A new turntable for an old SME V tonearm.

Igor Urisman

Nov 15, 2023, 4:50:13 PM11/15/23
The motor on my 90's TNT Mk1 just died. VPI stopped making this old motor decades ago and they want me to upgrade at the cost of a decent new turntable. Which is what I'd rather do, than ending up with too much of a turntable. Over the years I've become less ambitions and would prefer something closer to the LP12 than the current TNT. But I want to keep the (terrific) SME V tonearm. Would anyone be able to recommend a compatible reasonably priced turntable that works well with SME V?

Thanks in advance,
—Igor.

Peter Wieck

Nov 16, 2023, 4:13:59 PM11/16/23
I am finding stuff in the $2,000 - $4,000 range. Is that within your budget?

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

Trevor Wilson

Nov 20, 2023, 8:50:20 PM11/20/23
**You can't go wrong with a Denon quartz locked direct drive. One of the
best motors in the business. Rock solid speed, very low W&F and rumble.
A DP-55M can be sourced at a reasonable price. Higher end Denons exhibit
superior specs. Two things:

* The SME V is a wonderful arm.
* DO NOT be tempted to buy a non-quartz locked direct drive of any
manufacture (including Denon).
* A suitable mounting may be required for the Denons, as they lack
decent suspension.

Well, that's 3.

FWIW: My daily turntable is a Denon DP-59L. Fabulous turntable, with a
decent, but not brilliant, arm.

--
Trevor Wilson