JAG question

anim8rfsk

Jun 11, 2021, 3:50:51 PM6/11/21
So Mac, at a cocktail party in a cocktail dress, introduces herself to a
senator as
Major Sarah McKenzie, Judge Advocate General Corp
To which the senator, astonished, replies
A Marine?!

Am I missing something in the above exchange that identifies her branch of
service?

Rhino

Jun 11, 2021, 4:07:52 PM6/11/21
On 2021-06-11 3:50 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> So Mac, at a cocktail party in a cocktail dress, introduces herself to a
> senator as
> Major Sarah McKenzie, Judge Advocate General Corp
> To which the senator, astonished, replies
> A Marine?!
>
> Am I missing something in the above exchange that identifies her branch of
> service?

Maybe he just guessed that she was a Marine? Or wished that she was,
perhaps because he had been a Marine himself?

--
Rhino

BTR1701

Jun 11, 2021, 4:24:32 PM6/11/21
In article
<2076848527.645133305.3...@news.easynews.com>,
anim8rfsk <anim...@cox.net> wrote:

> So Mac, at a cocktail party in a cocktail dress, introduces herself to
> a senator as Major Sarah McKenzie, Judge Advocate General Corp. To
> which the senator, astonished, replies A Marine?!
>
> Am I missing something in the above exchange that identifies her branch of
> service?

No, the only thing you could tell from that is that she's not in the
Navy because there is no "major" rank in the Navy.

anim8rfsk

Jun 11, 2021, 4:25:56 PM6/11/21
If you were going to guess at what a JAG officer was I would think you’d
guess navy. She seems, as a marine, to be the novelty in that office.

Interesting thought about the senator being an Ex marine though.

anim8rfsk

Jun 11, 2021, 4:36:26 PM6/11/21
Really? I did not know that. That’s actually an excellent answer because I
don’t think there’s anybody on the show in JAG that’s not either navy or
marine.

Thanks!

Rhino

Jun 11, 2021, 4:37:26 PM6/11/21
Maybe it's just me but if I'm meeting a stranger, especially one that I
might want to know better, I might well look for something that we have
in common, like being from the same town or in the same line of work. If
I were a senator who'd served in the military, I might ask someone who
was apparently military if they'd served in my same branch of the service.

--
Rhino

BTR1701

Jun 11, 2021, 4:51:39 PM6/11/21
In article
<1907686661.645136353.5...@news.easynews.com>,
Here are the officer ranks and their Navy equivalents:

Army, Marines, Air Force Navy
------------------------ ----
2nd Lieutenant Ensign
1st Lieutenant Lieutenant JG
Captain Lieutenant
Major Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Colonel Commander
Colonel Captain
Brigadier General Rear Admiral (lower half)
Major General Rear Admiral (upper half)
Lieutenant General Vice Admiral
General Admiral
General of the Army / Air Force** Fleet Admiral (wartime only)
(wartime only)

**There is no 5-star rank for Marines

BTR1701

Jun 11, 2021, 4:52:35 PM6/11/21
In article
<1181057756.645135411.6...@news.easynews.com>,
anim8rfsk <anim...@cox.net> wrote:

> Rhino <no_offlin...@example.com> wrote:
> > On 2021-06-11 3:50 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> >> So Mac, at a cocktail party in a cocktail dress, introduces herself to a
> >> senator as
> >> Major Sarah McKenzie, Judge Advocate General Corp
> >> To which the senator, astonished, replies
> >> A Marine?!
> >>
> >> Am I missing something in the above exchange that identifies her branch of
> >> service?
> >>
> > Maybe he just guessed that she was a Marine? Or wished that she was,
> > perhaps because he had been a Marine himself?

> If you were going to guess at what a JAG officer was I would think you’d
> guess navy.

All branches have a JAG corps. She'd not be any more likely to be in the
Navy than Army or Air Force or Marines.

anim8rfsk

Jun 11, 2021, 5:13:08 PM6/11/21
I would have no problem whatsoever with him asking. I was surprised he took
it for granted, but BTR gave a good reason for that.

Rhino

Jun 11, 2021, 5:14:22 PM6/11/21
Except that there are no Majors, Lt. Cols, Colonels, or Generals in the
Navy ;-)

--
Rhino

Horace LaBadie

Jun 11, 2021, 5:16:13 PM6/11/21
The Navy has by tradition had its own system.

For instance, a Second Lieutenant in the Marines is not the same pay
grade or rank equivalent as a Second Lieutenant in the Navy. The Navy
has that weird Ensign that is equal to 2nd. Lt. in Army, Air Force and
Marines (and Space Force). Ensign throws off every rank above by one
from the other services.

Rhino

Jun 11, 2021, 5:17:14 PM6/11/21
Where do Commodores fit in? In Star Trek, which was clearly modelled on
the Navy, Commodore Decker clearly outranked Kirk but I've never been
clear just where a Commodore is in the Navy org chart.

--
Rhino

anim8rfsk

Jun 11, 2021, 5:23:23 PM6/11/21
LOL well then his assumption turns stupid again.
In his Wikipedia article, Ian says there is a JAG for the
Army
Air Force
Coast Guard
Navy
And the Marines are included under the Navy.

anim8rfsk

Jun 11, 2021, 5:23:25 PM6/11/21
Interesting. Mac is a major and Harm is a Lieutenant Commander so they are
equivalent. At least at this point in the series.

Thanks again!

anim8rfsk

Jun 11, 2021, 5:38:11 PM6/11/21
Commodore falls before between a captain and an admiral. The difference is
generally that a captain is in charge of one ship and a Commodore is in
charge of multiple ships. Of course that’s not the way Star Trek used it.
Certainly not for Decker anyway.

I think that is how they used it in the ultimate computer though where four
starships were chasing the enterprise. The guy in charge, Bob Wesley, was
a Commodore.

BTR1701

Jun 11, 2021, 5:48:41 PM6/11/21
In article <sa0jsm$9nm$2...@dont-email.me>,
Commodore was a title/rank in the early years of America's Navy. It's
modern-day equivalent would be Rear Admiral (LH). Today, it is no longer
an official rank in the Navy, but continues to be used as an honorary
title for those senior captains in command of operational organizations
composed of multiple sub-units, i.e., command of more than one ship at a
time or multiple aviation squadrons.

Rhino

Jun 11, 2021, 7:36:00 PM6/11/21
I thought the Marines were a fully separate service, like the Air Force,
and not just a subset of the Navy.
Also, Ian's list should add the Space Force to be up-to-date ;-)

--
Rhino

Rhino

Jun 11, 2021, 7:45:57 PM6/11/21
Thanks!

--
Rhino

Rhino

Jun 11, 2021, 7:47:23 PM6/11/21
Thank you!

I would also have accepted that Commodore was an early 8 bit computer
sold in the late 90s.... ;-)
--
Rhino

Adam H. Kerman

Jun 11, 2021, 8:40:35 PM6/11/21
I don't know this: Does Coast Guard share JAG with the Navy? Do Army and
Air Force share? And Space Force, has anyone had to violate the Miliary
Code of Justice?

Adam H. Kerman

Jun 11, 2021, 8:42:42 PM6/11/21
Nah. You Navy boys are nice enough to give us Marines a lift to the
battle!

I don't get why Coast Guard is separate as during war it's part of the

anim8rfsk

Jun 11, 2021, 11:09:47 PM6/11/21
The Coast Guard has its own all redheaded female NCIS as well.

>> Also, Ian’s list should add the Space Force to be up-to-date ;-)

Space force is under the umbrella of the Air Force.
They are responsible for 77 spacecraft although for the life of me I can’t
figure out what they are.

Adam H. Kerman

Jun 11, 2021, 11:18:29 PM6/11/21
Since they're at No Longer Vandenberg, it sounds like the Air Force kept
the Stargate.

Dimensional Traveler

Jun 11, 2021, 11:46:23 PM6/11/21
Various intelligence gathering satellites most likely.

--
Troll, troll, troll your post gently down the thread
Angrily, angrily, angrily, the net's a nut's scream.

anim8rfsk

Jun 12, 2021, 12:14:10 AM6/12/21
Yeah, that’s all I could think of, assuming you consider satellites to be a
spacecraft.

BTR1701

Jun 12, 2021, 12:23:16 AM6/12/21
Not any more. Trump made it a co-equal Branch with the Army, Navy, Marines,
and Air Force.

Horace LaBadie

Jun 12, 2021, 12:23:32 AM6/12/21
In article
<319760500.645163523.23...@news.easynews.com>,
Space Force has been separated, and is a standalone branch. They use the
Star Trek delta on their uniforms. The X-37 might be in their command
now.

A Friend

Jun 12, 2021, 5:32:13 AM6/12/21
In article
<1165054778.645159209.6...@news.easynews.com>,
anim8rfsk <anim...@cox.net> wrote:

> Space force is under the umbrella of the Air Force.

Not since the end of 2019, when it became a separate service.

> They are responsible for 77 spacecraft although for the life of me I
> canšt figure out what they are.

I don't think we're supposed to.

anim8rfsk

Jun 12, 2021, 8:16:16 AM6/12/21
> you

Did it ever go through? Wiki said some of trumps stuff never came to be.

anim8rfsk

Jun 12, 2021, 8:16:16 AM6/12/21
They have two of them. That was the only specific I was able to confirm.

A Friend

Jun 12, 2021, 8:46:59 AM6/12/21
In article
<1092871835.645172826.7...@news.easynews.com>,
anim8rfsk <anim...@cox.net> wrote:

> BTR1701 <no_e...@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> > anim8rfsk <anim...@cox.net> wrote:

> >> The Coast Guard has its own all redheaded female NCIS as well.

> >> Space force is under the umbrella of the Air Force.
> >
> > Not any more. Trump made it a co-equal Branch with the Army, Navy, Marines,
> > and Air Force.
> > you
>
> Did it ever go through? Wiki said some of trumps stuff never came to be.

The U.S. Space Force came into its own on Dec 20 2019. It is an
independent branch of the armed services.

Ed Stasiak

Jun 12, 2021, 9:09:55 AM6/12/21
> Adam H. Kerman
>
> I don't get why Coast Guard is separate as during war it's part of the Navy.

Because the Coast Guard was originally a civilian law enforcement force used
as tax collectors catching smugglers (they’re still mostly “aqua-cops”) due to
the prohibition against the military being used for civilian law enforcement.

During war time, the Coast Guard kinda takes over the less combat oriented Navy
duties such as coastal patrols and escorting merchant ships. My buddy’s dad was
in the Coast Guard during the Korean War and was sent off to Japan to carry out
the Navy’s post-WWII occupation requirements, as the Navy was busy dealing with
the ChiComs and Norks.

Adam H. Kerman

Jun 12, 2021, 1:37:00 PM6/12/21
I thought that was National Reconnaissance Office, not Air Force.

Adam H. Kerman

Jun 12, 2021, 1:44:23 PM6/12/21
I am aware of the Revenue Cutter origin of Coast Guard (and U.S.
Customs, for that matter) and that at the beginning of the republic, the
Navy was scrapped between wars.

It just seemed like Coast Guard JAG could have been combined. Even as
civilians, isn't Coast Guard subject to UCMJ?