"How Dare You": Fans Blast Emmys For Excluding Olivia Newton-John From Memorial Tribute

Ubiquitous

Sep 13, 2022, 8:49:07 PM (12 days ago) Sep 13
The Emmys were slammed after excluding the late Olivia Newton-John from
their “In Memoriam” tribute on Monday.

The famed pop music icon died in August after a thirty-year
intermittent battle against cancer in August. She was 73.

“How do forget Olivia Newton John? How dare you. She is and always will
be an icon. And you forgot her?” one social media user fired.

The Emmys’ tribute included James Caan, Tony Dow, Gilbert Gottfried,
Anne Heche, Howard Hesseman, Dwayne Hickman, Ray Liotta, Robert Morse,
Roger Mosley, Nichelle Nichols, Sidney Poitier, Bob Saget, Peter
Scolari, Yoko Shimada, Paul Sorvino, Dean Stockwell, David Warner, and
Betty White.

“Olivia Newton-John not being included? Explain yourselves #Emmys,”
chimed in another disgruntled observer, while another snapped, “Ok
watching Emmys and they just honored many who have passed, where was
Olivia Newton-John?”

Newton-John was included on the Emmys’ ‘In Memoriam” page. She was
first diagnosed with breast cancer in 1992.

Newton John first rose to prominence with her album “Let Me be There,”
in 1973, for which she won the first of four Grammys. She followed that
with two Number One hits: “ I Honestly Love You” in 1974 and “Have You
Never Been Mellow” in 1975.

Although never a major TV star, she appeared on numerous TV shows,
including “Bette,” “Murphy Brown,” “Ned and Stacey” and “Sordid Lives:
The Series,” as well as the TV movies “A Mom For Christmas” and “A
Christmas Romance.”

Newton-John’s close friend actress Jane Seymour spoke of Newton-John’s
courage: “I realized that she was a unique friend. I have friends, but
not like her in my life. I just remember so clearly our conversations
and the smile on her face. And then the fact that she wasn’t afraid, I
don’t think, to pass. She just didn’t want to miss out on life.”

Seymour recalled her last visit to Newton-John in February when she was
thinking “this could easily be the last time I see her.”

“But I felt that before … several years before when she was incredibly
frail and on a lot of pain meds and I just thought, oh my gosh, she,
she was barely eating,” the actress stated. “She looked so frail. We
were all surprised. She pulled it all back together again and had a
quality of life again. It was amazing. She defied all the odds,
really.”

--
Let's go Brandon!

The Horny Goat

Sep 14, 2022, 4:16:16 PM (11 days ago) Sep 14
On Tue, 13 Sep 2022 20:48:52 -0400, Ubiquitous <web...@polaris.net>
wrote:

>The Emmys were slammed after excluding the late Olivia Newton-John from
>their “In Memoriam” tribute on Monday.
>
>The famed pop music icon died in August after a thirty-year
>intermittent battle against cancer in August. She was 73.
>
>“How do forget Olivia Newton John? How dare you. She is and always will
>be an icon. And you forgot her?” one social media user fired.
>
>The Emmys’ tribute included James Caan, Tony Dow, Gilbert Gottfried,
>Anne Heche, Howard Hesseman, Dwayne Hickman, Ray Liotta, Robert Morse,
>Roger Mosley, Nichelle Nichols, Sidney Poitier, Bob Saget, Peter
>Scolari, Yoko Shimada, Paul Sorvino, Dean Stockwell, David Warner, and
>Betty White.
>
>“Olivia Newton-John not being included? Explain yourselves #Emmys,”
>chimed in another disgruntled observer, while another snapped, “Ok
>watching Emmys and they just honored many who have passed, where was
>Olivia Newton-John?”

They probably thought of her more as a musician or movie actor than TV
star. Of course you could say the same about Caan, Poitier and Heche
at least in the movie actor part.

Obviously they go back and forth between movies and TV but Dow,
Hickman and Nichols are known almost entirely for TV (yes I know
Nichols was in the Star Trek movies)

BTR1701

Sep 14, 2022, 5:58:52 PM (11 days ago) Sep 14
In article <hfd4ih91adr1tbjan...@4ax.com>,
The Horny Goat <lcr...@home.ca> wrote:

> On Tue, 13 Sep 2022 20:48:52 -0400, Ubiquitous <web...@polaris.net>
> wrote:
>
> >The Emmys were slammed after excluding the late Olivia Newton-John from
> >their "In Memoriam" tribute on Monday.
> >
> >The famed pop music icon died in August after a thirty-year
> >intermittent battle against cancer in August. She was 73.
> >
> >"How do forget Olivia Newton John? How dare you? She is and always will
> >be an icon. And you forgot her?" one social media user fired.
> >
> >The Emmys’ tribute included James Caan, Tony Dow, Gilbert Gottfried,
> >Anne Heche, Howard Hesseman, Dwayne Hickman, Ray Liotta, Robert Morse,
> >Roger Mosley, Nichelle Nichols, Sidney Poitier, Bob Saget, Peter
> >Scolari, Yoko Shimada, Paul Sorvino, Dean Stockwell, David Warner, and
> >Betty White.
> >
> >"Olivia Newton-John not being included? Explain yourselves #Emmys,"
> >chimed in another disgruntled observer, while another snapped, "Ok
> >watching Emmys and they just honored many who have passed, where was
> >Olivia Newton-John?"
> >
> They probably thought of her more as a musician or movie actor than TV
> star. Of course you could say the same about Caan, Poitier and Heche
> at least in the movie actor part.

To leave Olivia off in favor of Anne Heche, who died driving like a
lunatic, likely intoxicated, smashing into someone's home, destroying it
and injuring the resident, was disgusting.

Rhino

Sep 14, 2022, 6:44:47 PM (11 days ago) Sep 14
Yeah, but you *know* the LGBT crowd would have gone nuts screaming about
homophobia if they'd left Heche out.

--
Rhino

anim8rfsk

Sep 14, 2022, 10:51:00 PM (11 days ago) Sep 14
Yeah, but what’s the cut off date? It used to be a few weeks when it took
that long to put the memorial together. Now you should be able to do it in
a day or two.

The problem with people who died shortly before the broadcast was always
that it was too late to get them in for this year but come next year
they’re forgotten about because they’ve been gone for a year.

Heche died, what, half a dozen times? The last of which was August 11.

Newton-John died… August 8.

OK, you’re right, there’s no excuse whatsoever for that.

Here’s a list of everybody they think should have been eligible and they
say probably only half of them would make the cut. But ONJ isn’t on here
either.

https://www.goldderby.com/feature/emmys-2022-in-memoriam-betty-white-1205071022/

Robert Allan Ackerman (director)
Mary Alice (actor)
Louie Anderson (actor/comedian)
Peter Aykroyd (writer)
John Aylward (actor)
Marilyn Bergman (composer)
David Birney (actor)
Val Bisoglio (actor)
Taurean Blacque (actor)
Peter Bogdanovich (director/actor)
Johnny Brown (actor/comedian)
James Caan (actor)
Pat Carroll (actor)
Dick Carson (director)
Marvin J. Chomsky (director)
Tim Considine (actor)
Arlene Dahl (actor)
Emilio Delgado (actor)
David H. DePatie (animator)
Jerry Douglas (actor)
Tony Dow (actor)
Ralph Emery (host)
Willie Garson (actor)
Gilbert Gottfried (actor)
Clu Gulager (actor)
Philip Baker Hall (actor)
Estelle Harris (actor)
Anne Heche (actor)
Howard Hesseman (actor)
Dwayne Hickman (actor/executive)
Bo Hopkins (actor)
William Hurt (actor)
Gregory Itzin (actor)
Conrad Janis (actor)
Alan Kalter (announcer)
Robert A. Katz (producer)
Sally Kellerman (actor)
Ken Kragen (producer/manager)
Ray Liotta (actor)
Betty Lynn (actor)
Eddie Mekka (actor)
Burt Metcalfe (producer/director/writer)
Scoey Mitchlll (actor/producer)
Robert Morse (actor)
Roger E. Mosley (actor)
Michael Nesmith (actor/singer)
Nichelle Nichols (actor)
Nehemiah Persoff (actor)
Marc Pilcher (makeup/hair)
Sidney Poitier (actor/director)
Bob Rafelson (director/producer)
Kevin Rooney (writer)
Mitchell Ryan (actor)
Bob Saget (actor/comedian)
Mort Sahl (comedian)
Jay Sandrich (director)
Peter Scolari (actor)
Vin Scully (announcer/host)
George Shapiro (manager/producer)
Liz Sheridan (actor)
Charles Siebert (actor)
Tony Sirico (actor)
Stephen Sondheim (composer)
Paul Sorvino (actor)
Dean Stockwell (actor)
Larry Storch (actor)
Joe E. Tata (actor)
James Michael Tyler (actor)
Gaspard Ulliel (actor)
Jean-Marc Vallee (director/producer)
Melvin Van Peebles (director/actor)
Tony Walton (production designer)
Fred Ward (actor)
David Warner (actor)
Diane Weyermann (documentarian)
Betty White (actor)
Tucker Wiard (editor)
Cara Williams (actor)

trotsky

Sep 15, 2022, 6:17:39 AM (10 days ago) Sep 15
It is. ONJ is known for movies and music, so what the fuck are the
Emmys doing ignoring her? I mean, doesn't the "Physical" video
appearing on MTV 300 million times count?

Holy fuck you really put the "anal" in analysis.

Ubiquitous

Sep 15, 2022, 3:35:07 PM (10 days ago) Sep 15
Didn't Heche disavow being a lesbian after breaking up with Ellen?

RichA

Sep 15, 2022, 6:28:01 PM (10 days ago) Sep 15
On Wednesday, 14 September 2022 at 16:16:16 UTC-4, The Horny Goat wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Sep 2022 20:48:52 -0400, Ubiquitous <web...@polaris.net>
> wrote:
> >The Emmys were slammed after excluding the late Olivia Newton-John from
> >their “In Memoriam” tribute on Monday.
> >
> >The famed pop music icon died in August after a thirty-year
> >intermittent battle against cancer in August. She was 73.
> >
> >“How do forget Olivia Newton John? How dare you. She is and always will
> >be an icon. And you forgot her?” one social media user fired.
> >
> >The Emmys’ tribute included James Caan, Tony Dow, Gilbert Gottfried,
> >Anne Heche, Howard Hesseman, Dwayne Hickman, Ray Liotta, Robert Morse,
> >Roger Mosley, Nichelle Nichols, Sidney Poitier, Bob Saget, Peter
> >Scolari, Yoko Shimada, Paul Sorvino, Dean Stockwell, David Warner, and
> >Betty White.
> >
> >“Olivia Newton-John not being included? Explain yourselves #Emmys,”
> >chimed in another disgruntled observer, while another snapped, “Ok
> >watching Emmys and they just honored many who have passed, where was
> >Olivia Newton-John?”
> >
> They probably thought of her more as a musician or movie actor than TV
> star. Of course you could say the same about Caan, Poitier and Heche
> at least in the movie actor part.

Good point. Imagine if they had memorialize every rapper shot to death over a year. It would take 1/2 the show.

The Horny Goat

Sep 15, 2022, 10:03:57 PM (10 days ago) Sep 15
I'll definitely grant you that but in the eyes of the ultra-woke
"lesbianism covers a multitude of sins!"

The Horny Goat

Sep 15, 2022, 10:06:18 PM (10 days ago) Sep 15
On Thu, 15 Sep 2022 15:35:01 -0400, Ubiquitous <web...@polaris.net>
wrote:

>>Yeah, but you *know* the LGBT crowd would have gone nuts screaming about
>>homophobia if they'd left Heche out.
>
>Didn't Heche disavow being a lesbian after breaking up with Ellen?

Wouldn't surprise me but if she stayed with her as long as she did
it's difficult to take her disavowal too seriously.

After all Ellen isn't the only woman she might be attracted to....

David Johnston

Sep 22, 2022, 1:20:23 AM (3 days ago) Sep 22
On 2022-09-13 6:48 p.m., Ubiquitous wrote:
> The Emmys were slammed after excluding the late Olivia Newton-John from
> their “In Memoriam” tribute on Monday.
>
> The famed pop music icon died in August after a thirty-year
> intermittent battle against cancer in August. She was 73.
>
> “How do forget Olivia Newton John? How dare you. She is and always will
> be an icon. And you forgot her?” one social media user fired.

I don't remember her having a television career. And her movie career
wasn't really all that notable. I'd wonder if I saw a memorial segment
on the Grammys that excluded her...if I watched award shows. The Emmys
not so much.

A Friend

Sep 22, 2022, 6:07:56 AM (3 days ago) Sep 22
In article <tggrai$29s$4...@gioia.aioe.org>, David Johnston
<davidjo...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> On 2022-09-13 6:48 p.m., Ubiquitous wrote:
> > The Emmys were slammed after excluding the late Olivia Newton-John from
> > their ³In Memoriam² tribute on Monday.
> >
> > The famed pop music icon died in August after a thirty-year
> > intermittent battle against cancer in August. She was 73.
> >
> > ³How do forget Olivia Newton John? How dare you. She is and always will
> > be an icon. And you forgot her?² one social media user fired.
> >
> I don't remember her having a television career.

Neither do I.

Adam H. Kerman

Sep 22, 2022, 11:25:14 AM (3 days ago) Sep 22
David Johnston <davidjo...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>On 2022-09-13 6:48 p.m., Ubiquitous wrote:

As always, Ubi the shithead writes nothing. Everything he posts is
plagarized. He makes absolutely no contribution to Usenet.

Everybody please stop indulging Ubi the shithead's delusion that he's
capable of doing anything other than forging authorship and giving him
the unlimited attention that he craves.

This is a proper citation:

'How Dare You': Fans Blast Emmys For Excluding Olivia Newton-John From
Memorial Tribute
By Hank Berrien
The Daily Wire
Sep 13, 2022
https://www.dailywire.com/news/how-dare-you-fans-blast-emmys-for-excluding-olivia-newton-john-from-memorial-tribute
I remember a time in which random people bitching and moaning about
random shit would never be quoted for news stories nor written about,
nor would the news media ever portray it as if it was truly
representative of any large segment of the population beyond those
expressing such an opinion.

This isn't news. This isn't worth dragging into another form of media.
If you want to comment, don't publish a story in The Daily Wire. Post
your own comment on that very social media outlet you just read.

Mainstream media these days lacks any ability to differentiate between
trolling and complaints that are way off base and opinions of those who
are informed about the topic they've written about.

Gosh, as a politically conservative news outlet, The Daily Wire is
supposed to be better, yes? It sucks just as much as everything else.

Ubiquitous

Sep 23, 2022, 7:49:34 AM (2 days ago) Sep 23
In article <tggrai$29s$4...@gioia.aioe.org>, davidjo...@yahoo.com wrote:
> On 2022-09-13 6:48 p.m., Ubiquitous wrote:

>> The Emmys were slammed after excluding the late Olivia Newton-John from
>> their “In Memoriam” tribute on Monday.
>>
>> The famed pop music icon died in August after a thirty-year
>> intermittent battle against cancer in August. She was 73.
>>
>> “How do forget Olivia Newton John? How dare you. She is and always will
>> be an icon. And you forgot her?” one social media user fired.
>
>I don't remember her having a television career.

Neither do I, but I presumed she appeared on Australian TV more than here.