Hey, it's still sort-of around

Thomas Krueger

Jan 21, 2022, 3:33:45 PMJan 21
When I created this group in the early 90s, I certainly never expected it to survive the death of USENET. Nice that some of you still come around.

I pretty much just use Parasound equipment these days though I have a Stax DAC-Talent feeding the analog, which its own minor but good-sounding upgrades.

Tom

Peter Wieck

Jan 22, 2022, 9:08:09 AMJan 22
Some of us, despite our advanced age, still dabble in the hobby. My 'specialty' if you will, is middle-of-the-road vintage equipment of US and/or Euro origins that also lends itself to good maintenance, tweaking, and reliable operation. Revox, Dynaco, AR, Magnepan, Harman Kardon (Citation), Scott, Rabco and along those lines. About 1/3 tube, 2/4 solid-state. I also retain most of my hearing, fine motor skills and eyesight, so it remains good fun and a relatively inexpensive hobby. Keeps me close to home, doesn't eat, and is cheaper than another woman - or so my wife says.

Recent acquisitions along those lines are a 1971 vintage US-made AR tuner that is electronically excellent, cosmetically challenged, and a Sony CD changer c.1994 with remote and in excellent working condition. Both for sparrow-feed. After cleaning and tweaking, these will join a pair of AR speakers and an AR integrated amp as a housewarming present for a daughter of a good friend. She likes vintage equipment (as a tenured professor of medieval studies, that is no surprise), and this fills the bill.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

Tobiah

Feb 24, 2022, 5:12:36 PMFeb 24
On 1/21/22 12:13, Thomas Krueger wrote:
> When I created this group in the early 90s, I certainly never
> expected it to survive the death of USENET. Nice that some of you
> still come around.

Still some ghosts in the hall.

DManzaluni

Oct 20, 2022, 4:10:56 PMOct 20
What is interesting is how much of the really good stuff is now available at dirt cheap prices if you look in the right places!

Over the last few years I have picked up FREE, a Nakamichi AV2, a Stasis amp, a Linn DVD player with high end amp &Preamp stages, a Carver M500T power amp, an Adcom GFA535/GTP500 and some ultra early Bose 901 speakers with the rare chestnut (pre-beige) grille-cloth, some higher end Canton and Infinite Slope floor standing speakers etc etc

The only downside is that it has become a bit more difficult to realise any value in my MR71?

Peter Wieck

Oct 21, 2022, 12:41:51 PMOct 21
There is a lot of vintage stuff and often in the oddest of places. I have stated repeatedly that there is enough legacy equipment out there to satisfy the entire hobby in perpetuity, with a good deal left over. Even the 'good stuff'. I have found very good stuff from barns outside Berwick, PA (McIntosh) to open-air souks in Khobar, SA (Revox, AR & Dynaco).

The trick is to avoid 'what is in style' at that moment, focusing on otherwise excellent items not then (or yet) popular.

Question: How much did the former owner of the Bose 901s pay you to take them? ;-)>