Tip-Cutting Pliers

Peter Wieck

Jul 17, 2019, 11:10:10 AM7/17/19
https://www.ebay.com/p/Crescent-USA-Made-Old-Stock-4-1-2-Needle-Nose-Tip-Cutting-Wiring-Pliers/28027599507

Not a bad price for a US-made tool. And excellent for reaching-and-clipping.

I just purchased three (3) in addition to the two (2) already in use.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

Trevor Wilson

Jul 18, 2019, 12:05:57 PM7/18/19
**Sold out. My favourite American side cutters were made by the Diamond
Tool and Horseshoe Company (really!). Made in Duluth Minnesota.
Allegedly, the steel is called Diamalloy™. Tough, clean cutting and the
edge lasts a very long time. Even better, they sold for about AUS$50.00,
which was around 1/3rd the cost of the nearest, Swedish equivalents
(though the Swedish ones are inferior). Unfortunately, they're also very
difficult to sharpen. Even more unfortunately, Cooper Tools bought the
company and ceased production. Bastards.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

---

Peter Wieck

Jul 18, 2019, 1:37:39 PM7/18/19
https://www.amazon.com/Channellock-349-Premium-Wiremaster-Linesman/dp/B00004SBD5

I purchased my pair 49 years ago when I started working as an electrician while in college. Still have it. Still works fine. Box Joint - not common.

Peter Wieck

Jul 18, 2019, 1:37:43 PM7/18/19
https://www.amazon.com/Xcelite-4-5-Flush-Cut-Pliers/dp/B01JB61MUA

These come close - and I do keep a pair at our summer house for the occasional need. But the original Cooper 775 is the best.

dpierce.ca...@gmail.com

Jul 24, 2019, 10:04:58 AM7/24/19
On Wednesday, July 17, 2019 at 11:10:10 AM UTC-4, Peter Wieck wrote:
> https://www.ebay.com/p/Crescent-USA-Made-Old-Stock-4-1-2-Needle-Nose-Tip-Cutting-Wiring-Pliers/28027599507
>
> Not a bad price for a US-made tool. And excellent for reaching-and-clipping.
>
> I just purchased three (3) in addition to the two (2) already in use.

Well, clearly these are NOT audiophile-grade tip-cutting pliers.
I went out and got a pair and used them on the interconnects
between my $23,000 passive preamp and my $72,000 all-diode
power amp. I immediately heard a subtle,dramatic difference
in the sound: a barely audible huge change in imaging, depth and
soundstage, and a palpable change in micro-dynamics. On the up side,
there was a noticeable reduction in noise and graininess.

Don't preach to me that these changes don't exist. I wouldn't spend,
uhm, (23,000 + 72,000, ..) over a million dollars! so I couldn't
hear differences in tip-cutting pliers.

If you can't hear the difference, then you clearly haven't spent
enough on your manho... I mean, system.

Peter Wieck

Jul 24, 2019, 1:15:11 PM7/24/19
How about if they were Cryo-Treated?

There is a tank of liquid nitrogen upstairs in the teaching lab....