Has anyone here built SEAS kits?

5 views
Skip to first unread message

Mal P

unread,
Feb 16, 2002, 8:28:02 PM2/16/02
to
Hello there,

I was wondering if anyone here has built, or heard any of the newer SEAS
kits using the "Millenium" tweeters and Magnesium mid-ranges? Odin, Froy,
Thor etc? If so, what do you think of their quality? Would they compare to
top-end bookshelf speakers for mids and highs? It seems they have been
designed by Joseph D'Appolito, and the cross-over design appears to
eliminate the resonances caused by the metal-cone drivers. What do you
think? Should I forget about making this kit and buy a pre-made set like the
Dynaudio Contour 1.3MKII? I do prefer a slightly forward sound, but that's
just my tastes.

Thanks,
Mal

mdryoon

unread,
Feb 17, 2002, 1:09:32 PM2/17/02
to

I own Dynaudio Contour 1.3 Mk II speakers. I also owned a pair of
Seas Odin speakers with Millennium tweeters. Crossovers came from
Zalytron, and I slightly tweaked them. The cabinets I ultimately
used were Madisound cabinets. I didn't add stuffing or extra bracing
to the Madisound cabinets. Obviously, with different cabinets and
crossovers, you can get results different from what I got. But
anyway, here goes.

Overall, both speakers sound similar to each other, but they have
significant differences. The Dynaudios have a touch more neutral
midrange and possibly better vertical dispersion. The Odins with
Millennium tweeters have a slightly more forward sound, more detail,
deeper bass and more articulate sound in the bass and midrange. Both
of them sound similar in the treble, but the Dynaudios can sound a
little hard before their tweeters reach their limits, while the
Millennium tweeters sound a bit smoother within their limits. They
both have similarly good lateral soundstage and imaging. I'm not
sure how they compare to each other in terms of soundstage depth, as
my setup doesn't allow for optimal soundstage depth from many
speakers that are meant to be freestanding, the Dynaudios and Odins
included. Not surprisingly, given my description above, the Odins
with Millennium tweeters seem to have better dynamics at both
frequency extremes.

The Dynaudio is expensive for a bookshelf speaker, but its build
quality and aural performance make its price palatable. The Odin is
a better sounding speaker and a better bargain if you don't mind DIY.

Richard Yoon

Mal P

unread,
Feb 17, 2002, 5:34:39 PM2/17/02
to
Thank you very much for the reply Richard, it's very beneficial to
hear opinions from someone who has had significant experience with
both speakers. I have a couple more questions to ask of you below, if
you don't mind.

> I own Dynaudio Contour 1.3 Mk II speakers. I also owned a pair of
> Seas Odin speakers with Millennium tweeters. Crossovers came from
> Zalytron, and I slightly tweaked them. The cabinets I ultimately
> used were Madisound cabinets. I didn't add stuffing or extra bracing
> to the Madisound cabinets. Obviously, with different cabinets and
> crossovers, you can get results different from what I got. But
> anyway, here goes.

I have a contact who designs and builds loudspeakers (as well as tube
amps) for a living, and he has agreed to build a pair of the Odins for
me, putting them into good cabinets etc using Benic caps and hand
wound inductors (following the design stated in the kit specs of
course, but with a few slight modifications). The price is more than
if I built them myself, but I think the experience he brings is worth
it.



> The Dynaudios have a touch more neutral
> midrange and possibly better vertical dispersion.

No doubt due to the MTM design of the Odins... my current speakers are
MTM in design, so hopefully, sitting in the sweet spot, it won't
present a problem.

> The Odins with
> Millennium tweeters have a slightly more forward sound, more detail,
> deeper bass and more articulate sound in the bass and midrange.

Excellent, I must admit I do prefer that ever so slightly forward
sound... I found it brings the vocals out front, and I enjoy my
violincello (my favourite instrument) with a bit more texture to it.

Both
> of them sound similar in the treble, but the Dynaudios can sound a
> little hard before their tweeters reach their limits, while the
> Millennium tweeters sound a bit smoother within their limits.

The Odin's aren't harsh at moderate volume levels (I don't listen all
that loud)? That's one of the things that irritates me about my
current (albeit excellent) speakers.

> Not surprisingly, given my description above, the Odins
> with Millennium tweeters seem to have better dynamics at both
> frequency extremes.

Oh, that sounds good. When I auditioned the Contour MkIIs they seemed
to have very good dynamics, if the Odin improves on it, that can only
be a good thing (very good for my Prof Johnson :)

> The Dynaudio is expensive for a bookshelf speaker, but its build
> quality and aural performance make its price palatable. The Odin is
> a better sounding speaker and a better bargain if you don't mind DIY.

May I ask, if you feel the Odin is a better sounding speaker, why you
keep the Dynaudios? Do you prefer the sound in some segements (such as
the neutral mid-range) of the Dynaudios to the overall differences
between the two speakers?

Thank you again for your help, it's greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,
Mal

mdryoon

unread,
Feb 18, 2002, 1:04:14 PM2/18/02
to
Mal P wrote:
>
> Thank you very much for the reply Richard, it's very beneficial to
> hear opinions from someone who has had significant experience with
> both speakers. I have a couple more questions to ask of you below, if
> you don't mind.

No problem.



> > The Dynaudios have a touch more neutral
> > midrange and possibly better vertical dispersion.
>
> No doubt due to the MTM design of the Odins... my current speakers are
> MTM in design, so hopefully, sitting in the sweet spot, it won't
> present a problem.

IME, that wasn't a problem when sitting in the sweet spot.

> > The Odins with
> > Millennium tweeters have a slightly more forward sound, more detail,
> > deeper bass and more articulate sound in the bass and midrange.
>
> Excellent, I must admit I do prefer that ever so slightly forward
> sound... I found it brings the vocals out front, and I enjoy my
> violincello (my favourite instrument) with a bit more texture to it.

I'm sure you already know this, but maybe some others who are reading
this don't, but one of the nice things about DIY is its tweakability
aspect. So if the Odin doesn't sound forward enough for you, you can
tweak it so that it will sound more forward.

> Both
> > of them sound similar in the treble, but the Dynaudios can sound a
> > little hard before their tweeters reach their limits, while the
> > Millennium tweeters sound a bit smoother within their limits.
>
> The Odin's aren't harsh at moderate volume levels (I don't listen all
> that loud)? That's one of the things that irritates me about my
> current (albeit excellent) speakers.

IMO, one of the nice things about the Odins, and to a lesser extent
the Dynaudios, is that they reveal the character of the recordings
and upstream components more than many other speakers. The Odins can
sound harsh if that's how your recording and/or system sounds. OTOH,
the Odins can also sound syrupy if that's how the recording and/or
system sounds.

> May I ask, if you feel the Odin is a better sounding speaker, why you
> keep the Dynaudios? Do you prefer the sound in some segements (such as
> the neutral mid-range) of the Dynaudios to the overall differences
> between the two speakers?

Once, I saw a pair of used Dynaudio Contour 1.3 Mk IIs for sale at a
very nice price, so I thought I would give them a chance based on my
previous experience with Dynaudio Audience series speakers. Plus,
the cabinetry of the Dynaudios looks a lot better than a Madisound
cabinet for the Odin, and that factored into my switch as well.

I haven't done a side-by-side comparison of the Dynaudio Audience
series with the Contours and Odins, so I can't tell you how much
better or worse the Audience series speakers sound.

> Thank you again for your help, it's greatly appreciated.

You're welcome. Good luck with your speaker search.

Richard Yoon

Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages