A Kryptonite Khristmas

Michael Black

Dec 25, 2016, 8:24:05 PM12/25/16
Yes it's off topic, so sue me.

I went to the used book store on Wednesday to get Hardy Boys book for lite
Christmas reading, then checked the comic books. I see a familiar cover,
a jumbo Superman that has stories about Kryptonite. I remember that
cover, including the drawing where Superman is a human ant. I look, and
the price is a dollar, must be a mistake. I look further, don't recognize
any covers, but the prices are higher. I almost put it back, but ask at
the cash, where they charge a dollar. I guess the piece missing from the
top of the front cover diminished it's cost.

So either this is one I had, or I remember it being advertised. June-July
1970, it was right before I started doing other things so I must have
stopped buying comics around that time. So maybe it sticks in my mind
because it was right at the end.

So I had some exciting Christmas reading today, though I don't really
remember the stories. SUperboy had a trophy room, something that seems
familiar, and obviously a predecessor to the museum at the Fortress of
Solitude. The last story even has a "thought beast", that animal with the
tv screen on its head.

It almost puts me back to when I was ten years old. NOt many ads, it does
have Hot Wheels on the back cover, an ad (but no price) for a Raleigh
Chopper, I had a cheaper generic version, no gears, that year. YOu can
get "Moon-Blob" for $1.50, post paid. A coupon to get into Palisades Park,
NJ, for free, some restrictions. The model of Snoopy as WWI flying ace,
no gluing necessary, it just pressed together. The propellor spun, there
was a battery, and you had to spin the propellor for the motor to start.
I had one, I assume I got it for Christmas in 1970. And an ad for movie
posters, only 1.50 each, "please allow 3 weeks for delivery". The ad is
in black and white, but they show posters for "The Illustrated Man",
"Bullitt" and the "Valley of the Gwangi" among others.

Maybe I had it, and this is the very copy I gave away decades ago. That
would be weird, no way of knowing.

I fear I'll be going back, and end up spending multiples of five and ten
dollars to get more SUperman (and associated) comics from that era.

Michael

anim8rfsk

Dec 25, 2016, 11:28:30 PM12/25/16
In article <alpine.LNX.2.02.1...@darkstar.example.org>,
Most excellent. Thanks for sharing, and Merry Christmas!

--
Join your old RAT friends at
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1688985234647266/

A Friend

Dec 26, 2016, 7:33:22 AM12/26/16
Michael Black <et...@ncf.ca> wrote:

> Yes it's off topic, so sue me.
>
> I went to the used book store on Wednesday to get Hardy Boys book for lite
> Christmas reading, then checked the comic books. I see a familiar cover,
> a jumbo Superman that has stories about Kryptonite. I remember that
> cover, including the drawing where Superman is a human ant. I look, and
> the price is a dollar, must be a mistake. I look further, don't recognize
> any covers, but the prices are higher. I almost put it back, but ask at
> the cash, where they charge a dollar. I guess the piece missing from the
> top of the front cover diminished it's cost.
>
> So either this is one I had, or I remember it being advertised. June-July
> 1970, it was right before I started doing other things so I must have
> stopped buying comics around that time. So maybe it sticks in my mind
> because it was right at the end.

Nice find. Superman came out ten times a year (every month except
March and September) back then, but it was 1970 and things were
beginning to get expensive for DC. This reprint issue substituted for
the June and July issues. I remember thinking I'd already read all the
stories when they originally appeared.

Julie Schwartz took over from Mort Weisinger as editor five or six
issues later.

Michael Black

Dec 26, 2016, 1:55:49 PM12/26/16
It was a neat find. I did read it yesterday, can't really remember if I
had it or not, but the cover certainly is familiar.

I've never looked into buying comics that vintage, assuming they would be
expensive, but not only did I recognize the cover of this one, but it was
really cheap.

It makes up for the time I bought two Rick Brant books at that store, one
was five dollars the other was ten, just like the first page that came
back with a search.

Michael

Michael Black

Dec 26, 2016, 2:02:22 PM12/26/16
I don't know whether these were new stories or not, but I was thinking one
reaons I probably know more about Superman was because given the choice,
I'd get the 25cent jumbo issues, which often had collections of older
stories, so I got more out of it than if I was just reading the stories
coming out at the time.

It was the sort of comic book I'd like to find, but figured would be too
expensive. I don't want to collect, just relive my comic book childhood.

Michael

anim8rfsk

Dec 26, 2016, 2:35:05 PM12/26/16
The problem with the 25? Giants or Annuals, was that 25? invokes sales
tax - for a kid with a shiny quarter to spend, that's a dealbreaker.
But you *could* get 2 12? books with a penny left over for candy, or no
candy if there was tax, or 2 12? comics and candy if you bought them
separately.

anim8rfsk

Dec 26, 2016, 2:49:33 PM12/26/16
At the Doc Savage convention I was at in November, one of my roommates
was waxing poetic about his first comic book, the one that led him to be
in the business for many years, a reprint of the Spider-Man annual with
the Sinister Six, and which was long since lost to time.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/88/aa/d3/88aad3ff91093ba0a70385
5d33456eb2.jpg

The next day, the guy at the vendor table next to my friend put out a
small stack of comics, and, there on top of it was the very issue - the
original, not the reprint - and my friend *hadn't seen it yet* (if it
was a snake it would have bit him) - what are the odds?
I managed to use confusion to get the vendor to stash the comic under
the table and retrieved it while my friend was elsewhere and put it on
his pillow as his Xmas present. I didn't get anywhere *near* the deal
you got, but it was well worth it, it almost brought him to tears. :)

Michael Black

Dec 26, 2016, 6:55:04 PM12/26/16
At the time, comic books didn't have tax here, so they were a better deal.

I'm not sure how things are now. Up until 1990, books and magazines
weren't taxed (and that included comic books), then they were, but the
provincial government didn't tax books (but did tax magazines), so that
wsa sort of split. But since I've not bought a new comic book in decades,
I don't know. I can see that some people would want to put a premium tax
on comic books, like candy and soda, to limit the doseage. But I've also
seen reading programs where comic books are considered important, so who
knows.

Michael

anim8rfsk

Dec 26, 2016, 7:47:53 PM12/26/16
We should be encouraging kids to read *anything*

Kevrob

Dec 26, 2016, 8:50:42 PM12/26/16
Taxing comics more than other reading material has got to be
a First Amendment violation, here in the States.

Of course, I think taxing anything we read is a violation.
Have these poltroonish pols no memory of the Stamp Act?

This is the issue Michael purchased. : a "64-page GIANT"
issue, all-reprint. A steal at a buck, depending upon
condition.

http://www.comics.org/issue/23556/cover/4/

http://comicvine.gamespot.com/superman-227-special-all-kryptonite-issue/4000-10874/

Superman #227 June-July 1970 cover date, would have been on US
news stands as early as April. G-72 in the Giant series. That would
be half a year before the SUPERMAN 233 issue which temporarily
banished Kryptonite from Earth.

DC had annuals, which were 80-page Giant reprints, later
cut back to 64. I used to have arguments with the fellow who
ran the candy store with the best comics selection in my home
town that comics, as "dated periodicals" were exempt from sales
tax, the same as a weekly issue of TIME or a monthly issue
of ESQUIRE. Their was a loophole for magazines published quarterly
or less: they got taxed in NY State. Also, the 3-in-one
bags with 3 regular comics were not given the tax exemption.
When NY state first started dales tax (1965) the rate was 4%
and anything cheaper than 25 cents was not taxed, as it would be
less than a penny. So, if the cashier didn't know the law, they'd
try to collect that penny on a quarter comic, the @#%$!*s!

I understand annuals had trouble getting into Canada without
having to pay duty, so DC folded the Giants into the regular
run, which would be exempt. They sold well. There were years
when DC had two "Superman Annuals," and the "80 Page Giant Magazine"
separate numbering allowed them to have more, along with ones
for Jimmy Olsen, Lois Lane and Superboy. Even Supergirl got the
GIANT treatment in special issues of "ACTION COMICS."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/80-Page_Giant

Later in the 70s, GIANTS were replaced by "100 Page
Super-Spectaculars." Again, they started as a separate
series, then were folded into the regular run. Some comics
were 100-pagers every issue, at least for a while. They tended
to have 20 pages of new story, the rest reprint.

I loved the old Golden Age stuff they reprinted, so I ate it
up. Some kids only liked new comics. As the TV networks always
said about reruns, if you haven't seen it yet, "it's new
to you!"

Kevin R

Michael Black

Dec 26, 2016, 11:32:34 PM12/26/16
That was the premise of what I read. There are better things than comic
books, but better they read those than nothing at all.

I am reminded of the time we took the family station wagon into the repair
shop for a check before the family vacation, and there were some comics I
didn't want, including The War Wagon (I don't know what else), and someone
younger was there and got all excited. But he wasn't a kid. Kind of like
"Radar" or the gum chewing guy on "Rat Patrol".

Yes, I had the War Wagon comic book for some reason, and gave it away
after I read it. Probably the only western comic book I had, clearly I
was influenced by knowing it was a movie. But not enough to keep it. And
I didn't see the movie until I found it on VHS about a decade ago.

Michael

anim8rfsk

Dec 27, 2016, 12:12:21 AM12/27/16
I got The War Wagon on Blu-ray for Christmas yesterday. :D

Kevrob

Dec 27, 2016, 7:52:53 AM12/27/16
Cover here;

http://www.comics.org/issue/21306/cover/4/

Dell published a lot of movie cpmics.

Kevin R

A Friend

Dec 27, 2016, 10:35:25 AM12/27/16
In article <c0d72f43-fac3-4855...@googlegroups.com>,
My wife once observed that those movie comics were the DVDs of their
day: They were a way to own a movie without actually having a copy of
it. I wonder what the market for comics adaptations is these days.

BTW one of the fun things about movie comics (and TV comics, too) is
how little some of the characters resemble their counterparts in the
movie. Also, sometimes the stars' faces are traced or pantographed
into the art, with the result that every closeup looks like a publicity
still, and there are only three or four versions of the face. The BEN
CASEY title was notorious for this.

anim8rfsk

Dec 27, 2016, 12:50:54 PM12/27/16
In article <271220161035186712%no...@noway.com>,
Ever see the Warren Beatty DICK TRACY movie adaptation? He gave them an
approved list of five angles he was allowed to be shown from, and they
had to put one of those five unmatching heads on every appearance of his
character in the comic.

Michael Black

Dec 27, 2016, 1:19:06 PM12/27/16
I got it on VHS about a decade ago. I have no idea why it loomed so
strong in my memory, I never saw it before that VHS copy. But I bought
the comic book, so somehow I was aware of the movie when it came out, and
it somehow struck my fancy. The movie, or rather the war wagon, was kind
of a letdown, not what I expected, but oddly, I'm pretty sure that was the
first western I actually had at home, and maybe the first western I
watched right through. I'm not certain about the latter. I said it
before, it has the standard bits of a John Wayne western, he gets his pals
together and they do something.

Michael

Michael Black

Dec 27, 2016, 1:32:40 PM12/27/16
On Tue, 27 Dec 2016, A Friend wrote:

> In article <c0d72f43-fac3-4855...@googlegroups.com>,
> Kevrob <kev...@my-deja.com> wrote:

>>> That was the premise of what I read. There are better things than comic
>>> books, but better they read those than nothing at all.
>>>
>>> I am reminded of the time we took the family station wagon into the repair
>>> shop for a check before the family vacation, and there were some comics I
>>> didn't want, including The War Wagon (I don't know what else), and someone
>>> younger was there and got all excited. But he wasn't a kid. Kind of like
>>> "Radar" or the gum chewing guy on "Rat Patrol".
>>>
>>> Yes, I had the War Wagon comic book for some reason, and gave it away
>>> after I read it. Probably the only western comic book I had, clearly I
>>> was influenced by knowing it was a movie. But not enough to keep it. And
>>> I didn't see the movie until I found it on VHS about a decade ago.
>>
>> Cover here;
>>
>> http://www.comics.org/issue/21306/cover/4/
>>
>> Dell published a lot of movie cpmics.
>>
>> Kevin R
>

> My wife once observed that those movie comics were the DVDs of their
> day: They were a way to own a movie without actually having a copy of
> it. I wonder what the market for comics adaptations is these days.

I think she's right. There were also the novelizations, and in the UK (as
recently mentioned at the MeTV website) they had annuals that were often
related to tv shows, I still have my Danger Man annual, but somehow let my
Captain Scarlett annual go decades ago.

Kids today don't know what it was like, you'd watch a show, or see a
movie, and have no real idea if you'd see it again. Of course, for movies,
they got recycled a lot on tv, before they ran out of space and needed it
for other programming. Movies in the weekday afternoons, midnight movies,
movies in the evening, movies on the weekend afternoons.

> BTW one of the fun things about movie comics (and TV comics, too) is
> how little some of the characters resemble their counterparts in the
> movie. Also, sometimes the stars' faces are traced or pantographed
> into the art, with the result that every closeup looks like a publicity
> still, and there are only three or four versions of the face. The BEN
> CASEY title was notorious for this.

I had some Lost in Space comic books, I can't remember at the time if I
noticved differences, because I think I only saw Lost in Space when we
were in the US for vacations. But later, there was obvious confusion,
it's sort of like the tv series but isn't.

But then the internet explained, the comic book came first.

Michael

Michael Black

Dec 27, 2016, 1:35:57 PM12/27/16
I got a used DVD copy in November of that. Waiting to watch. I can then
watch "The Shadow", though that's on VHS.

Michael

A Friend

Dec 27, 2016, 2:00:24 PM12/27/16
In article <anim8rfsk-319ED...@news.easynews.com>,
Oh, gawd! That's not only hilarious, it's frightening.

A Friend

Dec 27, 2016, 2:01:48 PM12/27/16
In article <alpine.LNX.2.02.1...@darkstar.example.org>,
Michael Black <et...@ncf.ca> wrote:

I think THE SHADOW was woefully underrated. Good film, but I'm afraid
the character just doesn't click anymore, even in a well-made period
piece.

A Friend

Dec 27, 2016, 2:10:42 PM12/27/16
In article <alpine.LNX.2.02.1...@darkstar.example.org>,
Michael Black <et...@ncf.ca> wrote:

> On Tue, 27 Dec 2016, A Friend wrote:

> > My wife once observed that those movie comics were the DVDs of their
> > day: They were a way to own a movie without actually having a copy of
> > it. I wonder what the market for comics adaptations is these days.
> >
> I think she's right. There were also the novelizations, and in the UK (as
> recently mentioned at the MeTV website) they had annuals that were often
> related to tv shows, I still have my Danger Man annual, but somehow let my
> Captain Scarlett annual go decades ago.

I have a Supercar annual kicking around here somewhere. It's the only
thing I've ever seen that wexplained *why* these people were out in the
middle of the desert building and testing Supercar, and benefitting
from apparently limitless funding. The real project was an enormous
spacecraft called Super-R (for "rocket," I guess), and Supercar fit
nicely inside its enormous cargo bay. They really didn't do anything
with Super-R, but maybe they held that for a future annual.

BTW that issue had a cool scene of Supercar flying over Manhattan on
its way to the U.N.

Michael Black

Dec 27, 2016, 3:20:35 PM12/27/16
The Captain Scarlett annual had some stories in comic book form, but they
also had filler, details about the various vehicles and background on most
of the main characters. So it certainly supplemented the tv show. I'm
not sure why that got away but Danger Man remains. I would have thought
both would have gone at the same time.

Michael

Kevrob

Dec 27, 2016, 8:01:18 PM12/27/16
Read the 1970s comics where Denny O'Neil is The Master's scribe,
and Mike Kaluta his illustrator. They are gorgeous.

Series cover gallery:

http://www.comics.org/series/2105/covers/

Collected as THE PRIVATE FILES OF THE SHADOW, with an
additional new, 15-page story.

http://www.comics.org/issue/45508/#250431

When Marvel got the rights, O'Neil/Kaluta did a graphic
novel: HITLER'S ASTROLOGER

http://www.comics.org/issue/43890/cover/4/

When Kaluta couldn't keep up the pace, DC used Frank Robbins.
Good stories, and Robbins is a fine Caniff-influenced cartoonist,
but it was just not the same.

Wheels within wheels....

Kevin R

A Friend

Dec 27, 2016, 10:15:24 PM12/27/16
In article <cbb497f8-a07b-4b04...@googlegroups.com>,
Dynamite just concluded a five-issue run, "The Death of Margo Lane."
Matt Wagner story and art. Wonderful stuff.

Lesmond

Dec 28, 2016, 5:00:04 PM12/28/16
On Mon, 26 Dec 2016 12:49:26 -0700, anim8rfsk wrote:

>At the Doc Savage convention I was at in November, one of my roommates
>was waxing poetic about his first comic book, the one that led him to be
>in the business for many years, a reprint of the Spider-Man annual with
>the Sinister Six, and which was long since lost to time.
>
>https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/88/aa/d3/88aad3ff91093ba0a70385
>5d33456eb2.jpg
>
>The next day, the guy at the vendor table next to my friend put out a
>small stack of comics, and, there on top of it was the very issue - the
>original, not the reprint - and my friend *hadn't seen it yet* (if it
>was a snake it would have bit him) - what are the odds?
>I managed to use confusion to get the vendor to stash the comic under
>the table and retrieved it while my friend was elsewhere and put it on
>his pillow as his Xmas present. I didn't get anywhere *near* the deal
>you got, but it was well worth it, it almost brought him to tears. :)

You are a good friend.

--
She may contain the urge to run away
But hold her down with soggy clothes and breeze blocks

anim8rfsk

Dec 28, 2016, 5:22:55 PM12/28/16
In article <yrfzbaqirevmbaar...@192.168.0.6>,
Thanks. I have my moments. ;)

But seriously, the universe just shoved that one in my face!

Lesmond

Dec 28, 2016, 8:00:05 PM12/28/16
Mere coincidence...or was there a reason? And if there was a reason, how do
we know it wasn't nefarious?

Michael Black

Dec 28, 2016, 8:49:20 PM12/28/16
But these things do happen. I can find a comic book from my childhood,
and pay only a dollar. I can get an expensive shortwave receiver from the
fifties at a garage sale for $20, and realize that if I'd not come along,
they would have tossed it in the garbage. And you can bump into people
just as you are thinking about them.

It doesn't happen all the time, so when it does, it become something way
out of the ordinary.

Michael

anim8rfsk

Dec 28, 2016, 9:03:33 PM12/28/16
bwaahaaaahahahahahahaaa

Adam H. Kerman

Dec 31, 2016, 2:59:32 PM12/31/16
The Shadow is good because of the cast. I wasn't wild about the liberties
they took with the story, or that it was yet another ticking timebomb
(with an atomic bomb) story, of which I'd seen 12 others that year.

That they hid an office building in plain sight was amusing.

Micky DuPree

Jan 4, 2017, 8:58:12 PM1/4/17
A Friend <no...@noway.com> writes:

> I think THE SHADOW was woefully underrated. Good film, but I'm afraid
> the character just doesn't click anymore, even in a well-made period
> piece.

If that's the 1994 film, I concur. I ran into it while looking for
something else on TV a few years back and kept watching, to my surprise.
I had heard it bombed at the box office, but it was well done.

-Micky

Micky DuPree

Jan 4, 2017, 9:02:13 PM1/4/17
A Friend <no...@noway.com> writes:

> I have a Supercar annual kicking around here somewhere. It's the only
> thing I've ever seen that wexplained *why* these people were out in
> the middle of the desert building and testing Supercar, and
> benefitting from apparently limitless funding. The real project was
> an enormous spacecraft called Super-R (for "rocket," I guess), and
> Supercar fit nicely inside its enormous cargo bay. They really didn't
> do anything with Super-R, but maybe they held that for a future annual.

Cool. In my six-year-old mind, I had just assumed Supercar existed to
fight nefarious people. Was the annual considered canon?

-Micky

anim8rfsk

Jan 4, 2017, 10:04:40 PM1/4/17
In article <o4k9f3$k7j$2...@pcls7.std.com>,
I'd never heard of it, but a friend has it, and I found a website with
some info and scans of the cover and front page, as well as the same for
other annuals:

"The Supercar Annual from 1962 had artwork by Eric Eden and Jacqueline
Dickenson, and stories written by Eric Eden and Sylvia Anderson. The
annual had a story arc which involved the experimental rocket, Super-R."

http://projectswordtoys.blogspot.com/2012/11/supercar-annuals.html

'Canon' is an interesting question. Nothing like this was ever aired,
so I'd say 'no' but Sylvia *is* credited ... still, if it's not aired,
and it's not from a Woodhouse, I'd say 'no'

Arc Michael

Jan 4, 2017, 10:09:44 PM1/4/17
On Sunday, December 25, 2016 at 5:24:05 PM UTC-8, Michael Black wrote:

#tv = #jewshite and they are godless.

please stop with the religious references, ok. Hollwyood are murdering jew mongering fuckers. I know, I live here,they rape homeless boys because jew is faggot bully like Islamic state.

A Friend

Jan 4, 2017, 10:36:49 PM1/4/17
In article <o4k97i$k7j$1...@pcls7.std.com>, Micky DuPree
<MDu...@theworld.com.snip.to.reply> wrote:

> A Friend <no...@noway.com> writes:
>
> > I think THE SHADOW was woefully underrated. Good film, but I'm
> > afraid the character just doesn't click anymore, even in a
> > well-made period piece.
>
> If that's the 1994 film, I concur.

Yes.

A Friend

Jan 4, 2017, 10:49:41 PM1/4/17
In article <anim8rfsk-1B2CB...@news.easynews.com>,
I have to agree with anim. The annual isn't canon, despite its
impressive Sylvia Anderson credit. It might have indicated what lay
ahead for the series, though. Also, it's probably not coincidental
that Super-R looks an awful lot like Fireball XL-5 and takes off from a
long acceleration track.

Here's the cover of the Annual, with both Supercar and Super-R on it:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/eypgd57xb7rgmv8/Supercar%20Annual%201962-01.jp
g?dl=0

Michael Black

Jan 4, 2017, 11:49:51 PM1/4/17
But maybe that's why it bombed.

I meant to see it when it came out, I gather he goes to Tibet to learn
some things, but somehow didn't and then the negative things said about
the film sort of took over, so I didn't think about it for a long time.

I haven't watched it yet, but that VHS copy I found last fall is waiting.

Michael

Michael Black

Jan 4, 2017, 11:57:44 PM1/4/17
I think "annual" is misleading in this case.

It describes a book that would come out around Christmas, and probably
reflected tv shows or comics, but it doesn't mean that a specific title
came out annually.

So there may have been only one for Supercar. After MeTV posted about the
"annuals", I started looking, I can find the Danger Man annual that I
have, at a website, but others have only been archived in terms of a
cover. It would be nice to find them online, useful stuff.

There was a magazine of some sort that covered Gerry Anderson shows, and
maybe more, I think it was titled "TV 21" (as in "21st century") and there
wsa an annual for that, I think more than one year.

There was a Dan Dare annual (or maybe it had his comic strips collected
with other material, I just remember seeing some Dan Dare comics in an
annual I did get). UK comic book or strips. Probably the UK equivalent
of Marvel or DC.

Michael

Michael Black

Jan 4, 2017, 11:59:01 PM1/4/17
I have no idea what you're talking about, since you don't quote properly.

Unlike you, I wouldn't say anything bad about Jewish people. So whatever
you're babling about, don't mix me up in it.

Michael

Michael Black

Jan 5, 2017, 12:19:23 AM1/5/17
Which came first, Supercar or XL-5?

I've said it before, I'm not sure if I saw them or not, I did have the
little Golden Book with a Supercar story, and I think there was an XL-5
one, but if I saw either as tv, I've never seen them since, so I have
nothing to refresh my memory. I was too young to ask for those Golden
Books, so I have no idea if having them reflected watching them, or
something my father thought would be interesting.

I've seen Thunderbirds and Stingray and Captain Scarlett in reruns,
but not those early ones or Joe 90 since it first aired.

Michael

anim8rfsk

Jan 5, 2017, 12:42:24 AM1/5/17
In article <alpine.LNX.2.02.1...@darkstar.example.org>,
Michael Black <et...@ncf.ca> wrote:

Supercar, then Fireball, then they switched to color for Stingray

> I've said it before, I'm not sure if I saw them or not, I did have the
> little Golden Book with a Supercar story, and I think there was an XL-5
> one, but if I saw either as tv, I've never seen them since, so I have
> nothing to refresh my memory. I was too young to ask for those Golden
> Books, so I have no idea if having them reflected watching them, or
> something my father thought would be interesting.
>
> I've seen Thunderbirds and Stingray and Captain Scarlett in reruns,
> but not those early ones or Joe 90 since it first aired.
>
> Michael

anim8rfsk

Jan 5, 2017, 12:54:18 AM1/5/17
In article <alpine.LNX.2.02.1...@darkstar.example.org>,
Michael Black <et...@ncf.ca> wrote:

http://projectswordtoys.blogspot.com/2012/11/supercar-annuals.html

He counts three.

> "annuals", I started looking, I can find the Danger Man annual that I
> have, at a website, but others have only been archived in terms of a
> cover. It would be nice to find them online, useful stuff.

Yeah, we haven't been able to find more than the covers and first page.
Maybe nobody wants to tear one apart to scan it.

> There was a magazine of some sort that covered Gerry Anderson shows, and
> maybe more, I think it was titled "TV 21" (as in "21st century") and there
> wsa an annual for that, I think more than one year.
>
> There was a Dan Dare annual (or maybe it had his comic strips collected
> with other material, I just remember seeing some Dan Dare comics in an
> annual I did get). UK comic book or strips. Probably the UK equivalent
> of Marvel or DC.
>
> Michael

Ubiquitous

Jan 6, 2017, 9:03:23 AM1/6/17
In article <alpine.LNX.2.02.1...@darkstar.example.org>,
I bet Google would be interested in knowing that one of their users is posting
anti-jewish garbage with their service.

--
Obama acting tough at this point is like an athlete finally trash
talking out the team bus window as it leaves the stadium parking lot.

Micky DuPree

Jan 16, 2017, 5:06:26 AM1/16/17
A Friend <no...@noway.com> writes:

> In article <anim8rfsk-1B2CB...@news.easynews.com>,
> anim8rfsk <anim...@cox.net> wrote:

>> In article <o4k9f3$k7j$2...@pcls7.std.com>,
>> MDu...@theworld.com.snip.to.reply (Micky DuPree) wrote:

>>> In my six-year-old mind, I had just assumed Supercar existed to
>>> fight nefarious people. Was the annual considered canon?
>>
>> I'd never heard of it, but a friend has it, and I found a website
>> with some info and scans of the cover and front page, as well as the
>> same for other annuals:
>>
>> "The Supercar Annual from 1962 had artwork by Eric Eden and
>> Jacqueline Dickenson, and stories written by Eric Eden and Sylvia
>> Anderson. The annual had a story arc which involved the experimental
>> rocket, Super-R."
>>
>> http://projectswordtoys.blogspot.com/2012/11/supercar-annuals.html
>>
>> 'Canon' is an interesting question. Nothing like this was ever
>> aired, so I'd say 'no' but Sylvia *is* credited ... still, if it's
>> not aired, and it's not from a Woodhouse, I'd say 'no'
>
> I have to agree with anim. The annual isn't canon, despite its
> impressive Sylvia Anderson credit. It might have indicated what lay
> ahead for the series, though. Also, it's probably not coincidental
> that Super-R looks an awful lot like Fireball XL-5 and takes off from
> a long acceleration track.

Sure does. Looks to me like the Super-R was repurposed, so no, not
_Supercar_ canon. I watched _Fireball XL5_, but it didn't grab me the
way _Supercar_ had. I can't explain, nor even really remember why.

-Micky

Micky DuPree

Jan 16, 2017, 5:23:25 AM1/16/17
Michael Black <et...@ncf.ca> writes:

> Which came first, Supercar or XL-5?

_Supercar_ came first, both to the U.K. and to my local U.S. station,
albeit there was about a two-year delay between them debuting in the
U.K. and my local station picking them up. They're difficult for me to
watch now, but I was entranced when I was six.

-Micky

A Friend

Jan 16, 2017, 5:32:50 AM1/16/17
In article <o5i5v0$31e$1...@pcls7.std.com>, Micky DuPree
Same here. I really liked Supercar. I remember building a Supercar
out of Lego-like plastic bricks, and a -- what was that place, a
headquarters? a base? a garage? -- out of Little Golden Books. I'd
draw back the roof and launch Supercar on an adventure to harass my
little brother, an evil crime overlord. Fireball XL-5 never clicked
with me that way, but of course I was a few years older by then.

anim8rfsk

Jan 16, 2017, 9:09:35 AM1/16/17
In article <160120170532436562%no...@noway.com>,
Black Rock (Nevada) - I'd call it a hangar, but it's also where they
live. Base and Headquarters works as well. It must have a garage
inside, as they don't leave their card parked outside in the desert. :)

out of Little Golden Books. I'd
> draw back the roof and launch Supercar on an adventure to harass my
> little brother, an evil crime overlord. Fireball XL-5 never clicked
> with me that way, but of course I was a few years older by then.

Michael Black

Jan 16, 2017, 1:21:47 PM1/16/17
I think as time went by, we got them sooner. At least in Canada.

A friend with family in England went there one summer, and came back
talking about "Joe 90", and it seemed like we got it here right after
that. But I think that was the summer of 1970, so the show had been out
of new shows for a year.

Michael

A Friend

Jan 16, 2017, 2:09:33 PM1/16/17
In article <anim8rfsk-E343F...@news.easynews.com>,
anim8rfsk <anim...@cox.net> wrote:

> In article <160120170532436562%no...@noway.com>,
> A Friend <no...@noway.com> wrote:

> > Same here. I really liked Supercar. I remember building a Supercar
> > out of Lego-like plastic bricks, and a -- what was that place, a
> > headquarters? a base? a garage? --
>
> Black Rock (Nevada) - I'd call it a hangar, but it's also where they
> live. Base and Headquarters works as well. It must have a garage
> inside, as they don't leave their card parked outside in the desert. :)

Ha ha!

bruce2...@gmail.com

Jan 16, 2017, 5:28:22 PM1/16/17
In article <o4k97i$k7j$1...@pcls7.std.com>, Micky DuPree
<MDu...@theworld.com.snip.to.reply> wrote:

> A Friend <no...@noway.com> writes:
>
> > I think THE SHADOW was woefully underrated. Good film, but I'm
> > afraid the character just doesn't click anymore, even in a
> > well-made period piece.
>
> If that's the 1994 film, I concur.

I remember it. It was 1930'ish.