MIDI Clock drifting problem, I need some suggestions please

One Punch Mickey

Oct 24, 2001, 7:21:53 PM10/24/01
Hi All,
I'm hacking my way through learning MIDI and learning how to Sync my
gear together. Right now I'm trying to sync some loops in Acid Pro
3.0c w/some beats I programmed in my Akai MPC 3000. My MIDI clock is
being generated by my Echo Layla 24.

The problem is, when I start Acid, it immediately fires off my MPC and
it's perfectly in sync for about 50 seconds and then it starts to
drift.

I'm so new to MIDI I'm not sure where to look to determine the
problem. I don't know if it's my sound card, if it's Acid Pro, if
it's the MPC....

Any ideas?

TIA

-OPM

Steve Jorgensen

Oct 24, 2001, 7:31:50 PM10/24/01
I seem to remember that Acid is counterintuitive in this regard. You
have to specify external MIDI sync in 2 places before it actually
functions. Read the help file carefully.

By the way, Acid takes a few seconds to sync properly, so it's good to
have about a 2 or 3 measure silent lead-in to give it time to sync up.

BGrobman2

Oct 24, 2001, 7:43:18 PM10/24/01
MPC's seem to hate MTC. Midi clock is better but not as useful. It's best to
use SMPTE when using any of the MPC family and syncing externally especially as
a slave. If you wanted the computer to slave to the MPC then MTC would work.

Nate Tschetter

Oct 24, 2001, 8:13:30 PM10/24/01
Howdy

Are you generating MIDI Time Code or MIDI Beat Clocks? If using MTC,
perhaps you have a framerate mismatch.

In article <22jett0e4dsbb6j2e...@4ax.com>,

One Punch Mickey <mic...@hotmail.com> wrote:

--
Cheers

Nate Tschetter
Sonic Taxidermist
www.gluethemoose.com

Tonebarge

Oct 24, 2001, 9:38:10 PM10/24/01
Check the menus on the devices that are chasing and make sure that they're
set to lock to MIDI. Some give the option to sync the start points
(trigger) and also give the option to sync constantly (lock). If you
trigger the start only it's a crap shoot as to whether or not they stay in
sync. Serendipity, actually.

Cheers,

TB

Nate Tschetter wrote:

--
- All tribal myths are true, for a given value of "true" -

One Punch Mickey

Oct 25, 2001, 12:33:20 AM10/25/01
Thanks TB, I'll have to check that. I may have set it to sync to the
start rather than lock.

OPM

On Wed, 24 Oct 2001 17:38:10 -0800, Tonebarge <Tone...@iscweb.com>

One Punch Mickey

Oct 25, 2001, 12:34:58 AM10/25/01
Thanks, I will have to try SMPTE. I used MTC at first and it was a
little glitchy, so I switched to MIDI Clock which worked "better"
because at least it was locking Acid and the MPC to the same BPM but
it's still losing sync after a minute or so.

On 24 Oct 2001 23:43:18 GMT, bgro...@aol.comno.spam (BGrobman2)

One Punch Mickey

Oct 25, 2001, 12:38:08 AM10/25/01
Thanks Steve, I looked through the manual a little bit, I guess I
should have looked through a little more thoroughly. I was actually
having that problem to begin with where it would run for about 2
frames before the MPC would kick in. I managed to eliminate that
problem in the "Advanced" tab of the Sync options menu. There were
some options for adjusting sync delay times etc...That got rid of that
2 measure lead in.

František Platkevič

Feb 27, 2021, 1:37:38 AM2/27/21
Dne čtvrtek 25. října 2001 v 1:21:53 UTC+2 uživatel One Punch Mickey napsal:
Listen to my stuff Made with MPC 1
Cray23#AcidFrank - Cooptechkk by Acid Frank on #SoundCloud
https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/6N9KP

Listen to my stuff Made with MPC 1
Cray23#AcidFrank - Cooptechkk by Acid Frank on #SoundCloud
https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/6N9KP

František Platkevič

Feb 27, 2021, 1:38:23 AM2/27/21

František Platkevič