Re: PLEX - mini update

Message has been deleted

Ed Stasiak

Jun 25, 2022, 4:57:16 AM6/25/22
> chromebook test
>
> I have streamed several Mandy Moore tunes and a couple television shows like Longmire
> and a Star Wars series without Plex timing out even though the mobile phone screen goes
> black when it goes to sleep.

The few times I’ve streamed anything, it’s been a Lions late game when I’m not at the bar
with friends to watch and I noticed the stream would shut own if the computer went to
screen saver mode.

> Here is my setup, mostly auction bought at huge discounts, but PLEX will run on about any hardware:
> $20 - 32" Samsung TV, 3 HDMI and 1 USB ports
> $ 3 - Chromecast 3rd Gen (I bought so many of these I lost count)
> $ 7 - Samsung Trac-fone <---- BONUS in FOLLOWUP POST
> $40 - Dell Optiplex MFF 7th Gen Desktop, 16GB, 256 SSD
> $140 - Asus XT8 3-node tri-band wifi 6 Mesh router (retail $600+)

Damn, how many computers you got?

(ThinBlueMime’s bathroom)
https://i.pinimg.com/736x/8e/b0/af/8eb0afddb8d63aaf24e3726659d74bb1.jpg
Message has been deleted

anim8rfsk

Jun 25, 2022, 11:41:35 AM6/25/22
Ed Stasiak <edstas...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> chromebook test
>>
>> I have streamed several Mandy Moore tunes and a couple television shows like Longmire
>> and a Star Wars series without Plex timing out even though the mobile phone screen goes
>> black when it goes to sleep.
>
> The few times I’ve streamed anything, it’s been a Lions late game when I’m not at the bar
> with friends to watch and I noticed the stream would shut own if the computer went to
> screen saver mode.

Wait a minute – you actually got Plex to work?

EGK

Jun 25, 2022, 1:53:15 PM6/25/22
On Sat, 25 Jun 2022 08:41:31 -0700, anim8rfsk <anim...@cox.net> wrote:

>Ed Stasiak <edstas...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> chromebook test
>>>
>>> I have streamed several Mandy Moore tunes and a couple television shows like Longmire
>>> and a Star Wars series without Plex timing out even though the mobile phone screen goes
>>> black when it goes to sleep.
>>
>> The few times I’ve streamed anything, it’s been a Lions late game when I’m not at the bar
>> with friends to watch and I noticed the stream would shut own if the computer went to
>> screen saver mode.
>
>Wait a minute – you actually got Plex to work?

It works great here. I bought a new laptop last November and while my
desktop was 10yrs old, it still worked fine. I bought a 4TB hard drive for
it and turned it in to a dedicated server for running Plex. It's on the
network and anything I download from the grey goes there and three different
rok tvs in the house can connect to it and play content back over the
network.

Plus Plex has it's own ad supported, movies and tv shows it offers. It's
sort of like Tubi or Pluto combined with the ability to watch your own video
content.
I recently watched some of the 70s, Police Story episodes on Plex.

anim8rfsk

Jun 25, 2022, 2:43:10 PM6/25/22
OK I’m going to try again and tell you step-by-step what happens here.
Because I don’t understand any part of Plex!

OK Plex isn’t on my Cox. It may have been replaced by something called
Canela TV. So much for that.

So I launch the PlayStation. It has a Plex app under TV and video services.
I push the button for that. The screen goes black for a while while the
status lights blink furiously. And I finally get this message:

We couldn’t reach a media server

We haven’t found any servers to connect to. Please make sure you’ve
installed Plex media server and you signed on your server using the same
account. You can also open settings manual servers and manually configure
your servers IP address.

Remember servers signed in with the Plex account have additional security
and don’t allow connections from devices that are not signed in.

Support for your cloud sync and mobility Plex media servers is coming soon.

Now it says at the top right that I am signed in using the account it’s
telling me it wants me to sign in under. Nothing is clickable except retry,
go home, and my sign in name. My sign in name gives me three choices.
Settings, sign out, go premium.
Settings gives me the choices Maine, audio, video, manual servers, privacy,
and about. None of that seems to have anything to do with connecting. Just
how stuff would work once you had connected.

I have no idea where or how I would install “Plex media server“ it’s
nothing available on the PlayStation.

I have a Plex app on the iPhone. It says I need to get the Plex media
server and install it on the drive where I store my media and then I’ll be
able to watch my own media that’s on my own drive. I can already do that so
I don’t get the point. And there is no Plex media server available for the
iPhone through the App Store.

I have no idea about any of this is supposed to work.

trotsky

Jun 25, 2022, 2:49:19 PM6/25/22
Poor bastard, how is it not obvious to you from what you just said that
the Plex app and media server are too different things?

shawn

Jun 25, 2022, 3:30:39 PM6/25/22
On Sat, 25 Jun 2022 11:43:06 -0700, anim8rfsk <anim...@cox.net>
wrote:

>EGK <memy...@null.net> wrote:

>>> Wait a minute ? you actually got Plex to work?
>>
>> It works great here. I bought a new laptop last November and while my
>> desktop was 10yrs old, it still worked fine. I bought a 4TB hard drive for
>> it and turned it in to a dedicated server for running Plex. It's on the
>> network and anything I download from the grey goes there and three different
>> rok tvs in the house can connect to it and play content back over the
>> network.
>>
>> Plus Plex has it's own ad supported, movies and tv shows it offers. It's
>> sort of like Tubi or Pluto combined with the ability to watch your own video
>> content.
>> I recently watched some of the 70s, Police Story episodes on Plex.
>>

>OK I’m going to try again and tell you step-by-step what happens here.
>Because I don’t understand any part of Plex!
>
>OK Plex isn’t on my Cox. It may have been replaced by something called
>Canela TV. So much for that.
>
>So I launch the PlayStation. It has a Plex app under TV and video services.
>I push the button for that. The screen goes black for a while while the
>status lights blink furiously. And I finally get this message:
>
>We couldn’t reach a media server
>
>We haven’t found any servers to connect to. Please make sure you’ve
>installed Plex media server and you signed on your server using the same
>account. You can also open settings manual servers and manually configure
>your servers IP address.

I think you just brought up your problem. Your Plex app wants to
connect to a media server. In EGK's case he has a PC set up as his
media server while you don't have one so you get an error. Get a cheap
PC and set it up as a media server and it would all work. It doesn't
need to be anything fancy or even new as used PC would be great for
this.

>Remember servers signed in with the Plex account have additional security
>and don’t allow connections from devices that are not signed in.
>
>Support for your cloud sync and mobility Plex media servers is coming soon.
>
>Now it says at the top right that I am signed in using the account it’s
>telling me it wants me to sign in under. Nothing is clickable except retry,
>go home, and my sign in name. My sign in name gives me three choices.
>Settings, sign out, go premium.
>Settings gives me the choices Maine, audio, video, manual servers, privacy,
>and about. None of that seems to have anything to do with connecting. Just
>how stuff would work once you had connected.
>
>I have no idea where or how I would install “Plex media server“ it’s
>nothing available on the PlayStation.

It needs to be set up on a separate PC.

anim8rfsk

Jun 25, 2022, 3:38:15 PM6/25/22
OK, thanks, but… What’s the point? Does Plex do anything but allow me to
watch stuff I’ve already ripped or down loaded? Because my cloud Drive
connects directly to the plasma anyway. I can already see anything I’ve got
on it.

Ed Stasiak

Jun 25, 2022, 4:57:16 PM6/25/22
> chromebook test
>
> I won't have it reassembled until August, but I have many plans for it.
> Maybe a passive solar heat source during winter, or maybe storage
> for all the auction goodies.
>
> https://climapod.com/shop/climapod-passion-9x14-greenhouse/

https://i.postimg.cc/3NgWBNSH/dude-weed-lmao.jpg
https://ibb.co/PQgLCBW
Message has been deleted

EGK

Jun 26, 2022, 2:11:16 AM6/26/22
Shawn already gave you a basic rundown on how it works. It's a two part
process. The Plex server and the Plex viewing app. Before I got the new
laptop I ran the plex server software on the desktop I was using for
everything else. I could connect to it with the app installed on my Roku
tv's.

Besides being able to play back anything i've downloaded, Plex also offers
"live" channels similar to tubi or pluto and along with those it also has a
lot of older tv shows and movies. It's the plex server that shares those
over your network. The viewing app (in my case on Roku) is just an app that
allows a connection to the server. It's basically like having your own
streaming service on a home network. I can even set up separate viewer
accounts like you can on Netflix or Amazon or Hulu.

If I lose internet for whatever reason, I can still connect to the server
and play back my own content but I wouldnt see the other stuff as that's
internet based.

If you're happy with playing things back from your cloud drive, that
probably works about the same. For me, Plex is a convenient way to share
things with other people in the household and while I haven't done it, I can
even set it up to share my content with other people over the internet. If
I allowed it, they could connect to my Plex Server.
Message has been deleted

anim8rfsk

Jul 7, 2022, 3:14:43 PM7/7/22
So scant moments ago a friend of mine mentioned he had a Plex server. I had
still never been able to do anything with the apps or accounts it always
said I needed additional software. Friend suggested he send me an invite
and see what happens.

Well, what happens is it all starts working instantly both on the iPhone
and the PlayStation.

That was certainly an easy fix!

Plus his library is twice the size of mine and I thought mine was
ludicrously large.

Looks like I picked the wrong month to give up amphetamines!

EGK

Jul 7, 2022, 3:22:57 PM7/7/22
On Thu, 7 Jul 2022 12:14:38 -0700, anim8rfsk <anim...@cox.net> wrote:

>So scant moments ago a friend of mine mentioned he had a Plex server. I had
>still never been able to do anything with the apps or accounts it always
>said I needed additional software. Friend suggested he send me an invite
>and see what happens.
>
>Well, what happens is it all starts working instantly both on the iPhone
>and the PlayStation.
>
>That was certainly an easy fix!
>
>Plus his library is twice the size of mine and I thought mine was
>ludicrously large.

I mentioned in an earlier reply that I could do that with my plex server but
had never tried to stream outside the home. Just curious but what kind of
internet speeds do you and your friend have and how was the streaming
quality?

>Looks like I picked the wrong month to give up amphetamines!

Shirley you Jest?

chromebook test

Jul 7, 2022, 3:52:57 PM7/7/22
On Thursday, July 7, 2022 at 3:14:43 PM UTC-4, anim8rfsk wrote:
> So scant moments ago a friend of mine mentioned he had a Plex server. I had
> still never been able to do anything with the apps or accounts it always
> said I needed additional software. Friend suggested he send me an invite
> and see what happens.
>
> Well, what happens is it all starts working instantly both on the iPhone
> and the PlayStation.
>
> That was certainly an easy fix!
>
> Plus his library is twice the size of mine and I thought mine was
> ludicrously large.
>
> Looks like I picked the wrong month to give up amphetamines!

👍

https://youtu.be/7O1ZhHts8MI?t=14

-----------

mime: 3000 DVDs and ... terabytes of hard drives!

anim8rfsk

Jul 7, 2022, 4:24:24 PM7/7/22
I have 500 down and 10 up (despite Cox saying they never throttle my speed)

My friend sez:
“I’m a Gigabit here 980DL and 36Up, you should have no problems”

I had to shut down the PlayStation because it was literally howling. I
think it overwhelmed itself trying to download or make 8000 little preview
icons!

So far all I actually tried to watch was the first five minutes of episode
one of FOR ALL MANKIND. That much seemed to be just fine.

>> Looks like I picked the wrong month to give up amphetamines!
>
> Shirley you Jest?

EGK

Jul 7, 2022, 5:04:33 PM7/7/22
On Thu, 7 Jul 2022 13:24:19 -0700, anim8rfsk <anim...@cox.net> wrote:

>EGK <memy...@null.net> wrote:
>> On Thu, 7 Jul 2022 12:14:38 -0700, anim8rfsk <anim...@cox.net> wrote:
>>
>>> So scant moments ago a friend of mine mentioned he had a Plex server. I had
>>> still never been able to do anything with the apps or accounts it always
>>> said I needed additional software. Friend suggested he send me an invite
>>> and see what happens.
>>>
>>> Well, what happens is it all starts working instantly both on the iPhone
>>> and the PlayStation.
>>>
>>> That was certainly an easy fix!
>>>
>>> Plus his library is twice the size of mine and I thought mine was
>>> ludicrously large.
>>
>> I mentioned in an earlier reply that I could do that with my plex server but
>> had never tried to stream outside the home. Just curious but what kind of
>> internet speeds do you and your friend have and how was the streaming
>> quality?
>
>I have 500 down and 10 up (despite Cox saying they never throttle my speed)
>
>My friend sez:
>“I’m a Gigabit here 980DL and 36Up, you should have no problems”
>
>I had to shut down the PlayStation because it was literally howling. I
>think it overwhelmed itself trying to download or make 8000 little preview
>icons!
>
>So far all I actually tried to watch was the first five minutes of episode
>one of FOR ALL MANKIND. That much seemed to be just fine.

That's pretty cool. Your upload speed wouldnt matter but his would since
he's the one serving the stream to you. I have 450/22mb/s on speed tests
here which should be able to do it.

On my Roku TV's I always set the View in the Plex app to show a List view
rather than Grid. That shows just the titles rather than it taking so much
time for all the icons to appear.