Comments on production?

Tobiah

Jun 8, 2021, 1:45:28 AM6/8/21
How'd I do? Could I improve the production? Can
you name the melody instruments?

Tobiah

Jun 8, 2021, 1:50:25 AM6/8/21
On 6/7/2021 10:45 PM, Tobiah wrote:
> How'd I do?  Could I improve the production?  Can
> you name the melody instruments?

Whoops, link:

http://ven.rcsreg.com/r2/come_again.wav

Don Pearce

Jun 8, 2021, 4:01:08 AM6/8/21
Is that a flageolet? Whatever - it needs more cowbell.

Seriously though, my only criticism would be that this is a little too
close-miked. This kind of performance needs air and I would have moved
the mics back to somewhere between six and ten feet, depending on the
quality of the room.

Tobiah

Jun 8, 2021, 3:20:16 PM6/8/21
On 6/8/2021 1:01 AM, Don Pearce wrote:
> On Mon, 7 Jun 2021 22:50:19 -0700, Tobiah <to...@tobiah.org> wrote:
>
>> On 6/7/2021 10:45 PM, Tobiah wrote:
>>> How'd I do?  Could I improve the production?  Can
>>> you name the melody instruments?
>>
>> Whoops, link:
>>
>> http://ven.rcsreg.com/r2/come_again.wav
>
> Is that a flageolet?

English Horn patch of an Akai EWI USB.

> Seriously though, my only criticism would be that this is a little too
> close-miked. This kind of performance needs air and I would have moved
> the mics back to somewhere between six and ten feet, depending on the
> quality of the room.

Yeah, I was probably a foot away from the mics. I'm in a bedroom with
little treatment in a residential area, but I'll try a little more distance.

polymod

Jun 9, 2021, 6:33:50 AM6/9/21

"Tobiah" wrote in message news:s9ofta$a5f$1...@gioia.aioe.org...
I had the feeling it was played on an Akai controller.
That being said, I thought the music and playing was wonderful. Nice job!

Poly

palli...@gmail.com

Jun 9, 2021, 7:07:34 AM6/9/21
Tobiah wrote:
===========

> > Seriously though, my only criticism would be that this is a little too
> > close-miked. This kind of performance needs air and I would have moved
> > the mics back to somewhere between six and ten feet, depending on the
> > quality of the room.
>
> Yeah, I was probably a foot away from the mics. I'm in a bedroom with
> little treatment in a residential area, but I'll try a little more distance.

** Though Don's comment is quite reasonable in terms of normal recording practice, your close up, near anechoic method is valid.
If heard via headphones or in a well damped room ( quite rare) it sounds too dry - in an average conditions with considerable reverberation bouncing around instruments sound like they are right in the room with you.

For a solo instrument or voice, this is not all bad.

..... Phil

Don Pearce

Jun 9, 2021, 9:53:30 AM6/9/21
This is a dilemma as old as recording. Do you record dry and allow the
result to sound like it is being played in the listeners room, or do
you record an acoustic that overlays the listener's space and
simulates a different environment? Providing the environment is the
normal choice, because the listener can always deaden a space. Making
a small listening room live is almost always doomed to a booming,
mode-bound failure.

Jason Scott

Jun 9, 2021, 7:23:14 PM6/9/21
If you're in an untreated bedroom, you might try adding a little plate reverb
in post.

Tobiah

Jun 9, 2021, 7:54:44 PM6/9/21
> If you're in an untreated bedroom, you might try adding a little plate reverb
> in post.

I used the reverb in the EWI software for the wind instrument and added some
moderate reverb to the guitar via a plugin.

geoff

Jun 9, 2021, 8:53:04 PM6/9/21
Though I'd suggest that the 'horn' and the guitar sound to be too
different - as in the guitar is close-miked, and the horn is sounding
more distant and roomy. Each in a similar space and apparent distance
would sound better to me.

geoff

James Price

Jun 9, 2021, 11:16:06 PM6/9/21
I agree.

Tobiah

Jun 12, 2021, 8:08:36 PM6/12/21
> Though I'd suggest that the 'horn' and the guitar sound to be too
> different - as in the guitar is close-miked, and the horn is
> sounding more distant and roomy. Each in a similar space and apparent
> distance would sound better to me.

Thanks, that's helpful. I did another render, this time with both
instruments in the same reverb space. I was compelled to make the
horn a little more 'wet' though, because if it gets to dry, the
synth sound is betrayed and the thing starts sounding like a Casio
keyboard!

https://ven.rcsreg.com/r2/come_again2.mp3

Don Pearce

Jun 13, 2021, 3:53:31 AM6/13/21
A bit more work needed with EQ. The mic's proximity effect lifting the
bass is very evident on the guitar. That needs dialing down to stop it
being so boomy.