Conrad Johnson transistor amps

howie....@gmail.com

Jun 10, 2023, 6:48:26 PM6/10/23
It all started in 2021 when I bought an MF 80. I call it my American gentleman. It’s like one of those characters in a Henry James novel - beautiful tone, rather polite and well bred.

It’s big brother arrived today, and my first impression is that he’s still a gentleman, but he also plays very high standard basketball. I mean, he can slam dunk

There are some other solid state amps in the CJ range, but they’re very rare here in the UK - and they look seriously expensive.

Oh by the way, I’ve been using the MF80 with Rogers JR 149s, and the MF200 is there now. The plan is to move the 200 with some Quad ESL 63s.

Peter Wieck

Jun 11, 2023, 7:32:11 AM6/11/23
For those who have never experienced a brute-force power amp, the first time is usually quite revealing, Keep in mind that whereas CJ makes good amps, you are hearing the headroom as much as anything else.

I won't imply that brute-force devices are common on this side of the pond, But I keep two, as I favor power-pig speakers in somewhat large rooms, Usually, I look for units that are damaged or not working and restore them. That can be as simple as a few cold-solders, or as complicated as a substantial rebuild - but the parts are inexpensive, only the time is dear,

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA