Help Me Identify This Mic

Sean B

Jul 5, 2021, 2:17:47 PM7/5/21

palli...@gmail.com

Jul 5, 2021, 7:29:27 PM7/5/21

Scott Dorsey

Jul 7, 2021, 9:42:49 AM7/7/21
SM-57 with an A2 windscreen, just like the president uses! A great choice in
bad weather.
--scott

Chris Gillies

Jul 7, 2021, 1:39:37 PM7/7/21
On 2021-07-07 8:42 a.m., Scott Dorsey wrote:
> Sean B <seanbrode...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> Can anyone tell me what this vocal mic is:
>>
>> https://duckduckgo.com/?q=summer+of+soul&t=chromentp&atb=v274-1&iax=images&ia=images&iai=https%3A%2F%2Fmovies-b26f.kxcdn.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2021%2F04%2Fsummerofsoul3.jpg
>
> SM-57 with an A2 windscreen, just like the president uses! A great choice in
> bad weather.
> --scott

I used to have a bunch of those (from the late 70s I'd guess). I loved
them but the A2 foam rotted away after 10 years, while the the big puff
balls made for SM58s are still fine even today. Does anyone know if
modern A2 versions are made with a more stable foam? They were a tad
pricey at the time.

Scott Dorsey

Jul 11, 2021, 3:05:29 PM7/11/21
Chris Gillies <gill...@mts.net> wrote:
>On 2021-07-07 8:42 a.m., Scott Dorsey wrote:
>> SM-57 with an A2 windscreen, just like the president uses! A great choice in
>> bad weather.
>>
>I used to have a bunch of those (from the late 70s I'd guess). I loved
>them but the A2 foam rotted away after 10 years, while the the big puff
>balls made for SM58s are still fine even today. Does anyone know if
>modern A2 versions are made with a more stable foam? They were a tad
>pricey at the time.

I can't say specifically about those, but in general the urethanes of the
1970s were not stable and urethanes today pretty much are. Speaker surround
foams fell apart, urethane pinch rollers became gooey, and Ampex 456 with
thermosetting urethane binder went sticky. All of these are basically the
same problem and today it's a solved problem and shouldn't be expected to
happen.