Just filled up

ScottW

May 11, 2021, 1:08:12 PM5/11/21
4.16/gallon at 7-11, cheapest gas near me.
Thats up .20/gal since my last fillup a couple weeks ago.

I see Chevron wants 4.34

These prices are killers for a struggling to restart restaurant industry.

BTW, all you e-car drivers, turning on your car heater in winter can zap your range by 30%.
ICE cars heat you for no additional charge.
No charge....snicker.

ScottW

MiNe109

May 11, 2021, 1:57:56 PM5/11/21
On 5/11/21 12:08 PM, ScottW wrote:
> 4.16/gallon at 7-11, cheapest gas near me.
> Thats up .20/gal since my last fillup a couple weeks ago.
>
> I see Chevron wants 4.34
>
> These prices are killers for a struggling to restart restaurant industry.

Two years the restaurant industry was fine. Statewide, gas is $3.95 now
vs $3.96 then. Too bad for your restarts I guess.

ScottW

May 11, 2021, 11:00:33 PM5/11/21
Two years ago Cali had a couple of spikes due to refinery outages and fires.
They were a few months each and price returned to their baseline of about 3.50.
Nothing to do with underlying energy prices and/or
the economy. We're not having anything like that right now and prices are on a steady rise.
That 3.95 is out dated. Statewide avg today is 4.11 per gasbuddy.
As you can see...only 1 state is seeing decline. Rest are flat or rising.
https://www.gasbuddy.com/usa

ScottW

Trevor Wilson

May 11, 2021, 11:40:05 PM5/11/21
** https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peak_oil

California is the largest market for EVs in the US and it is
increasing. Perhaps gas infrastructure is being wound down. If I was
investing money in transport, then a gas station would be way down the
list on investments. EV charging stations would be a much smarter
investment.

ScottW

May 12, 2021, 12:31:34 AM5/12/21
and this is why Trevor works in a hobby business.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/bradtempleton/2021/01/25/can-electric-car-charging-be-a-business/?sh=55bc9fc971e9

Since 90% of EVs are charged at home...and some at work for free...it's almost impossible to see a scenario where
pay EV stations in urban area will ever be viable.
Plus the overhead is enormous compared to a gas station. A gas pump puts out about 13 gal/minute.
In Ca. that's about 50$ a minute.
An EV station takes far longer so their markup is far greater than gas. So high that the most fuel efficient ICE cars are actually cheaper to fuel than an EV charged at a pay station.

ScottW

Trevor Wilson

May 12, 2021, 12:46:00 AM5/12/21
**You seem to be labouring under the delusion that there is a future for
gasoline vehicles. There isn't.

ScottW

May 12, 2021, 1:14:54 AM5/12/21
I think the real future will be in hydrogen fuel cells.
Batteries suck.

ScottW

Trevor Wilson

May 12, 2021, 1:56:58 AM5/12/21
**For long/er distances, you may well be correct. However, this is an
important thing to remember:

https://alankandel.scienceblog.com/2014/02/07/annual-per-capita-california-driving-1-5-times-the-national-average/

In 2014, the average car in Cal. travelled 37 miles/day. Easy and quick
to charge for a day's running. For the minority of drivers who need to
travel (a lot) more miles, then H2 fuel cells may be appropriate. Or a
hybrid. Preferably a PHEV.

However, there are a few other developments worth considering.
Aluminium-Ion batteries is the big one. They can be charged faster, hold
double the charge (per unit volume) and should last longer. So, based on
a Tesla Model S, range should be around 800 miles. That's further than I
feel comfortable in a one day drive. And, of course, EV technology is
improving very fast.

George M. Middius

May 12, 2021, 2:09:18 AM5/12/21

Trevor Wilson wrote:

> Aluminium-Ion batteries is the big one. They can be charged faster, hold
> double the charge (per unit volume) and should last longer. So, based on
> a Tesla Model S, range should be around 800 miles. That's further than I
> feel comfortable in a one day drive. And, of course, EV technology is
> improving very fast.

Well well well... According to Wiki, Al-ion batteries have 150% more
"energy density potential" than Li-ion ones. Also, an Al atom can shed 3
electrons "at a time", compared to only 1 electron for an Li atom.

I have no understanding of these assertions, but Scottie's been served.

MiNe109

May 12, 2021, 8:00:44 AM5/12/21
On 5/11/21 10:00 PM, ScottW wrote:
> On Tuesday, May 11, 2021 at 10:57:56 AM UTC-7, MINe109 wrote:
>> On 5/11/21 12:08 PM, ScottW wrote:
>>> 4.16/gallon at 7-11, cheapest gas near me.
>>> Thats up .20/gal since my last fillup a couple weeks ago.
>>>
>>> I see Chevron wants 4.34
>>>
>>> These prices are killers for a struggling to restart restaurant industry.
>> Two years the restaurant industry was fine. Statewide, gas is $3.95 now
>> vs $3.96 then. Too bad for your restarts I guess.
>
> Two years ago Cali had a couple of spikes due to refinery outages and fires.
> They were a few months each and price returned to their baseline of about 3.50.
> Nothing to do with underlying energy prices and/or
> the economy.
> We're not having anything like that right now and prices are on a steady rise.

Demand is up, production isn't increasing, crude oil and ethanol prices
are up and there are also truck and pipeline delivery problems. The
freeze wasn't great for Texas refineries.

> That 3.95 is out dated.

May 10.

> Statewide avg today is 4.11 per gasbuddy.
> As you can see...only 1 state is seeing decline. Rest are flat or rising.
> https://www.gasbuddy.com/usa

Just OPEC and big oil doing what they do.

ScottW

May 12, 2021, 12:42:35 PM5/12/21
Yup at home over night or if you're lucky...at work on your employer's nickel.
My company had some charge stations for their rich exec's and their
100K Tesla's when they first came out. I briefly knew a staff guy who had transferred back from
their defunct early TV on your phone effort. Very smart software engineer.
He had a Tesla and had rewritten it's main software program and created his own GUI.
He eventually left for a job at Tesla...he called it his "dream job".

> For the minority of drivers who need to
> travel (a lot) more miles, then H2 fuel cells may be appropriate. Or a
> hybrid. Preferably a PHEV.

Everyone occasionally needs that ability and most people don't have the luxury
of another car just for long distance.

> However, there are a few other developments worth considering.
> Aluminium-Ion batteries is the big one. They can be charged faster, hold
> double the charge (per unit volume) and should last longer.

We'll see. Lot's of R&D on batteries. Lot's a promises but nothing commercially available
that meets the need yet.
I think this promise of future tech puts a big damper on EV demand.
Who wants to buy a 300 mile 10 hour charge car when an 800 mile, 30 minute charge is around the corner?
Your trade in will be worthless.

> So, based on
> a Tesla Model S, range should be around 800 miles. That's further than I
> feel comfortable in a one day drive. And, of course, EV technology is
> improving very fast.

I think the real game changer is not the EV...it's the AV.
That's when people will be able to opt out of owning their own car.

ScottW