Stack Exchange Q&A site public beta: Audio Recording and Production

Ben

Jan 21, 2011, 12:09:45 AM1/21/11
Hi!

Just wanted to make you aware of a new Q&A website for recording
enthusiasts and professionals, audio engineers, producers, music
composers and arrangers, to help with microphoning, recording
techniques, mixing and mastering, and using the related hard- and
software.

It's built on the same software as http://stackoverflow.com, a hugely
popular site where over seven million programmers help each other with
difficult programming problems. On Stack Overflow the audience votes
for the best answer, so the answer you want is usually right at the
top, not on page five.

I'm hoping that a site for recording enthusiasts and professionals
would have the same kind of network effect and turn into an amazing
resource.

The public beta is going on here, if you're interested in
participating:

http://audio.stackexchange.com

Here's a sampling of some of the questions that have been asked so
far:

* How do I get a mix with two heavy bass elements to not sound
muddy?
http://audio.stackexchange.com/q/268/64

* What is side chain compression?
http://audio.stackexchange.com/q/270/64

* How to mic a 50 persons choir standing behind an orchestra
http://audio.stackexchange.com/q/122/64

Thanks!

hank alrich

Jan 21, 2011, 1:43:22 AM1/21/11

theclyde

Jan 21, 2011, 8:35:36 AM1/21/11
On Jan 20, 11:09 pm, Ben <bvirk...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Just wanted to make you aware of a new Q&A website for recording
> enthusiasts and professionals, audio engineers, producers, music
> composers and arrangers, to help with microphoning, recording
> techniques, mixing and mastering, and using the related hard- and
> software.
>
> It's built on the same software ashttp://stackoverflow.com, a hugely

> popular site where over seven million programmers help each other with
> difficult programming problems. On Stack Overflow the audience votes
> for the best answer, so the answer you want is usually right at the
> top, not on page five.
>
> I'm hoping that a site for recording enthusiasts and professionals
> would have the same kind of network effect and turn into an amazing
> resource.
>
> The public beta is going on here, if you're interested in
> participating:
>
> http://audio.stackexchange.com
>
> Here's a sampling of some of the questions that have been asked so
> far:
>
>     * How do I get a mix with two heavy bass elements to not sound
> muddy?
>      http://audio.stackexchange.com/q/268/64
>
>     * What is side chain compression?
>      http://audio.stackexchange.com/q/270/64
>
>     * How to mic a 50 persons choir standing behind an orchestra
>      http://audio.stackexchange.com/q/122/64
>
> Thanks!

Oh good. Another disparate audio communications solution to make life
easier.

Peter Larsen

Jan 21, 2011, 12:07:40 PM1/21/11
theclyde wrote:

> Oh good. Another disparate audio communications solution to make life
> easier.

<smiling innocently>
You're too negative, thanks to that site I know that I should either use
omnis or not, I would never have guessed that on my own and via my own
tinkering.
</smiling innocently>

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Ben

Jan 21, 2011, 10:19:04 PM1/21/11
On Jan 21, 11:07 am, "Peter Larsen" <digi...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> <smiling innocently>
> You're too negative, thanks to that site I know that I should either use
> omnis or not, I would never have guessed that on my own and via my own
> tinkering.
> </smiling innocently>

Wow, harsh!

One of our more active members mentioned that he used to be active in
this group, so I thought if he liked it maybe some of the rest of you
would as well. This wasn't intended to be spam and I'm sorry if it
came across that way. If nothing else, I guess I'm glad to have
provided you with a subject of mockery for your amusement.

- Ben

Peter Larsen

Jan 22, 2011, 3:28:28 AM1/22/11
Ben wrote:

> On Jan 21, 11:07 am, "Peter Larsen" <digi...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>> <smiling innocently>
>> You're too negative, thanks to that site I know that I should either
>> use omnis or not, I would never have guessed that on my own and via
>> my own tinkering.
>> </smiling innocently>

> Wow, harsh!

You asked for an evaluation and got one and got one that points to a problem
you need to try to solve. Most certainly more helpful than just adding you
to the blocked senders list, and that was the alternative, but it had not
been helpful.

> One of our more active members mentioned that he used to be active in
> this group, so I thought if he liked it maybe some of the rest of you
> would as well.

I'm here because I write for fun and enjoy the good company and because in
priniciple other people do not make money of what I supply for free.

> This wasn't intended to be spam and I'm sorry if it
> came across that way.

If you wanna do it - and methinks you do - then get it right, the way the
world is going the single bbs is coming back because - seemingly - there is
more money to be made that way than by internetworked sharing.

> If nothing else, I guess I'm glad to have
> provided you with a subject of mockery for your amusement.

Ah, I'm the bad guy in this lackluster reception of your concept .... ok, so
here the statements that caused the comment:

" Using a XY or ORTF is good against the cross talk, but any
" system that places the two mics close together only gives me
" the middle few singers.

This is a question about classical sound recording from a presumed virtual
person - I do not think the questionee is real - containing a major
misunderstanding of how a mic pair works. One of my better recordings is
Menddelssohns Elija recorded with a single pair, with soloists leftmost, if
anything at least the tenor is too loud.

Neither of your two real or virtual answer persons - the first one, who says
that yeah, omni's are out of the question to me appears to be the same
person, who wrote the question comment on that major misunderstanding. The
second, from wordings and style another person gets it right that using
omni's can actually be a good idea, but not why that is so: you get
additional ambience which can be helpful if logistics prevent the setup of
an ambience pair. But the that reply too is totally flunked because he also
does not appear to understand how a "slightly spaced" or non-coincident pair
works and how to set the pair up for the amount of de-correlation that
provides a usable stereophonic panorama. Using more than one non-coincident
pair of directional microphones works fine for me.

You have some real incompetence there, the worst problem not being what is
written as follow up, but what isn't.

Also you might want to read the recent thread on why peple here have not
joined another online forum and on what might entice them. You are
reinventing the single system BBS and at least I am very happy that we moved
on from those to networked informatilon fora in the latter half on the
1980'ties. With the increase in it-incompetence that has also brought os
operation systems that are optimized for analphabetics point and click fora
like yours have good chances of success and are likely to find it easy to
find investors because they provide a good platform for targeted marketing.

> - Ben

Kind regards

Peter Larsen