Usenet Service

mcp6453

Mar 31, 2021, 5:08:55 PM3/31/21
I'm paying about $8 per month for Usenet access from Giganews. This
group is the only one I access any more. Is there a cheaper alternative?
I can downgrade my Giganews account, but a free one would be nice, if
there is such a thing these days.

Don Pearce

Mar 31, 2021, 5:40:39 PM3/31/21
Eternal-September is free and very good.

polymod

Apr 1, 2021, 6:30:47 AM4/1/21

"Don Pearce" wrote in message

On Wed, 31 Mar 2021 17:08:46 -0400, mcp6453 <mcp...@gmail.com> wrote:

>I'm paying about $8 per month for Usenet access from Giganews. This
>group is the only one I access any more. Is there a cheaper alternative?
>I can downgrade my Giganews account, but a free one would be nice, if
>there is such a thing these days.

Eternal-September is free and very good.

I second that motion.

Poly

ClumsyWetPilotDevil66

Apr 1, 2021, 8:58:05 AM4/1/21
I third it... eternal-september.org plus Thunderbird on win 10, or plus Homez reader on Android. All free and works well

Liz Tuddenham

Apr 1, 2021, 10:57:44 AM4/1/21
I've been using 'news.individual.net' with MacSOUP for the last 20 years
and it has worked flawlessly (perhaps I am tempting fate by saying
that). They are currently charging 10 Euros per year.

--
~ Liz Tuddenham ~
www.poppyrecords.co.uk

geoff

Apr 2, 2021, 1:12:01 AM4/2/21
That would be "Holmez" ?

geoff

Ty Ford

Apr 2, 2021, 10:39:59 AM4/2/21
On Thursday, April 1, 2021 at 10:57:44 AM UTC-4, Liz Tuddenham wrote:
> mcp6453 <mcp...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I'm paying about $8 per month for Usenet access from Giganews. This
> > group is the only one I access any more. Is there a cheaper alternative?
> > I can downgrade my Giganews account, but a free one would be nice, if
> > there is such a thing these days.
> I've been using 'news.individual.net' with MacSOUP for the last 20 years
> and it has worked flawlessly (perhaps I am tempting fate by saying
> that). They are currently charging 10 Euros per year.

Thanks Liz. I've also been using them a long time. No problems.

Ty Ford

Nil

Apr 3, 2021, 5:47:17 PM4/3/21
On 01 Apr 2021, l...@poppyrecords.invalid.invalid (Liz Tuddenham)
wrote in rec.audio.pro:

> I've been using 'news.individual.net' with MacSOUP for the last 20
> years and it has worked flawlessly (perhaps I am tempting fate by
> saying that). They are currently charging 10 Euros per year.

Yes, they're excellent. 10 euros/year is a bargain for that level of
service. I've never seen the service get interrupted - it's always up.

eternal-september is OK, but nowhere near as reliable. You get what you
pay for.

Nil

Apr 3, 2021, 5:53:21 PM4/3/21
On 02 Apr 2021, geoff <ge...@nospamgeoffwood.org> wrote in
rec.audio.pro:
Well, that's nice to know! It's been many, many years since I've seen
any Android Usenet client updated, let alone a new one introduced. I
figured it was a deadend technology that nobody would ever again sink
more time or effort into. I'm going to try this one out!

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.holmez.twa

Chris Gillies

Apr 4, 2021, 3:12:41 PM4/4/21
nntp.aioe.org with Thunderbird has been working for me.

John Williamson

Apr 5, 2021, 3:17:46 AM4/5/21
Just one point, there ain't no such thing as a free lunch, and while
there are quite a few free news swervers such as eternal september, that
one, while excellent, is run as a hobby, (Literally a server in his
bedroom, last tine I checked) and he appreciates donations towards the
cost of equipment and bandwidth.
--
Tciao for Now!

John.

MuseChaser

Apr 5, 2021, 9:50:05 AM4/5/21
On Wed, 31 Mar 2021 21:08:46 GMT, mcp6453 wrote:
Holmez isn's not beautiful or intuitive, but the price is right. Haven't found a way to save this newsgroup for easy access each time, and when you search you have to scroll down past a punch of other hits to find the "search for newsgroups" field. Also, so far, I've only been able to reply to the initial posts in threads, and not to followups. For instamce, I could only post this reply to the thread opener...I couldn't reply directly to the post inquring about Holmez?

Tobiah

Apr 6, 2021, 3:07:54 PM4/6/21

> nntp.aioe.org with Thunderbird has been working for me.

Me2. Free and reliable.