Re: Bill Maher Hits NFL Over Black National Anthem Performance: "We Should Have One National Anthem"

Adam H. Kerman

Sep 16, 2021, 7:42:12 AM9/16/21
Ian J. Ball <IJB...@mac.invalid> wrote:
>On 2021-09-15 15:48:03 +0000, David Johnston said:

>>>. . .

>>So get rid of "America The Beautiful", "God Bless America", "My Country
>>Tis Of Thee" and "This Land Is Your Land"...

>Sold!

>I hate all of those, esp. the last two.

Has anyone ever noticed that Ian doesn't know shit?

The lyrics of America the Beautiful were inspired by a trip its composer
took around the country.

God Bless America is written by the most patriotic songwriter of them
all Irving Berlin, as his family escaped the Tsar and immigrated. He was
a young child. No one used to be more patriotic than an immigrant.

My County 'Tis of Thee is, well, God Save the King. Give it back to the
British but they wrote it and you can't get rid of it.

Woodie Guthrie wrote This Land Is Your Land, and of course, it had
several verses in it (that are rarely sung) decrying privatizing land,
keeping it out of use, and its connection with poverty. You know,
Georgism.

I suppose you despise It's a Grand Old Flag (George M. Cohan) too.