Need sub for Dunlavy SC-III's; opinions?

Thomas Kagle

Oct 7, 1995, 3:00:00 AM10/7/95
I have a pair of Dunlavy SC-III's. These speakers sound wonderful,
but lack a little in the deep bass. (Yes, I listened to SC-IV's, but
they are too heavy to move easily, and I move speakers around a lot).
I am looking for a relatively inexpensive sub (well under $1K) to fill
in the 50 Hz-and-below range. I am not looking for thunderous bass,
just a little supplement.

Recommendations so far include the PSB Subsonic II and III, and the
smaller Velodynes, ranging from $600 to $800. I would be interested
in opinions on subs in this class that r.a.h-e readers have heard
matched to Dunlavy's or speakers with similar design priorities (like
Thiels, etc.).

The Dunlavy's are new to me, having been a Magnepan owner for years.
I would appreciate placement/room treatment suggestions from long-time
owners. I'm especially interested in optimum listening distance vs.
distance between speakers. It's difficult to have a large angle
between the speakers _and_ a long distance from speaker to listener
unless you have a very large room...what are the tradeoffs?

Thanks for all opinions!

Thomas Kagle tho...@intermed.com

Robert Deutsch

Oct 8, 1995, 3:00:00 AM10/8/95
tho...@intermed.com (Thomas Kagle) wrote:

>I have a pair of Dunlavy SC-III's. These speakers sound wonderful,
>but lack a little in the deep bass. (Yes, I listened to SC-IV's, but
>they are too heavy to move easily, and I move speakers around a lot).
>I am looking for a relatively inexpensive sub (well under $1K) to fill
>in the 50 Hz-and-below range. I am not looking for thunderous bass,
>just a little supplement.

The sub you want is the HSU Research HRSW12V---see my review in the
current issue of the Stereophile Guide To Home Theater. It works very
well with Dunlavy SC-I's and, although I haven't tried this particular
combination, I think it would be a good match with SC-III's. Since
the SC-III's go pretty low already, I would use a low-pass crossover
module set much lower than the standard 91Hz, i.e., 50Hz or lower.
Also, I would run the SC-III's full-range rather than going through
the HSU's high-pass filter, to make sure that the clarity of the
SC-III is not interfered with.

Happy Listening!

--Bob Deutsch
---
Bob Deutsch
rdeu...@yorku.ca

SteveG33

Oct 11, 1995, 3:00:00 AM10/11/95
I have a pair of SC-IIIs, and I use a Velodyne ULD-15 as a sub. I run
the Dunlavys full-range, and cross-in the sub at 35 Hz, through a
modification to the crossover. It works wonderfully. I'd also suggest
trying the new NHT 3 sub, which has variable crossover frequency and
sounds very tight and musical.

George Katzos

Feb 3, 2022, 1:14:33 PM2/3/22
Στις Τετάρτη 11 Οκτωβρίου 1995 στις 9:00:00 π.μ. UTC+2, ο χρήστης SteveG33 έγραψε:

George Katzos

Jun 6, 2022, 9:25:50 AM6/6/22