Opinions sought on Mission 752 and 753 Speakers

CNoblet

Jul 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/24/96

I am currently auditioning these two Mission loudspeakers, but am
restricted to small (tiny?) demonstration rooms.

The (European) dealer is able to provide a decent approximation of my
related equipment (Sony CDP-XE1ES cd player, Thorens TD320mkII
turntable w/Audio- Technica ML150 cartridge and Luxman LV-105 amp).
My problem is that I am unable to audition these speakers in a room
anywhere near the size of my home listening room (25x14x10 with a
large opening into a hall). Can anyone share their experience with
how either or both of these speakers fare in larger rooms?

BTW, I've compared the Missions to Castle Severns (way too bright!)
B&W CDM2s (loose steam about 10 minutes into a cut played at fairly
loud volume in the small listening room), my own Maggie SMGa's (the
Missions are more dynamic, of course, but also more tonally natural
and palpable, and the 753s throw a comparably sized and better focused
image).

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Chris Noblet

Stephen Burrows

Dec 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/1/96

cno...@aol.com (CNoblet) wrote:

Hi

I had the opportunity to "live" with a set of 753's for 6 months,
using a Cyrus 3 +PSX, Arcam Alpha 6, Audioquest Blue Midnight cable, I
was very happy with the 3D soundstage and clarity that the system
showed, but I did find myself being very prone to disecting every
album I have [i.e there was so much detail it was almost clinical], so
at a friends advise I temporarily swapped them for a set of Linn
Keilegh's, Although they didn't have quite the same detail the
dynamics were just as good, but the bass definition and speed was much
better, and were a much better speaker to live with.
I swapped the speakers at this stage and have never
regretted it, And now find myself enjoying the musicality of the
speakers and not just their out and out sonic ability

Hope this helps
Steve.

Sean Townsend

Dec 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/3/96

> cno...@aol.com (CNoblet) wrote:

> >I am currently auditioning these two Mission loudspeakers, but am
> >restricted to small (tiny?) demonstration rooms.

> >BTW, I've compared the Missions to Castle Severns (way too bright!)

> >B&W CDM2s (loose steam about 10 minutes into a cut played at fairly
> >loud volume in the small listening room), my own Maggie SMGa's (the
> >Missions are more dynamic, of course, but also more tonally natural
> >and palpable, and the 753s throw a comparably sized and better focused
> >image).

My opinion is that the Mission 75whatever range are among the best
speakers for the money. Their beauty is that they are supremely built,
punchy, detailed, dynamic and fast. You won't get a cosy warm sound
from them but if you're after speakers that are built to cope with
almost anything then you could certainly do worse. For larger rooms
the 752s or 753s would be a sensible choice. I have been putting my
small 751s through their paces for two years now and am still very
pleased. They even perform excellently with my now pseudo-high-end set
up. Consider the 752s seriously if in general you like the way they
sound.

Sean.

Van Camp Geert

Dec 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/3/96

Sean Townsend <sea...@essex.ac.uk> wrote in article
<581ne7$p...@agate.berkeley.edu>...
> > cno...@aol.com (CNoblet) wrote:

> > >I am currently auditioning these two Mission loudspeakers, but am

> > >restricted to small (tiny?) demonstration rooms..

> > >BTW, I've compared the Missions to Castle Severns (way too bright!)
> > >B&W CDM2s (loose steam about 10 minutes into a cut played at fairly
> > >loud volume in the small listening room), my own Maggie SMGa's (the
> > >Missions are more dynamic, of course, but also more tonally natural
> > >and palpable, and the 753s throw a comparably sized and better focused
> > >image).

I've been owning the 753's for a year now.

I think they are the best buy in that pricerange. The cabinets
construction and finish is exeptional.

They deliver very good soundstaging and can go really loud.

The sound is very clean and neutral. The low-end is very dry and well
controled. I had to get used to that because my first impression was
that they where lacking bass. However, after listening to some
well-engineerd recordings and making comparisations to proffesional
studiomonitors, I came to the conclusion that they bass-reproduction
was very accurate.

I made a AB-listening test with B&W P6's, which are in the same
pricerange, and the B&W's just sounded like a car-boom-box.

The 752's and 753's have a slightly prominent sounding treble, which
make them sound a bit could. With rockmusic (electric guitars) I
experience some listening fatigue. Their presentation is maybe also to
upfront for classical music. I've posted an news-message concerning
this and I received a few messages of people who had the same
experience.

On the other hand, the explicit midrange makes them sound formidable
on vocals. This makes them well suited for acoustic bleus and jazz.

The acoustics of your listening room have ofcourse a big influence on
the treble-response. I've heard the 753's in a room with a lot of
carpet and curtains and the treble-response whas just perfect for that
room.

If possible you chould try the speakers in your home.

My room is 5m x 5m and I think that size is necessary for the 753's,
because you need about three to for meters distance for the the sound
of the seperate drivers to cohere.

If your room is smaller the 752's are a better choice.

In bigger rooms you need the extra bass that the 753's deliver.

Geert

Pat Glynn

Dec 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/4/96

I would agree totally that the 753s were almost overly incisive almost
to the point of fatigue. I felt that the 753s, even firing straight-on
in my 14' x 23' room , were just to bright to handle for long periods
of time. I had the same experience with Thiel 1.5s. I am moving back
to Spendors or perhaps to the Paradigm Reference Studio 60 or 80 which
floored me when i heard them recently. Actually my current Paradigm
Studio 100s in another larger room are excellent.

[ quoted text deleted -- jwd ]

cno...@aol.com

Dec 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/4/96

I wound up purchasing the Mission 752s. I, too, had trouble with a
bright, clinical treble until I lined the phase ring/horn around the
tweeter with a thin layer of felt. Problem solved, enjoyability
increased immensely, with no loss of detail. I'm glad you're enjoying
your Linns, but am passing this along in case you have any friends who
find their 752 or 753 loudspeakers too bright or harsh.

Chris

Dominic Ellis

Dec 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/4/96

I don't know if all of the Mission speakers in the 75 range are being
revamped, but the 751 series has been replaced by the 751 Freedoms
which feature a new tweeter that is far smoother than that of the
earlier version. I bought pair of 751 Freedoms (for use with a Cyrus
Dad III cd player and Linn Majik integrated amp) a couple months ago,
shortly after they came out, and I love them. If you're looking at the
752 and 753 it might be worth your while to find out if they are going
to receive similar upgrades given comments on the harshness of their
treble. Just a thought,

Dominic

Stewart Pinkerton

Dec 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/5/96

cno...@aol.com (CNoblet) wrote:

>>I am currently auditioning these two Mission loudspeakers, but am

>>restricted to small (tiny?) demonstration rooms.

>>The (European) dealer is able to provide a decent approximation of my
>>related equipment (Sony CDP-XE1ES cd player, Thorens TD320mkII
>>turntable w/Audio- Technica ML150 cartridge and Luxman LV-105 amp).
>>My problem is that I am unable to audition these speakers in a room
>>anywhere near the size of my home listening room (25x14x10 with a
>>large opening into a hall). Can anyone share their experience with
>>how either or both of these speakers fare in larger rooms?

>>BTW, I've compared the Missions to Castle Severns (way too bright!)

>>B&W CDM2s (loose steam about 10 minutes into a cut played at fairly
>>loud volume in the small listening room), my own Maggie SMGa's (the
>>Missions are more dynamic, of course, but also more tonally natural
>>and palpable, and the 753s throw a comparably sized and better focused
>>image).

You should be aware that there are new versions of these speakers with
several improvements, principally a new silk dome tweeter which
effectively cures the main problem with the old 75 series. The 752 is
greatly improved in its new 'Freedom' guise and is now one of the best
speakers available in the 600 UK pounds region, wonderfully natural on
voice and able to handle large orchestral pieces with aplomb.
Incidentally, the CDM1 is a LOT better than the CDM2.

--

Stewart Pinkerton | If you can't measure what you're making,
A S P Consulting | how do you know when you've got it made?

"I canna change the laws o' physics" - the other Scotty

Simon Stroughair

Dec 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/5/96

Dominic Ellis <domini...@exeter.oxford.ac.uk> writes:

>If you're looking at the 752 and 753 it might be worth your while to
>find out if they are going to receive similar upgrades given comments
>on the harshness of their treble. Just a thought,

Both have been upgraded to "Freedom" status (with a nice new finish
available as well). I'm not sure what the verdict is but I seem to
remember a review saying that treble was sweeter. For what it's worth
the reviews always say that the Freedoms are better than the
originals.

--
# Simon Stroughair # "Just because I don't care #
# sis...@maths.tcd.ie # doesn't mean I don't understand" #

Thorsten "EZEE" Loesch

Dec 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/6/96

Hi!

> I don't know if all of the Mission speakers in the 75 range are being
> revamped, but the 751 series has been replaced by the 751 Freedoms
> which feature a new tweeter that is far smoother than that of the
> earlier version.

Yes, all Mission &5 models are Freedom now. My personal opinion of the
753 (not the Freedom Model was not so good) with the improved tweeter
they may very well be worth the while. I would however go straight to
the Freedom 4. This baby has got a 6.5" HD-A Bass-Midrange, a bandpass
loaded 8" Subwoofer and the "freedom" silk-dome tweeter.

Have a look at www.mission.co.uk.

Regards Thorsten

Marmite Sandwich

Jun 30, 2023, 8:11:39 AM6/30/23
Hi Chris et al,
Some years later (!), I am beginning to experience the over bright tweeter effect with this speaker (original 752), which I have owned for 25 years. This has come to light as a consequence of changing my source to a Cambridge Audio CXN V2 which has an onboard DAC, and which has highlighted the high frequency response which I had never noticed before. So my question is - can you elaborate on the felt-round-the-tweeter modification which you made? I might try it, but not sure what is involved.
Regards,
Marmite