Lynch tells gay community: 'We stand with you'

thinbl...@gmail.com

Jun 21, 2016, 4:15:09 PM6/21/16
Lynch tells gay community: 'We stand with you'
Updated: Jun 21, 2016
http://www.wftv.com/news/local/lynch-tells-gay-community-we-stand-with-you/354980724

ORLANDO, Fla. — U.S. Attorney General Loretta Lynch has told the gay community "we stand with you" and insisted that investigators are continuing to follow leads on the gunman and mass shooting at the Pulse nightclub.

She made the comments at a news conference Tuesday in Orlando, where she traveled to meet with prosecutors, first responders and victims of the worst mass shooting in modern U.S. history.

She said investigators will "go back ... and see if there's anything we could have missed or anything we could have done better" in terms of spotting gunman Omar Mateen as a threat.

She wouldn't give specifics about the investigation or a possible motive. She said "people often act out of more than one motivation" and called the June 12 massacre at the gay club "clearly an act of terror and an act of hate."

She added that a motive may never be known.

-------------

The Pretender
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5pECaW-VMI

thinbl...@gmail.com

Jun 21, 2016, 7:04:30 PM6/21/16
> The Pretender
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5pECaW-VMI

As a proud American always eager to assist law enforcement solve a crime, ( and with a nym like Thin Blue Mime https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Thin_Blue_Line ) I was shaken by the recent statement made in Orlando Florida, by U.S. Attorney General Loretta Lynch, the highest ranking law enforcement officer in the United States. Lynch said on June 21, 2016, "people often act out of more than one motivation" and called the June 12 massacre at the gay club "clearly an act of terror and an act of hate." She added that a motive may never be known.

Strangely, Lynch's statement echoed a statement made a week earlier in the New York Times on June 14, 2016 when correspondent Peter Bergen wrote, " it’s unlikely that anything will ever really explain why he did what he did. Perhaps that says something about the nature of evil"

So with a quick swipe, this recent act of terror is brushed away with an explanation there is no motive, just hate and evil, very similar to George W Bush's statement on September 20, 2001 when he said, "They hate us for our freedoms"

Isn't it law enforcement's job to solve crimes and prevent crimes when possible? Knowing the motivation for a heinous crime might aid in preventing future hideous atrocities. So understanding the motivation for a crime, while not necessary to prove guilt in a court of law for a conviction, would be a giant step forward in preventing similar crimes in the future. Makes sense, right?

With those thoughts in mind, I decided to compile a partial list of terror crimes and the motivation for those crimes as stated by the offenders. Maybe there is a common thread that can be found to assist law enforcement in the future.

Motive Stated for Attacks:

Omar Mateen - Orlando Shooter 2016
‘I’m doing this to protest the U.S. bombing in Syria and Iraq and the killing of women and children… I’m doing this in solidarity with the Tsarnaev brothers and Moner Abu-Salha.’”
http://www.alternet.org/grayzone-project/law-enforcement-stonewalls-media-attempts-verify-narrative-orlando-shooters-motives

Timothy McVeigh - Oklahoma City Federal Building Bombing 1995
"he committed the act mostly out of revenge because of the Waco assault, but he also wanted to make a political statement about the role of the federal government and protest the use of force against the citizens."
http://www.vanityfair.com/news/2001/09/mcveigh200109
http://www.foxnews.com/story/2001/04/26/mcveigh-apr-26-letter-to-fox-news.html

Ramzi Yousef - 1993 World Trade Center Bombing
"It is very painful to innocent people and very painful for anyone to lose a close relative or a friend, but it was necessary. This is what it takes to make you feel the pain which you are causing to other people."
http://www.nytimes.com/1998/01/09/nyregion/mastermind-gets-life-for-bombing-of-trade-center.html

9/11 Attackers - September 11, 2001
US foreign policy bias for Israel in the Israeli-Palestinian conflict and US government support for other oppressive regimes in the Middle East.
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2006/9/9/244452/-

Tsarnaev Brothers - Boston Marathon Bombing 2013
Tsarnaev scrawled the motive for the attack inside the boat, he referred to US wars in Muslim countries and wrote, "Stop killing our innocent people and we will stop."
http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/mar/02/boston-bombing-pretrial-hearing-suspect-boat-evidence

Paris Attack - November 2015
the suicide bombers inside Paris' Bataclan concert hall demanded of police last Nov 13: "You kill our wives, our brothers, our kids, so we do the same."
https://twitter.com/rcallimachi/status/744937660121235456

Sirhan Sirhan - Robert F Kennedy Assassin 1968
"feeling betrayed by what he described as RFK’s hypocrisy in acting to end the Vietnam War, “and in the next breath sending more bombs and Phantom jets to Israel to kill human beings – Palestinians." He believed he was saving his people from destruction.
http://www.jpost.com/Features/In-Thespotlight/This-Week-in-History-RFK-is-shot-a-year-after-Six-Day-War

----------------

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_VsvZmIWxY

Alan Smithee

Jun 22, 2016, 12:41:06 AM6/22/16
On 06/21/2016 08:04 PM, thinbl...@gmail.com wrote:
> As a proud American always eager to assist law enforcement solve a crime,

Proud of what?

> Isn't it law enforcement's job to solve crimes and prevent crimes when possible?

No. You're thinking of the Avengers and The Justice League. Law
enforcement's job is to enforce laws, and fill out forms *after* the law
has been broken.

> Knowing the motivation for a heinous crime might aid in preventing future hideous atrocities.

Hasn't happened so far. Also, crime and war (real or imaginary) are two
of the top income producers. If peace ever broke out you'd see a huge
number of people suddenly unemployed.

> So understanding the motivation for a crime, while not necessary to prove guilt in a court of law
> for a conviction, would be a giant step forward in preventing similar crimes in the future.

Motivations: anger, hate, revenge, boredom, bigotry. Understanding stops
these how??? Perhaps if everyone smoked-up and got wasted...

> Makes sense, right?

Uh...

thinbl...@gmail.com

Jul 10, 2016, 10:30:24 PM7/10/16
Micah Xavier Johnson - Dallas, July 2016
In the short purported manifesto, the writer points to police shootings of black Americans as his motivation.
http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/07/08/485202505/dallas-police-officers-killed-by-snipers-what-we-know-friday

----------------

"They hate us for our freedom"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQIWhqjWhpo

thinbl...@gmail.com

Oct 4, 2017, 3:30:47 PM10/4/17
On Tuesday, June 21, 2016 at 7:04:30 PM UTC-4, thinbl...@gmail.com wrote:
In the opening monologue to his late-night TV show on Monday, an emotional Jimmy Kimmel channeled what millions of Americans were thinking about the gun massacre on the Las Vegas Strip that killed at least 58 people and injured more than 500 others. Kimmel described it as an inexplicable attack by “a very sick person” with an “insane voice in his head.” On the brink of tears, Kimmel said, “We wonder why, even though there’s probably no way to know why a human being would do something like this.”

It was a powerful moment, and yet these widely shared comments from Kimmel also reinforced a misconception that invariably marks the national discourse in the aftermath of indiscriminate mass shootings: that the perpetrator was severely mentally ill, and somehow just “snapped” and went on a killing spree. Law enforcement investigators and journalists have found no record of mental illness for 64-year-old Stephen Paddock, whom police found dead from a self-inflicted gunshot wound. And as with the vast majority of mass shooters, there is substantial evidence showing that Paddock deliberately planned the massacre over a lengthy period of time and then methodically carried it out.

Sunday’s massacre resulted in the highest injury and death toll of any mass shooting in modern US history. As with most of these attacks, untangling motive can be quite complicated. That certainly is the case with Paddock, a former government worker, accountant, and itinerant high-stakes gambler whose personal background was a mysteriously blank slate in an initial wave of media reports.

But if determining why a mass shooter struck can be elusive, documenting how he cultivated and carried out his plans—and how insights into those behavioral patterns can help prevent other attacks—is a different story. Calling Paddock a “crazed lunatic full of hate,” as the Las Vegas mayor did, or “a very, very sick individual,” as President Donald Trump did, may offer some catharsis. But it isn’t very helpful for understanding such crimes.

The Las Vegas Shooter Didn’t Just “Snap.” They Never Do.
Here’s what helps explain the meticulously planned massacre.
MARK FOLLMAN OCT. 4, 2017
http://www.motherjones.com/crime-justice/2017/10/the-las-vegas-shooter-didnt-just-snap-they-never-do/

thinbl...@gmail.com

Oct 4, 2017, 3:35:35 PM10/4/17
On Wednesday, October 4, 2017 at 3:30:47 PM UTC-4, thinbl...@gmail.com wrote:
> [...]
> >
> > So with a quick swipe, this recent act of terror is brushed away with an explanation there is no motive, just hate and evil, very similar to George W Bush's statement on September 20, 2001 when he said, "They hate us for our freedoms"
> >
> > Isn't it law enforcement's job to solve crimes and prevent crimes when possible? Knowing the motivation for a heinous crime might aid in preventing future hideous atrocities. So understanding the motivation for a crime, while not necessary to prove guilt in a court of law for a conviction, would be a giant step forward in preventing similar crimes in the future. Makes sense, right?

> > With those thoughts in mind, I decided to compile a partial list of terror crimes and the motivation for those crimes as stated by the offenders. Maybe there is a common thread that can be found to assist law enforcement in the future.

Here are some of the key details known so far about Paddock’s attack—and, according to law enforcement and behavioral threat assessment experts I’ve spoken with, some of what investigators are scrutinizing to better understand Paddock’s planning and possible motive.

The pathway to violence

Coined by pioneers of the evolving field of threat assessment, the “pathway to violence” refers to a series of escalating behaviors leading to an attack, which can comprise a crucial period of time for possible intervention. Typically this process begins with a deep-seated grievance that turns to motivation, followed by planning and then an act of targeted violence. Though the process varies widely in its circumstances and duration, it precedes virtually all mass shootings.

jmfabi...@gmail.com

Oct 4, 2017, 8:29:40 PM10/4/17
On Tuesday, June 21, 2016 at 4:15:09 PM UTC-4, thinbl...@gmail.com wrote:
She also said she was born a coal miner's daughter.

thinbl...@gmail.com

Dec 7, 2019, 1:11:53 PM12/7/19
On Tuesday, June 21, 2016 at 7:04:30 PM UTC-4, thinbl...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Tuesday, June 21, 2016 at 4:15:09 PM UTC-4, thinbl...@gmail.com wrote:
> > Lynch tells gay community: 'We stand with you'
> > Updated: Jun 21, 2016
> > http://www.wftv.com/news/local/lynch-tells-gay-community-we-stand-with-you/354980724
> >

> > ORLANDO, Fla. — U.S. Attorney General Loretta Lynch has told the gay community "we stand with you" and insisted that investigators are continuing to follow leads on the gunman and mass shooting at the Pulse nightclub.
> >
> > She made the comments at a news conference Tuesday in Orlando, where she traveled to meet with prosecutors, first responders and victims of the worst mass shooting in modern U.S. history.
> >
> > She said investigators will "go back ... and see if there's anything we could have missed or anything we could have done better" in terms of spotting gunman Omar Mateen as a threat.
> >
> > She wouldn't give specifics about the investigation or a possible motive. She said "people often act out of more than one motivation" and called the June 12 massacre at the gay club "clearly an act of terror and an act of hate."
>

> > She added that a motive may never be known.

The authorities are still investigating a motive.

Investigators were trying to determine what motivated the gunman.

Senator Rick Scott, Republican of Florida, and Representative Matt Gaetz, a Republican whose district includes Pensacola, both described the shooting as an act of terrorism. But federal law enforcement officials said it was too early to establish the gunman’s motive.

The SITE Intelligence Group, which monitors jihadist activity, cited a Twitter account with a name matching the gunman that had posted a “will” calling the United States a “nation of evil” and criticizing its support for Israel.

SITE said the account had also quoted Osama bin Laden, the former Qaeda leader, and was critical of United States foreign policy.

“I’m not against you for just being American,” the posts said. “I don’t hate you because your freedoms, I hate you because every day you supporting, funding and committing crimes not only against Muslims but also humanity.”

The account could not be independently verified, and law enforcement officials did not confirm that it was connected to the gunman.

Florida Shooting Updates: Gunman Said to Have Acted Alone
By Liam Stack, Eric Schmitt and Nicholas Bogel-Burroughs 2019-12-07
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/07/us/nas-pensacola-shooting-shooter-victims.html