Sennie MD421 capsule ?

geoff

Jul 12, 2022, 9:13:09 PM7/12/22
The not uncommon 'thin sound' scenario. No, it's not anything to do with
the roll-off switch (checked by substitution). The voice-coil in contact
with the pole-piece I suspect.

Seems the old version capsule is no longer obtainable, and from what I
gather the '-II' version is not physically compatible.

Can anybody here confirm if this is correct, or should I be able to get
the 'II' to fit (and work somewhere near spec) in a 'classic' body ?

TIA

geoff

palli...@gmail.com

Jul 13, 2022, 12:50:39 AM7/13/22
geoff wrote:
===========

> The not uncommon 'thin sound' scenario. No, it's not anything to do with
> the roll-off switch (checked by substitution). The voice-coil in contact
> with the pole-piece I suspect.

** All the times I have seen that problem it was due to magnetic particles depressing the VC into the gap.
Tiny bits of nickel plate flung off drum parts & frames is one source.
Tricky to remove but can be done with a small screwdriver tip.

...... Phil

geoff

Jul 13, 2022, 12:58:03 AM7/13/22
Thanks for the tip - will take a peek .

geoff

Scott Dorsey

Jul 13, 2022, 3:57:27 PM7/13/22
You might be able to get it to fit, but then it will sound like a -II which
really there's little point to.

The element on the original 421 is designed to be repairable. The diaphragm
and coil pop off, you put a new one on and center it with shims and go. The
problem is that they haven't actually sold the repair parts any time in the
past half-century.
--scott