Re: Power banks for stereo receivers anyone?

Trevor Wilson

Dec 28, 2022, 1:48:05 PM12/28/22
On 28/12/2022 2:08 pm, super70s wrote:
> I have a late '90s vintage Sony receiver that I like pretty well. The
> only problem is when the power goes out and then comes back on the
> receiver automatically turns on in the TUNER mode and isn't tuned into
> any particular station, just loud static. Also, it isn't smart enough to
> remember the radio station pre-sets I've entered in, and I have to reset
> them all over again.
>
> I was just wondering if anyone has experience with power banks that will
> automatically keep power to a stereo receiver during a power outage, if
> there is such a beast? Not looking for something really huge or that
> costs an arm and a leg.
>
> The specs for the receiver state its power requirements are "120 V AC,
> 60 kHz" and its power consumption is "186 W" for the USA model, which I
> guess is pretty common.
>
> From what I've learned from a little investigation such a power bank
> needs to have "pass-through" charging to be able to stay charged and
> discharge power at the same time, not all power banks can do this.
>
> TIA for you help.

**A quick analysis of the schematic/specs for your Sony will enable us
to provide a sensible answer to your question. Unfortunately, you
declined to provide vital information to allow anyone to assist you.

We need to know the model number of your Sony.

It is highly likely that the memory capacitor has aged such that it now
requires replacement. An easy enough job, but impossible without knowing
which Sony you have.

Forget about "power bank" silliness (whatever that means) and repair the
problem. A competent tech should be able to solve the problem quickly
and painlessly.

Dick Pierce

Dec 28, 2022, 3:43:08 PM12/28/22
On Wednesday, December 28, 2022 at 1:48:05 PM UTC-5, Trevor Wilson wrote:
> On 28/12/2022 2:08 pm, super70s wrote:
> > I have a late '90s vintage Sony receiver that I like pretty well. The
> > only problem is when the power goes out and then comes back on the
> > receiver automatically turns on in the TUNER mode and isn't tuned into
> > any particular station, just loud static. Also, it isn't smart enough to
> > remember the radio station pre-sets I've entered in, and I have to reset
> > them all over again.
> >
> > I was just wondering if anyone has experience with power banks that will
> > automatically keep power to a stereo receiver during a power outage, if
> > there is such a beast? Not looking for something really huge or that
> > costs an arm and a leg.
> >
> > The specs for the receiver state its power requirements are "120 V AC,
> > 60 kHz" and its power consumption is "186 W" for the USA model, which I
> > guess is pretty common.
> >
> > From what I've learned from a little investigation such a power bank
> > needs to have "pass-through" charging to be able to stay charged and
> > discharge power at the same time, not all power banks can do this.

Almost every single "UPS" on the market does this.

> **A quick analysis of the schematic/specs for your Sony will enable us
> to provide a sensible answer to your question. Unfortunately, you
> declined to provide vital information to allow anyone to assist you.
>
> We need to know the model number of your Sony.
>
> It is highly likely that the memory capacitor has aged such that it now
> requires replacement. An easy enough job, but impossible without knowing
> which Sony you have.

Agreed.

> Forget about "power bank" silliness (whatever that means) and repair the
> problem.

Totally agreed. Assuming the consumption is, as you stated, a suitably
size UPS (Uninteruptable Power SUpply, what you're calling a "power bank")
is an absurdly expensive solution to what is likely a much simpler problem,
as Trevor is suggestiing. Let's see why.

Assuming your 186 watt consumption is correct (actually, let's call it
200 watts for a safe margin), how long a power outage do you need
for this to handle? Coversely, how much can you afford and how
long will that money get you?

Well, under $200 might get you perhaps an hour of backup, best case
(assuming your stereo is on and running: if it's off, maybe a day). This would
be for a 1000 VA capacity

Now, these contrivances are NOT meant for subsitute power of the kind you're
looking for. They're intended to give whatever system they are protecting enough
time (maybe 10 minutes) to save all data and do an orderly shutdown or
enough time for the REAL backup power to come up and stabilize to keep
things running (NB: this what the boys at Chernobyl were trying to test when
the totally f*cked things up in a gigantic way).

No, Trevor has it right: fix the problem not the symptoms.

--
Dick Pierce

Trevor Wilson

Dec 28, 2022, 9:34:02 PM12/28/22
On 29/12/2022 7:00 am, super70s wrote:
> In article <k13fvi...@mid.individual.net>,
> I'm not sure if this particular model (STR-D365) ever had a "memory
> capacitor" to begin with, there's nothing mentioned in the manual about
> it remembering radio station presets after a power outage.

**Of course. Replacing the memory capacitor is a job for a professional.
The PCB on which the capacitor is mounted has VERY fine traces and great
care must be taken to replace that capacitor.

FWIW: The capacitor which must be replaced is PCB designation: C201. It
is a 0.22F/5.5 Volt type.

> I also happen to own its "big brother" from that line, STR-D615, and it
> doesn't have those same problems.

**That's probably because it's memory capacitor is still OK. Some last
for many decades. Some don't.

Trevor Wilson

Dec 29, 2022, 8:04:36 AM12/29/22
On 29/12/2022 10:08 am, super70s wrote:
> In article <9d2649b1-f151-42e5...@googlegroups.com>,
> Dick Pierce <dpierce.ca...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Assuming your 186 watt consumption is correct (actually, let's call it
>> 200 watts for a safe margin), how long a power outage do you need
>> for this to handle? Coversely, how much can you afford and how
>> long will that money get you?
>>
>> Well, under $200 might get you perhaps an hour of backup, best case
>> (assuming your stereo is on and running: if it's off, maybe a day). This would
>> be for a 1000 VA capacity
>
> I could live with only an hour of backup, that would be better than
> nothing. Many times when a power outage happens it's only a brief one.
> This receiver I'm talking about seems to lose all settings even when the
> outage is only a few minutes.
>
> We had one of those "rolling blackouts" this past weekend due to the
> unusually cold weather and it was only for 15 minutes. (The Tennessee
> Valley Authority [TVA] services the power companies in my area, they've
> since apologized and promised to see what they can do to prevent it from
> happening again.)
>
> I just thought someone in the audiophile world might have a setup for
> uninterrupted power to some vintage equipment they might own (which
> often doesn't have the "memory capacitor" technology) for whatever
> reason.

**I've been working on audio equipment professionally for a very long
time. Ever since microprocessors were incorporated into products, those
products have usually employed some kind of memory capacitor, or battery
back-up. That means almost any digitally tuner radio built after
1978-ish has some kind of back-up. Your amp dates from the 1990s, which
means the technology was quite mature by the time it was built.

Trevor Wilson

Dec 29, 2022, 2:58:26 PM12/29/22
On 29/12/2022 5:32 pm, super70s wrote:
> In article <k147sl...@mid.individual.net>,
> Like I said, I don't think the Sony STR-D365 has a memory capacitor or
> whatever it takes to remember station pre-sets when the power is
> interrupted so there's nothing to replace.

**Not only have I explained to you that ALL such equipment, like yours,
does, indeed, employ some kind of system for the volatile memory inside
the CPU to 'remember' temporary data (like the most recent settings,
radio stations, etc), but I have provided the circuit designation number
(C201) and part type (0.22F/5.5V) that is inside the Sony STR-D365. The
part is faulty. Have it replaced and your problem will be solved.

I have no idea why you're arguing with me. I actually know what I am
talking about.