had to
happen eventually, but aw, shit.

I worked up "Rock and Roll Music" recently for a show I'll be
playing in. This will give it extra meaning and I'll be sure to
play it like I'm ringin' a bell.

jtees4

Mar 18, 2017, 7:12:18 PM3/18/17
On Sat, 18 Mar 2017 18:30:43 -0400, Neil <ne...@myplaceofwork.com>
wrote:

><https://twitter.com/cnnbrk?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor>

He influenced every musician and guitarist I have ever liked, they all
talk about his influence. RIP Chuck.

%

Mar 18, 2017, 7:31:34 PM3/18/17
he taught me well i remember in my early playing days ,
i even tried going down to the railroad tracks in hopes ,
it would make me be a better player

jjaj...@netscape.net

Mar 20, 2017, 2:39:44 PM3/20/17
By how much %? :-)

Jack

geoff

Mar 20, 2017, 5:46:05 PM3/20/17
Though it seems he was a bit less than nice in the personal and
business areas :

http://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/music/90624302/chuck-berry-he-was-a-pretty-nasty-man

geoff

%

Mar 20, 2017, 6:08:57 PM3/20/17
he didn't like auzzies , i can see that

Pudentame

Mar 20, 2017, 7:34:50 PM3/20/17
On Tue, 21 Mar 2017 10:45:58 +1300, geoff <ge...@nospampaf.co.nz>
wrote:
That's not the worst of his transgressions.

He was convicted of armed robbery at age 18 and spent three years in a
Missouri reformatory.

His signature guitar licks were lifted from other players - the intro
to Johnny B. Goode came from Louis Jordan's "Ain't That Just Like A
Woman" - a fact the conveniently forgot when he sued the Beach Boys
for plagarism.

http://www.songfacts.com/detail.php?id=12121

In 2000, his former pianist, Johnnie Johnson, sued Berry for song
writing credit for many of Berry's early Chess Record hits.

He also had stints in prison for statuatory rape and tax evasion.

In 1990 Berry was for installing a video camera in the ladies bathroom
of his night club, The Southern Air Restaurant, secretly recording the
women using it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_Air_Restaurant

A Guy Called Tyketto

Mar 21, 2017, 3:20:38 AM3/21/17
In alt.guitar Pudentame <no....@no.where.invalid> wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Mar 2017 10:45:58 +1300, geoff <ge...@nospampaf.co.nz>
> wrote:
>
> That's not the worst of his transgressions.
>
> He was convicted of armed robbery at age 18 and spent three years in a
> Missouri reformatory.
>
> His signature guitar licks were lifted from other players - the intro
> to Johnny B. Goode came from Louis Jordan's "Ain't That Just Like A
> Woman" - a fact the conveniently forgot when he sued the Beach Boys
> for plagarism.
>
> http://www.songfacts.com/detail.php?id=12121
>
> In 2000, his former pianist, Johnnie Johnson, sued Berry for song
> writing credit for many of Berry's early Chess Record hits.

Wasn't it Chuck Berry who sued John Lennon and the rest of the
Beatles for copyright infringement for the lyric of "here come old Flat
Top" in Come Together?

Or was that just an urban myth?

BL.
--
Brad Littlejohn | Email: tyk...@sbcglobal.net
Unix Systems Administrator, | tyk...@ozemail.com.au

None

Mar 21, 2017, 7:53:28 AM3/21/17
"A Guy Called Tyketto" <tyk...@sbcglobal.net.invalid> wrote in
message news:oaqk2j$57p$1...@dont-email.me...
> Wasn't it Chuck Berry who sued John Lennon and the rest of the
> Beatles for copyright infringement for the lyric of "here come old
> Flat
> Top" in Come Together?

Big Seven, Inc., owner of the copyright to Chuck Berry's "You Can't
Catch Me", sued MacLen Music, Northern Songs, and Apple Records. They
settled out of court; Lennon agreed to cover some other Big Seven
songs on his "Rock 'n' Roll" album. Later, Big Seven sued Lennon, and
Lennon countersued. Cash settlements were awarded. No myth.

Scott Dorsey

Mar 21, 2017, 9:28:14 AM3/21/17
A long, long, time ago, back when the transition from 16 to 24 track tape was
rapidly taking place in the industry, I worked on recording a live album that
featured Mr. Berry.

Now, not to give you the impression that I was any expert here, there was a
concert producer, an album producer. Under the album producer was the engineer
from the label and his assistant. Working for those guys was the recording
truck engineer (whom you can think of as the "house guy" for the truck) and
his assistant engineer. Then there was a truck driver and a kid that made
coffee and I was the kid that made coffee.

They were recording Chuck's guitar to a track that was close to an edge
track, maybe 2 or 23, and I had always been told never to put anything
important near the edge of the tape so I asked why they were doing this.

They had taken a DI from Chuck's guitar and took that as a feed. Then back
in the studio, they would play back the DI signal through a repeat coil into
a guitar amp, mike the guitar amp, and record that to tape. Since they didn't
want any delay, the playback was done in sel-sync mode so they had to have
the original and reamped track as far apart on the tape as possible to prevent
feedback from crosstalk.

This was being done in place of miking the amp (well, they did mike the amp
as a safety) because Mr. Berry was noted for constantly fiddling with his amp
levels over the course of the concert, usually turning it up but sometimes
turning it down, and so not only were the levels not constant but because
the guitar amp tone changes with level (that's what the electric guitar is
all about, isn't it?), the tone also changed.

So, they had come up with this weird workaround in order to record a constant
level signal and then run it through the amplifier after the fact. As far as
I know, this was the first invention of reamping because I never heard of
anyone doing it for another 20 years after this.

What was Berry like? I have no idea, I didn't even see the concerts. I was
locked in the truck.
--scott

polymod

Mar 21, 2017, 11:45:15 AM3/21/17

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message news:oar9pc$76j$1...@panix2.panix.com...
What a great story!
Thanks for sharing.

Poly

---

Tim Sprout

Mar 21, 2017, 12:16:41 PM3/21/17
Interesting. So someone was riding the gain on the reamp amp?

Tim Sprout

Nil

Mar 21, 2017, 1:14:50 PM3/21/17
On 21 Mar 2017, klu...@panix.com (Scott Dorsey) wrote in
rec.audio.pro:

> This was being done in place of miking the amp (well, they did
> mike the amp as a safety) because Mr. Berry was noted for
> constantly fiddling with his amp levels over the course of the
> concert, usually turning it up but sometimes turning it down, and
> so not only were the levels not constant but because the guitar
> amp tone changes with level (that's what the electric guitar is
> all about, isn't it?), the tone also changed.

If you haven't seen the movie, "Hail Hail Rock and Roll", you should
check it out. It's a fun concert/documentary movie about Chuck,
featuring an ace all-star band led by Keith Richards. Chuck is an
ornery cuss throughout, as we would expect. Anyway, at one point, Keith
reaches over and tweaks the knobs on Chuck's amp, and Chuck has a major
hissy-fit. Keith tries to argue that they just want the best sound for
the movie, but Chuck isn't having any of it. So they come up with a
secret workaround: without telling Chuck about it, they split the
output from his guitar and run it into a second amp in the basement,
which they then used for the PA and film soundtrack. Chuck could fiddle
with his amp all he wanted, but it only affected the stage sound. Keith
was right, of course, but Chuck was not willing to give up control, no
matter what the cost.

geoff

Mar 21, 2017, 3:09:53 PM3/21/17
Just as well Keith didn't touch Chuck's guitar !

geoff

jtees4

Mar 22, 2017, 10:11:29 AM3/22/17
Cool story. I would gladly had volunteered to make coffee for them if
I had the chance.

Pudentame

Mar 22, 2017, 2:07:05 PM3/22/17
On Tue, 21 Mar 2017 07:17:39 -0000 (UTC), A Guy Called Tyketto
<tyk...@sbcglobal.net.invalid> wrote:

>In alt.guitar Pudentame <no....@no.where.invalid> wrote:
>> On Tue, 21 Mar 2017 10:45:58 +1300, geoff <ge...@nospampaf.co.nz>
>> wrote:
>>
>> That's not the worst of his transgressions.
>>
>> He was convicted of armed robbery at age 18 and spent three years in a
>> Missouri reformatory.
>>
>> His signature guitar licks were lifted from other players - the intro
>> to Johnny B. Goode came from Louis Jordan's "Ain't That Just Like A
>> Woman" - a fact the conveniently forgot when he sued the Beach Boys
>> for plagarism.
>>
>> http://www.songfacts.com/detail.php?id=12121
>>
>> In 2000, his former pianist, Johnnie Johnson, sued Berry for song
>> writing credit for many of Berry's early Chess Record hits.
>>

> Wasn't it Chuck Berry who sued John Lennon and the rest of the
>Beatles for copyright infringement for the lyric of "here come old Flat
>Top" in Come Together?
>
> Or was that just an urban myth?
>
> BL.

I don't know. I know Berry sued the Beachboys over the intro lick for
Surfin' U.S.A.

Pudentame

Mar 22, 2017, 2:11:19 PM3/22/17
On 21 Mar 2017 09:28:12 -0400, klu...@panix.com (Scott Dorsey) wrote:

Yeah, but was the coffee any good?

geoff

Mar 22, 2017, 2:57:49 PM3/22/17
On 23/03/2017 7:11 AM, Pudentame wrote:
> On 21 Mar 2017 09:28:12 -0400, klu...@panix.com (Scott Dorsey) wrote:
>
>> A long, long, time ago, back when the transition from 16 to 24 track tape was
>> rapidly taking place in the industry, I worked on recording a live album that
>> featured Mr. Berry.
>>
>> Now, not to give you the impression that I was any expert here, there was a
>> concert producer, an album producer. Under the album producer was the engineer
>>from the label and his assistant. Working for those guys was the recording
>> truck engineer (whom you can think of as the "house guy" for the truck) and
>> his assistant engineer. Then there was a truck driver and a kid that made
>> coffee and I was the kid that made coffee.
>>

> Yeah, but was the coffee any good?

If not, Scott may have lost some teeth ;-0

geoff

Nil

Mar 22, 2017, 3:04:09 PM3/22/17
On 22 Mar 2017, Pudentame <no....@no.where.invalid> wrote in
rec.audio.pro:

> On Tue, 21 Mar 2017 07:17:39 -0000 (UTC), A Guy Called Tyketto
><tyk...@sbcglobal.net.invalid> wrote:
>>
>> Wasn't it Chuck Berry who sued John Lennon and the rest of
>> the Beatles for copyright infringement for the lyric of "here come
>> old Flat Top" in Come Together?

> I don't know. I know Berry sued the Beachboys over the intro lick
> for Surfin' U.S.A.

I guess the Beach Boys case was sort-of appropriate (if a little mean),
since it was pretty much a note-for-note copy. But the Beatles suit was
uncalled for, IMO. The lyric-in-question was not the same, nor was the
"melody" the same. It was obviously an homage, but it does not seem to
me to be plagiarized.

It's also ironic that, when a couple of days ago I was listening to
"The Great Twenty-Eight", and I noticed a line in one of Chuck's songs
that was clearly lifted from some old Jerome Kern (or other composer of
that era) standard. I assume nobody called Chuck out in court over
that.

jtees4

Mar 22, 2017, 6:54:28 PM3/22/17
I'm a songwriter, and the truth is...we all do it. Not always
consciensly though. A funny thing that happened to me was, I wrote a
song and purprosely did it in the Bo Diddly style....just that
rhythm...nothing stolen at all. Someone accused me of stealing The
Rolling Stones, "Not fade Away". I told them they really should check
out the original version by Buddy Holly before they accuse me of
anything. they had no clue.

jtees4

Mar 22, 2017, 8:31:54 PM3/22/17

Scott Dorsey

Mar 23, 2017, 9:40:28 AM3/23/17
It was bad enough they moved me to maintenance, which was the best thing
that ever happened to me.

Pudentame

Mar 23, 2017, 12:07:41 PM3/23/17
On Wed, 22 Mar 2017 15:04:07 -0400, Nil
<redn...@REMOVETHIScomcast.net> wrote:

>On 22 Mar 2017, Pudentame <no....@no.where.invalid> wrote in
>rec.audio.pro:
>
>> On Tue, 21 Mar 2017 07:17:39 -0000 (UTC), A Guy Called Tyketto
>><tyk...@sbcglobal.net.invalid> wrote:
>>>
>>> Wasn't it Chuck Berry who sued John Lennon and the rest of
>>> the Beatles for copyright infringement for the lyric of "here come
>>> old Flat Top" in Come Together?
>
>> I don't know. I know Berry sued the Beachboys over the intro lick
>> for Surfin' U.S.A.
>
>I guess the Beach Boys case was sort-of appropriate (if a little mean),
>since it was pretty much a note-for-note copy. But the Beatles suit was
>uncalled for, IMO. The lyric-in-question was not the same, nor was the
>"melody" the same. It was obviously an homage, but it does not seem to
>me to be plagiarized.

Especially so since if it was plagerized, it wan't plagerized from
Chuck Berry.

Neil

Mar 23, 2017, 1:01:28 PM3/23/17
On 3/23/2017 12:07 PM, Pudentame wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Mar 2017 15:04:07 -0400, Nil
> <redn...@REMOVETHIScomcast.net> wrote:
>
>> On 22 Mar 2017, Pudentame <no....@no.where.invalid> wrote in
>> rec.audio.pro:

>>> I don't know. I know Berry sued the Beachboys over the intro lick
>>> for Surfin' U.S.A.
>>
>> I guess the Beach Boys case was sort-of appropriate (if a little mean),
>> since it was pretty much a note-for-note copy. But the Beatles suit was
>> uncalled for, IMO. The lyric-in-question was not the same, nor was the
>> "melody" the same. It was obviously an homage, but it does not seem to
>> me to be plagiarized.
>
> Especially so since if it was plagerized, it wan't plagerized from
> Chuck Berry.

Here's John Lennon doing "You Can't Catch Me". Some see similarities to
"Come Together", others not so much. You be the judge. But, it should be
noted that Chuck Berry didn't bring the suit against the Beatles, it was
brought by Morris Levy, the producer that owned the rights to that song.
IOW, Chuck had no standing in that process.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8g70Pzfcq0

--
best regards,

Neil

jjaj...@netscape.net

Mar 23, 2017, 1:08:12 PM3/23/17
On thing that amazes me, people talk more about an artist, after he's/she's dead.

Jack

PStamler

Mar 23, 2017, 5:34:41 PM3/23/17
"Plagiarism is basic to culture"
- Folklorist Charles Seeger, as quoted by his son Pete

geoff

Mar 23, 2017, 5:56:52 PM3/23/17
Well that event does somewhat draw attention to them.

geoff

Peter Larsen

Mar 24, 2017, 5:44:35 AM3/24/17
Once they die focus changes from "last concert" to "entire career" ...

> geoff

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Les Cargill

Mar 24, 2017, 8:14:55 AM3/24/17
Pudentame wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Mar 2017 10:45:58 +1300, geoff <ge...@nospampaf.co.nz>
> wrote:
>
>> On 19/03/2017 12:12 p.m., jtees4 wrote:

>>> He influenced every musician and guitarist I have ever liked, they all
>>> talk about his influence. RIP Chuck.
>>
>> Though it seems he was a bit less than nice in the personal and
>> business areas :
>>
>> http://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/music/90624302/chuck-berry-he-was-a-pretty-nasty-man
>>
>> geoff
>
> That's not the worst of his transgressions.
>
> He was convicted of armed robbery at age 18 and spent three years in a
> Missouri reformatory.
>
> His signature guitar licks were lifted from other players - the intro
> to Johnny B. Goode came from Louis Jordan's "Ain't That Just Like A
> Woman" - a fact the conveniently forgot when he sued the Beach Boys
> for plagarism.
>
> http://www.songfacts.com/detail.php?id=12121
>
> In 2000, his former pianist, Johnnie Johnson, sued Berry for song
> writing credit for many of Berry's early Chess Record hits.

I am very pleased to hear that.

> He also had stints in prison for statuatory rape and tax evasion.
>
> In 1990 Berry was for installing a video camera in the ladies bathroom
> of his night club, The Southern Air Restaurant, secretly recording the
> women using it.
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_Air_Restaurant

And he's still Chuck Berry.

--
Les Cargill

Les Cargill

Mar 24, 2017, 8:19:25 AM3/24/17
PStamler wrote:
> "Plagiarism is basic to culture"
> - Folklorist Charles Seeger, as quoted by his son Pete

+1

==
Les Cargill

John Williamson

Mar 24, 2017, 8:48:53 AM3/24/17
On 23/03/2017 21:34, PStamler wrote:
> "Plagiarism is basic to culture"
> - Folklorist Charles Seeger, as quoted by his son Pete

This has been true since even before the Christians ripped off some
pagan festivals, filed the serial numbers off and sold them as Easter,
Christmas and so on.

Any work of art is derivative and influenced by others, which may not be
in the same genre. By the same token, every live performance or other
piece of work is unique, as it is influenced by the creator, the space
and the audience.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

jjaj...@netscape.net

Mar 24, 2017, 11:23:51 AM3/24/17
The way I see it, immediately after they die:
Radio: 3 Hour Long Chuck Berry Special! Don't miss it!
Record Companies: Most Definitive Compilation EVER! Limited Edition! Available on "colored" vinyl!

Jack :)

Pudentame

Mar 24, 2017, 12:06:18 PM3/24/17
On Thu, 23 Mar 2017 13:01:29 -0400, Neil <ne...@myplaceofwork.com>
wrote:
John Lennon's cover of "You Can't Catch Me" has a pacing similar to
"Come Together". The album "Rock 'n' Roll" it appeared on was recorded
5 or 6 years after "Abby Road".

It wouldn't sursprise me if Lennon performed the two songs in a medly
live.

But, "Come Together" really does not sound like Chuck Berry's version
of "You Can't Catch Me"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jKrHzps0XM

Again, as with the Beach Boys, the parts that Berry (or his publisher)
claimed were plagerized existed in the Rock 'n Roll lexicon before
Chuck Berry.

There's nothing original to be plagerized.

Pudentame

Mar 24, 2017, 12:08:16 PM3/24/17
Well, not any more. Like Mozart & Beethovan, he's now de-composing.

jjaj...@netscape.net

Mar 24, 2017, 4:04:19 PM3/24/17
Knew a Detective. He was where I worked, told us he had a hot video he wanted us to see!! He came in after hours, we had a VCR there. He said wait until you see what the nurse does to this guy! We all sat patiently, until the corpse was exposed. So many maggots, even eating the face flesh. We all puked. He LOL'd! Body had been decomposing by a river for two weeks!

Jack

geoff

Mar 24, 2017, 6:11:12 PM3/24/17
How long is (was ?) it before all possible combinations of notes and
lyrics have/had been composed ?

geoff

Les Cargill

Mar 24, 2017, 10:13:33 PM3/24/17
I dunno. He got a song put on Voyager. That's pretty immortal.

--
Les Cargill

Trevor

Mar 25, 2017, 2:06:16 AM3/25/17
On 24/03/2017 11:48 PM, John Williamson wrote:
> Any work of art is derivative and influenced by others, which may not be
> in the same genre. By the same token, every live performance or other
> piece of work is unique, as it is influenced by the creator, the space
> and the audience.

Well unique perhaps, but may still be "derivative, influenced by
others", or a complete imitation, like every tribute band playing live.

Trevor.

John Williamson

Mar 25, 2017, 3:54:58 AM3/25/17
Not so much the lyrics, but someone did write a computer program with
the aim of copyrighting every possible sequence of notes in the standard
pop genres.

PStamler

Mar 26, 2017, 8:35:06 PM3/26/17
Kind of a combination of Arthur C. Clarke's two short stories "The Ultimate Melody" and "The Nine Billion Names of God". Keep your eyes on the stars.

Peace,
Paul

Tobiah

Mar 27, 2017, 5:45:11 PM3/27/17
Try to think of three common words that have never once been uttered in succession
throughout all of history.

(Aside from "Toby got laid")

geoff

Mar 27, 2017, 6:37:48 PM3/27/17
On 28/03/2017 10:45 a.m., Tobiah wrote:
>> How long is (was ?) it before all possible combinations of notes and lyrics have/had been composed ?
>>
>> geoff
> Try to think of three common words that have never once been uttered in succession
> throughout all of history.
>
> (Aside from "Toby got laid")

Oooh, I feel a lyric coming on ....

"I heard that Toby got laid