You want oversight of Cops.. How about Judges?

ScottW

Oct 18, 2021, 11:56:33 AM10/18/21

MiNe109

Oct 18, 2021, 1:37:07 PM10/18/21
Yes, and similar to a story of judicial overreach in Pennsylvania:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kids_for_cash_scandal

but he's in jail.

Different motivations, though. Misplaced morals rather than greed..

Original story here:

https://wpln.org/post/black-children-were-jailed-for-a-crime-that-doesnt-exist-almost-nothing-happened-to-the-adults-in-charge/

ScottW

Oct 18, 2021, 1:56:34 PM10/18/21
On Monday, October 18, 2021 at 10:37:07 AM UTC-7, MINe109 wrote:
> On 10/18/21 10:56 AM, ScottW wrote:
> > https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/a-tennessee-judge-created-and-used-policies-and-a-non-existent-law-to-jail-children-investigation-finds/ar-AAPD83U?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531
> >
> > A crazy story....and she's still on the bench.
> Yes, and similar to a story of judicial overreach in Pennsylvania:
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kids_for_cash_scandal
>
> but he's in jail.
>
> Different motivations, though. Misplaced morals rather than greed..

Didn't see a greed connection in either case.
Look to family courts for rampant exploitation for money.
We need some overhaul of the oversight orgs.
Seems to be mostly self-policed and ineffective.

Im thinking 3 strikes law, 3 cases (judge ruling, not jury) and you're out.
One and done on malfeasance.

ScottW

MiNe109

Oct 18, 2021, 5:49:53 PM10/18/21
On 10/18/21 12:56 PM, ScottW wrote:
> On Monday, October 18, 2021 at 10:37:07 AM UTC-7, MINe109 wrote:
>> On 10/18/21 10:56 AM, ScottW wrote:
>>> https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/a-tennessee-judge-created-and-used-policies-and-a-non-existent-law-to-jail-children-investigation-finds/ar-AAPD83U?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531
>>>
>>> A crazy story....and she's still on the bench.
>> Yes, and similar to a story of judicial overreach in Pennsylvania:
>>
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kids_for_cash_scandal
>>
>> but he's in jail.
>>
>> Different motivations, though. Misplaced morals rather than greed..
>
> Didn't see a greed connection in either case.

It's right there in the nickname: kids for cash.

https://web.archive.org/web/20090901151339/http://www.usdoj.gov/usao/pam/press_releases/Ciavarella_Conahan_01_26_09.htm

"According to the charges filed today in federal court, the defendants
engaged in fraud by taking millions of dollars from two unnamed persons
in connection with the construction, operation and expansion of juvenile
detention centers in Luzerne County and elsewhere. These payments were
made to the judges in return for discretionary acts of the judges
relating to the construction, expansion and operation of the juvenile
facilities and to the placement of juveniles in those facilities."

> Look to family courts for rampant exploitation for money.

Family courts make people pay each other, not the court. The court
system acting as a class enforcement structure to oppress the
impoverished is a different discussion.

>> Original story here:
>>
>> https://wpln.org/post/black-children-were-jailed-for-a-crime-that-doesnt-exist-almost-nothing-happened-to-the-adults-in-charge/
>
> We need some overhaul of the oversight orgs.
> Seems to be mostly self-policed and ineffective.

The Tennessee judge was elected. Ideally the electorate would act but
obviously the system wasn't up to the task.

> Im thinking 3 strikes law, 3 cases (judge ruling, not jury) and you're out.
> One and done on malfeasance.

Ongoing oversight could work.