Headphones_ Closed ear models?

1 view

Stephen Greenfield

Sep 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/12/98
In looking for a quailty headphone, I've decided on a closed ear
model..

The Sennheiser 265 seems to be a good choice. Any other models to
consider?

I've heard that Grado will be coming out with a closed ear model. Is
this just rumor or should I wait?

Most of what I will listen to will be binaural CD's, classical, jazz,
no rock.

Thanks.

Stephen Greenfield Photography
mailto: sgp...@voy.net
Advertising, Architectural and Commercial Photography Services

Eivind Andersen

Sep 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/13/98
Stephen Greenfield wrote:

> In looking for a quailty headphone, I've decided on a closed ear
> model..
>
> The Sennheiser 265 seems to be a good choice. Any other models to
> consider?
>
> I've heard that Grado will be coming out with a closed ear model. Is
> this just rumor or should I wait?
>
> Most of what I will listen to will be binaural CD's, classical, jazz,
> no rock.
(Snipped)

I don't know why you've decided on a closed ear model, but I would
urge you to give the open construction Grado SR-225's a listen before
you decide. They're the same price as the Sennheisers you mentioned,
but as far as my taste go, they are even better sounding than the
Sennheiser 580's. (I haven't really listened to any similary priced
closed-ear models, sorry.)

On a slightly different note, I've just ordered the Creek OBH-11
headphone amp, and I'm anxiously waiting to hear if it's as big an
improvement to sound as everybody claims. Good luck with your purchase!

Eivind Andersen

Stephen Greenfield

Sep 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/13/98

Let me know how the amp does for you. I've been considering a
headphone amp from Headroom.

The reason I wanted closed ear design, comfort (I've been told) level
is higher, will keep out both extraneous noise, as well as keep in
music to avoid disturbing others.

I've recently discovered binaural CD's and want a good outfit. The
Grados get good reviews, but I've seen comfort issues with them.

Still open to suggestions. I'm in good shape equipment wise except
for headphones and amp.

I'm looking for the best sound for my buck. Suggestions welcome.

Thanks for your help.

Norm Strong

Sep 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/13/98

In a previous article, eia...@online.no (Eivind Andersen) says:

>Stephen Greenfield wrote:
>>
>> In looking for a quailty headphone, I've decided on a closed ear
>> model..
>>
>> The Sennheiser 265 seems to be a good choice. Any other models to
>> consider?
>>
>> I've heard that Grado will be coming out with a closed ear model. Is
>> this just rumor or should I wait?
>>
>> Most of what I will listen to will be binaural CD's, classical, jazz,
>> no rock.
>(Snipped)
>
>I don't know why you've decided on a closed ear model, but I would
>urge you to give the open construction Grado SR-225's a listen before
>you decide. They're the same price as the Sennheisers you mentioned,
>but as far as my taste go, they are even better sounding than the
>Sennheiser 580's. (I haven't really listened to any similary priced
>closed-ear models, sorry.)
>
>On a slightly different note, I've just ordered the Creek OBH-11
>headphone amp, and I'm anxiously waiting to hear if it's as big an
>improvement to sound as everybody claims. Good luck with your purchase!

Generally, speaking, if a person needs closed phones, that's what he
needs. If he has to monitor a source while it's live, there's no
substitute.

And I would recommend Sony V6.
--
Norm Strong (no...@scn.org)
2528 3lst S. Seattle WA 98l44

Iwuzhere

Sep 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/15/98
I can unreservedly recommend the Headroom Cosmic -- it's great for home and
portable use. Works like a charm with my Senny 600's....

Also take a look at the tube headphone amp, the EarMax, from Audio
Advancements (www.audioadvancements.com). Heard very good reviews of that
too.

NCRELICH

Sep 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/19/98

There is a new Beyer model closed headphone which may be in the pro series.
Also, for low cost check out the
Audio Technica phones. I have a pair of them and they are very neutral for
long
term listening. They are sold by pro places like Full Compass systems and are
under a $100. The model is the ATH-M40. Don't judge the sound of the
headphones by way of the Creek which needs some mods to neutralize it.

ncrelich
ILLINOIS