Any substantial change in LP manufacture from the 50's?

brass...@yahoo.com

Oct 25, 2021, 5:00:33 AM10/25/21
Other than generally starting from a digital recording rather than analog tape, is most of what's in this 50's film pretty much how it's still done today with the resurgence of vinyl?

Lacquer master > metal master > metal mother > metal stamper > vinyl biscuit > pressed record - with metal plating processes.

1951 film starring famed cartoon voice artist Mel Blanc and composer/arranger Billy May who's playing the big dopey guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxkSRvkKF9k

palli...@gmail.com

Oct 25, 2021, 5:10:55 AM10/25/21
brass...@yahoo.com wrote:

> Other than generally starting from a digital recording rather than analog tape,
> is most of what's in this 50's film pretty much how it's still done today with the
> resurgence of vinyl?

** No.

Massive improvements went on up to the late 1980s.
Far better cutting machines, 45/45 stereo, half speed cutting and 45rpm direct cut LPs.
Noise free vinyl and the use of pickup cartridges that did not harm the disc.

In fact, direct cut was the norm prior to the early 50s.
Get a clue sometime.

...... Phil

Don Pearce

Oct 25, 2021, 6:43:25 AM10/25/21
The vinyl is by far the weakest link in the chain and the pressing
method still results in the same distorted crap now that it did back
then. If you are into nostalgia, go ahead and buy vinyl. If you want a
good sound stick with digital media.

Liz Tuddenham

Oct 25, 2021, 7:05:07 AM10/25/21
One of the big changes was the universal adoption of RIAA recording
characteristics in 1955, before that there was a wide range of
characteristics and they are a nightmare for the transcription engineers
to sort out. Some of the older characteristics were just RIAA under
another name but some were totally different and sound dreadful if they
are played on modern equipment without variable characteristics.

In addition there were recordings taken from tape which had been
recorded to NAB standards but accidentally played back with CCIR
characteristics and vice-versa. There was also metalwork send from the
US to the UK which was used to make copies that were played and
re-equalised to the UK company's standards but mistakenly played with
the wrong characteristics.

Peter Copelands definitive work give a lot more information, but even he
never succeeded in sorting it all out:

<http://www.bl.uk/reshelp/findhelprestype/sound/anaudio/analoguesoundres
toration.pdf>

--
~ Liz Tuddenham ~
www.poppyrecords.co.uk

Chris K-Man

Oct 25, 2021, 8:07:11 AM10/25/21

John Williamson

Oct 25, 2021, 9:29:42 AM10/25/21
On 25/10/2021 13:07, Chris K-Man wrote:
> I fixed that link for ya:
>
> https://www.bl.uk/britishlibrary/~/media/subjects%20images/sound/analoguesoundrestoration

No you didn't... It seems you can't even copy and paste accurately.

https://www.bl.uk/britishlibrary/~/media/subjects%20images/sound/analoguesoundrestoration.pdf
--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Chris K-Man

Oct 25, 2021, 10:03:09 AM10/25/21
_________

It worked for me - went right to the PDF.

Liz's link took me just to the main library front page.

John Williamson

Oct 25, 2021, 10:18:41 AM10/25/21
Your link as published is invalid. You missed the bit that leads my
browser to the actual page. It is an interesting document when you do
download it, though,

Scott Dorsey

Oct 25, 2021, 5:52:36 PM10/25/21
brass...@yahoo.com <brass...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>Other than generally starting from a digital recording rather than analog tape, is most of what's in this 50's film pretty much how it's still done today with the resurgence of vinyl?

The vinyl material is different. Cutting heads are different, with more
excursion and a lot more slew rate. We have stereo today. But there are
still plenty of folks cutting with old Scully lathes.

Lacquers have changed and so there is less of a need for dehorning today.

Some pressing plants have adopted better and more modern centering methods.
Some have not.

>Lacquer master > metal master > metal mother > metal stamper > vinyl biscuit > pressed record - with metal plating processes.

That's two-step process, which is what you do if you're going to press a
lot of records. If you're only going to do a thousand or so, you make the
stamper right off the lacquer, which gets you better sound quality but a
much shorter run. Almost everyone today uses one-step process because
nobody is selling a million LPs of anything.

For a couple of reasons having to do with the EPA's war on hexavalent
chromium, the modern stampers do not last as long as the stampers of
the fifties as well.

>1951 film starring famed cartoon voice artist Mel Blanc and composer/arranger Billy May who's playing the big dopey guy.
>
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxkSRvkKF9k

You'll seldom see a tape machine with preview heads in a modern mastering
studio; everything goes through a digital delay now. It's a shame if you
ask me.
--scott

Chris K-Man

Oct 25, 2021, 7:00:52 PM10/25/21
______

Both my link and yours had no problem getting to the
specific PDF, "British Library" at top juxtaposed in a red box,
and the title, "Manual of analog sound restoration techniques"
below it.

Either something is wrong with your browser, or it's a
simple case of PEBCAK.

Liz Tuddenham

Oct 26, 2021, 3:45:02 AM10/26/21
brass...@yahoo.com <brass...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Other than generally starting from a digital recording rather than analog
> tape, is most of what's in this 50's film pretty much how it's still done
> today with the resurgence of vinyl?
>
> Lacquer master > metal master > metal mother > metal stamper > vinyl
> biscuit > pressed record - with metal plating processes.

I believe injection moulding was used for 7-inch 'singles' in the 1980s.
It was a much faster process than conventional pressing, so it meant
that large numbers of records could be got onto the market quickly in
response to an ephemeral trend.

12-inch records were still pressed by the conventional process, but the
demand for them was steadier and more predictable.

palli...@gmail.com

Oct 26, 2021, 3:55:27 AM10/26/21
Liz Tuddenham wrote:

> I believe injection moulding was used for 7-inch 'singles' in the 1980s.
> It was a much faster process than conventional pressing, so it meant
> that large numbers of records could be got onto the market quickly in
> response to an ephemeral trend.

** Ideal tech for a " one hit wonder "' !!

By by 1980, Compact Cassettes were very big and CDs began taking over.

Plus off air recording on cassette rife ....

..... Phil

None

Oct 26, 2021, 7:34:34 AM10/26/21
On Mon, 25 Oct 2021 05:07:08 -0700, the village idiot Theckma ate shit:
> I fixed that link for ya:

More proof that you're a brain-damaged retard, and of course, a dumb fuck.

You really enjoy reminding everyone what a fucking moron you are.

FCKWAFM

None

Oct 26, 2021, 7:35:24 AM10/26/21
On Mon, 25 Oct 2021 16:00:49 -0700, Chris K-Man wrote:

> Either something is wrong with your browser, or it's a simple
> case of <FLUSH>

It's a simple case of you being a retarded dumb fuck.

Scott Dorsey

Oct 26, 2021, 6:52:41 PM10/26/21
Liz Tuddenham <l...@poppyrecords.invalid.invalid> wrote:

>I believe injection moulding was used for 7-inch 'singles' in the 1980s.
>It was a much faster process than conventional pressing, so it meant
>that large numbers of records could be got onto the market quickly in
>response to an ephemeral trend.

Al Massler and Clark Galehouse started the styrene injection molding
process in the late 1940s and by the fifties it became almost universal
for 45s because you could press more discs from the same lacquer and
as you note it was much faster.

It was still in use in the eighties but nobody does it anymore, so if
you get 7" discs pressed today they will be vinyl.

The styrene discs lasted longer in a jukebox before they wore out, but
when they wore out the distortion was more offensive than that of a
worn vinyl pressing.

>12-inch records were still pressed by the conventional process, but the
>demand for them was steadier and more predictable.

They still are.